Jump to content


"Meta" Aircraft


  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Flankerz #1 Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 124 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    08-12-2013

What does everyone believe to be the best lines to be grinding to fit the meta? It seems the two GA lines and most of the fighters (F-86A, ME 1101 and La-15) all seem to be popular choices.



General_Lee_Miserable #2 Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 309 battles
  • 1,586
  • Member since:
    07-27-2013

View PostFlankerz, on 02 January 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

What does everyone believe to be the best lines to be grinding to fit the meta? It seems the two GA lines and most of the fighters (F-86A, ME 1101 and La-15) all seem to be popular choices.

 

Speaking about fighters only... 

 

1) Spitfire line. Tiers 4 thru 8.

 

2) Japanese Army planes

 

3) Japanese Navy Planes

 

4) Russian LA's

 

The Russian, American, and German high alt LF's are kinda out of meta right now.

 

 



DrSinister #3 Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

    High-Tech Medic

  • -Community Ace-
  • 95 battles
  • 4,095
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Spitfire definitely.

 

Japanese are great cap holders but are slow on getting to other caps.



HazeGrayUnderway #4 Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1513 battles
  • 178
  • Member since:
    03-13-2015

Look at the recommendations so far:  Low and mid altitude dogfighters.

 

The beautiful thing about bombers?  You can fly high enough and flip them all the finger and carry out your job.  Not too many play the high altitude aircraft like Mustangs, 109s, Heavy Fighters.  Even among those that do, there's a surprising amount that don't know how to properly climb altitude and do a proper intercept.

 

There's the Turn & Burn in the Cap Meta.  High altitude bombers don't play that game.  Nothing like seeing a bunch of dogfighters like Spitfires, Zeroes holding a cap, but you got A-26, RB-17, Do 217M flying high above telling them to f--k off.


Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 02 January 2018 - 08:05 PM.


ARCNA442 #5 Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 700 battles
  • 64
  • Member since:
    09-10-2016

I've only played American planes (up to tier 9) and a few low tier premiums so this is mostly based on fighting against them:

 

Spitfires reign supreme but any LF can be dangerous.

 

Multiroles are all pretty weak and while HF's are extremely difficult to fight 1 on 1, they aren't very efficient at capturing or defending objectives.

 

The 3 premium bombers are all extremely tough opponents that can change the course of a battle single handed.

 

Soviet GA's appear to be noticeably tougher and have better defensive weapons than German ones.

 

 



Mercsn #6 Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles
  • 2,966
  • Member since:
    04-17-2013

Spitfires are great.  And, regarding the "up until tier 8" comment...there's currently not any reason to go higher than that.  The bot fill-in teammates (which is usually all of the team at tier 8, minus 1 or 2 humans each team) start getting more ace level ai the higher up you go.  You get matches where if the aces are distributed on one team in better aircraft than the other, the match is decided.  I'm a 56% player and have wrecked a team with a 60% and 70% players in a flight simply because my ace bots were in better aircraft than their ace bots (bots are terrible with any of the 3 ai skill settings in GA or bombers, for example).


 

I've found the Russian La series to be very enjoyable up to tier 8 where I'm currently at with them.  They do a good job of splitting the altitude cap (how high they can go before stalling out) and maneuvering, but have good speed and very good firepower.  They won't out-turn a zero or spitfire, but you can out-play them. 


 

Zeros (Japanese A6m) are strong in the low altitude turn-fight, but the line veers drastically away from turn-fighter when you get to tier 8.   They are also soooo slow that I often feel I'm losing caps because it simply takes too long to get my guns where they are needed (and they're squishy).


 

If you want to eat things that fly in front of you, the German heavies can be very effective, but they are terrible to turn and not very fast until later in tier.


 

The game's XP economy is SUPER fast/easy right now as WG tries to channel players into tiers 4-6.  Don't feel a need to rush the tech tree.  Since matches now are mostly one tier affairs, there's not even a "I want to be top tier" reason to push your way up to tier 10.  Currently, there are several posts open from low battle count players in tiers 7+ where they're complaining of this or that.  And, it's more a matter of they don't have the experience or skill per pace of game to deal with or understand what's causing them grief.


 

Try different stuff.  See what you like.  Fly what's fun for you.  XP comes super easy.  Credits are a little bit tighter, but using a premium plane can bring in good silver credits.


 

Here's a website offering a free key to the Spitfire 1a (same plane that's for sale in the package on the main store page, free is a better deal!).


 


 


All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

 

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

LMG #7 Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1402 battles
  • 1,073
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
I'm enjoying both GAA lines, so you can't go wrong with either. That said, I was not able to get the Hs 129 B to do much, so my personal suggestion is to get the Stuka instead. On the soviet line, both the IL-10 and IL-8 can do their duties
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

StoptheViolins #8 Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1470 battles
  • 820
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Spits are a seal clubbers fav plane but get them above 1k and their handling gets really sleepy.  The turners seem to go that way - don't do well with thinner air.

I lean towards multi roles for the learning curve.  You really need to get a handle on the plane to do well.  That's the issues with metas - the pilot never really gets better as the plane compensates for so many bad habits except over confidence.

