New player (sort of) questions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

NL_Celt #1 Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1119 battles

I tried this game years ago but it wasn't good, and then my computer couldn't handle updates. But now things have changed. After a Jingles video that showed its better playability I got back in. I'm still in tier 2 planes but recently got the code to get two planes including a tier 5 Brit. So I have some basic questions.

1. Crew Skills. In WoT people now recognize which ones to start with and also which ones are fairly useless. Though they seem good by the description players realize which are good and which less good through experience. I went through all the mistakes myself. So what are good and what is a good order to follow depending on the plane type?

2. When. When should I bother with crew skills? Often in WoT you might not bring crews forward and spend gold to retrain them, or credits, but by tier 5 you should be getting a skill at least and keeping your crew. What is a good basic plan?

3. Consumables. Should I be getting into them at low tiers or wait till I jump up a bit? Are there good ones and not so good?

4. Paint on planes. Much use and when to bother?

5. Websites. In WoT I know some useful websites like Tanks.gg, vBAddict, Tank Inspector and others that have disappeared. Are there any out there that help me?

6. Any lines/types which are particularly recommended? Any other basic concepts and other info that will help me get going in the right direction? Strategies, tactics, the different maps?

I have already started to go through the Battle Mechanics, but experienced help is often better.

Edited by NL_Celt, 13 December 2017 - 10:37 PM.

CamoCladWarrior #2 Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 67 battles
After I spent a week of grinding to get that plane real happy they are just giving them away now...  LOL

Wombatmetal #3 Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostNL_Celt, on 13 December 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

I tried this game years ago but it wasn't good, and then my computer couldn't handle updates. But now things have changed. After a Jingles video that showed its better playability I got back in. I'm still in tier 2 planes but recently got the code to get two planes including a tier 5 Brit. So I have some basic questions.

1. Crew Skills. In WoT people now recognize which ones to start with and also which ones are fairly useless. Though they seem good by the description players realize which are good and which less good through experience. I went through all the mistakes myself. So what are good and what is a good order to follow depending on the plane type?

2. When. When should I bother with crew skills? Often in WoT you might not bring crews forward and spend gold to retrain them, or credits, but by tier 5 you should be getting a skill at least and keeping your crew. What is a good basic plan?

3. Consumables. Should I be getting into them at low tiers or wait till I jump up a bit? Are there good ones and not so good?

5. Websites. In WoT I know some useful websites like Tanks.gg, vBAddict, Tank Inspector and others that have disappeared. Are there any out there that help me?

6. Any lines/types which are particularly recommended? Any other basic concepts and other info that will help me get going in the right direction? Strategies, tactics, the different maps?

I have already started to go through the Battle Mechanics, but experienced help is often better.

1 - Some of the crew skills depend upon the plane. For setup, check out the cheat sheet. It has suggested setups for all planes. This is a good place to start, then adjust as you develop your own play style. 

https://docs.google....t#gid=601624856

2 - Skills can be retrained for 40k silver per point. I usually start training when I have two points, don't like spending money needlessly. 

3 - I always have consumables. Fire extinguisher, med kit, rudder and trim. Normal kind, not gold. You don't have to use them if outcome is decided or whatever

4 - I don't know that paint makes much difference. It makes none if you are in a fighter in a fur ball. I paint planes I keep often just for cosmetics. Bombers and GAA I paint

5 - nope, WG isn't sharing stats at moment as far as I know

6 - No recommendations at all. What you like and what I like may be completely different. That being said, some thoughts

- Japanese fighters are good at turn and burn but very squishy. The Navy line (Zeroes) are great, until tier 8 when they become multi role and stop turning. The Army line improves each plane until tier 10.

- Spit is a good turn fighter line

- Multi Roles and Heavy Fighters harder to succeed with in general in the current meta. WG is betting this will change when bomber lines come out

- I like the US HF line.  It has more agility and speed than the others. 

- I am a GAA pilot mostly. The Russians are slow and soak a lot of damage (definitely protection expert on pilot). They have a lot of bombs and rockets. They also maneuver like a pregnant yak in a mud wallow. Germans have more agility but rely on cannons. You have to be very good with your aim and disciplined to make them work. For example JU-88 with 50mm, takes 5 shots to take down armored target, 1 shell for a soft target. So, fire 1-2-3-4-5 then shift targets even though shell is still in flight. You have to count the shots. IL is more spray and easier.  Both work, which style do you like?

- I am going up the Fw190 line, planes are terrible, but I want the bat plane at upper tier which is good. Other lines  - US HF, Russian GAA, Hawker Multi Role (when released). I dabble in other lines but I always get wins in those lines every day I can play. 

Catch21 #4 Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4605 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

I'm a WoT refugee too, so here's a few ideas from the same perspective- I played 1.x when it first came out, didn't like it much and started playing 2.x last month.

1) Crew skills. Search for info on the plane and/or ask- folks are pretty helpful.

