Just got the Ju88A

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

comtedumas #1 Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK
is it just me or does it seem the bombs aren’t really suited for high altitude bombing?  With the Blenheim I can bomb accurately from 10000ft, but these Ju88a bombs don’t seem as accurate.  And is that because they modeled wind, or just made lighter bombs less accurate?

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

vcharng #2 Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:40 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3740 battles

I think it's about blast radius, you thought you bombed very accurately in your Blenheim because those targets are always inside the huge blast radius of Blenheim's huge (for a tier 3) 250 lb bombs, close enough for an insta-kill.

But with bomblets like those loaded on the 17Z, 88A and A-26, you'll need to pray that many enough bombs fell close enough to your target in order to deal sufficient damage.

Edit: oh and another issue is that when you drop more than one bomb per jettison command, they are NOT dropped at the same time. I believe Ju88 drops its 20 bombs in four groups, so each time you hit the space bar it will drop five bombs, and when the 5th bomb is finally released your plane has already flew forward for a distance, possibly with some wobbles since you don't usually fly perfectly straight, so it's no surprise that the 5th bomb will hit somewhere very different from where the 1st hit.

Edited by vcharng, 24 December 2017 - 04:45 AM.

Wombatmetal #3 Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postcomtedumas, on 23 December 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

is it just me or does it seem the bombs aren’t really suited for high altitude bombing?  With the Blenheim I can bomb accurately from 10000ft, but these Ju88a bombs don’t seem as accurate.  And is that because they modeled wind, or just made lighter bombs less accurate?

As I got the different bombers, it became apparent that the timing and drop patterns differs plane to plane. Try going diagonally across the target and dropping a touch earlier 

HazeGrayUnderway #4 Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles
I don't have the Ju-88A but I did get that Bomber Pack.  One thing I do notice is the higher in altitude you are, the more inaccurate your bombs may be.  Something I especially noticed with A-26 and RB-17.  If the threat of fighter interception forces me into higher, safer altitudes, my bomb accuracy gets worse.

trikke #5 Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Captain

• 3557 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i try to do all the pro tips here and in other posts, but bot bombers usually score higher than me...  so embarrassing 

i see other humans doing so much better than me, so i'm asking santa for just one present this year

GOLD BOMBS, please!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

comtedumas #6 Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK
I also learned last night that it’s imperative to take the pilot skill that boost blast radius.  I am slowly dialing it in, I should be good soon.  

32 GB Ram

trikke #7 Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:04 PM

Captain

• 3557 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

at the rate that i'm progressing, it will be a while until i get any additional pilot skills in the blennie or the RB

in the A-26, on the other hand...  i'm a bad mamma-jamma when flying it the way God intended it to be flown

Pogo68 #8 Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 24 December 2017 - 06:25 AM, said:

I don't have the Ju-88A but I did get that Bomber Pack.  One thing I do notice is the higher in altitude you are, the more inaccurate your bombs may be.  Something I especially noticed with A-26 and RB-17.  If the threat of fighter interception forces me into higher, safer altitudes, my bomb accuracy gets worse.

So you discovered what the USAAF found out in WW2,

The higher you go the less accurate your bombing.

They rediscovered that in 1991 as well.

When F-16's which had the most accurate bombing system on an tactical aircraft on the planet missed 80% of their targets because they were bombing from 15,000ft instead of 5,000ft.

Edited by Pogo68, 26 December 2017 - 06:45 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

StoptheViolins #9 Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2181 battles
Hiding up high isn't an option with bots.  Air def and ai heavies now have no qualms about climbing up and having a go at bombers.  2.5k, 3k.. AI still comes.

legoboy0401 #10 Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1657 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostStoptheViolins, on 24 December 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

Hiding up high isn't an option with bots. Air def and ai heavies now have no qualms about climbing up and having a go at bombers. 2.5k, 3k.. AI still comes.

They ARE however, still too dumb to get off your tail when you are are moments away from finishing depleting all their health with your rear guns.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:13 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4856 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
There's a certain charm to flying a nearly defenceless bomb truck in the game tbh. I loved flying traders in all the old "Han Solo Simulators" and the German bombers give me that same kind of feel. Few things quite as thrilling as breaking through hostile fighters to deliver your payload

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 25 December 2017 - 06:15 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Pogo68 #12 Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Postlegoboy0401, on 24 December 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

They ARE however, still too dumb to get off your tail when you are are moments away from finishing depleting all their health with your rear guns.

They are not smart enough to use forward quarter attacks.
DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

HazeGrayUnderway #13 Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles

View PostStoptheViolins, on 25 December 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

Hiding up high isn't an option with bots. Air def and ai heavies now have no qualms about climbing up and having a go at bombers. 2.5k, 3k.. AI still comes.

If you know how to play angles, distance, you force them to stall out.  Hell, this works even with some players that don't know any better on how to gain altitude without stalling out.

The AA?  You nail the heavy AA first with the first run and then you can do whatever you want.  The real threat has always been player heavy fighters and high altitude fighters.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 25 December 2017 - 08:29 AM.