Colddawg #9 Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 1513 battles
  • 123
  • Member since:
    10-20-2011
I'm finding that although under powered (to the point of "fire the balancing guy") the US multirole fighters aren't all that bad.  They're a mix of energy and turn fighter that can help flip a heavily populated cap with a mixture of tailing targets and breaking off to new targets as long as you keep your energy.  The tier 10 multi is a bit more of a snatch and grab fighter that gets in and out before the enemy can get a good fix on you.  Go in, drop bombs, do a strafing run, and get out of there (same concept works against GAAs that are flying between CPs).

Keep your head on the swivel.


vcharng #10 Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:46 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1993 battles
  • 279
  • Member since:
    10-25-2017

View PostColddawg, on 02 January 2018 - 09:44 PM, said:

I'm finding that although under powered (to the point of "fire the balancing guy") the US multirole fighters aren't all that bad.  They're a mix of energy and turn fighter that can help flip a heavily populated cap with a mixture of tailing targets and breaking off to new targets as long as you keep your energy.  The tier 10 multi is a bit more of a snatch and grab fighter that gets in and out before the enemy can get a good fix on you.  Go in, drop bombs, do a strafing run, and get out of there (same concept works against GAAs that are flying between CPs).

I don't know which line you're talking about ,but I personally found the US Navy Multirole to be actually pretty good. I had fun at F2A and F4U-1 alike, (and the F4F in the middle was not bad as well).

View PostLMG, on 02 January 2018 - 09:25 PM, said:

I'm enjoying both GAA lines, so you can't go wrong with either. That said, I was not able to get the Hs 129 B to do much, so my personal suggestion is to get the Stuka instead. On the soviet line, both the IL-10 and IL-8 can do their duties

Judging from what the tech tree looks like, I think it will become possible to go Fw57-> Bombers-> Me265 after Albion ends. This would probably be a better choice in my opinion.

I enjoyed my days in Hs129 though, but that was only before I got my 265 and realized for the first time what a truly useful attacker should look like.



HazeGrayUnderway #11 Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1513 battles
  • 178
  • Member since:
    03-13-2015

GA's are also extremely solid choices.  Sure, they can get chewed up by fighters, etc.  But they can do a lot of damage quickly to a cap.  This is especially so with the more "hardened' caps like Mining Facilities.  I mean, what's a Zero and a Spitfire going to do over a Mining Facility?

 

Good GA players that go around where the fight isn't flipping caps is also annoying and must be dealt with by someone.  Not to mention the power of GAs go up as you get higher in the tiers.  They sport stronger, longer ranged guns, they sling some powerful ordnance.  They reload their ordnance faster than Multirole and Heacy Fighter aircraft, on top of already having nasty gun loadouts.

 

The game is dominated by cap play, so solid GAs are always useful as they can lay waste to them.

 

The German and Russian GA lines are both great in their own ways.  By association, Bombers are part of this deal also.  They target the same things as GAs, the means is just different.

 

You may have issues with finding good use out of Hvy Fighters, Multiroles, Boom & Zoom tactics in a cap oriented game.  But there is always a use for solid GA aircraft.  And they only get nastier as the tiers go up.


Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 03 January 2018 - 06:51 AM.


vonluckner #12 Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 534 battles
  • 84
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

A number of new aircraft have been added so assumptions about meta or near future meta may not be accurate.

 

I'm not sure if low-alt turnfighter LFs are still the go-to. They are definitely still strong, but bomber numbers have increased sharply and I've played multiple games now where I've found myself mostly fighting in the orange altitude range where I'd probably be better off with a higher-altitude fighter.

 

I don't think they've increased enough to make HFs a competitive pick, but I think the Mig/P-51/109 lines are closer competition with the Spitfire/Lavochkin/Yak/A6M now- barring those tiers with really trash firepower like 109F/G, Yak-1M, I-210 that don't have the punch to take a bomber down.



StoptheViolins #13 Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1470 battles
  • 820
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
The 109's definitely need their field kits back.  They are decent enough but it does take more time to kill than would optimally be desired.

HazeGrayUnderway #14 Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1513 battles
  • 178
  • Member since:
    03-13-2015

Another reason for GA's always being relevant:

 

In the air-to-air game, the competition improves with you as you go higher in the tiers.  The planes get more dangerous.  Faster, etc.  You got your next tier fighter but the targets you're after also get better planes as you go up the tiers.

 

But ground targets?  They remain the same.  And GA's get more heavily armed and pack more or bigger ordnance.  As you go higher in the tiers, the ability of a GA to lay waste to a cap gets higher.  Go ahead and let that IL-20, Me 265, etc. have free reign in a cap compared to a Tier V GA.  The devastation they can do in a short time is very high as you climb the tiers.  If there's nobody to drive them off or kill the GA, that cap is as good as flipped very soon.



LMG #15 Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:05 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1402 battles
  • 1,073
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 04 January 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

Another reason for GA's always being relevant:

 

In the air-to-air game, the competition improves with you as you go higher in the tiers.  The planes get more dangerous.  Faster, etc.  You got your next tier fighter but the targets you're after also get better planes as you go up the tiers.

