What am i missing out on?

There i am in my slow [edited] Ground Pounder
After finnally getting to the target area im in Luck,
its empty of anything but Bots!

Great start. lets go smash that AA. 
Guns blaze things go boom  And now my hp pool stops shrinking

oh look a big building <drops a bomb maybe two>
No more building
other stuff is in front of guns  (more bang bang bang ...then boom)

that building still up ? <boom Boom> not any more :)
any little stuff i missed    oh look theres one    (bangbang) 

Subjugation medal <check>
and oops let that bunker live time to fix that  (bangbangbang)

Area cap meter is almost filled out blue and the area will be secured

AND THAT'S WHEN IT ALL GOES TO S***!

>>>the Cap meter plummets to nothing then Locked for the Red team in less time than it takes to read this sentence<<<

Oh yeah Its at this point  there is a (usually soviet) attack craft now on the minimap and oh look he has little friends ... and mine are usually all gone off on some union break no one told me about.

Sometimes if im close to the zone edge furthermost from the inbound reds i can Boost out of there and maybe live to bomb elsewhere ...  or a fast attack kills me anyway.

Usually im right in the middle of said zone and my option is to stick around and go down swinging

My bombs are (sometimes) almost rearmed.
  so if i can stay alive long enough for the cap to lock (because there aint nothing to bomb left) i can have some red targets to blow up 

mean while ill gun down this Red attack craft and any little friend foolish enough to fly in front of me ... 
Drop flaps and  wiggle for my life in the hopes that the [edited]on my 6 over shoots ... HA! Gotcha B****! 

Annnd then im dead.

I just dont understand. It took me 3-4 minutes to cap the point (im teir 4) and then all of a sudden every bit of that effort is snatched out of my hands and the Game wraps it up in a pretty red bow for the enemy.

What am i doing wrong?

Edited by wylleEcoyote, 04 January 2018 - 06:24 AM.

LMG #2 Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:10 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 793 battles

Usually on my GAAs I try to avoid going towards highly contested areas and instead seek out the less-populated ones. Unless I have a trustworthy ally with me, I'd rather attempt to get caps on my own than hope the teammates don't lure enemies towards me or die over the cap. Aside of that, depending on what plane you're flying, getting someone on your six on a low-mid tier GAA is usually a death sentence. On the Bsh-2 your best bet is to get them with bombs or during a head-on attack (either with the guns or by ramming). With the Fw 189 C you can try to soften them up with the tailgun, but it's unlikely you'll take down a fighter from full health before they take you down (once you get to higher tiers, tailguns become A LOT more deadly :playing:). That said, the cannons on both of those aircraft are fairly competent when dealing with aerial targets, so don't be shy about engaging someone trying to bully you before they get on your six (but I still advise to avoid unwanted attention).

It also helps to learn how Bot players play the game, as you can predict where they'll be and where they won't. For example, Bot Heavy Fighters will pretty much always help capture Command Centers at the start of a battle, while Bot Light and Multirole Fighters prefer to go for Airfields and Garrisons (oddly enough, they all like to pile up on Military Bases, which is odd as there's only 2 Air Defense Aircraft there, and Bot fighters of any type never shoot ground targets on purpose, not even AA emplacements). Bot GAAs never shoot at aircraft, not even in self-defense, and they tend to waste most of their ordnance on the first ground target they see, which is usually AA emplacements (watch out for their rocket volleys!). Bot Bombers almost always miss their mark, so don't rely on them to do much of anything aside of getting lucky kills on stalling fighters and dying a whole lot. Do watch out for their bombs though, don't fly too low if there's hostile Bombers above.

As a side note, if you spawn on a map with two Mining Facilities (one on each half of the map), you should help capture the one closest to you as soon as possible. Bots are horrible at capturing Mining Facilities, and Bot GAAs in particular have a habit of crashing into the chimneys of the central ground target. However, if there's only one Mining Facility in the center of the map, what I said at the start still applies

Edited by LMG, 04 January 2018 - 07:12 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

vcharng #3 Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1681 battles

I can't really understand your description as I'm not a native speaker of English.

But here's what I know from what you say.

1. you are playing Soviet GAA<<not so sure about this one, though if you can kill anything with one bomb than you're probably not flying the Fw189.

2. You are currently Tier 4.

And I would say that Cap point "sniping" simply won't happen here.

At tier 4 GAAs don't have the firepower to cap fast enough, Soviets have better firepower, but it is still pretty difficult.

Also you need to be fast enough (Check the speed of a Me 265) to actually be able to maneuver between cap points in a way that actually has any kind of strategic influence, which is next to impossible for almost all Soviet GAAs (perhaps possible for IL-40 and above,but not very effective), and only possible for T7+ German GAAs.

If you are flying Soviet T4 GAA I can't give you much advice as I don't have one, but if you are flying German, my best advice would be to get to T5 ASAP. and don't forget that Fw 189 can make a living by killing other GAAs as well.

wylleEcoyote #4 Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:05 AM

Airman Basic

• 286 battles
  • [ARMED] ARMED
I see your point. I did write a horrible ranting ramble. Lets fix that.

Im flying around in a Eule (Fw 189) 
Spoiler

But the plane isnt really important to my question. 

