Dornier Do17Z Equipment Do17Z

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Catch21 #1 Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1178 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

Anyone an opinion on what's best here? Seems likely it's role similar to that of Blenheim IVe (High Altitude bombing), discussed somewhat here.

Skills- working up to Demolition Expert and Precision Gunner for Pilot/Rear Gunner, since I'm unlikely to ever get more than 3 skills on either.

legoboy0401 #2 Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 325 battles

View PostCatch21, on 04 January 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

Anyone an opinion on what's best here? Seems likely it's role similar to that of Blenheim IVe (High Altitude bombing), discussed somewhat here.

Skills- working up to Demolition Expert and Precision Gunner for Pilot/Rear Gunner, since I'm unlikely to ever get more than 3 skills on either.

I've been doing some serious thinking on this and I believe Bombsight(whichever one is available at the plane's tier) Reinforced Airframe(you do see occasional interceptors, and it wouldn't be wise to expect to always be above AA range) and Concealing Livery(because high-altitude AA in 2.0 is mega stronk, enough said)

Once I get mine, I'm going to keep it, so I'm going to go with (the skill that allows you to put out fires by turning, I don't remember it's name, it's a 1 point skill), Demo Expert as you said, and then Protection Expert for the pilot's first 5 skills.

As for the gunner, I'm going Endurance, Defensive Fire, and a free skill point for his first 5 skills. Turrets/gunners have always been quite vulnerable to keep them balanced, but these new German Bombers' defensive turrets seem the most vulnerable of them all, from what I've seen.

In addition, you get quite a lot out of Endurance when you use it on these German Bombers, actually, considering it's only a 1 point skill. You get a lot hardier defense with a minimum of effort when it is used on the new bombers.

On the original Bombers, (not including RB-17 since that Tier VIII Russian Light Bomber is made out of tinfoil and tissue paper) Endurance seems kind of iffy. For the Blenheim(almost misspelled it as the Blehneim) Endurance seems like a waste of time to me.

The turret on the Bristol Blenheim Mark IV(e) is hardly used enough for it to be worthwhile, and even when it is, it's such a garbage turret. Besides, almost no one shoots it anyway. It's not like it's really in a place of convenience to shoot unless you are coming at the Blenheim from a near-vertical dive

The vision skill for the turret gunner that stacks with the Pilot's vision skill is probably the best bet for the Blenheim, so it can get the heck out of the area long before any would-be interceptors get in range.

As for the Douglas A-26B Invader, it's a bit of a toss-up. Sure, you DO get more out of it than the Blenheim, but that would only make it worthwhile if it were played most often in the same mostly lazy, laid-back kind of way that the Blenheim is.

The simple fact, though, is, that at least for now, the A-26B is played mostly as a low-level bomber, NOT a high-level bomber. Different playstyles demand different skills.

Given the dangers of low-level bombing and the fact that the A-26B's 2(yes, we were deceived, the A-26 even in this game has 2 defensive turrets) defensive turrets mostly cover the same horizontal arcs of fire(not counting vertical), there's little need for Endurance.

No, what is needed is Defensive Fire and Precision Gunner on the pronto as the A-26 has very dangerous defenses, so the best thing to do is to get some skills that boost both their defensive capacity and the damage they do(not DPS, rather module damage, to deter enemies).

The RB-17 absolutely, no question about it, NEEDS Endurance. But then again, the RB-17 is one of the only bombers I would seriously consider taking Additional Armor Plates over Concealing Livery. It's just so fragile under any kind of fire. EVERYTHING breaks easily on the RB-17.

Heck, the RB-17 is so stupidly frail that it needs Battle-Tested as one of it's pilot's first skills. Because that improves agility with broken wings and tail, and in addition, it does for the pilot what Endurance does for the gunner.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by legoboy0401, 04 January 2018 - 05:42 PM.

Random Thoughts Of The Day:

World of Warplanes? More like World of Bots-that-are-designed-to-fail-so-you-lose-as-often-as-you-win.

Heavy Fighters? More like Obsolete Flying Bricks.

Attack Aircraft? More like Bomber-wannabes.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users