So, you have your new bomber.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

comtedumas #1 Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 4396 battles
  • [FK] FK

So you have your first bomber.  Here are some tips to use it to its best advantage.  This won’t address the A-26B.

1.  Training room.  Take your new bomber in the training room and learn how it flies.  Find out how high it will go.  That’s important for bombers.  

2.  How to climb.  With the Blenheim, make your climb angle (up) about 25 degrees, and press boost.  You need to move forward as much as you are moving up.  Your speed should remain constant, if it is getting faster you can increase your angle up until you start losing speed.  At that point, adjust the angle down until you are getting faster slowly or you are at a steady speed.  Keep adjusting the angle because  the higher you go the more you will slow down.  Your goal on climbing is 9500-11000 feet high.  Ideally you max altitude should be right under the red zone.  Not all fighters can get up to you up there, and those that can have to work to do it.  Altitude is life in a bomber.

3.  Plan your attack.  Look at the map, find a route so you can attack one target then have another lined up to drop on it without a lot of course adjustments.  Most of the ground targets have natural “lines of target squares you can fly down and drop bombs on, look for them as you fly over.  

4.  How to drop single bombs.  It’s more difficult that just clicking the mouse.  With bombers that drops single bombs, you want to try to hit in the middle of the individual targets in the ground squares.  For example, the one ground target with Four tents in a square are not necessarily in the center of the ground square marked out with the stone wall.  Dropping a bomb in the center of the ground square might not kill everything.  Two bombs will but that’s a waste.  

5.  How to drop a “string” of bombs.  The Do17 and Ju88a have 20 small bombs they drop in a string of 4 at a time.  If you drop on the center of the target you will miss.  Here is how to use “strings of bombs:  line up on your target square.  If you can go from corner to corner diagonally it’s best, but straight from one side to the other works too.  As you fly over, drop your bombs right before the stone wall of the target square.  Don’t wait for the aim point to turn orange, if you do that, you will miss.  You want to drop a line of bombs across the middle of the target square, not one bomb into the middle of the target.  

6.  On a drop you migh not kill everything.  That’s ok.  Move on to your next planned target.  You can’t turn tight enough to turn around and get it.  Keep going, dropping bombs or strings as you go.  Once you drop your last string, go out of the bombsite and check your altitude, make sure you didn’t go up into the red, that’s bad, you will dramatically slow down in the red.  The Ju88a goes into the red at about 11200 feet, you want to be around 11000 or so, Blenheim around 10000.  

7.  Fighters.  Realistically only heavy fighters and other bombers can get up to your height, with a few exceptions.  (P-47N, F4U-4). They have the engine power to get to you, they have the speed to catch you and the firepower to take you down.  You can try running, you can try using the turret.  If the heavy fighter is damaged, you might kill them.  Don’t count on it, though.  Points wise you might be better off to keep bombing.  If you are attacked by a bomber, it might be better to fight it out with turrets, especially if he is dumb enough not to man his turret.  

8.  Once you are out of bombs, keep going straight or away from the ground target, maybe wobble your wings abound some to avoid a little AA..  You have to let the bombs reload.  Blenheim is 20 seoncds, Ju88a is 40.  Once you are past the targets and your reload counter is about half way down turn back and line up for your next run.  By the time you get back to the ground targets you should have bombs 

Ready to go.  

9.  Target selection.  I always go for the high altitude AA guns first, they will eat you alive if you just ignore them.  Airfields have no high altitude AA, mining plants have 8.  If you are the only one there you don’t have anyone to kill them for you, so drop bombs on them as you go.  You might want to kill some of the low altitude AA guns too, help out the GAA, they are your friends.  

Edited by comtedumas, 06 January 2018 - 10:05 AM.

comtedumas #2 Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

• 4396 battles
  • [FK] FK

1.  “Swing” bombing.  (String bombing only). You should never drop bombs in a turn.   HOWEVER, there is one situation where you can and might be happy with the results.  If you happen to turn back to a target too soon. But your reticle will pass along the top side of the stone wall marking out your ground target, drop your bombs right before the reticle reaches the stone wall on the swing through the target and continue the turn.   I have seen that the bombs will fall within the target square more likely than not.  Does not seems to work as reliably on single bombs.  I think it might be a programming tactic and I certainly don’t think it has a real world application.  

2.  You want DE skill ASAP on your Pilot to maximise your bomb damage. Even to the point I recommend using Free XP to accelerate training up to that 2nd point.