 

But ground targets?  They remain the same.  And GA's get more heavily armed and pack more or bigger ordnance.  As you go higher in the tiers, the ability of a GA to lay waste to a cap gets higher.  Go ahead and let that IL-20, Me 265, etc. have free reign in a cap compared to a Tier V GA.  The devastation they can do in a short time is very high as you climb the tiers.  If there's nobody to drive them off or kill the GA, that cap is as good as flipped very soon.

 

Actually, ground targets do get stronger as tiers go by (especially AA). However, GAAs get even stronger by then. The IL-20 is basically a mix of the best parts of the IL-8 and IL-10 taken to a whole new level, where the ground targets become marginally stronger than before. And to be honest, they do need that extra-heavy firepower so they can do their job while flying the tier where prop planes start vanishing an jets with cannons become the norm :ohmy:


This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #16 Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 1361 battles
  • 1,089
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    12-31-2012

GAA hunting vexes me to no end tbh. But someone has to do it - I personally prefer Focke Wulfs and othet multiroles to do the GAA cleaning. Heavy Fighters are best left on high and light fighters risk getting chewed to shreds by the awesome defensive fire from most GAAs at high tiers


***

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end


Moggytwo #17 Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 931 battles
  • 27
  • Member since:
    08-15-2017

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 05 January 2018 - 08:09 AM, said:

GAA hunting vexes me to no end tbh. But someone has to do it - I personally prefer Focke Wulfs and othet multiroles to do the GAA cleaning. Heavy Fighters are best left on high and light fighters risk getting chewed to shreds by the awesome defensive fire from most GAAs at high tiers

 

I find it's all about how you do it, you really want to keep yourself out of the GA's rear turret arcs, especially if you are in a fighter or multi-role.  I like to dive down on a greater than 60° angle with throttle back and flaps out, then boost back up and slightly ahead of the GA, loop over when you get to about 500m from the GA and back down.  Rinse and repeat till he's dead.  You shouldn't get touched by the defensive guns at all.

 

Definitely multi-roles are by far the best choice for this work.



trikke #18 Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1523 battles
  • 965
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostStoptheViolins, on 02 January 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

that's the issues with metas - the pilot never really gets better as the plane compensates for so many bad habits except over confidence.

 

oh crap, that's exactly me...    except for the overconfidence part


Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

HazeGrayUnderway #19 Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1513 battles
  • 178
  • Member since:
    03-13-2015

View PostLMG, on 05 January 2018 - 06:05 AM, said:

 

Actually, ground targets do get stronger as tiers go by (especially AA). However, GAAs get even stronger by then. The IL-20 is basically a mix of the best parts of the IL-8 and IL-10 taken to a whole new level, where the ground targets become marginally stronger than before. And to be honest, they do need that extra-heavy firepower so they can do their job while flying the tier where prop planes start vanishing an jets with cannons become the norm :ohmy:

 

Oh yes, that's exactly the point.  Blow up and flip the cap ASAP before those high powered jets come looking.  The RU ones are nasty and pack tons of ordnance, great in walloping the big, hardened targets very easily.  The German ones are cannon oriented but with some good bombs.  However, they're fast and can get around quickly.

 

It's a game of Cops & Robbers :trollface:

View PostMoggytwo, on 05 January 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

 

I find it's all about how you do it, you really want to keep yourself out of the GA's rear turret arcs, especially if you are in a fighter or multi-role.  I like to dive down on a greater than 60° angle with throttle back and flaps out, then boost back up and slightly ahead of the GA, loop over when you get to about 500m from the GA and back down.  Rinse and repeat till he's dead.  You shouldn't get touched by the defensive guns at all.

 

Definitely multi-roles are by far the best choice for this work.

 

​You have to be careful with some of them.  Some of those GAs can get pretty fast at those low altitudes and can maintain separation, then do a vertical and go 180 degrees and next thing you know, you got all those GA guns pointed at you.  Who's going to flinch in that head on fight?  A flimsy multirole or the tank GA?

 

I've even seen RU IL-series do this.  The German ones are even faster and tend to be cannons focused on the fuselage eventually, so their cannon fire is actually accurate.


Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 05 January 2018 - 10:30 PM.


LMG #20 Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1402 battles
  • 1,073
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 05 January 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

​You have to be careful with some of them.  Some of those GAs can get pretty fast at those low altitudes and can maintain separation, then do a vertical and go 180 degrees and next thing you know, you got all those GA guns pointed at you.  Who's going to flinch in that head on fight?  A flimsy multirole or the tank GA?

 

I've even seen RU IL-series do this.  The German ones are even faster and tend to be cannons focused on the fuselage eventually, so their cannon fire is actually accurate.

 

Huh, I haven't actually thought about that. However, I'm yet to find a GAA that can properly do an immelmann turn and engage an enemy that's within 600m range :sceptic:. Maybe the IL-10 or the 265


Edited by LMG, 06 January 2018 - 12:29 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users