Junkers Ju.88A Ju.88A Junkers Guide Review Replay Video

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:48 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 419 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Well Merry Christmas, Magus!  Was given a fifteen dollar Santa pack and upon logging into game, found this big German bomber in my hangar, still smelling like fresh feldgrau paint.  Very pleased, I set about customizing her, spending free xp to upgrade her defensive guns, purchasing a top enging for her since it had already been researched on one of my other German aircraft, spending gold that came from the Santa pack to retrain my old Focke Wulf Fw.57 crew for bomber duty at full proficiency with 4 skill points on the pilot and 5 on the gunner.  The last of the Santa pack gold was spent putting camo for all maps on my newest bomber and giving her a unit emblem.

Then I set about looking at what the aircraft could do; initial analysis indicated she should be flown high, as high as her engines can stand.  That stands to reason, and would leave the Me.210, P-38F and Bf.110E as her natural predators.  The German bombers are very effective bombers; the Ju.88A is capable of flipping already damaged capture zoness in a single pass and can capture a zone on its own with two loads of bombs.  The bombs retain accuracy from even high altitudes and with a bomb sight demolition expert combo they become even more effective.  The capture potential the Ju.88A possesses is countered by the fact that if anything can get into a position to threaten it, the German bomber is easy prey, with little armor and a propensity for injured crewman and catching fire.  The Ju.88A carries 20 bombs.  She drops them in clusters of four, dropping five clusters per load.  Each load requires 40 seconds to prepare.  That destructive potential is balanced by the fact that she can explode after five seconds of exposure to heavy fire.  

Against a single fighter or a heavily injured plane the Ju.88A's defensive guns may prevail.  Their damage potential ranges from 32 to 48 depending on level of upgrade and location of gun.  There are large blind spots in her defensive gun array, the centerpoint of which is the leading edge of her wing on both sides.  Approach from that angle or a bit ahead and the Junkers can do nothing about you except maybe turn in for an attempted head-on, in which case he still has only one gun on you.

The Ju.88A bomber is a monster, but only if you let it be one.  (Naturally tier VI will crap all over it, but that's to be expected!)

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

vcharng #2 Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1993 battles

uhh your video (caption at the very beginning, other instances are correct) states the 88A as tier VI, but I think it is tier V.

Also, I thought after 2.0.2, every group of turrets can engage one target at a time? so the 88A should be able to engage 3 at most?

Edited by vcharng, 22 December 2017 - 09:22 AM.

CamuMahubah #3 Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1213 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS
Cool.  I mean the history and all.  The play style is not for me at this time but I do enjoy killing sky whales.

Mercsn #4 Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

View Postvcharng, on 22 December 2017 - 03:19 AM, said:

uhh your video (caption at the very beginning, other instances are correct) states the 88A as tier VI, but I think it is tier V.

Also, I thought after 2.0.2, every group of turrets can engage one target at a time? so the 88A should be able to engage 3 at most?

That's what I understood from the patch notes also.  The notes specifically said if a player has manual control of one turret, if a target is in another turrets field of fire that doesn't overlap with the manually controlled turret, the other turrets will engage those targets.  So, essentially, the ai turrets won't help you clobber someone you're manually shooting at, even if coverage did overlap, but each turret can engage its own target simultaneously.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

poisonousblood #5 Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4619 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostCamuMahubah, on 22 December 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Cool.  I mean the history and all.  The play style is not for me at this time but I do enjoy killing sky whales.

try low altitude bombing.

Zigfreid #6 Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4595 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Merry Christmas Magus nice video and thanks for sharing.

You left a lot of unfinished ground targets, your drop on clusters

and singles are different, looks like your timing was off.

legoboy0401 #7 Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 21 December 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

Well Merry Christmas, Magus!  Was given a fifteen dollar Santa pack and upon logging into game, found this big German bomber in my hangar, still smelling like fresh feldgrau paint.  Very pleased, I set about customizing her, spending free xp to upgrade her defensive guns, purchasing a top enging for her since it had already been researched on one of my other German aircraft, spending gold that came from the Santa pack to retrain my old Focke Wulf Fw.57 crew for bomber duty at full proficiency with 4 skill points on the pilot and 5 on the gunner.  The last of the Santa pack gold was spent putting camo for all maps on my newest bomber and giving her a unit emblem.