3.  When climbing flatten out with at least 5 secs of Boost left.  If you run out of boost before flattening out there is a good chance of stalling or at the least you'll be really down-speed & take a long time to regain reasonable speed.

4.  Often you won't reach the optimal height before reaching first target (typically 2200-2500m in Blenheim IV), this is generally OK though because your team should help make it a quick cap so you won't suffer too badly from AA.

4a.  You can use the bomb reload down-time to gain extra height.

4b.  On those first caps don't bomb the closest points, your GAs/Heavies are likely to take those out before your bombs land so its a waste of potential damage & may delay the cap flipping.

5.  My experience you don't always want to be at max height, the higher you are the slower, longer time between targets, longer time transiting between caps.  If nobody is coming after you and the AA aren't shooting at you 2500/2700m is better than 3000m.

6.  If a cap flips while you're part way through dropping your load, don't forget to dump any remaining bombs, you'll want a full reload before the next cap.

7.  Even on each run across a cap most of the time its better to over-bomb and use the full load than to turn around for another partial run.

8. Always check your enemy list before a battle starts. For example, if you're in a T3/T2 game in the Blenheim, and there's no human piloted Fw 57 on the enemy team, you will be reasonably safe at 2500 m (about 8200 ft), you don't have to waste your time climbing all the way to 3000. However, if you have a same tier HF or, worse, higher tier HF with a human pilot on the enemy team, I would suggest climbing to red altitude when bombing and descend to just below red when moving.

9.   Try to get a clue of how many bombs you need to drop on the same target, for example, the Blenheim can kill most of the targets in a T3/T2 game with one bomb, but if you are in a T4/T3 game it's gonna take 2. Dropping too many would be a waste of bombs, while dropping too few may not be enough to kill the whole set of target.

10.  If you encountered a locked cap point (due to just being taken by the enemy), drop your bombs 5~10 seconds before the countdown ends, the targets will be respawned by the time your bombs get to the ground. Likewise, always keep the bomb travelling time in mind, if you are contesting a cap point with the enemy, try to avoid targets on their path as these targets may be destroyed before your bombs reach the ground.

11.  Different bombers need different tactics, force reload on a Do 217M when encountering a locked point may not be a good idea if you have 4~6 bombs left as it takes 60 seconds to reload, while the area will be unlocked in 30. for those bombers with longer reloads like the Ju 88A (40 sec) and the 217M (60 sec), you may want to consider leaving for the next cap point once you have emptied your bomb bay. However, you need to have trustworthy teammates to do this as bots and noobs may fail to cap the point without you. These are the bombers that focus on instantaneous output, but if you are flying a Blenheim (20 seconds reload), the playing style will be very different.

12.  If you are the end of a bomb run and have two strings left in a string bomber (and sometimes in a single bomb bomber) go ahead and dump them both on the target.  You get the counter going to reload and you almost ensure the target is destroyed.  

Edited by comtedumas, 15 January 2018 - 08:36 PM.

comtedumas #3 Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

• 4396 battles
  • [FK] FK

My first A26B tip.  

1.  Use your turret to knock out the engine on your pursuers, then when they break off because they have no engine power quickly turn around and kill them with your 6 .50 cals in the nose.  

2.  Due to the way mastery points work, you actually have to be killed once or twice to get a high mastery point score.  It's counterintuitive, but it's true.  

3.  Before you enter a new capture point, fly in a complete circle first, letting your team bots enter first.  This will make them the targets for AA and Air Defense Aircraft instead of you.  Thanks to Magus Gerhardt where I got this from one of his many videos.  Great source of tips and they are on YouTube.  

Edited by comtedumas, 16 March 2018 - 08:06 PM.

Mercsn #4 Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

I fly bombers at low altitude.  Way more engaging, fun, and accurate. The Blenheim is the only one that's really weak in this role, more because it is single drop (as opposed to ripple drop) than because it's fragile for its tier.

It's very easy to get accurate drops at treetop.  I eliminate the AA first (to help me), then the Flak on 2nd pass (to help my teammates) if the zone didn't flip on the first. 

During the reload time, I help my fighters out by playing gunner.  

If you do draw focus from enemy players, you are fast enough with boost and have enough hitpoints to run out of the zone. You might get shot down, but you aren't giving cap points to the other team if you run out of the zone.  AND, when you pull players and player bots out of zone, it's easier for your team to finish off defense bots or any red planes that didn't chase you. So, it's not good for your score, but it's still helping your team cap. Plus,  when you respawn you are then free to fly to a quieter zone.

