The one thing i miss

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #1 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

Master Sergeant

• 93 battles

the one thing I miss the most, since this new update is a damn good old dog fight! Not had one since playing this new 2.0 update.

Zapperguy #2 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:22 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

You can still have them. The difference is that now after a long arduous dogfight, the guy you just killed can respawn, race back to your battle-worn craft, and shoot you down in a brand new plane.

It kinda takes away the satisfaction of winning the encounter, don't you think?

:sceptic:

Founder of the original CLOWN clan. Haven't lost a single member in over 3 years of existence.

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #3 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

Master Sergeant

• 93 battles
yes I suppose you are right,ive now flown some 50 games ,and I can honestly say I haven't had a single dog fight,maybe its because there are so many distractions in the game

Mercsn #4 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 969 battles

View PostZapperguy, on 02 January 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

You can still have them. The difference is that now after a long arduous dogfight, the guy you just killed can respawn, race back to your battle-worn craft, and shoot you down in a brand new plane.

...unless you're on a map with repairs and smart enough to do so.

The game meta is MOSTLY dogfights, not sure what the OP's missing.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

CamoCladWarrior #5 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 61 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostZapperguy, on 02 January 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

^^^This^^^  They sucked the life out of this game with stupid Call of Duty crap like respawns...

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #6 Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

Master Sergeant

• 93 battles

View PostMercsn, on 02 January 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

...unless you're on a map with repairs and smart enough to do so.

The game meta is MOSTLY dogfights, not sure what the OP's missing.

my definition of a dogfight is engaging with another plane for at least 30 seconds,yours must be different.

just because I have only flown 50 games,does that mean I shouldn't have an opion?

bradk62 #7 Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Airman Basic

• 682 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH

I see what the OP is saying.  Gone are the one-on-one cat and mouse games of figuring out the best attack angle and when to engage, to wait for backup or go it alone against two or more opponents.  In 1.9, my favorite battles were come-from-behind wins when it was down to me and a couple opponents and I would have to lure them apart using distance and/or altitude separation and then attack in that small window of time.  Really had know the advantages/limits of the aircraft and fly them well.  I saw one very good pilot take on 7 aircraft by himself on Tier 8 (I was the seventh he got).

In 2.0 it is much faster paced and there are too many objectives that take priority to the cat and mouse game.  The game often devolves into "shoot the first thing that moves" and hope you can gain the control of enough facilities to win.

That said, I have had some 30 second or longer dogfights but they are few and far between.  These long dogfights only occur after the squal comes in (no more respawn) and when most of the bots are gone.  If it's an even match, this can go on for quite a while.

On a positive note, I will say that the more I play, the more I like 2.0.  Maybe someday more than 1.9 but not yet.  

vcharng #8 Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1673 battles

Well think about the non-dogfighters, namely bombers (who got introduced after 2.0) and attackers, they can only lose in dogfights, and respawns are their only way to allow them to be effective at all.

Also HPs are currently not really important for actual dogfighters like light and multirole fighters, it only matters for boom-and-zoomers like heavies and non-aerial combatants like attackers and bombers. It's more of "who can shoot at the enemy" i.e. maneuverbility, speed and range. You can kill a Hurricane with full HP in your Spit with 30HP left, as long as that Hurricane never gets a chance of actually opening fire at you. And in WOWP this is far more possible than in WOWS or WOT.

SpiritFoxMY #9 Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

I... once got into a dogfight that lasted half the battle. I didn't really enjoy it because while I was tied up with one guy, the bots promptly lost the game.

Overall, my experience with intense one on one duels is rather meh as it often feels that the guy with the better turning plane will just auto-win. When the fights are more even (performance within decimals of each other), then it's fun.

I still prefer boomers though. No wild swirling at the edge of your pants, just one pass then haul [edited].

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

americankraut #10 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 277 battles
  • [_EFF_] _EFF_
was thinking about coming back since I heard about bombers not so sure I like this respawn...

