FW 109 A-1 Woes

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

StoptheViolins #21 Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1470 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 10 January 2018 - 04:51 AM, said:

I molest GA in absolutely everything I fly.  ;)  FW 190 A-1 doesn't go high enough for bombers, though.  Can hit some heavies if they drop low enough. I also found it able to take out AA guns if there are no fighters defending them.

I just noticed that the bots talk to each other in battle chat occasionally.  I'm not sure if that's meant to be cute, or they're actually trying to fool us into thinking there are more players?

Occasionally I get a bot on the team that likes to say he is "stock".  

Keep in mind that fighters can't take the same beating as MR's when it comes to attacking GA's.  Add in the concealment livery that MR's get and they are better than most fighters at GA hunting.  Just be happy GA's front gun damage is nerfed vs aerial targets.

Captain_Rownd #22 Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles
Manouverability seems to be pretty much everything in this game.  Once an enemy fighter has a bead on you there's really no way out of it besides either out-turning them or hoping an allied plane brushes them off. Sometimes I get shot down by the same more manouverable player 3 or 4 times in a row. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 15 January 2018 - 04:21 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #23 Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1885 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 15 January 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

Manouverability seems to be pretty much everything in this game.  Once an enemy fighter has a bead on you there's really no way out of it besides either out-turning them or hoping an allied plane brushes them off. 

Not really. Depending on each other's energy state, you can boost out of range in MRs and HFs. Granted you'll take a lot of damage doing that but better a chance to escape than guaranteed death in a turn battle with someone who's just straight up better in that sphere

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Captain_Rownd #24 Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 January 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

Not really. Depending on each other's energy state, you can boost out of range in MRs and HFs. Granted you'll take a lot of damage doing that but better a chance to escape than guaranteed death in a turn battle with someone who's just straight up better in that sphere

If you lose 50-80% of your HP while trying to boost away, in exchange for getting maybe 20% off the other guy's HP because flying in fast you can only hit a short burst on them, and then you have to leave the cap and not fire your guns for while to recharge boost, you might survive for the moment but how are you ever going to win? 

Last 4 games in MiG-3 I've been #1 on the team, and just before that I was struggling with the American and German fighters

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 15 January 2018 - 11:13 AM.

vcharng #25 Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2141 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 15 January 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

If you lose 50-80% of your HP while trying to boost away, in exchange for getting maybe 20% off the other guy's HP because flying in fast you can only hit a short burst on them, and then you have to leave the cap and not fire your guns for while to recharge boost, you might survive for the moment but how are you ever going to win? 

Last 4 games in MiG-3 I've been #1 on the team, and just before that I was struggling with the American and German fighters

If your enemy is still at full HP at the moment you are boosting away, you already failed as a BnZ plane. He should've been wounded when you approached him earlier already.

SpiritFoxMY #26 Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1885 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 15 January 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I've never had an issue erasing most of a target's HP in a pass. At least with the 190 A-5. A-1 was always iffy but I was flying against weaker bots and weaker humans then. My HP total just determines how risky a dive I can make and the lower my HP the more picky I am at target selection

It just might not suit you - it does take a certain predatory playstyle rather than as a brawler. Pick off the weak and the stupid, never take a fair fight, pick only on isolated targets you can get at in a straightest line possible even if there's one nearby you could nail if you yank your nose at him. You should be able to tell if you can win a fight after the first turn:  if its anything close to a fair fight, run. 

Captain_Rownd #27 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles

View Postvcharng, on 15 January 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

If your enemy is still at full HP at the moment you are boosting away, you already failed as a BnZ plane. He should've been wounded when you approached him earlier already.

Enemies - there are lots of them, constantly moving in different directions, appearing, disappearing, turning, etc...

Captain_Rownd #28 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 January 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

It just might not suit you - it does take a certain predatory playstyle rather than as a brawler. Pick off the weak and the stupid, never take a fair fight, pick only on isolated targets you can get at in a straightest line possible even if there's one nearby you could nail if you yank your nose at him. You should be able to tell if you can win a fight after the first turn:  if its anything close to a fair fight, run. 

Yeah, I don't think I can play that way.  I dive into the middle of the furrball and keep the guns firing at everything that moves.  :D 

Captain_Rownd #29 Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles
Oh my....the Yak-7 is even worse in all areas.  Slow, unmanouverable, short boost, low ceiling, low DPM.  And that's with being able to mount the top engine and upgraded guns right away.  It just can't do anything except get shot down very quickly. It's basically a ground attack plane without the tailgunner or hit points.

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 16 January 2018 - 07:01 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #30 Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1885 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Its probably just your perception - statistically the Yak turns tighter than the Focke Wulf and the Republic and is comparable to the Wildcat. But turning is only part of an aircraft's performance and I never liked the Wildcat

Captain_Rownd #31 Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 16 January 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Its probably just your perception - statistically the Yak turns tighter than the Focke Wulf and the Republic and is comparable to the Wildcat. But turning is only part of an aircraft's performance and I never liked the Wildcat

Yes perception.  The Yak has less speed so the poor manouverability feels more pronounced.  Also, it sure seems like the Yak-7 spends more time unresponsive due to damage.  With both the FW and Yak-7 I've turned to concentrating on taking out ships and AA mounts, or ground attack planes and occasionally heavies. The rockets are the only reason I continued with it.

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 16 January 2018 - 08:13 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #32 Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1885 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 16 January 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Yes perception.  The Yak has less speed so the poor manouverability feels more pronounced.  Also, it sure seems like the Yak-7 spends more time unresponsive due to damage.  With both the FW and Yak-7 I've turned to concentrating on taking out ships and AA mounts, or ground attack planes and occasionally heavies. The rockets are the only reason I continued with it.

