Finding Premium Shop Value in 2.0

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Catch21 #1 Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

One WoP item I struggle with (among many) is what represents value in the Premium Shop? I think I finally have a handle on it in WoT, but could use some advice from the WoP folks, particularly the veterans.

From WoT, it used to be stock up on Gold at heavy discounts and then buy in-game when the discounts were on. But over time, WG made it more and more difficult to buy anything in-game, so it became less and less useful to hold gold other than for buying premium time, slots or (re)training crews to 100%- all WG really wanted was your $s and not your discounted ones either.

That seems to be the trend in WoP too. I don't buy gold ammo, I have enough premium time from WoT (not to mention more than I wanted as it gets bundled in to many WoP deals whether you want/need it or not). I've seen little need to buy premium planes in-game for Gold simply because there were enough freebie premium planes floating around to get you to (re)look at 2.0.

I did buy the 'Early Access: Three in One' bomber deal and the Me 109 TL from the December Deals since the discounts seemed steep and I needed entry to Level 8 for the missions and tokens (which I use to buy hangar slots at 18/slot). A couple of other deals, like a Chinese Mosquito/P-51K and 10 Hangar Slots for $7.99. These seemed good deals from what folks were saying, plus leveraging my WG via WoT experience.

But something like today's Boxing Day deal has me baffled. Is it worth it? I often compare a 'deal' versus EU and RU servers for relative value. You can get the Seafang with slot for $36 (€31) at RU. 3 days premium is c$2, 1000 Gold is c$4, The M.20 used to sell for 1400 Gold and at Level 5 would sometimes have been on sale @ 50% off = 700 = c$3, the Mustang I used to sell for 3400 Gold and at Level 6 would sometimes have been on sale @ 30% off = 2380 = c$9.

So the value of goods discounted less the Seafang is 2+4+3+9=$18. If you picked up the Seafang at RU price the total package would be 18+36=$54 and WG wants $60. 

The Miles M.20 seems universally disliked- fans start your own thread please- and you're getting a Mustang 1 (liked) plus premium/gold nobody wants but WG is anxious for some reason to sell you. There's also now a Level 6 Mustang 1a in the tech tree for 3500 Gold which @ 30% off would be 2450 or c$9. 

So Qs on this package for vets are:

1) Is the Mustang 1 in the package so different from the 1a now in the Tech Tree at the same Level (6)?

2) Is it just a bad deal and wait? Either for:

• better total deal?
  • parts of this deal to come on sale separately?

Going forward might be useful to get vets' opinions on other sale items. Thanks.

Edited by Catch21, 26 December 2017 - 02:00 PM.

Mercsn #2 Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

Comparing a "deal" to what other servers get is strange to me because....we don't get what they get.  So, the question really should be, is something a good deal here. I realize you've played wot for a bit and have your own way of looking at things, but that's my take on it.  If they pass out golden crappers in China does that mean I'm getting a bad deal in the USA because they aren't passing out golden crappers here??

Whether something is a good deal or good value also includes "is this something I'm going to use and enjoy using".   I also picked up the 109TL, based partly on it's reputation when I last played (beta thru 1.0!) and failed to realize it had it's altitude cut to much lower than the 262 (same engines, lighter and more aero craft) and lower than the tech tree fighters.  The 109TL was a bad value even at a heavy discount, in my case.  I don't like it and won't use it much.

The Seafang, is a bit like a UK version of the game's USA Mustang, albeit with 4x 20mm cannon and the ability to carry rockets or bombs (which ages ago, the mustang line had also).   It's not "great", but it's infinitely more usable as both a credit grinder and crew skill trainer (hurricanes!) than the 109 TL (even though I do now have a 262 pilot who'd like a fun, productive premium to train in).  So, at full price the Seafang is a better deal than the discounted 109TL, regardless of what other servers get. At least in my experience.

The Mustang Mk1 and 1a are exactly similar in flight, but hugely different in shooting.  I like them both.  The Mk 1a, currently available in game for gold has the same 4x 20mm that the Seafang does, but two tiers sooner (the hurricane gets them at tier 5, hurricanes!!).  The 20mm are more likely to crit and crit harder than the Mk 1's .50 cals.  They also have about 200m to 400m more range than the Mk 1's .30 and .50 cal gun combo.  So, you can really reach out and touch someone with the Mk 1a (diddle them like you were Weinstein!).   Between the two, I really can't pick a favorite, though.  I've flown them back to back and enjoy them both.  The Mk1's .50 and .30 cal mgs throw up a lot of lead and take a long time to overheat and the .30s have a better chance to light stuff on fire than the 20mm of the Mk 1a.

Both craft fly the same and have the same camo available (as in neither has a unique pattern).