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

View Postamericankraut, on 03 January 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

was thinking about coming back since I heard about bombers not so sure I like this respawn...

If you're flying bombers, it'll probably be your friend - you either get to come back and try again after getting blatted down by a heavy or you get to feast on the incoherent rage of a heavy seeking revenge after he messed up an approach on you 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

trikke #12 Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 847 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostZapperguy, on 02 January 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

i headhunt the guy who just killed me all the time

i usually get killed again, so...    i don't recommend it

getting revenge just wastes everyone's time, and distracts you from your actual objective... which is to win the battle

but i just can't help it, sadly

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CamuMahubah #13 Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1102 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS

View Posttrikke, on 03 January 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

i headhunt the guy who just killed me all the time

i usually get killed again, so...    i don't recommend it

getting revenge just wastes everyone's time, and distracts you from your actual objective... which is to win the battle

but i just can't help it, sadly

Bruh that's really hilarious AF!

"I headhunt the guy who just killed me all the time"-Trikke 2018

MelBrooks #14 Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostZapperguy, on 02 January 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

A lot things have frustrated me in this game, but the removal of finality is the most disappointing. Granted, I’m older and not part of the first person shooter respawn constantly gaming crowd. Nevertheless, the situational awareness and team play has taken a step backwards with respawn in IMHO.

Edited by MelBrooks, 03 January 2018 - 01:18 PM.

LMG #15 Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 793 battles

View PostMelBrooks, on 03 January 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

A lot things have frustrated me in this game, but the removal of finality is the most disappointing. Granted, I’m older and not part of the first person shooter respawn constantly gaming crowd. Nevertheless, the situational awareness and team play has taken a step backwards with respawn in IMHO.

Idk, as a GAA player I feel situational awareness is at an all time high because of the respawn. I have to keep in mind where the enemy can show up from if they get shot down, and where I should strike next if I get shot down as well. I have also used this to my advantage by luring enemies towards my team's spawn point just as a new batch shows up, forcing them to let me go or get a facefull of lead

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

trikke #16 Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 847 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCamuMahubah, on 03 January 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

Bruh that's really hilarious AF!

"I headhunt the guy who just killed me all the time"-Trikke 2018

just make sure that you emphasize the "all the time!" part...  when you tell your friends about me, sitting around the campfire 

do it like this:  "he rushes right back into battle, flies past the caps ignoring all the game objectives, so he can get killed by the same guy... all the time!

practice in the mirror until you can say it with a straight face

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Zapperguy #17 Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostLMG, on 04 January 2018 - 02:33 AM, said:

Idk, as a GAA player I feel situational awareness is at an all time high because of the respawn. I have to keep in mind where the enemy can show up from if they get shot down, and where I should strike next if I get shot down as well. I have also used this to my advantage by luring enemies towards my team's spawn point just as a new batch shows up, forcing them to let me go or get a facefull of lead

I agree that with the new game mode, situational awareness should be very important. Unfortunately, WG did everything they could to keep a player's SA at a minimum by removing several key elements of the HUD, taking away the locked target window, and badly combining what was a perfectly good mini-map & radar setup. Minimal info about your own plane, virtually no info about enemy planes, and decreased ability to "see" your surroundings do not lend to one having much SA at all at this point.

:facepalm:

Founder of the original CLOWN clan. Haven't lost a single member in over 3 years of existence.

LMG #18 Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 793 battles

View PostZapperguy, on 04 January 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

I agree that with the new game mode, situational awareness should be very important. Unfortunately, WG did everything they could to keep a player's SA at a minimum by removing several key elements of the HUD, taking away the locked target window, and badly combining what was a perfectly good mini-map & radar setup. Minimal info about your own plane, virtually no info about enemy planes, and decreased ability to "see" your surroundings do not lend to one having much SA at all at this point.

:facepalm:

Now the target camera is the one thing I truly miss from 1.x :(

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users