ME 262 failed expectations

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

SpiritFoxMY #61 Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

So I got my 262 yesterday and I've flown... oh, five six games in it (I free XP'd out of stock - not quite fully upgraded but with all four 30mms and the R4Ms and Jumo004 unlocked from the Batplane).

My first game in it was middling. My second was awesome (mostly because the enemy team had two RB-17s, a Westland P who kept trying to dogfight me and a very, very, very lost F2G who kept insisting on fighting at 2500+m), third game was a disaster (I slammed into the ground twice trying to take out an Me 329), fourth was great and fifth was terrible. Scores around 4k, 8k, 1k, 8k, 1k Combat Points. 

What I'm learning is that the plane can turn surprisingly well at altitude and if you keep the speed up. It beats the Westland in the vertical and it can outrun almost anything else. My nemesis so far has been the Ta 152 which can out-turn you, maintain altitude, beat you in a climb and have the massive long range firepower to drop you running away.

The Boost recharges at a fair clip although that might have more to do with me just not using it as much. Its speed is crazy and I have trouble with bots doing their "death roll" because I'm going so goddamn fast I just blaze past them yet I dare not slow down - this plane doesn't like going low and slow. It has some of the Focke-Wulf feel to it; prey on the weak and the stupid, but while the 190 is close to the ground where the action is, the 262 struggles to survive at altitudes sub-2000m. At that altitude, too many planes have too much performance in reserve for you to take them on. This is a problem when flying solo: it means taking out GAAs is close to suicidal: if there's a pair of bombers, you can have a good game because your enemy is forced to come up to your altitude to play, but if there's only one or no bombers then the 262 really feels superfluous. 

First impressions and all that. I'll be playing this some more - it has the glimmerings of a great airplane, but its also probably one of the hardest I've ever flown.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #62 Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

• 926 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 January 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

The Boost recharges at a fair clip although that might have more to do with me just not using it as much. Its speed is crazy and I have trouble with bots doing their "death roll" because I'm going so goddamn fast I just blaze past them yet I dare not slow down - this plane doesn't like going low and slow. It has some of the Focke-Wulf feel to it; prey on the weak and the stupid, but while the 190 is close to the ground where the action is, the 262 struggles to survive at altitudes sub-2000m. At that altitude, too many planes have too much performance in reserve for you to take them on. This is a problem when flying solo: it means taking out GAAs is close to suicidal: if there's a pair of bombers, you can have a good game because your enemy is forced to come up to your altitude to play, but if there's only one or no bombers then the 262 really feels superfluous. 

I think the first jet I've ever bombkilled on a GAA was a 262. He tried to pull away at the last second, which left him low enough to get caught in the blast :great:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Zergling #63 Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 702 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 16 January 2018 - 02:50 AM, said:

So I got my 262 yesterday and I've flown... oh, five six games in it (I free XP'd out of stock - not quite fully upgraded but with all four 30mms and the R4Ms and Jumo004 unlocked from the Batplane).

My first game in it was middling. My second was awesome (mostly because the enemy team had two RB-17s, a Westland P who kept trying to dogfight me and a very, very, very lost F2G who kept insisting on fighting at 2500+m), third game was a disaster (I slammed into the ground twice trying to take out an Me 329), fourth was great and fifth was terrible. Scores around 4k, 8k, 1k, 8k, 1k Combat Points. 

First impressions and all that. I'll be playing this some more - it has the glimmerings of a great airplane, but its also probably one of the hardest I've ever flown.

As with my own Me 262, you are scoring less damage and kills per battle than in the Bf 109 Z.

Eg, my stats in Me 262 = 5,419 damage to air targets and 6.0 air kills per battle

Versus my stats in the Bf 109 Z = 6425 damage to air targets and 10.62 air kills per battle

Your stats in Me 262 = 2,858 damage to air targets and 4.83 air kills per battle

Versus your stats in Bf 109 Z = 5,074 damage to air targets and 8.94 air kills per battle

Damage should be going up with tier, not down. Combined with less air kills too, it indicates the Me 262 is struggling.