On these two, I would say it boils down to:  if you hate guns that overheat quickly, the Mk 1 is better.  If you are ok with trigger control and prefer longer range and better burst damage, the Mk 1a is better.

The Miles, I have from ....years ago and haven't played it since returning a month or so ago.  But, if you have a good tier 6 and decent tier 8 premium most folks wouldn't use the lower tier for credits or training anyways.

I was a bit bummed that this deal came up just after I'd recently added the Seafang and Mustangs as trainers for my UK pilots.  I paid full price and use both the Mustang and Seafang for credits and fun, so at a discount, I'd say it's a good deal and value.  The Miles, if nothing else is a bonus hangar slot if you won't use it.

The current meta is turn fighting.  So, if you want a Zero, Spitfire, or Yak style turn-fighter the package is a bad deal.  If you can deal with the mustang's lackluster turning ability, you will probably enjoy (or at least find use for)the Mustang Mk1 and Seafang.   BTW, you can find a free Spitfire premium (mg only, no cannons) here, if you want a UK trainer and do want good turning (.30 cals have poor range, but it's a Spit and it seems to have a solid +credit modifier).

If you're on the fence about it being a good deal, you may hope that they have individual planes available for discount when the Hurricane line actually releases to the tech tree.  The current deal would be a great deal to me (of course, I paid full price!).  But, they might not offer things individually or might have packages you like even less, or offer nothing at all as a tie-in with the Hurricane tree release.  They are obviously pushing the UK planes with the Meteor on special along with this boxing day deal.

Regarding the Meteor, it is currently not a good deal price-wise, but I like planes with nose guns.  I prefer both the Seafang and Mustang Mk1 (the Mk1a too, but discussing package planes) to the Meteor.  The Meteor is "ok", but the Seafang will earn more credits per match and the Mk 1 is more fun to fly in its tier (or at least I seem to have had good luck with it so far).

Both UK Mustangs and the Seafang are solidly decent planes that do their jobs well, earn credits and train UK crew.  It just boils down to how much you want to spend.  If you already have the Chinese tier 8 P51k Mustang (I don't own the P51k), the Seafang is a lower altitude version of more of the same, stats wise, except the Seafang is a useful crew trainer (and the Seafang has the 20mm vs the .50cal mg of the P51k, see discussion on the Mustang variants).

If you have the P51k, I'd say skip the Seafang and get the Mk 1a for gold.  If you plan to play UK and want a crew trainer in tier 8, then the Seafang looks attractive, but redundant for credit grinding with the P51k.  If you thought the P51k was a good deal, but didn't buy it, then the Boxing day package is a good deal.  I skipped the P51k/CN Mosquito because the tech tree has both planes, minus the credit bonus, in "useful" nations.

Hopefully all of that back and forth made some sense.  I'm sleepy. lol. If not, feel free to PM with a question on the UK planes.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Catch21 #3 Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

Yes, it all does make sense to me and thanks. What I'm gonna do, I'm still not sure. Whether this game will make it, and what happened to 1.9ers weigh in here as intangibles.

Not to mention increasingly unpalatable ways to generate revenue, by throwing in items most don't want or need any more (premium time, gold, other [edited]) and:

1) Gold not as useful as it once was, since less to buy in game, more in the shop for $s.

2) Missions Impossible unless you pay your way in buying free passes (tokens).

3) Missions unavailable unless you pay your way in buying planes otherwise unavailable.

Edited by Catch21, 26 December 2017 - 09:59 PM.

Wombatmetal #4 Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:08 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 750 battles

Honestly, if you were to spend the same money on 45 Santa gifts you would likely get enough gold for a t8 , premium time, free xp, and hurricanes and dorniers.

That's another route 

Confucious #5 Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

Senior Airman

• 120 battles
Thanks for the info on the Boxing Day bundle. I attempted that Spitfire code but got an invalid message. Went to site, got code, entered it at WOWP premium shop activate code link but nadda. What am I doing wrong?

Catch21 #6 Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:36 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
Did you get code via email? If so make sure you're logged in to wargaming with the same email account. Otherwise is it valid for NA or only EU server? Or have all 100K been taken already (very, very, doubtful)?

Catch21 #7 Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
Another deal is if you want a Premium Account for 6/12 months, buy in a World of Tanks account with Gold & get 15% off (World of Warplanes don't offer this). A Premium Account is valid for benefits across all WG titles, tanks, planes, ships.

Confucious #8 Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:51 AM

Senior Airman

• 120 battles
Finally got it sorted out. Thanks for reply Catch21. 

Catch21 #9 Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostConfucious, on 27 December 2017 - 06:51 AM, said:

Finally got it sorted out. Thanks for reply Catch21. 