2) You start earning them, or even get them on premium planes straightaway, so might as well use them. Always turn Accelerated Crew Training switch on ASAP and as soon as you get a premium plane, just as in WoT (or you'll rack up XP you have to pay gold to convert to free XP). Use premium planes as trainers as in WoT, options for the premium crew you get are retrain for regular plane, keep in barracks for a later plane, dismiss, or occasionally keep because you don't have another crew. A premium plane can be piloted by a pilot trained on any plane of the same nationality (same for rear gunners), but for regular planes, penalties apply as in WoT (e.g. a regular Spitfire 1 pilot operates a premium Spitfire 1a @ 100% but the  premium Spitfire 1a pilot operates a regular premium Spitfire 1 @ 75% (it's 50% if the plane class is different).

3) Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Dressing, Pneumatic Restarter cost c10K. I put them on lower tiers, you pay for them if you need them (often you don't) in a few battles. Higher you can switch out PR for Weapons Ventilation or Control Surface Trim.

4) I don't bother, at least for the camo effect. Hawkeye's Hangar has some skins if you want your plane to look nice in Hangar.

5) There were some pre-2.x, but I don't think they're updated for 2.0. Others here would know better, I look at NA, EU and RU forums, plus Reddit.

6) Depends what you like, rather like WoT. Arty-equivalent seems to be- logically enough- bombers. I've my own preferences (Soviet), but others would know better and I'd just post/ask depending on your area of interest. It's interesting flying the WWII icons- Spitfire, ME-109, P-51 etc...

Basic concepts- Part I and Part II will probably generate a few Qs to post. All the above from one WoT refugee to another. Again, there's a wealth of experience here and folks seem happy to help. Good luck up there!

Late Edit: To take into account prior post- (1) I started with the Cheat Sheet, but disagreed on some (in particular I've found AA much more deadly than the sheet's recommendations would indicate)- maybe get a 2nd opinion by posting? (2) Yes, agreed, initially I trained straightaway, now I wait for 2 points, it doesn't take long and gets you something fairly useful like Marksman Level I. (3) Yes, silver for consumables, not gold, not worth it.

Edited by Catch21, 14 December 2017 - 01:09 AM.

hoom #5 Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10433 battles

Welcome!

I've been much the same: didn't like the original way back, saw vids like Jingles on launch of 2.0, gave it a go & have been enjoying tremendously :)

1: For me most/all planes I'm going for Engine Guru I first (there isn't really such thing as a plane with too much engine power), Aerodynamics Expert 2nd (buffs both speed & turning equipment), sub-group with Engine Guru II, a few with Aerobatics Expert 3rd (better turning), others Marksman I 3rd (zoom in & look at your shot dispersion, some planes don't really need it, others you really want it) .

Planes which significantly use bombs/rockets should prioritise getting DE fairly quickly.

A very nice thing is here you get 100% skill resets (no XP lost) for Silver (40,000 per Pilot skill point -> 6pt Pilot reset = 240,000 Silver) which means you can experiment pretty freely without spending lots of real $$$.

2: Probably a bit lower: The Silver retraining is 100,000 Silver (which will be the major block early on), always leaves you 10,000 XP to retrain to 100% regardless of the Pilot skillpoints or Tier, so for several T3 planes you'll get meaningful Skill training while completing the research on that plane.

Note: you can't use Premium planes to accelerate that 10,000 XP, but once trained up to 100% (with a 3* special & a good battle I've had it take only 1 battle but typically ~5 reasonable ones) they will accelerate Skill training.

3: Honestly I haven't actually been using Consumables at all, still don't actually know if they are spent just by playing like in WoWS or only when you use them like WoT.

4: Haven't used paint other than a couple of Free Premiums that came with it, enemy planes seem to show up at significant range cammo or not.

5: Apparently there were some stats sites but WG killed the API with 2.0, recent FAQ said may be back ~2nd 1/2 2018 from recollection.

Official techtree page https://worldofwarpl....com/warplanes/ seems fairly good for exploring stats.

6: Depends on your leanings really: Spitfire/A6M lines are probably pretty good starters since Turn n Burn is very useful in the current mode & those are some of the best.

A lot of the US tree, many Multirole & the Heavies are Boom n Zoom which require a different way of flying that I'm not particularly good at but the speed & height is fun.

Ground Attack fly very sluggishly in low-mid tiers, blow up ground stuff while either ignored or being savaged by fighters, can do some nice work on careless fighters who come too low infront of you.

Player Bombers are coming but there are 3 Premiums currently & Command Centers send out waves of bombers that can flip caps for you.

Current meta is fairly TnB centered but BnZ can do very well, mostly the TnB planes get pretty useless at the heights Bombers hang out at. Mid-tiers a lot of the furballs start out mid/low-altitude & gradually rise.

Beware of diving Defense Heavies, they work in pairs & will mess you up if you don't dodge appropriately.

With machineguns you mostly can just hold fire button down until enemy is dead, with 20+mm cannon you need to learn to pulse fire to prevent guns overheating.

Similarly engine Boost should generally be pulsed to get max effect.