Then I set about looking at what the aircraft could do; initial analysis indicated she should be flown high, as high as her engines can stand.  That stands to reason, and would leave the Me.210, P-38F and Bf.110E as her natural predators.  The German bombers are very effective bombers; the Ju.88A is capable of flipping already damaged capture zoness in a single pass and can capture a zone on its own with two loads of bombs.  The bombs retain accuracy from even high altitudes and with a bomb sight demolition expert combo they become even more effective.  The capture potential the Ju.88A possesses is countered by the fact that if anything can get into a position to threaten it, the German bomber is easy prey, with little armor and a propensity for injured crewman and catching fire.  The Ju.88A carries 20 bombs.  She drops them in clusters of four, dropping five clusters per load.  Each load requires 40 seconds to prepare.  That destructive potential is balanced by the fact that she can explode after five seconds of exposure to heavy fire.  

Against a single fighter or a heavily injured plane the Ju.88A's defensive guns may prevail.  Their damage potential ranges from 32 to 48 depending on level of upgrade and location of gun.  There are large blind spots in her defensive gun array, the centerpoint of which is the leading edge of her wing on both sides.  Approach from that angle or a bit ahead and the Junkers can do nothing about you except maybe turn in for an attempted head-on, in which case he still has only one gun on you.

The Ju.88A bomber is a monster, but only if you let it be one.  (Naturally tier VI will crap all over it, but that's to be expected!)

Good hunting!  :honoring:

What then would you think of outfitting the DE Bombers with self-sealing fuel tanks, Reinforced Airframe and Bombsight? In addition to the equipment, fire fighting and protection expert seem like must haves for the pilot.

I'd probably go with Defensive Fire First for the rear gunner. It's expensive if you don't have an already  3-skilled rear gunner, but I think it'd be worth it, for sure.

If the defensive guns are no use against heavy fighters on their own, defensive fire(making enemy weapons weaker when they are under fire from defensive gunners) and the critical hit increasing skill might together persuade any heavy fighter to break off the attack prematurely.

What do you think?

Random Thoughts Of The Day:

World of Warplanes? More like World of Bots-that-are-designed-to-fail-so-you-lose-as-often-as-you-win.

Heavy Fighters? More like Obsolete Flying Bricks.

Attack Aircraft? More like Bomber-wannabes.

SpiritFoxMY #8 Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1352 battles
I have Bombsight, Reinforced Airframe and Turret Stabilizer - a pair of P-38s spent an entire game hunting me on Archipelago: Decisive Blow. My team won, but they held me to just 1000+ CP. What should I do in a case where one or two members of the enemy team have made it their mission to hunt me (or any bomber) down almost to the exclusion of everything else?

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

crzyhawk #9 Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:58 AM

Master Sergeant

• 795 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 23 December 2017 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have Bombsight, Reinforced Airframe and Turret Stabilizer - a pair of P-38s spent an entire game hunting me on Archipelago: Decisive Blow. My team won, but they held me to just 1000+ CP. What should I do in a case where one or two members of the enemy team have made it their mission to hunt me (or any bomber) down almost to the exclusion of everything else?

You took two fighters out of the game for the entire time.  You did your job.

Wombatmetal #10 Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 750 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 22 December 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

I have Bombsight, Engine Tuning, and Turret Stabilizer. 

I'm not sure what I would do in that case, but you occupied 2 players for the whole match which contributed to the loss. I have noticed I have more range on my guns than the P38. If I can get a crit they fall right back down, 3500m is too high for them. My next skill will be ballistics expert which extends range and boosts turret stabilization. 

Also, if I hold on to my boost, they expend theirs getting to me. I can leave them behind. The plane is seriously fast when boosting

I've also configured my arrows (left, right, up, down) to roll left, roll right, pitch up, pitch down so I can fly in 3d while shooting

View PostZigfreid, on 22 December 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Merry Christmas Magus nice video and thanks for sharing.

You left a lot of unfinished ground targets, your drop on clusters

and singles are different, looks like your timing was off.

I have noticed that the timing of the bombs from the different planes is different. Will take some flights to get it down right for each plane. 

Krautjaeger #11 Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 640 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS
Is it possible for a player to change/rotate turret position? If so I haven't found a way yet.

MagusGerhardt #12 Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 419 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostKrautjaeger, on 31 December 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

Is it possible for a player to change/rotate turret position? If so I haven't found a way yet.

The gun you are controlling changes as you pan your view around the aircraft; your POV will not change as your "control" moves from gun to gun.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

comtedumas #13 Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3924 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Postcrzyhawk, on 23 December 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

You took two fighters out of the game for the entire time.  You did your job.

agreed, that’s enough, they didn’t do their job.  

Also tagged with Junkers Ju.88A, Ju.88A, Junkers, Guide, Review, Replay, Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users