Well if you're determined, use the A-1 to plink DDs on the island maps or help clear heavy AA for your bombers - the Player bombers will thank you

But you're still better as a fighter. Just pick on targets of opportunity like GAAs or low flying heavies. The A-5 is my favorite airplane in WoWp for a reason so keep on trucking. Once you get to t8, it'll be worth it - at least for a TnB like you

vcharng #33 Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2141 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 15 January 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Enemies - there are lots of them, constantly moving in different directions, appearing, disappearing, turning, etc...

BnZ plane 101: always take out the one who will try to bite your tail. It can be either an HF who is in position of turning to your tail after you go through the furball, or a turn fighter.

If you're diving into a furball, look for human piloted Japanese planes or Spitfires, they will come back to bite you later on.

And if there's more than one of them... well you can't win every time, especially when you're going alone against two or more guys.

LMG #34 Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 16 January 2018 - 01:33 AM, said:

Oh my....the Yak-7 is even worse in all areas.  Slow, unmanouverable, short boost, low ceiling, low DPM.  And that's with being able to mount the top engine and upgraded guns right away.  It just can't do anything except get shot down very quickly. It's basically a ground attack plane without the tailgunner or hit points.

Though the heavy Yaks do make up in raw damage. With the 37 you knock out fighters in 2-3 shots from ranges they can't engage in. The Yak-9 can straight up one-shot some fighters from even further away. Not even my GAAs survive a Yak attack :ohmy:

Edited by LMG, 16 January 2018 - 02:52 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Wombatmetal #35 Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 754 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 15 January 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

I have 26 games in my Yak 7 which translates to 30 sorties. I have shot down 181 planes and 100 some odd defense craft.

It doesn't get shot down easy and tears up the other team. I daresay you are not flying to it's strengths

Captain_Rownd #36 Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 16 January 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

I have 26 games in my Yak 7 which translates to 30 sorties. I have shot down 181 planes and 100 some odd defense craft.

It doesn't get shot down easy and tears up the other team. I daresay you are not flying to it's strengths

Mine says 8 games 24 sorties 1 victory.  I get shot down pretty fast.  It spends most of the time either flying between caps, running away from everything else, or waiting to respawn.  The problem is I haven't identified any strengths besides shooting AA mounts in undefended caps. 

Aerial Targets Destroyed 1.08 26
Ground Targets Destroyed 0.08 2
Damage Caused to Aerial Targets 316.75 7,601
Damage caused to ground targets 551.06 13,225

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 17 January 2018 - 12:46 AM.

LMG #37 Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 16 January 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Mine says 8 games 24 sorties 1 victory.  I get shot down pretty fast.  It spends most of the time either flying between caps, running away from everything else, or waiting to respawn.  The problem is I haven't identified any strengths besides shooting AA mounts in undefended caps. 

Aerial Targets Destroyed 1.08 26
Ground Targets Destroyed 0.08 2
Damage Caused to Aerial Targets 316.75 7,601
Damage caused to ground targets 551.06 13,225

The whole balance of the plane lies in the 37mm cannon. You hit VERY hard from very far away, most likely outside of the engagement range of whatever you're shooting at (aka, you can hit them before they can hit you, and then you hit them again). If you can land your shots, you're golden. Otherwise I'd advise trying a different aircraft, as that's the whole point of that line. From what I've seen in videos, it's ineffective at best vs ground targets, so don't bother unless there's truly nothing else to shoot at

Edited by LMG, 17 January 2018 - 12:49 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Captain_Rownd #38 Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:55 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles

View PostLMG, on 17 January 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

The whole balance of the plane lies in the 37mm cannon. You hit VERY hard from very far away, most likely outside of the engagement range of whatever you're shooting at (aka, you can hit them before they can hit you, and then you hit them again). If you can land your shots, you're golden. Otherwise I'd advise trying a different aircraft, as that's the whole point of that line. From what I've seen in videos, it's ineffective at best vs ground targets, so don't bother unless there's truly nothing else to shoot at

I haven't used the 37mm yet, since I didn't get enough XP until the last game that was finally a victory, then I stopped for the night. Is there a separate trigger for that?  I always have trouble with planes that have mixed guns with different velocities so they fire in different arcs so e.g. the 20mm usually miss what the other guns are hitting. 

The Yak-7 has rockets that can take out a ship or 3 AA mounts per resupply, and even the base-level guns have no problem taking out AA mounts in one pass.  I can fly around a cap taking out all the AA guns one by one in a single loop, as long as no defenders attack me.  Particularly Mining Plants and Military Bases that don't have fighter defenders, and Command Centers are always worth the extra risk anyway.  The FW 190 is also good at clearing out the AA. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 17 January 2018 - 12:59 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #39 Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1885 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I think the Yak multiroles are just made for head-on passing and bushwhacking the unaware. I had a guy in a 9U repeatedly murder me (ok, twice) in my Batplane because I underestimated how much damage he could do in one pass

SpiritFoxMY #40 Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1885 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 17 January 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

The Yak-7 has rockets that can take out a ship or 3 AA mounts per resupply, and even the base-level guns have no problem taking out AA mounts in one pass.  I can fly around a cap taking out all the AA guns one by one in a single loop, as long as no defenders attack me.  Particularly Mining Plants and Military Bases that don't have fighter defenders, and Command Centers are always worth the extra risk anyway.  The FW 190 is also good at clearing out the AA. 

The problem with hitting AA as Mercsn has pointed out repeatedly (and forcefully in his newcomers thread) is that the Cap value vs Risk and Investment just isn't worth it as a primary task. AA suppression is only really valuable over rocket bases which are bristling with them. Everything else you're better off just taking potshots at enemy aircraft as the go sailing by.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users