SpiritFoxMY #64 Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:23 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

View PostZergling, on 16 January 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

As with my own Me 262, you are scoring less damage and kills per battle than in the Bf 109 Z.

Eg, my stats in Me 262 = 5,419 damage to air targets and 6.0 air kills per battle

Versus my stats in the Bf 109 Z = 6425 damage to air targets and 10.62 air kills per battle

Your stats in Me 262 = 2,858 damage to air targets and 4.83 air kills per battle

Versus your stats in Bf 109 Z = 5,074 damage to air targets and 8.94 air kills per battle

Damage should be going up with tier, not down. Combined with less air kills too, it indicates the Me 262 is struggling.

I'm curious where you got those stats - dunno where in my profile they are. But yes, I'm struggling in the 262 right now. It isn't newbie-friendly for sure.

Neither are Ace bots but I'll learn to deal with those eventually

StoptheViolins #65 Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

• 1382 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 January 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

I'm curious where you got those stats - dunno where in my profile they are. But yes, I'm struggling in the 262 right now. It isn't newbie-friendly for sure.

Keep in mind the AI seem to all have the rocket engines and sniper like aim.   AI just holds down the trigger once it is 400m away from target.

Zergling #66 Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 702 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 16 January 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

Here. I took Total 'Damage Caused to Aerial Targets' and 'Aerial Targets Destroyed' for each plane and divided it by 'Selected at the Start of the Battle'.

Further looking at my own stats, the only other T8 fighter I have is the P-80A premium, and I'm scoring 5,702 air damage and 11.5 air kills per battle in that plane, considerably better than the 5,419 air damage and 6.0 air kills per battle in the Me 262.

Edited by Zergling, 16 January 2018 - 06:30 PM.

StoptheViolins #67 Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:02 AM

• 1382 battles
Ok, had my first battle in the mostly stock (has the jumo e) 262 and my impression is that it pretty much can camp out at 3500m and hawk prey.  It's fast enough to boost out of trouble just as quickly as it can get into it.

With 2 fast overheating guns it's not a killer.  Once it gets up to 4 it'll be a blast.  I view it as a faster 410.

legoboy0401 #68 Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View PostGavel, on 01 January 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

I heard so many 'good' reports on the ME 262. So, during the holidays, I unlocked it, and all of its parts. On paper, it looks amazing. But, when you fly it, it is terrible!

In every match I play with it, I lose 10 - 18 k so far, even on a win and premium account. I can only seem to do 7k combat damage on a good match, and she turns like a turtle! I can turn my bomber faster than this thing!

A breakdown on its flaws (they are many):

• It's guns are super inaccurate at distance, and require you to close distance, but by the time you do, you're already almost over-running the enemy, giving you very little time to shoot them down. The only way I've seen is to try to hit someone from behind, so you have 1 or 2 more seconds to fire before over-running them. FORGET DOG FIGHTING!
  • It's extremely vulnerable to all types of hits! 
  • It catches fire if you fart too hard.
  • I have to use up 2 or 3 consumables to stop the fires, or getting its wings/tail blown off in 1 or 2 shots.

The only things I like about it are the autocannons (if you have time to shoot them), and the rocket spread (really fun on bombers).

If I fly a Spitfire XIV or the Seafang, I can outgun this piece of junk any day, and make a hellova lot more coin and XP per matchup. So, this leads me to conclude:

1. Either Wargaming nerfed the tar out of this plane because it WAS a good plane
  2. Or, they need to seriously fix this plane so it has a chance to do some damage to SOMETHING before it dies. 

Suggestion: longer-range on the guns, with a little more accuracy, and a little more turn rate would be nice! The rest I can live with, if at least I get a chance to kill my enemy before they turn and shoot me down with 1 or 2 shots.

You know, you can always play the SE 100(without using the tail gunner much) to get a feel for an all cannon armament. Sure, the arcs and range are much better, but it still plays boom-and-zoom style. In fact, though it can turn pretty well for a HF, the best way to play the SE-100 is in fact boom-and-zoom. I've gotten GREAT success playing it in that manner.

Random Thoughts Of The Day:

World of Warplanes? More like World of Bots-that-are-designed-to-fail-so-you-lose-as-often-as-you-win.