My question is what changes the Cap meter?
I understand that every building i shoot/blow up is worth points (some more than others) and  shooting air defense planes does this too.
If i try a solo cap  it will take me a few minutes by myself (with or without a fighter or 2 to occupy the defense aircraft) 
But it is a thing i can do.  And have done.

Every so often however ... ill be doing my job and wrecking ground targets and just about ready to lock it down for Blue. Cap meter is almost full and i am already thinking about where im going to go next ...

Then an enemy (usually ground attack) comes in and makes one pass and literally within seconds the cap meter is counting down a lock for red.
And I dont understand how they do it.

What fundamental thing am i missing?

LMG #5 Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:15 AM

• 793 battles

The cap meter changes when someone gets Capture Points (not to be confused with Combat Points, which are a different thing). Players earn capture points by destroying aircraft or ground targets within the limits of a sector (aka, the circle). This includes:

• Destroying Air Defense Aircraft
  • Destroying enemy aircraft
  • Destroying every building of a Ground Target (yes, you have to destroy every little piece of it for it to count. You can also "steal" ground target kills by scoring the last hit on it)
  • Aircraft crashing into something (including the ground and even other aircraft).

I'm unsure if Bombing Run aircraft also give Capture Points. I think they don't, but I need some confirmation on this :unsure:

When a player gets Capture Points through any of those means, the cap meter moves for that team (if I'm attacking the sector, it reduces the meter. If I'm defending, it starts filling back up). This is one of the reasons why I tend to avoid going towards heavilly contested sectors. If I'm destroying ground targets, allies getting killed by the enemy moves back my capture progress. However, it can also occur the opposite, where I move in, take down a couple of ground targets while my allies shoot down some aircraft, and we get the sector in less than 15 seconds. On top of that, the worst that can happen is having two aircraft of the same team collide into each other, as that can push the cap meter very far towards the opposite direction, and is imo one of the reasons behind the "insta cap bug" myth.

In the case of Military Bases (the ones that shoot missiles) and Command Centers, they get Capture Points by destroying ground targets on their targeted sector. However, they can also destroy aircraft unintentionally, which also moves the cap meter respectively if they get the kill over a sector. So if you're low on health as a fighter, I suggest not chasing after that Bombing Run, and watch out for the explosion of the missiles from the Military Base too :amazed:

Also worth noting is that, from my experience, the cap meter never moves on its own. Ground targets and air defense aircraft respawn, but the cap meter is unaffected by it. So if an area is nearly capped but too dangerous to move into, you can wait for the enemies to leave and then head in for the kill. That said, I have seen a few Air Defense Aircraft make a wrong turn while patrolling and crash, which does count towards the cap meter :sceptic:. It's a very, very rare occurrence though, so don't worry about it

Edited by LMG, 05 January 2018 - 05:18 AM.

wylleEcoyote #6 Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:02 AM

Airman Basic

• 286 battles
  • [ARMED] ARMED
Thanks.

I think my problem is leaving behind little buildings "to finish on my next pass"
one GAA passing out Rockets like Oprah (You get arocket! And You get a rocket And You, and you ...) later 
and all of a sudden i wanna rage quit to hanger.
combined with not keeping an eye on how my fighter cap (if any) is doing.

LMG #7 Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:11 AM

• 793 battles

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 06 January 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

Thanks.

I think my problem is leaving behind little buildings "to finish on my next pass"
one GAA passing out Rockets like Oprah (You get arocket! And You get a rocket And You, and you ...) later 
and all of a sudden i wanna rage quit to hanger.
combined with not keeping an eye on how my fighter cap (if any) is doing.

If you're attacking a neutral sector, you have to keep an eye out on enemies that might steal your kill. If you're attacking an enemy sector, it's not the end of the world if you didn't finish off a ground target, as the enemy can't steal it from you anyways. That said, it is good practice to make sure you clear things up in the least amount of passes as possible; I recommend practicing capturing garrisons on training flights to get used to how ground targets work, as they have a little bit of everything. If you feel your bombs aren't good enough on something, shoot it a bit with your guns as if you're painting it first. One thing I can say though is that GAAs get better as you progress down the line. It's more noticeable on the soviet line, but on the German line it still applies once you fully upgrade them :great:

trikke #8 Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 847 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postvcharng, on 04 January 2018 - 04:06 AM, said:

I can't really understand your description as I'm not a native speaker of English.

But here's what I know from what you say.

1. you are playing Soviet GAA<<not so sure about this one, though if you can kill anything with one bomb than you're probably not flying the Fw189.

2. You are currently Tier 4.

And I would say that Cap point "sniping" simply won't happen here.

At tier 4 GAAs don't have the firepower to cap fast enough, Soviets have better firepower, but it is still pretty difficult.

Also you need to be fast enough (Check the speed of a Me 265) to actually be able to maneuver between cap points in a way that actually has any kind of strategic influence, which is next to impossible for almost all Soviet GAAs (perhaps possible for IL-40 and above,but not very effective), and only possible for T7+ German GAAs.

If you are flying Soviet T4 GAA I can't give you much advice as I don't have one, but if you are flying German, my best advice would be to get to T5 ASAP. and don't forget that Fw 189 can make a living by killing other GAAs as well.

your english is excellent... better than mine, brother!

because i'm from Texas

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users