Pogo68 #14 Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 25 December 2017 - 12:28 AM, said:

If you know how to play angles, distance, you force them to stall out.  Hell, this works even with some players that don't know any better on how to gain altitude without stalling out.

The AA?  You nail the heavy AA first with the first run and then you can do whatever you want.  The real threat has always been player heavy fighters and high altitude fighters.

There is a possible hook attack too.

The attacking fighter starts out below and in front of the target bomber.

It starts the attack by pitching up into a 45 deg climb firing at the belly of the bomber as he climbs with at full throttle.

By the time the gun starts to over heat, the fighter will be upside down and behind the bomber where it then lights the can and dives back down to the inside of the turning bomber.

It then recovers in front and below the bomber outside the bombers defensive gun arc.

Repeat.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP

HazeGrayUnderway #15 Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles

View PostPogo68, on 25 December 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

There is a possible hook attack too.

The attacking fighter starts out below and in front of the target bomber.

It starts the attack by pitching up into a 45 deg climb firing at the belly of the bomber as he climbs with at full throttle.

By the time the gun starts to over heat, the fighter will be upside down and behind the bomber where it then lights the can and dives back down to the inside of the turning bomber.

It then recovers in front and below the bomber outside the bombers defensive gun arc.

Repeat.

I have yet to see anyone come up to a high enough altitude to come down diving on my bomber at high altitude.  People struggle to try to even zoom up to my altitude, much less zoom up, above, and come diving down.  Which is even more incentive to stay higher up.  Of course, high altitude fighters and heavy fighters got more means, options to intercept high flying bombers, but with so many people going low altitude T&B fighters, very few candidates are there to come up to high altitude, much less have the engine power, engine boost, ability to fight at such heights.  Even the Multi-Roles struggle.

Edit:  Okay, had this attack happen to me with my bomber, each time it was a Heavy Fighter doing it, P-38J and then an Me410.

====

As for the Ju88A though, the bomb reload is pretty long.  So I'm switching things up with this bomber to be a low level one.  The multi-bomb drops, the long reload time coincides perfectly with the timing of low level bombing.  The safer route is higher altitude, but I already have multiple bombers geared for such fighting.  Not to mention that long reload is annoying at high altitude.  At low level bombing, you zoom in, bomb targets, zoom past and turn around for another run.  By the time you're making your next run the bombs are about ready.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 26 December 2017 - 10:55 PM.

trikke #16 Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Captain

• 3557 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 25 December 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

I have yet to see anyone come up to a high enough altitude to come down diving on my bomber at high altitude.  People struggle to try to even zoom up to my altitude, much less zoom up, above, and come diving down.  Which is even more incentive to stay higher up.  Of course, high altitude fighters and heavy fighters got more means, options to intercept high flying bombers, but with so many people going low altitude T&B fighters, very few candidates are there to come up to high altitude, much less have the engine power, engine boost, ability to fight at such heights.  Even the Multi-Roles struggle.

Edit:  Okay, had this attack happen to me with my bomber, each time it was a Heavy Fighter doing it, P-38J and then an Me410.

====

As for the Ju88A though, the bomb reload is pretty long.  So I'm switching things up with this bomber to be a low level one.  The multi-bomb drops, the long reload time coincides perfectly with the timing of low level bombing.  The safer route is higher altitude, but I already have multiple bombers geared for such fighting.  Not to mention that long reload is annoying at high altitude.  At low level bombing, you zoom in, bomb targets, zoom past and turn around for another run.  By the time you're making your next run the bombs are about ready.

even with pilot skills, i'm barely passable as a blue team member in a bomber 

i just got the ju88a from Santa, so i'm going down low(er) and drive it like i stole it

comtedumas #17 Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Posttrikke, on 31 December 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

even with pilot skills, i'm barely passable as a blue team member in a bomber 

i just got the ju88a from Santa, so i'm going down low(er) and drive it like i stole it

higher is the way to go.  It’s not fast enough to outrun anyone down low.  I have had good luck up high, just remember your bombs drop in a string, not just on one point.  I usually drop on a ground target just prior to the stone fence surrounding the ground targets, and it seems to string the bombs nicely along the ground target.  

32 GB Ram

StoptheViolins #18 Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2181 battles
Stay high, pray for same tier teams, and fly as low as you want to over plants as they don't have fighter cover.  Just keep an eye out for rogue enemies so you can get altitude quickly.

trikke #19 Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Captain

• 3557 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postcomtedumas, on 31 December 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

I usually drop on a ground target just prior to the stone fence surrounding the ground targets, and it seems to string the bombs nicely along the ground target.  

that is a great pro tip, brother!   ty!

i'm always ashamed to see the black bomb strike blotches streaming away from my previously bombed targets 

StoptheViolins #20 Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2181 battles
Someone posted a diagram for sequential bombing (salvo).  Essentially drop on longest line that goes through a target on a target (so on a square target, diagonally).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users