F4U-1, F4U-4, F2G: Why Are They So Terrible?

corsair multirole USA Navy F4U

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

X01_ISAAC_7 #1 Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

Master Sergeant

• 529 battles

Seriously, I've flown some bad planes so far, but these things take the friggin cake. I've never felt so weak in a plane before, the ordinance loadout for them at tier 6 and 7 is extremely weak, and the cannons may say they give you an effective range of 700m, but i've found that you may as well have .50 cals because they aren't accurate at ALL at max range.

Honestly, trying to get to the F-94 Starfire with it's M61 Vulcan, is really starting to not feel anywhere near worth it. The P-47 line feels more powerful and maneuverable than these turds. Which is really sad considering how good the Corsairs were IRL.

Anyone else flying the F4Us and struggling to make them work?

EDIT: That's it. I've had enough. These 3 planes are getting free XP'ed through cause they are so fricking terrible. 700mm range on cannons my hairy white a**. Gotta be within 500m to get any consistently good damage. Getting outrun by Spitfires, 109s, Fw 190s, Out climbed by Thunderbolts, Yaks, and MiGs. No more. Not one more game in a Corsair for me.

Edited by NoLove_NoNothing, 14 December 2017 - 02:51 AM.

mustangman6579 #2 Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1963 battles
The american planes in this game get the shaft pretty hard. 

MARS_REVENANT #3 Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:18 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5652 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Congratulations! you have made it onto the ASK_MARS_ANYTHING! show.

Soon I will answer your questions on a Live Twitch Stream, convert it to a YouTube video and post it to the forums!!!

Stay tuned, I have been sick recently but I will get to it next week.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

CamuMahubah #4 Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1224 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS
I haven't played them but it is truly sad because they are neat looking aircraft.

X01_ISAAC_7 #5 Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:05 AM

Master Sergeant

• 529 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 14 December 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

Congratulations! you have made it onto the ASK_MARS_ANYTHING! show.

Soon I will answer your questions on a Live Twitch Stream, convert it to a YouTube video and post it to the forums!!!

I literally just saw you in a match while in my 109 TL.

MARS_REVENANT #6 Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:41 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5652 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostNoLove_NoNothing, on 13 December 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

I literally just saw you in a match while in my 109 TL.

Yes... and I questioned your use of the tier 8 TL on me in a tier 7 GA several times in the battle.... but I enjoyed the win.  Too sick to stream and talk... not too sick to play.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 14 December 2017 - 04:42 AM.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

X01_ISAAC_7 #7 Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• 529 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 14 December 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

Yes... and I questioned your use of the tier 8 TL on me in a tier 7 GA several times in the battle.... but I enjoyed the win.  Too sick to stream and talk... not too sick to play.

My team didn't have the brightest bots. Was trying to defend what points we had, especially considering you were trying to flip our Command Center.

MARS_REVENANT #8 Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:49 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5652 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostNoLove_NoNothing, on 13 December 2017 - 11:47 PM, said:

My team didn't have the brightest bots. Was trying to defend what points we had, especially considering you were trying to flip our Command Center.

your best use would have been to cap other sectors then take the command centre back.  ABC of WOWP 2.0.... Always Be Capping.  A top tier OP lane is wasted on low tier GA.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 14 December 2017 - 04:49 AM.

_Bruiser_ #9 Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5514 battles

View PostNoLove_NoNothing, on 14 December 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

Seriously, I've flown some bad planes so far, but these things take the friggin cake. I've never felt so weak in a plane before, the ordinance loadout for them at tier 6 and 7 is extremely weak, and the cannons may say they give you an effective range of 700m, but i've found that you may as well have .50 cals because they aren't accurate at ALL at max range.

Honestly, trying to get to the F-94 Starfire with it's M61 Vulcan, is really starting to not feel anywhere near worth it. The P-47 line feels more powerful and maneuverable than these turds. Which is really sad considering how good the Corsairs were IRL.

Anyone else flying the F4Us and struggling to make them work?

EDIT: That's it. I've had enough. These 3 planes are getting free XP'ed through cause they are so fricking terrible. 700mm range on cannons my hairy white a**. Gotta be within 500m to get any consistently good damage. Getting outrun by Spitfires, 109s, Fw 190s, Out climbed by Thunderbolts, Yaks, and MiGs. No more. Not one more game in a Corsair for me.

not really sure why your having trouble....

http://imgur.com/a/pHIfE

True, was a loss, but getting an ACE medal ina corsair? I dont understand your problem, lol.

kodiakalpha #10 Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1087 battles
I love the Corsairs (though I haven't got the F2G yet).  I find them to be a good balance of power and maneuverability with plenty of firepower from the 20mm cannon.  Question: do you play with mouse or joystick?  I play with a joystick, and I find that some planes that people like don't work well for me, while some that people have problems with are great for me.  I think some planes respond differently based on what you use for controls.

X01_ISAAC_7 #11 Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:45 AM

Master Sergeant

• 529 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 14 December 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

your best use would have been to cap other sectors then take the command centre back.  ABC of WOWP 2.0.... Always Be Capping.  A top tier OP lane is wasted on low tier GA.

