Tier 0

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

comtedumas #1 Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2420 battles
  • [FK] FK

yes, Tier 0. Hear me out.  

Lets have a Tier 0 made of of the best WWI fighters and bombers, then you can run events from WWI as well as WWII.  It would be fun, and there was a few dedicated WWI GAA as well, namely the Junkers CL1. You already have biplanes in the games, adapting them down to the performance levels for WWI should be easy.  

Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perco_lator #2 Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11 battles

Is this considered a WW1 bomber?

Mercsn #3 Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 965 battles

I can understand that some people enjoy the lazier pace of the lower tiers, namely tier 1 and 2.

However, things are already slowed down from "real life".  Ever notice how your aircraft is as big as a building on the ground even though the building should be much bigger?  That size "magic" is done to make it feel like you are moving faster than you really are.  Someone recently did a speed comparison and found that indicated speeds are something like 30-40% (not sure exactly, didn't save a link to the thread) more than what the craft is traveling, over a known distance.  This means that you are simply not moving as fast as the instrumentation is telling you. 

So, low tiers are probably performing something similar to WWI already.  Slowing it down any more would also require even smaller maps.  And, I'd prefer them to add back in missing maps to the tiers most folks play (tiers 3-6).

Years ago, I supported the idea of "tier 0" for new players who could have training in 3d combat prior to getting into actual matches.  I think they sort of have this now?  Or at least have training rooms available.  But a WWI tier 0 is going to play exactly like tier 1 currently does, but just be way out of place and further confuse players as to what they should play.  You know some newbie would be complaining on the forums about why he's "stuck at tier 0 and can't progress to tier 1 because there's no plane to upgrade to!"  Because they'd miss the bit about just selecting the actual tiers.

Interesting idea.  Is it possible to change aircraft skins in the client to look like other planes?  I know we can do different cammo.  If it's not possible to mod in the graphic of wwi planes for tier 1, just use your imagination.  It would paly exactly the same.  There really isn't much room to tone things down any further.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

comtedumas #4 Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2420 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostPerco_lator, on 17 December 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

Is this considered a WW1 bomber?

I was thinking lore along this line.  https://en.m.wikiped...wiki/Gotha_G.IV
Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

comtedumas #5 Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2420 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostMercsn, on 17 December 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

I can understand that some people enjoy the lazier pace of the lower tiers, namely tier 1 and 2.

However, things are already slowed down from "real life".  Ever notice how your aircraft is as big as a building on the ground even though the building should be much bigger?  That size "magic" is done to make it feel like you are moving faster than you really are.  Someone recently did a speed comparison and found that indicated speeds are something like 30-40% (not sure exactly, didn't save a link to the thread) more than what the craft is traveling, over a known distance.  This means that you are simply not moving as fast as the instrumentation is telling you. 

So, low tiers are probably performing something similar to WWI already.  Slowing it down any more would also require even smaller maps.  And, I'd prefer them to add back in missing maps to the tiers most folks play (tiers 3-6).

Years ago, I supported the idea of "tier 0" for new players who could have training in 3d combat prior to getting into actual matches.  I think they sort of have this now?  Or at least have training rooms available.  But a WWI tier 0 is going to play exactly like tier 1 currently does, but just be way out of place and further confuse players as to what they should play.  You know some newbie would be complaining on the forums about why he's "stuck at tier 0 and can't progress to tier 1 because there's no plane to upgrade to!"  Because they'd miss the bit about just selecting the actual tiers.

Interesting idea.  Is it possible to change aircraft skins in the client to look like other planes?  I know we can do different cammo.  If it's not possible to mod in the graphic of wwi planes for tier 1, just use your imagination.  It would paly exactly the same.  There really isn't much room to tone things down any further.

I helped beta test a WWI aircraft game of a famous name in 3D and we had in testing 60 testers in one PvP game in 1997.  WWI fighters are awesome to play in multiplayer.  It's not slow at all.  

pyantoryng #6 Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:35 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 881 battles
Tanks already had that Lanchester car limited time event for WW1 centennary...maybe Planes can do the same with Fokkers and Sopwiths one day...

Edited by pyantoryng, 18 December 2017 - 11:35 AM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

vcharng #7 Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1622 battles
I would personally say that WWI planes would probably need to be introduced in a separate game. The technology, tactics and battlefield environment were too different.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users