F4U-1, F4U-4, F2G: Why Are They So Terrible?

corsair multirole USA Navy F4U

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

trikke #41 Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:39 PM

Captain

• 3465 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

had three sticks sitting in the top of a guest room closet, but threw the oldest away just yesterday, under orders from she-who-must-be-obeyed

they were 1.x sticks...  unusable in WT compared to mice, and just totally unusable in 2.x, so far

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CruzANDBruz #42 Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13149 battles

I find it interesting that it seems to be an accepted axiom that ones needs to use a mouse and keyboard to be any good at this game or that using a joystick puts one at a distinct disadvantage. I've managed to maintain a win rate north of 60% using a joystick for quite some time while playing against a vast majority who use mouse and keyboard. I'm not a good player compared to those few who who maintain a win rate of north of 70%, but I'm guessing those who do have other skills contributing to their win rate and would have a similar win rate if they were using a joystick.To tell you the truth, I struggled with this game while using mouse and keyboard, then I went out and bought gaming joystick and found that my game improved immediately. I'd never go back to mouse and keyboard.

badperson #43 Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:57 AM

Master Sergeant

• 4231 battles
  • [LNSTR] LNSTR

View PostX01_ISAAC_7, on 14 December 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

Seriously, I've flown some bad planes so far, but these things take the friggin cake. I've never felt so weak in a plane before, the ordinance loadout for them at tier 6 and 7 is extremely weak, and the cannons may say they give you an effective range of 700m, but i've found that you may as well have .50 cals because they aren't accurate at ALL at max range.

Honestly, trying to get to the F-94 Starfire with it's M61 Vulcan, is really starting to not feel anywhere near worth it. The P-47 line feels more powerful and maneuverable than these turds. Which is really sad considering how good the Corsairs were IRL.

Anyone else flying the F4Us and struggling to make them work?

EDIT: That's it. I've had enough. These 3 planes are getting free XP'ed through cause they are so fricking terrible. 700mm range on cannons my hairy white a**. Gotta be within 500m to get any consistently good damage. Getting outrun by Spitfires, 109s, Fw 190s, Out climbed by Thunderbolts, Yaks, and MiGs. No more. Not one more game in a Corsair for me.

I'm kinda surprised to read this.  I'm a sub-mediocre pilot and I still found the T6 and T7 Corsairs to be more than adequate.  Quite comfy actually.  The cannons are great except the overheat.  It turns better than almost anything that isn't a light turny fighter while still having lots of engine power.  Cruises fast and accelerates well under boost.  The T8 isn't as good though

HBMminecrafter #44 Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

Airman Basic

• 1822 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I had a great time, you've really got to get the pilot skills for accuracy and a scope. That's really the secret to making long range weapons great. I found the corsairs were able to quickly kill an opponent at their range consistently and very quickly when using that trick. 

bjorn1984 #45 Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2670 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
I can prove you wrong. Nothing wrong with the Corsairs, in fact my F4U-1 is my most flown plane with the F2G being my most flown tier 8. here is some replays featuring my Corsairs, and I still have like 3-4 more replays to be uploaded. It's not the plane, it's the pilot.

Check out my online content
Facebook: www.facebook.com/The_Mighty_Bjorn1984-525235531209893/
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJ6ptZRxCBV4MVqsOAI6TQ
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/mightybjorn1984

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users