XP-50

Ripoff

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ThunderHyde #1 Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

Airman Basic

• 336 battles

I bought the XP-50 last December.

At first I thought I just didn't have a handle on the plane. However, after a few dozens of fights, I can honestly say I got ripped off!!!!!!!

It's supposed to be fast but same tier fighters have no trouble keeping up with it.

It's supposed to be good in close combat. However, gun overheats in seconds and most bombers with full life can destroy the plane with their rear cannons before the F-50 can take them down.

It gets out maneuvered by most heavy fighters. Lower tier fighters and multi role planes simply laugh when they see the XP-50 arrive because they know they can take the plane down with a minimum of skills.

Dropped bombs do little damage... when they even manage to hit the target.

Basically, this plane sucks. DO NOT BUY IT UNLESS IT GETS BUFFED!!!!!

In fact, I find my tier V P-38F superior to the tier VI XP-50 in every, and I mean EVERY, aspect of the game. I would much rather enter tier VI and tier VII battles with the former than the later. That, to me, makes absolutely no sense!

I write that I was ripped off because the plane description says it's the fastest tier VI by far, maneuverable, and better in close combat than most heavy fighters. All of which are false.

I am really ticked off about this rip off of a plane.

Edited by ThunderHyde, 07 January 2018 - 07:42 AM.

DasTomas77 #2 Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 543 battles
Learn how to play, then judge something. Now you have no idea what are you talking about.  

StoptheViolins #3 Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1373 battles
I find the XF-50 quite a PITA in a skilled player's hands.  And bots.  Bots do horrible things with it and the F7F.

Mercsn #4 Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 969 battles

View PostStoptheViolins, on 07 January 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

I find the XF-50 quite a PITA in a skilled player's hands. And bots. Bots do horrible things with it and the F7F.

Good lord, if a bot lucks out with an ace or even just veteran ai skill level, they can really lay the hurt on the other team's bots...and even players.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Mercsn #5 Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 969 battles

View PostThunderHyde, on 07 January 2018 - 01:39 AM, said:

I bought the XP-50 last December.

At first I thought I just didn't have a handle on the plane. However, after a few dozens of fights, I can honestly say I got ripped off!!!!!!!

It's supposed to be fast but same tier fighters have no trouble keeping up with it.

It's supposed to be good in close combat. However, gun overheats in seconds and most bombers with full life can destroy the plane with their rear cannons before the F-50 can take them down.

It gets out maneuvered by most heavy fighters. Lower tier fighters and multi role planes simply laugh when they see the XP-50 arrive because they know they can take the plane down with a minimum of skills.

Dropped bombs do little damage... when they even manage to hit the target.

Basically, this plane sucks. DO NOT BUY IT UNLESS IT GETS BUFFED!!!!!

In fact, I find my tier V P-38F superior to the tier VI XP-50 in every, and I mean EVERY, aspect of the game. I would much rather enter tier VI and tier VII battles with the former than the later. That, to me, makes absolutely no sense!

I write that I was ripped off because the plane description says it's the fastest tier VI by far, maneuverable, and better in close combat than most heavy fighters. All of which are false.

I am really ticked off about this rip off of a plane.

First, tier 6 is where a lot of planes kinda end up in a bad spot.   Tier 5 is the strongest of the lower tiers and tier 6 is the weakest of the higher tiers, essentially.  It's a growing pains tier for a lot of craft, it seems. 

Unlike the other WWII air game, WG's premiums are not intended to be as powerful as tech tree counterparts, although in some cases, due to the unrestricted nature of aerial combat, they can actually be as effective or even more effective, particularly when there isn't something very similar in the tech tree.

If you look at the premium tier 5 Bf-109 E-3 that's currently on sale and compare it to the tech tree tier 5 Bf-109 E, you'll find the premium is missing a hub gun and some speed.  The point of a premium plane is to earn extra credits and offer faster training to the crew.  The point of a premium is not to be the best plane in its role and tier.

Honestly, 300 battles is a little on the low side of learning experience in this game, especially with a heavily turn-fight biased meta.   I don't own that aircraft, but I will guess that you it is probably a combination of the plane not being strong for its tier and class (but useful for earning credits and training crew -kind of like the tier 8 Me109 TL) along with you not operating it in a manner that is required to be successful with it.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Onyx #6 Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:53 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 696 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostMercsn, on 07 January 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

WG's premiums are not intended to be as powerful as tech tree counterparts

Yeah, but then you run into strange oddities like the P-80A v P-51H, where the P-80A is literally an upgrade over the P-51H in every meaningful way except boost time (8 v 12), stall speed (180 v 140) and optimum ceiling (2200 v 2500), and that's really about it.  The P-80 has nose guns (seems to be more accurate) that do higher DPS, it accelerates faster to a higher speed, rolls faster (180 v 150) and is largely identical otherwise.  It's a really bizarre case study of how balancing moving into 2.0 was handled and how broken it is in some cases.

That said, I'd still argue the XP-50 is a bad premium.  It's not especially fast, its DPS is woefully lacking for the tier, especially by heavy standards, mixed range doesn't help its DPS, and its bombload is too weak to make waves by quickly capping a base or delaying a cap from taking a strategic point.  Pretty much every tier 6 premium on sale directly in game is arguably better than the XP-50, at least on paper if not in practice as I've only used a handful of them personally.

That said, tier 6 definitely is a really weird spot for planes.  A textbook example of a "hell tier" where the vehicles before it aren't too far removed (if at all) and the vehicles ahead of it vastly outperform it.  It needs adjustments across the board on many planes.

Edited by Onyx, 08 January 2018 - 03:54 AM.

Johnny_Wishbone #7 Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 289 battles

Well, the P-80A was originally meant only to be a weird unicorn plane for supertesters and rare giveaways.  When they realized how much of a demand there was for it, I think they opened up to selling it a bit more widely than they did before, and they created this whole "Type 59 effect."

I agree with you on the issue of Tier 6 being a tricky tier, but only because it has to face tier 8s, which, I think we can agree, is like the Yankees playing the Stockton Ports.  Tier 7 is really weird, though, because most tier 7s are either somewhat nerfed tier 8s (Bf 109Z, I-220), or VERY slightly buffed tier 6s (Bf 109G, La-7), which makes that a pretty frustrating tier to play sometimes.

Edited by Johnny_Wishbone, 22 January 2018 - 12:28 AM.

pyantoryng #8 Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 892 battles

XP-50...I fought so hard to get it (and the Ki-88), and it turned out to be meh at best...

In 2.0 I can't see the heavy weapons favoring meta to do it any favors...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users