Can I get a Coach for Heavy Fighters?

heavy fighters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Desmios #1 Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1258 battles

hello all,

I have all the aircraft in the game down pretty well pat except one: heavy fighters.

I loved the history of the mosquito so I got it -- but I suck at it.

My understanding is this:  You are either flying high or flying low.

When high, you dip down and use top speed to outrun opponents -- and while low -- bomb + rocket.  This part I got.

The problem is when I get down; if I get an enemy on my tail, it is end of story for me.

I try to nose up and use 30s of boost to outclimb them, but it doesn't work; they shred me on the way up.

Should I not be staying down for as long as I am?  Is it literally like a parabola, where you use your downward acceleration to just thrust back-up-wards?  So really, I'm not down for less than 20seconds a so?

If I send replays would anyone be willing to watch and tell me what im doing wrong?  Also, how do I save replays?

thanks all!

CamuMahubah #2 Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1557 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS

The video below is not a heavy fighter but it is a great video of energy fighting.  Zoom And Boom.

I watched Shrike last month when I started out because I was clueless.  I think these are the best videos for players new to the style and/or new to the game. 

poisonousblood #3 Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5980 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostDesmios, on 15 December 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

hello all,

I have all the aircraft in the game down pretty well pat except one: heavy fighters.

I loved the history of the mosquito so I got it -- but I suck at it.

My understanding is this:  You are either flying high or flying low.

When high, you dip down and use top speed to outrun opponents -- and while low -- bomb + rocket.  This part I got.

The problem is when I get down; if I get an enemy on my tail, it is end of story for me.

I try to nose up and use 30s of boost to outclimb them, but it doesn't work; they shred me on the way up.

Should I not be staying down for as long as I am?  Is it literally like a parabola, where you use your downward acceleration to just thrust back-up-wards?  So really, I'm not down for less than 20seconds a so?

If I send replays would anyone be willing to watch and tell me what im doing wrong?  Also, how do I save replays?

thanks all!

Hey Des, replays aren't available in this patch anymore. But I hope my drawing below helps you a bit.

The key is how to use your Boost. Avoid using it at unnecessary situations like, boosting all the way up to 3km high which is actually waste of your boost. You should use your boost at situation 2 and situation 3, so you must spare atleast 2/3 of your boost at all times.

Forgot about bombs and rockets. Don't use it when you see lots of enemies are lurking around the base. Clear the enemies from base and then use the arnaments wisely, aiming at targets you are sure that you can completely destroy.

Edited by poisonousblood, 15 December 2017 - 09:06 AM.

Mercsn #4 Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2993 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Like poisonous blood said, you pretty much shouldn't attack ground targets unless there are no air targets available.  Here's more of my opinion on that, including a short vid displaying exactly why.

And...uuuhg.  Watching that how to BnZ vid was painful.  With a turny fighter, the enemies would have been dead instead of just playing tag with them. In the old game mode, it was fine because all that mattered was you took as little damage as possible while getting the kill. But, in this game mode, while you're kiting and opening range for another pass, the enemy is capping sectors (well, unless you get the good bots on your team).

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Desmios #5 Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1258 battles
How much more effective (if at all) is manual control of the rear gun as opposed to automatic control? I have a hard time rear gunning and flying

Desmios #6 Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1258 battles

View Postpoisonousblood, on 15 December 2017 - 03:54 AM, said:

Hey Des, replays aren't available in this patch anymore. But I hope my drawing below helps you a bit.

The key is how to use your Boost. Avoid using it at unnecessary situations like, boosting all the way up to 3km high which is actually waste of your boost. You should use your boost at situation 2 and situation 3, so you must spare atleast 2/3 of your boost at all times.

Forgot about bombs and rockets. Don't use it when you see lots of enemies are lurking around the base. Clear the enemies from base and then use the arnaments wisely, aiming at targets you are sure that you can completely destroy.

awesome man. Thank you so much for taking the time to draw that so I could learn. Really above and beyond. Kudos!

Noreaga #7 Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

hey there, 

there were a few guides out there, and that paper is good !

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/23908-boom-and-zoom-guide

I also found this, it is the basics of how to respond to BnZ. But you can get the idea of a good line. In the drawing the high alt BnZ is pulling out too late, do not sacrifice your atltitude for a an extra second on target. efficiently regain your altitude and repeat. As the plane with more energy you have the initiative and control the fight.

WOWP funny.jpg

or a better version seen here:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_026d.html

you can read the whole article here 

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_026a.html

finally my favorite site for ACM's, use acm's like cards in a poker game, they are great in certain situations and unfortunately the best way to learn to use them is experiment.

http://www.combataircraft.com/en/Tactics/Air-To-Air/

hope it helps you. 

Nimis obnoxii curare

trikke #8 Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:36 PM

Major

• 5213 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostDesmios, on 15 December 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

I have a hard time rear gunning and flying

me too... until i realized that a couple seconds of the keyboard 'up' key (which i believe is the down arrow key?) will juke your heavy around in the sky just enough to throw off a enemy's aim

all while you retain full control of your tail gunner, and all without you missing a single shot

but keep flying straight and level while getting shot by me, please!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

Pogo68 #9 Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Not to derail

I've got the game set up to fly via joystick.

Problem is when I switch to the rear gunner, the gun control is the joystick.

How do you use the mouse to control rear gun while keeping the plane in joystick control?

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Kiwiav8r #10 Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 608 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
That is an excellent description of BnZ from poisonousblood. It should be stickied in the newcomers section.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Azis_ #11 Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2928 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostPogo68, on 15 December 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

Not to derail

I've got the game set up to fly via joystick.

Problem is when I switch to the rear gunner, the gun control is the joystick.

How do you use the mouse to control rear gun while keeping the plane in joystick control?

keep the joy for shooting and fly with the KB while butt gunning...pretty sure the KB is still active with a stick.
rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

Desmios #12 Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:03 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1258 battles

Thanks all. I figured out what I was doing wrong. 

I was being greedy. I would.stay on the target til be died

Now I realize it's a drive by  this heLPS much

Wombatmetal #13 Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles

View PostDesmios, on 15 December 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Thanks all. I figured out what I was doing wrong. 

I was being greedy. I would.stay on the target til be died

Now I realize it's a drive by  this heLPS much

i think they did an excellent job. Just remember, look for targets heading towards you ir away from you. And use your dive speed advantage to escape

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users