Wouldn't have made a lick of difference in that match what I did. Your team got the cap advantage fast and early. And I've found that the Me 109 TL is anything but overpowered. The guns refuse to behave for me. At times it feels like all I have for weapons are the 2x 20mms. May as well not even have the 30s because they never wanna hit unless I'm point-blank. It's either try and aim to hit with the 20mms and always miss with the 30s, or try to get closer, aim to hit with the 30s, have only 1 or 2 seconds on target, miss with the 20s and then have to blast on through, get distance and turn around for another shot. The only reason I picked this plane up was for a better credit maker than the RB-17 and the fact that it was on sale for like 22% off ($37 instead of the $51). Funnily enough, I can't even get it to work any better as a credit maker than the RB-17. But that bomber is a whole other kettle of worms I'm not getting into.

View Postkodiakalpha, on 14 December 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

I love the Corsairs (though I haven't got the F2G yet).  I find them to be a good balance of power and maneuverability with plenty of firepower from the 20mm cannon.  Question: do you play with mouse or joystick?  I play with a joystick, and I find that some planes that people like don't work well for me, while some that people have problems with are great for me.  I think some planes respond differently based on what you use for controls.

I fly with the mouse and keyboard. Your ability to see what's going on around you, as well as get your guns on target FAR outstrips anyone trying to still fly with a joystick.

Edited by NoLove_NoNothing, 14 December 2017 - 05:49 AM.

ArrowZ_ #12 Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:57 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

You haven't gone up against an experienced joystick'er :P (most of them quit) 

But to each his own I guess. I've seen some exceptional flying from people who have mainly played with a stick. I'm sure in time some will pick it up again in 2.0 and start their own stomping sessions with a stick. 

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Mercsn #13 Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:20 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 13 December 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

An interesting choice of a premium plane...it's kind of like the F4U and FW190 in that it's not fast enough to outrun more maneuverable fighters, can't climb high enough (the TL does not get the 262's high altitude cap) to get away from things that can outrun or out maneuver it...and the guns are kinda hard to hit with both if you're leading a target.

He sounds like he was playing about the way Destroyer_Suzukaze was playing, as he describes in this thread, where he has fun with the FW190...and the 109TL is in line with how the FW190s play (mid altitude, not exceptionally fast, poor maneuvering, decent punch if you can line up all the guns).

I stink in that craft at shooting fast moving or maneuvering planes, and a human in a GA/bomber can be very dangerous, I would have gone after you too:  relatively easy target, gives you a spawn increase (if b4 squall), sends you back to spawn which is hopefully farther away from a blue zone, etc.

Anyways, with the F4U and FW190 line, I'm impressed by people who can make them work.  Arguably, I see fewer F4U guys than FW 190 drivers that this is the case for, and the F4U is usually just a tasty snack for my La or Yak.

I don't like the way WG has the altitude bands as lanes now, with the hit to speed for the "middle lane", middle altitude planes.  They should be the fastest, since they have no means of escape, other than horizontal speed.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

X01_ISAAC_7 #14 Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:41 AM

Master Sergeant

• 529 battles

View PostMercsn, on 14 December 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

An interesting choice of a premium plane...it's kind of like the F4U and FW190 in that it's not fast enough to outrun more maneuverable fighters, can't climb high enough (the TL does not get the 262's high altitude cap) to get away from things that can outrun or out maneuver it...and the guns are kinda hard to hit with both if you're leading a target.

He sounds like he was playing about the way Destroyer_Suzukaze was playing, as he describes in this thread, where he has fun with the FW190...and the 109TL is in line with how the FW190s play (mid altitude, not exceptionally fast, poor maneuvering, decent punch if you can line up all the guns).

I stink in that craft at shooting fast moving or maneuvering planes, and a human in a GA/bomber can be very dangerous, I would have gone after you too:  relatively easy target, gives you a spawn increase (if b4 squall), sends you back to spawn which is hopefully farther away from a blue zone, etc.

Anyways, with the F4U and FW190 line, I'm impressed by people who can make them work.  Arguably, I see fewer F4U guys than FW 190 drivers that this is the case for, and the F4U is usually just a tasty snack for my La or Yak.

I don't like the way WG has the altitude bands as lanes now, with the hit to speed for the "middle lane", middle altitude planes.  They should be the fastest, since they have no means of escape, other than horizontal speed.

It was also mostly this. The Command center I was protecting (desert map in colorado, western spawn) was in the southwest corner. He kept coming clear across the map, granted it was like one of (if not the only) the only caps left he could go after to get points as a GAA in that game. Our bots were all d*cking off chasing the bomber squadron from the enemy Command Center, and what human pilots we DID have weren't able to even flip a fricking Airbase from neutral Air Defense planes before his team swooped in and wiped everything out. I was the only one left defending our Command Center against him and one or two other GAAs other than a bot light fighter that showed up after a little while when he respawned.

