Visual range of aircrafts?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

vcharng #1 Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3878 battles

Anyone know how far can we spot enemy planes?

I just found out that my Blenheim IV early can stay undetected in T3 games even when I am directly above enemy planes flying at normal combat altitude, so I'm thinking about buying some camo for my bombers, but it would be better if I can find out just how effective these camos are. I know they reduce 10% detectability, but I need to know how far the original defection range is.

Thanks for any info in advance.

trikke #2 Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Captain

• 3626 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

oh i know what you mean... i bought the camo for the blennie for all 4 seasons because it's so cheap

as far as i can tell, it's like an invisibility cloaking device, because nobody comes up after me, not even bots

or the T3 meta doesn't make it possible for new folks to fly high enough to shoot down human bombers

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

vcharng #3 Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

• 3878 battles

View Posttrikke, on 07 January 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

oh i know what you mean... i bought the camo for the blennie for all 4 seasons because it's so cheap

as far as i can tell, it's like an invisibility cloaking device, because nobody comes up after me, not even bots

or the T3 meta doesn't make it possible for new folks to fly high enough to shoot down human bombers

Well no one ever bothered me too, even without Blenheim's camo, except another Blenheim.

I'm thinking about making higher-tier bombers invisible, like perhaps my Ju 88A or Do 217M.

SpiritFoxMY #4 Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4917 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postvcharng, on 07 January 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Well no one ever bothered me too, even without Blenheim's camo, except another Blenheim.

I'm thinking about making higher-tier bombers invisible, like perhaps my Ju 88A or Do 217M.

The reason no one comes after you has as much to do with the low max ceiling of most tier 3s as the lack of visual range. Because most planes fly so low, they can't get within the 2k or so spotting range. I think there's only one plane that can reach you at your max at tier 3

At higher tiers, the discrepancy in altitude is a lot less so there's no guarantee you'll go unspotted and unengaged

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 07 January 2018 - 12:46 PM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

vcharng #5 Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

• 3878 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 07 January 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

At higher tiers, the discrepancy in altitude is a lot less so there's no guarantee you'll go unspotted and unengaged

Yup, that's exactly why I want to know the visual range: to find out which is the best tier where camo would actually make a difference.

Blenheim doesn't even need one, but Do 217M would probably be spotted anyway, so I think it's probably somewhere in between.

trikke #6 Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

Captain

• 3626 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
#smarterpilotsdon'tbuycamofortheT3blennie
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

LMG #7 Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles
I think planes start spotting each other around 2k meters, give or take
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Mercsn #8 Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
If you are in a cloud or have the sun at your back, you are also harder/impossible to detect.  This is more likely the cause of you apparently not being detected than view distance...because if you could see them, they should have been able to see you.  Further, if it was bots their ai may have given them a higher priority.  If it was players, they may have left you alone because they know they can't climb to you if you are very high...or they may have not realized you were a human, if they didn't pay attention to the score card, and ai "player bot" bombers are terrible.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

ArrowZ_ #9 Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles
Um,  pretty sure that's not how camo works in wowp. You have to be near the ground for the bonus to take effect. I could be wrong but those ga players might know more. 

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Mercsn #10 Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostArrowZ_, on 07 January 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

Um,  pretty sure that's not how camo works in wowp. You have to be near the ground for the bonus to take effect. I could be wrong but those ga players might know more. 

In the old days, camo that matched the map was a straight 10% reduction in how far away you could be seen. 

If you were under 50m AGL, you had additional camo (or reduced range at which you could be spotted), at least GA got the low alt bonus.  I'm not sure if fighters did because if you needee to hide in a fighter, at end of match to save a supremacy win, you climbed as high as possible. 

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:34 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4917 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMercsn, on 07 January 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

If you are in a cloud or have the sun at your back, you are also harder/impossible to detect.  This is more likely the cause of you apparently not being detected than view distance...because if you could see them, they should have been able to see you.  Further, if it was bots their ai may have given them a higher priority.  If it was players, they may have left you alone because they know they can't climb to you if you are very high...or they may have not realized you were a human, if they didn't pay attention to the score card, and ai "player bot" bombers are terrible.

He could just be spotting them through his teammates

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

vcharng #12 Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:36 AM

• 3878 battles

View PostMercsn, on 07 January 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

My situation was exactly that we weren't able to see each other. I was flying my Blenheim IV at 3000m, and then I noticed there's something invisible trying to take the same neutral point from me.

Only after they got the point and climbed to a higher altitude were I able to identify them: 2 fighters and a GA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users