Heavy Fighters? More like Obsolete Flying Bricks.

Attack Aircraft? More like Bomber-wannabes.

SpiritFoxMY #69 Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 20 January 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

You know, you can always play the SE 100(without using the tail gunner much) to get a feel for an all cannon armament. Sure, the arcs and range are much better, but it still plays boom-and-zoom style. In fact, though it can turn pretty well for a HF, the best way to play the SE-100 is in fact boom-and-zoom. I've gotten GREAT success playing it in that manner.

I'd hesitate to make that comparison because the SE 100 uses 20mms which fire faster and have longer burst times (400 rounds per minute up to 660m) than the MK108 30mms on the Me 262 (240 rounds per minute up to 616m). The SE 100 isn't that fast either, nor does it face as many opponents that can derp you in a couple of shots.

Basically, the Me 262 is in a class of its own - I've played both the German and British heavies and the 262 plays and handles way, way different. Its boom-and-zoom, yes, but that only barely describes the Schwalbe's handling characteristics.

SE 100 is closer to the Me 110 in performance. You might say the 110 has MGs to back it up but I've also played the A-5 (4x20mm, 2x13mm) and the Hurricane II (4x20mm) and their gun performance cannot compare with the 262. 

legoboy0401 #70 Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 20 January 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

I'd hesitate to make that comparison because the SE 100 uses 20mms which fire faster and have longer burst times (400 rounds per minute up to 660m) than the MK108 30mms on the Me 262 (240 rounds per minute up to 616m). The SE 100 isn't that fast either, nor does it face as many opponents that can derp you in a couple of shots.

Basically, the Me 262 is in a class of its own - I've played both the German and British heavies and the 262 plays and handles way, way different. Its boom-and-zoom, yes, but that only barely describes the Schwalbe's handling characteristics.

SE 100 is closer to the Me 110 in performance. You might say the 110 has MGs to back it up but I've also played the A-5 (4x20mm, 2x13mm) and the Hurricane II (4x20mm) and their gun performance cannot compare with the 262. 

Well, as for the derping, there's the Me-410, which can obliterate nearly anything in 3 to 4 shots when fully-upgraded. In addition, the SE-100 really doesn't have a particularly large HP pool, it's only average after all. It's not quite as poor as the P-38F's pitiful HP of 300, but it isn't anything the ME-410 fully-upgraded has to break a sweat in depleting.

Not that my comparison was a very good one, though. The Me-262 Swallow is indeed a very unique aircraft in this game. The only plane that knows a nearly similar playstyle is the J8M Shusi.

Edited by legoboy0401, 21 January 2018 - 12:55 AM.

Random Thoughts Of The Day:

World of Warplanes? More like World of Bots-that-are-designed-to-fail-so-you-lose-as-often-as-you-win.

Heavy Fighters? More like Obsolete Flying Bricks.

Attack Aircraft? More like Bomber-wannabes.

Hiro_Yoshi #71 Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:08 AM

Senior Airman

• 943 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 01 January 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

At least the ADEN is better than MG 213...or is it the better handling of UK heavies...

​30mm ADEN and DEFA are derived in real life from the late war German 30mm autocannons. That's why their ratings appear to be so similar in game.

Zergling #72 Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 702 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostHiro_Yoshi, on 21 January 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

30mm ADEN and DEFA are derived in real life from the late war German 30mm autocannons. That's why their ratings appear to be so similar in game.

The American 20mm M39 is derived from the German MG213 too.

SpiritFoxMY #73 Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:35 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

Imma gonna rant a little...

*#!!@! trying to shoot people with a bolt-action on top of a runaway train. I don't know why I bother trying. Eight games, eight losses. I can't solo cap, I have trouble contesting, only good for killing bombers, too reliant on the rest of my team and the rest of my team was all potatoes! Jeebus, why is the Me262 the highest CP player on your team by a long shot? On a non bomber map? And that's a 5k CP game! Which is a terrible game! Piece of crap can't even try to carry a sack of potatoes. Not even a contest. *incoherent screaming*

Rant over. Just needed it out of my system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users