And the codes here (I'd give credit, but the codes are out there in loads of places, one just has to look- here, Reddit) are still valid (perform the steps) for (Levels-Gold Price):

1) Spitfire 1a (5-1700) Fw 56 (2-?)

2) IL-2 (Modified) (5-1600), SE 100 (5-1800), XFL 1 (5-1600)

@250/$ Gold price that's c$25 in free planes. And these planes are GOOD planes, especially as starters for each plane type (no bombers). Arguably far better at their tier than what you get with the loot crapcrates and Christmas stuffingsstockings.

Edited by Catch21, 27 December 2017 - 12:41 PM.

crzyhawk #10 Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Master Sergeant

• 795 battles
The Spitfire 1a has been especially valuable to me.  It's forgiving for newer players, and makes a decent amount of silver.  I'd probably like it a wee bit more if it was a 1b model, but you can't beat it for a free airplane.

SkyWolf__WM #11 Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2183 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
They took the Seafang out of the premium shop.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

Catch21 #12 Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
Yes, this offer was a one-day only, Boxing Day Special, why I was anxious for opinions quickly.

Catch21 #13 Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

Some interesting NYD deals (using 300 Gold/$ or €, I pay in €s where €1=$1.20 so my #s may need 20% rounding):

GREAT WALL GUARDS- I'm leaving them up there, too many other unnecessary items. The 1500 Gold is worth 5, slots 1, the planes maybe 2 each when on 50% sale, total c10, you're paying the remainder for the consumables.

REINFORCEMENTS- I don't need them, is there anything this E-3 Me109 does the tech tree one doesn't, aside from it's premium qualities (extra credits, trainer ability)? You can kit it out engine/armaments-wise pretty much the same, better even (hub-mounted cannon). The 3000 Gold is worth 10, slots 1, the planes maybe 3 each when on 50% sale, total c17. The Spitfire 1a I have already (through the Boxing Day Deal), mainly because it's a useful Spit trainer AND it has the 8 Brownings which you can't put on the tech tree 1 (only 6). There's a deal with the Spit 1a by itself but once you calculate it out versus a 50% discount, it's not a good deal.

TRY A PREMIUM XP-31!- Why not? What's to lose, spare change and you get a hangar slot, worth $0.50 @ 50% off...

DUAL STRIKE- Sure, tap me twice. The 5500 Gold is worth 18, slots 1, the planes maybe 3 each when on 50% sale, total c22. So I could get it a little cheaper if all the stars align with sales, but both planes get (really?) good reviews, and I need a Jap trainer bad. Sold.

The best deal seems to be (and for World of Tanks players too) STRATEGIC RESOURCES- here you get 30 days Premium (worth c€11 and c€5.50 on 50% off), but if you take this off the €23.39, you get 7500 Gold for €17.89 which seems a very good gold rate. I'd buy this if I wasn't getting the DUAL STRIKE Gold and bought some Gold yesterday so I could buy a good few slots while they were still 50% off.

Catch21 #14 Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
Gotta say, can't really go wrong with this deal on a premium Spitfire Mark 1a for $1.

Azanthriel #15 Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1390 battles
  • [-AK-] -AK-

View PostCatch21, on 20 February 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

Gotta say, can't really go wrong with this deal on a premium Spitfire Mark 1a for $1.

If you own the plane do yo​u get the hanger slot and pilot. :)

Edited by Azanthriel, 21 February 2018 - 12:04 PM.

Alpha Tester World of Tanks Generals & Beta Tester For Total War Arena

trikke #16 Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

• 1514 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

that is a good question... 

i would guess 'no' but i've never bought a plane twice, so i really don't know

you might get a dollar's worth of gold, but probably no hangar since you wouldn't get the plane to stick in it

or WG may block the purchase altogether 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Azanthriel #17 Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1390 battles
  • [-AK-] -AK-
Experiment complete. You get exactly $1 worth of gold.

Alpha Tester World of Tanks Generals & Beta Tester For Total War Arena

Catch21 #18 Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1992 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostAzanthriel, on 21 February 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Experiment complete. You get exactly $1 worth of gold.

Did you get a pilot and hangar slot too?

Bear_82 #19 Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

• 40 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostCatch21, on 21 February 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

Did you get a pilot and hangar slot too?

you do not

blackmustang5 #20 Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1310 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I tried to buy it too and only received 170 gold compensation.

No hanger slot and no pilot.

Put in a support ticket and they replied because of the 90% discount that is all you get.

I asked for a refund and they did credit it back.

The best way to do it would be to sell the existing plane you have for around 400,000 silver.

You would get an open slot and make sure your Spitfire 1a pilot was retrained onto something else.

Then buy the package for the 90% off.

Edited by blackmustang5, 21 February 2018 - 08:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users