"Meta" Aircraft

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

vcharng #41 Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1673 battles

View PostZergling, on 08 January 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

I'm flying my 265 right now, and it requires both bombs to kill the hard tent targets in garrisons. Combined with the anemic guns, the plane takes way too long to cap a garrison, nevermind something like a plant or mil base.

Unless in T8 games (require both bombs and no shooting) or you don't have the bomb skills or not having the top gun, this is simply not going to happen.

There is no update between my last 265 flight and now, there's nothing to be changed or nerfed.

Zergling #42 Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 702 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postvcharng, on 08 January 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

Unless in T8 games (require both bombs and no shooting) or you don't have the bomb skills or not having the top gun, this is simply not going to happen.

There is no update between my last 265 flight and now, there's nothing to be changed or nerfed.

Yeah, I think it was a T8 game. Still, having the 265's effectiveness reduced so much when it is tiered up is not good.

vcharng #43 Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1673 battles

View PostZergling, on 08 January 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yeah, I think it was a T8 game. Still, having the 265's effectiveness reduced so much when it is tiered up is not good.

If you have the 265 I'm sure you experienced the same sense of uselessness when your Ju 88P got into a T7 game. I would personally take a 265 in T8 over a Ju 88P in T7 game any day. At least you have something to shoot at.and are still faster than a T8 Soviet GAA. Try to make good use of your mobility.

LMG #44 Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 792 battles

View PostZergling, on 08 January 2018 - 04:50 AM, said:

I'm flying my 265 right now, and it requires both bombs to kill the hard tent targets in garrisons. Combined with the anemic guns, the plane takes way too long to cap a garrison, nevermind something like a plant or mil base.

You can get it in one bomb with the pilot skill or by spraying it a bit with gunfire. The Me 265's bombs are basically a German FAB-250, which is the strongest bomb the soviet GAAs have at that tier. They deal a lot of damage, but both the german and soviet bombs need to get direct hits. The only real difference is that the soviets get rockets in case they miss and germans get lower recharge time instead

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #45 Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

View PostLMG, on 08 January 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

You can get it in one bomb with the pilot skill or by spraying it a bit with gunfire. 

You need to land it accurately though, even so. Otherwise you have to turn back for cleanup

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #46 Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

• 792 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 08 January 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

You need to land it accurately though, even so. Otherwise you have to turn back for cleanup

Yup, it's the same deal with the soviet FAB-250s at tier VII and above. That's kind of why I prefer the IL-8 and it's 6 FAB-100s; if I don't feel comfortable with my angle I just drop more bombs :bajan:

SpiritFoxMY #47 Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:35 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

View PostLMG, on 08 January 2018 - 11:32 PM, said:

Yup, it's the same deal with the soviet FAB-250s at tier VII and above. That's kind of why I prefer the IL-8 and it's 6 FAB-100s; if I don't feel comfortable with my angle I just drop more bombs :bajan:

Haven't gotten past the tier 5 Sturmovik yet. Just had my best ever GAA game last night in the 265 carrying a bot team (did my bots all suddenly get a lobotomy?). The speed was invaluable.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #48 Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:43 PM

• 792 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 08 January 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

Haven't gotten past the tier 5 Sturmovik yet. Just had my best ever GAA game last night in the 265 carrying a bot team (did my bots all suddenly get a lobotomy?). The speed was invaluable.

Nothing feels as great as getting something out of your aircraft's advantages :medal:. That's how I decide just how capable something is: if I get to exploit the advantages regularly or they're not as helpful more often than not. The german GAA's speed can be a life saver in specific dire situations, but it always helps traveling around sectors. What remains is being able to do something once you get there, and with their cannons and bombs they can certainly deal damage :playing:

Onyx #49 Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 696 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostLMG, on 08 January 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

Nothing feels as great as getting something out of your aircraft's advantages :medal:. That's how I decide just how capable something is: if I get to exploit the advantages regularly or they're not as helpful more often than not. The german GAA's speed can be a life saver in specific dire situations, but it always helps traveling around sectors. What remains is being able to do something once you get there, and with their cannons and bombs they can certainly deal damage :playing:

The speed feels so good on it, it just feels like a hand is tied behind its back on actually taking objectives because it has such a minimal payload.  The Soviets get to just drop bombs for days whereas the Germans have to drop them with absolute precision and then use their 30s to attempt to kill what's left over while waiting for the bombs.  Unless they're going after trivial targets.  But that speed.  THAT SPEED!  The turret arcs are also insane and getting them to fly in formation is a serious deterrent to attacking them in a light fighter.

vcharng #50 Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1673 battles

View PostOnyx, on 09 January 2018 - 12:38 AM, said:

The speed feels so good on it, it just feels like a hand is tied behind its back on actually taking objectives because it has such a minimal payload.  The Soviets get to just drop bombs for days whereas the Germans have to drop them with absolute precision and then use their 30s to attempt to kill what's left over while waiting for the bombs.  Unless they're going after trivial targets.  But that speed.  THAT SPEED!  The turret arcs are also insane and getting them to fly in formation is a serious deterrent to attacking them in a light fighter.

Yup, you are starting to feel the fun of German GAAs, there's no going back, my friend.

Nothing feels more joyful than leaving your Soviet GAA teammate behind and then leave them with an empty or captured position by the time they get there.

Onyx #51 Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:07 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 696 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postvcharng, on 08 January 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Yup, you are starting to feel the fun of German GAAs, there's no going back, my friend.

Nothing feels more joyful than leaving your Soviet GAA teammate behind and then leave them with an empty or captured position by the time they get there.

I was feeling the fun on the Ju 88 with ol' thumper.  The problem is mostly that my win rate plummets when running specific planes.  The Ju 88 is one of them, the P-51 is edging towards that (currently on H), the 265 "works" but it's definitely lacking, just not as lacking as the Ju 88 Ju 87 especially.  Plus, when you want to go battlewagon on enemies, it destroys other GAs.

But what can I say? 

LMG #52 Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:30 AM

• 792 battles

View PostOnyx, on 08 January 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

I mean, I wouldn't mind to get a version of the FAB-500 that the IL-20 gets on my Me 329, that's for sure. However, I can still make the ones I have work on anything I'm put up against. And fun fact, its 30s actually outdamage the IL-20's 23s. I was kinda surprised at first, but after running them for a while it shows, even vs armored targets :playing:

Onyx #53 Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:53 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 696 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
The bigger problem about that is the damage penalty (I assume it's a penalty) for attacking armored targets.  Even some premium ammo specifically says that it makes it more effective against armored targets (Seriously devs, get rid of premium ammo!)

LMG #54 Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

• 792 battles

View PostOnyx, on 08 January 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

The bigger problem about that is the damage penalty (I assume it's a penalty) for attacking armored targets.  Even some premium ammo specifically says that it makes it more effective against armored targets (Seriously devs, get rid of premium ammo!)

The quad 30s deal surprising damage on armored ground targets. I think I counted 20 hits to destroy an undamaged one. Aside of that, yes, the GAA premium ammo imo is the only truly pay-to-win ammo in the game, as it increases your damage vs ground targets, giving you a direct gameplay advantage you can't get otherwise (I believe someone around the forums tried it and stated that it doubles the damage, which is crazy on cannons that take 5 shots to down armored ground targets). In a competitive situation, either both GAAs don't have it or both have it. If not, the one that has it will always come up ahead over the one that does not. I'd dare say it could be balance-breaking on GAAs with 50mm/57mm cannons

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users