So, if anyone is interested in bombers, but finds high altitude play a little too slow or tedious, low altitude is effective in all (even the Blenheim, which is just less fun due to single drop and relative fragility for its tier).

I used my RB17 last night to pull an Xf5-U pancake bot out of a critical zone at end of match to protect my defense bots. I was the last living plane on my team and only human on both teams  still alive. If the pancake bot had flipped that zone (likely,  he got one and a half before I got his attention), we would gave lost because of close score.

A surprised teammate messaged me afterwards saying he was sure it was a loss and it was fin watching me dogfight the pancake in my RB17 to save that zone and secure the win.

Oh, and I had flipped the zone I was defending from the pancake on 2 low altitude passes.  I had been racing to another zone after capping (incase the remaining reds managed to flip the zone the were working on). But, I saw the X5 wander in and wreck a bot.  So, I turned around to engage him and pull him out of the zone to save it.

I wounded him with the TG and it turned back to attack the sector again.  I turned after him again.  Engaged with the nose gun (german bombers can do this too, you just have to hop into the turret to fire forward).  I then attacked with the TG after flying past.  Between the TG and other defense bots, we killed him.  

High altitude wouldn't have allowed the quick capture or the quick engagement of the enemy fighter. 

I don't intend this post as a disagreement with the OP, just as an alternative style.

Edited by Mercsn, 06 January 2018 - 03:21 PM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

trikke #5 Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2038 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i don't score very high, but high altitude bombers are actually fun...       it's really the equivalent to arty in wot, in which i never scored high, either 

i haven't really been bothered much by heavies, but i do climb high and 90% of them give up pretty easily 

i personally love climbing to get them in a heavy, but it does completely remove you from the rest of the battle, which is very diff than arty in wot

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Mercsn #6 Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

View Posttrikke, on 06 January 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

i don't score very high, but high altitude bombers are actually fun...       it's really the equivalent to arty in wot, in which i never scored high, either 

i haven't really been bothered much by heavies, but i do climb high and 90% of them give up pretty easily 

i personally love climbing to get them in a heavy, but it does completely remove you from the rest of the battle, which is very diff than arty in wot

CLICKER!!!

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

comtedumas #7 Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

• 4396 battles
  • [FK] FK

Slightly updated, and seeking other bomber pilots tips.  Add them and I will put them in the second post.  Let’s make this helpful for new bomber pilots

hoom #8 Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3538 battles

You want DE skill ASAP on your Pilot to maximise your bomb damage. Even to the point I recommend using Free XP to accelerate training up to that 2nd point.

When climbing flatten out with at least 5 secs of Boost left.

If you run out of boost before flattening out there is a good chance of stalling or at the least you'll be really down-speed & take a long time to regain reasonable speed.

Often you won't reach the optimal height before reaching first target (typically 2200-2500m in Blenheim IV), this is generally OK though because your team should help make it a quick cap so you won't suffer too badly from AA.

You can use the bomb reload down-time to gain extra height.

On those first caps don't bomb the closest points, your GAs/Heavies are likely to take those out before your bombs land so its a waste of potential damage & may delay the cap flipping.

My experience you don't always want to be at max height, the higher you are the slower, longer time between targets, longer time transiting between caps.

If nobody is coming after you and the AA aren't shooting at you 2500/2700m is better than 3000m.

If a cap flips while you're part way through dropping your load, don't forget to dump any remaining bombs, you'll want a full reload before the next cap.

Even on each run across a cap most of the time its better to over-bomb and use the full load than to turn around for another partial run.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

comtedumas #9 Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

• 4396 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Posthoom, on 09 January 2018 - 05:55 AM, said:

You want DE skill ASAP on your Pilot to maximise your bomb damage. Even to the point I recommend using Free XP to accelerate training up to that 2nd point.

When climbing flatten out with at least 5 secs of Boost left.

If you run out of boost before flattening out there is a good chance of stalling or at the least you'll be really down-speed & take a long time to regain reasonable speed.

Often you won't reach the optimal height before reaching first target (typically 2200-2500m in Blenheim IV), this is generally OK though because your team should help make it a quick cap so you won't suffer too badly from AA.

You can use the bomb reload down-time to gain extra height.

On those first caps don't bomb the closest points, your GAs/Heavies are likely to take those out before your bombs land so its a waste of potential damage & may delay the cap flipping.

My experience you don't always want to be at max height, the higher you are the slower, longer time between targets, longer time transiting between caps.