And what's really weird is I can get the Fw 190 A and A-5 to work good enough (not perfect, not great, but good enough). And I love my P-47B and P-47N Thunderbolts, which kinda play the same way as the 190. But this 109 TL is just.......ugh. So frustrating. Like I said, if you're hitting with the 20s at your max engagement range, you'll never hit with the 30s. If you're hitting with the 30s inside of 616 meters, then all your 20mm shots are too far in front of your target. Only time I manage to hit with all 4 guns is when i'm directly in front or directly/slightly behind my target. In those cases yeah, the 20s and 30s absolutely wreck before they overheat. But other than that, coming in at angles or in a shallow turn against a perpendicular target? Pft. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside. The single 250kg bomb seems so weak, i may just take it off to get a little extra air speed. The rockets I'll keep because they are actually useful.

Edited by NoLove_NoNothing, 14 December 2017 - 06:45 AM.

Wombatmetal #15 Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostNoLove_NoNothing, on 13 December 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

It was also mostly this. The Command center I was protecting (desert map in colorado, western spawn) was in the southwest corner. He kept coming clear across the map, granted it was like one of (if not the only) the only caps left he could go after to get points as a GAA in that game. Our bots were all d*cking off chasing the bomber squadron from the enemy Command Center, and what human pilots we DID have weren't able to even flip a fricking Airbase from neutral Air Defense planes before his team swooped in and wiped everything out. I was the only one left defending our Command Center against him and one or two other GAAs other than a bot light fighter that showed up after a little while when he respawned.

And what's really weird is I can get the Fw 190 A and A-5 to work good enough (not perfect, not great, but good enough). And I love my P-47B and P-47N Thunderbolts, which kinda play the same way as the 190. But this 109 TL is just.......ugh. So frustrating. Like I said, if you're hitting with the 20s at your max engagement range, you'll never hit with the 30s. If you're hitting with the 30s inside of 616 meters, then all your 20mm shots are too far in front of your target. Only time I manage to hit with all 4 guns is when i'm directly in front or directly/slightly behind my target. In those cases yeah, the 20s and 30s absolutely wreck before they overheat. But other than that, coming in at angles or in a shallow turn against a perpendicular target? Pft. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside. The single 250kg bomb seems so weak, i may just take it off to get a little extra air speed. The rockets I'll keep because they are actually useful.

Have you tried binding your 30s to say the RMB so you have the one aim point for the greater range?

jack_wdw #16 Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:16 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2008 battles
To the op:
2.0 really killed this lines, prior to 2.0 they were all fun to fly.

You can cancel out grinding to the Starfire.
I still own this plane and took it out to battle in 2.0 a while ago.
This plane was actually designed as a high altitude bomber interceptor  (with its mighty mouse rockets).
I don't know what WG expects from it now (destroying ground targets?)
As it is nerfed now, it can barely get enough altitude to just destroy the bot-bombers, so if the player bombers hit the game, i think this plane will be pretty useless as most Multirole-labeled fighters are in 2.0.

spanks2 #17 Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1083 battles
...big, wing-mounted guns can be an accuracy challenge...

trikke #18 Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Captain

• 3465 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 13 December 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

hoping that you feel better soon, brother 
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

kodiakalpha #19 Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1087 battles

View PostNoLove_NoNothing, on 13 December 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

Wouldn't have made a lick of difference in that match what I did. Your team got the cap advantage fast and early. And I've found that the Me 109 TL is anything but overpowered. The guns refuse to behave for me. At times it feels like all I have for weapons are the 2x 20mms. May as well not even have the 30s because they never wanna hit unless I'm point-blank. It's either try and aim to hit with the 20mms and always miss with the 30s, or try to get closer, aim to hit with the 30s, have only 1 or 2 seconds on target, miss with the 20s and then have to blast on through, get distance and turn around for another shot. The only reason I picked this plane up was for a better credit maker than the RB-17 and the fact that it was on sale for like 22% off ($37 instead of the $51). Funnily enough, I can't even get it to work any better as a credit maker than the RB-17. But that bomber is a whole other kettle of worms I'm not getting into.

I fly with the mouse and keyboard. Your ability to see what's going on around you, as well as get your guns on target FAR outstrips anyone trying to still fly with a joystick.

I understand the advantages of the mouse, I just have more fun flying with the stick, and fun is the point of the game, as long as I can compete.  However, the stick gives more control over the flight path of the plane while the mouse gives more control over the point of aim.  I think the stick favors planes that can sustain DPS because its easier to smoothly hold guns on target, while the mouse favors high-alpha planes that only need to be on target when the guns fire.

I think that both schemes are valid, with mouse perhaps having a small advantage, but different planes are better for each scheme.

Kiwiav8r #20 Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 608 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

View PostArrowZ_, on 14 December 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

You haven't gone up against an experienced joystick'er :P (most of them quit) 

But to each his own I guess. I've seen some exceptional flying from people who have mainly played with a stick. I'm sure in time some will pick it up again in 2.0 and start their own stomping sessions with a stick. 

There's a Brit called iikiibuu who streams WOWP on the EU server. He plays with a joystick and he's very very good.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users