Jump to content


Matchmaking balance


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

yangmang617 #1 Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1182 battles
  • 37
  • [-ES-] -ES-
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

They already do it with the AI bots, bit how about mirror the matchmaking with the players?  Not exact mirrors, but similar tier and class, and flights with flights.

 

There is a distinct advantage for a player that is tier 7 matched with a player that is tier 6, likewise, with the meta the way it currently is, there is a distinct advantage when one team is full of player fighters and attackers, versus heavy fighters and light bombers.  Its just easy to match fighters with fighters, bombers with bombers etc... doesn't fully balance between planes but at least it's an attempt.

 

This goes both ways, I hate being in games that ROFL stomp the opposition because there isn't an opportunity to make much of an impact since points tick too fast, and likewise we all know its just frustrating to be on the other end of that.



MARS_REVENANT #2 Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

    Colonel

  • Community Ace
  • 2985 battles
  • 9,064
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Ideally, yes.  But we don't have the population to support it.  Implementing something like that now would cause huge wait times in the queue as MM would have to wait for the live players to fit the specific slots.

 

Right now I think it is pretty balanced, although there are some outlier borked battles, they are the minority, and don't have very much affect on overall w/r.


1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER


pyantoryng #3 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

    Colonel

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 1296 battles
  • 7,826
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 03 January 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Ideally, yes.  But we don't have the population to support it.  Implementing something like that now would cause huge wait times in the queue as MM would have to wait for the live players to fit the specific slots.

 

Right now I think it is pretty balanced, although there are some outlier borked battles, they are the minority, and don't have very much affect on overall w/r.

 

What he said. What you suggest (namely, mirroring plane class) was exactly what 1.6 (or around that point) wrought upon WoWP, and it killed the population even further after the fabled 1.5 debacle which left WoWP in tatters already.

 

The wait time was beyond tolerable in anything outside of high tier GAA...and it was not until like 1.8 for an MM change that went ham with 3v3, but better than having to wait for tens of minutes for a measly "balanced" match.

 

Be careful what you ask for. You might end up regretting it.


Edited by pyantoryng, 03 January 2018 - 05:01 PM.


WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Wombatmetal #4 Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 750 battles
  • 698
  • Member since:
    06-02-2013

All of the problems with MM would be solved by adding more players

 

 



Noreaga #5 Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • 2,913
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    03-05-2012

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 03 January 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

All of the problems with MM would be solved by adding more players

 

 

MM is an easy target, and i think we can say that playing with it has not once yielded positive results until months afterward.

 

all of the problems stem from MM tweaking.

which in turn leads to annoyed players that play less.

which in turn leads to more MM tweaking

 

the search for fair always seems to lead to more inequality.

 

 

 


Nimis obnoxii curare


MARS_REVENANT #6 Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

    Colonel

  • Community Ace
  • 2985 battles
  • 9,064
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostNoreaga, on 03 January 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

MM is an easy target, and i think we can say that playing with it has not once yielded positive results until months afterward.

 

all of the problems stem from MM tweaking.

which in turn leads to annoyed players that play less.

which in turn leads to more MM tweaking

 

the search for fair always seems to lead to more inequality.

 

 

 

 

only allow 1 plane.


1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER


Noreaga #7 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • 2,913
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    03-05-2012

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 03 January 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

 

only allow 1 plane.

 

so like the PVE mode we had before?


Nimis obnoxii curare


MARS_REVENANT #8 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

    Colonel

  • Community Ace
  • 2985 battles
  • 9,064
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostNoreaga, on 03 January 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

 

so like the PVE mode we had before?

 

No, I mean, only allow people to play 1 plane.  It can change every day.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER


LMG #9 Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1402 battles
  • 1,057
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 03 January 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

No, I mean, only allow people to play 1 plane.  It can change every day.

 

12v12 IL-20 matches. I think that would make a NASCAR racer blush from so much turning left :trollface:


This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

yangmang617 #10 Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1182 battles
  • 37
  • [-ES-] -ES-
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

I hope I didn't misrepresent what I mean.  I don't mean for 100% mirror matching, I'm just talking about plane types.  We all know there is a clear meta in this game.  Often times, a good balance of matchmaking could be a change in the match already made.  Why place a fighter with two bombers, against three fighters?  Just have two teams of two fighters and one bomber.

 

On a side note, I'm okay with longer queue times if the matchmaking isn't frustrating.  Unlike WOT or WOWS, where you can die in the first minute of the match and spend the next twenty waiting for the battle to end.  In this game, no matter what, you are in the fight and an active member of the team, until you die at the squall line.



Noreaga #11 Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • 2,913
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    03-05-2012

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 03 January 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

 

No, I mean, only allow people to play 1 plane.  It can change every day.

 

LOL was not expecting that one. 

Nimis obnoxii curare


mnbv_fockewulfe #12 Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 231 battles
  • 2,289
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013

View PostLMG, on 03 January 2018 - 09:44 PM, said:

 

12v12 IL-20 matches. I think that would make a NASCAR racer blush from so much turning left :trollface:

 

Basically 1.7 before German GA but only 3v3.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

 

mnbv_fockewulfe.png


 


pyantoryng #13 Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

    Colonel

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 1296 battles
  • 7,826
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 04 January 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

 

Basically 1.7 before German GA but only 3v3.

 

Farm all day long...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

nwlxn12 #14 Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1408 battles
  • 126
  • Member since:
    01-01-2012

View Postyangmang617, on 04 January 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

I hope I didn't misrepresent what I mean.  I don't mean for 100% mirror matching, I'm just talking about plane types.  We all know there is a clear meta in this game.  Often times, a good balance of matchmaking could be a change in the match already made.  Why place a fighter with two bombers, against three fighters?  Just have two teams of two fighters and one bomber.

 

On a side note, I'm okay with longer queue times if the matchmaking isn't frustrating.  Unlike WOT or WOWS, where you can die in the first minute of the match and spend the next twenty waiting for the battle to end.  In this game, no matter what, you are in the fight and an active member of the team, until you die at the squall line.

 

Controlling the airfield that allows players to change planes can also allow the imbalance you are referring to.

yangmang617 #15 Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:50 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1182 battles
  • 37
  • [-ES-] -ES-
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

My issue with the airfield mechanic, which I never use, is that it doesn't belong in this game the way it is.  If a respawn allows for a change of plane, then fine, many games have this feature which itself creates a proper balance to the overall game.  But that is not so, it involves control of an airfield, and you have to die to take advantage of it.  So I agree with you, at its current implementation, it is an unbalancing feature. On the off chance that an air field is part of that.

 

However, many maps do not have this feature, the plane that is chosen before the game starts is the same plane that the player must stick with the entire game.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users