If nobody is coming after you and the AA aren't shooting at you 2500/2700m is better than 3000m.

If a cap flips while you're part way through dropping your load, don't forget to dump any remaining bombs, you'll want a full reload before the next cap.

Even on each run across a cap most of the time its better to over-bomb and use the full load than to turn around for another partial run.

While I disagree on some of your height recommendations, I agree not everybody will agree with me,  I think higher will better, but I try to max out engine power as much as possible.  DE as a requirement I wholeheartedly agree with.  

vcharng #10 Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2186 battles

As a bomber pilot who flies every bomber but the Do 17Z, I wish to add the following tips:

1. always check your enemy list before a battle starts. For example, if you're in a T3/T2 game in the Blenheim, and there's no human piloted Fw 57 on the enemy team, you will be reasonably safe at 2500 m (about 8200 ft), you don't have to waste your time climbing all the way to 3000. However, if you have a same tier HF or, worse, higher tier HF with a human pilot on the enemy team, I would suggest climbing to red altitude when bombing and descend to just below red when moving.

2. try to get a clue of how many bombs you need to drop on the same target, for example, the Blenheim can kill most of the targets in a T3/T2 game with one bomb, but if you are in a T4/T3 game it's gonna take 2. Dropping too many would be a waste of bombs, while dropping too few may not be enough to kill the whole set of target.

3. if you encountered a locked cap point (due to just being taken by the enemy), drop your bombs 5~10 seconds before the countdown ends, the targets will be respawned by the time your bombs get to the ground. Likewise, always keep the bomb travelling time in mind, if you are contesting a cap point with the enemy, try to avoid targets on their path as these targets may be destroyed before your bombs reach the ground.

4. different bombers need different tactics, force reload on a Do 217M when encountering a locked point may not be a good idea if you have 4~6 bombs left as it takes 60 seconds to reload, while the area will be unlocked in 30. for those bombers with longer reloads like the Ju 88A (40 sec) and the 217M (60 sec), you may want to consider leaving for the next cap point once you have emptied your bomb bay. However, you need to have trustworthy teammates to do this as bots and noobs may fail to cap the point without you. These are the bombers that focus on instantaneous output, but if you are flying a Blenheim (20 seconds reload), the playing style will be very different.

legoboy0401 #11 Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 389 battles

View Posttrikke, on 06 January 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Yes, but there is one critical difference. Bombers are hands-on, mobility gameplay. Most artillery in WoT are not.

Remember, remember the 14th of... June, the day of patch 2.05.  Some say it's great end-game content, some say it's horrible, but history will always recall which it actually was.

Spoiler

trikke #12 Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2038 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

all excellent pro tips!

i've flown the a-26 low since day 1, but i've never had the balls to fly the others low

but i will try out all these ideas this coming week...

comtedumas #13 Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:26 PM

• 4396 battles
  • [FK] FK
Big new tip listed above.  

trikke #14 Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2038 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postcomtedumas, on 06 January 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

2.  Due to the way mastery points work, you actually have to be killed once or twice to get a high mastery point score.  It's counterintuitive, but it's true.  

counterintuitive?        more like... when we all found out about this, i was thunderstruck 

someone guessed it was to prevent top players from dominating, but it hurts everyone who flies defensively 

which is probably more than half of us...  probably

Azanthriel #15 Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:51 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1606 battles
  • [-AK-] -AK-

View Postcomtedumas, on 06 January 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

I have been staying alive. Would lawn darting count outside a zone or do you need to be shot down?

Alpha Tester World of Tanks Generals & Beta Tester For Total War Arena

comtedumas #16 Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

• 4396 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostAzanthriel, on 21 February 2018 - 12:51 AM, said:

I have been staying alive. Would lawn darting count outside a zone or do you need to be shot down?

​as far as i can tell, you just need to die, doesn't matter how.  

hoom #17 Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:10 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3538 battles

Block Quote

Most artillery in WoT are not.

Part of that is because WG nerfed the few that were mobile because good players who utilised the mobility made them incredibly powerful.

Back in the day I was a big proponent of mobile arty play, eg was absolutely hilarious taking a Soviet 203mm up the hill on Malinovka & popping the ppl 'safely' tucked in behind buildings :teethhappy:

But after mobility nerfs it became really hard to actually move more than a few vehicle lengths while still contributing meaningful fire.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

comtedumas #18 Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

• 4396 battles
  • [FK] FK

Another new tip on post 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users