Caps win games. Except when they don't. (win by killing all after Squall Line)

Often the best thing to do is not go where the big ball of enemy are but head off to a different cap (preferably with a couple of other planes), see if you can flip it.

Its really easy to get tied down defending a cap vs a steady stream of respawning planes, finding a gap to go flip another cap can be key to victory.

Caps will flip for no apparent reason (sometimes there is actually a logical reason, other times its pretty much random), its a thing you'll just have to live with.

Universal ammo costs Silver, is generally better (more fires & crits) & not prohibitively costly.

Should have it on all machineguns, many use it with 20-30mm guns but gets very expensive for 37mm+.

Bots will generally head for closest cap/enemy plane, neutral before enemy.

Sometimes it means they just trickle into a defensive brick wall, other times it makes them a death-blob.

Generally try not to engage a death-blob unless you can see many of them have low hitpoints -> you can get in take some quick kills & give your side an advantage

Sometimes its best to follow with them helping to create the death-blob, other times you want to split off.

There are 3 AI levels, and they don't have a plan but they will talk in chat.

Do have a browse around the Tech tree, there are quite a few cases of cross-line shared modules like in WoT where you can get access to a key module earlier on one line, saving a good chunk of XP eg Beaufighter 2nd engine is top Spitfire I engine.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

NL_Celt #6 Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1119 battles

OK, thanks guys. This helps. After playing WoT in an info vacuum for many 1000's of battles I figured that best thing was to ask a few questions early and then get more specific as you understand things. With WoT I never thought that Wiki would have info/rules on a game, more than what their own website would say. Like getting a board game, all the rules are in the box. It was my first online game. I also didn't visit the forums as I thought it would be just a bunch of kids yapping at each other. So trying to avoid that. Something upon which we usually congratulate new WoT players when they show up early asking good questions.

I'll check out the links and continue reading and when in game I'll have a look at the recommendations here.

See you amongst the clouds!

mnbv_fockewulfe #7 Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:44 AM

Captain

• 653 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Just some thoughts on the upcoming "revival" of the BnZ meta.

Bombers introduced as a line in the game.

More bombers means more influence on the match.

More bombers gives HF's targets.

More HF's give high alt planes more targets.

High alt planes don't have to use their energy to BnZ HFs but rather only need to TnB to shoot down HFs.

HFs get shot down too easily so nobody flies them.

High alt fighters now have the task of shooting down bombers, for which they are ill equipped.

Everyone only flies Bombers and TnB because they are the only planes that affect the outcome of the match.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

Wombatmetal #8 Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 13 December 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

Just some thoughts on the upcoming "revival" of the BnZ meta.

Bombers introduced as a line in the game.

More bombers means more influence on the match.

More bombers gives HF's targets.

More HF's give high alt planes more targets.

High alt planes don't have to use their energy to BnZ HFs but rather only need to TnB to shoot down HFs.

HFs get shot down too easily so nobody flies them.

High alt fighters now have the task of shooting down bombers, for which they are ill equipped.

Everyone only flies Bombers and TnB because they are the only planes that affect the outcome of the match.

I don't think that's the case. One thing I have learned in my bombers is it is hard to take a cap by yourself, you need help. Not so in my GA. That airbase over there? I can take it in my Junkers or my Ilyushin on my own. Can't say that for a bomber. Now are fighters and bombers good at playing the objective? Yes, but not the only planes. 

And I like my HF for playing the objective too. I can cross the map to deal with a GA in our rear quicker. I actually have a good win rate in HF and my Fw 190s. Just never make any creds or xp. The game certainly favors TnB and bombers for that

mnbv_fockewulfe #9 Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:20 AM

Captain

• 653 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I disagree, from what I played with bombers in the CT you could cap a base by yourself in 3 or 4 passes. Couple this with having the strongest tail gunners and altitude performance in the game and no one wants to kill you in low population matches.

GA struggle in capping because of low ordinance and high reload times. BmBs offer a safer, faster way to cap a base out side of destroying DF bots. When update 2.0.2 roles out, I'll host another scrimmage to prove my point.

In fact, in the last scrimmage, we found that having a bomber on one side and not the other had too much influence on the battle, but having just one GA on each side and even having HF with rockets couldn't cap a military base in a timely manner.

P-51A was the most viable high alt LF IMO, because of top speed.

Me-410 and P-38 I'm undecided.

Spitfire was the favorite TnB and the German premium Spitfire was also really deadly.

The A-26 was almost untouchable, unless you were in the Me-410 and were a crack shot with a rocket (thanks TT).

GA such as the IL really didn't affect the outcome of the battle much out side of being cannon fodder for low flying planes.

edit: just had a match while I was flying in the Ta-152.

A high alt LF.

I encountered a human in the RB-17.

I thought, eh, might as well shot him down.

I had altitude on him, so I dove. He turned to meet me showing his forward firing guns so I broke off the attack at a lower alt.

I try to turn around, but by the time I do, the BmB is fleeing showing his TG to me. at 1100m away, I was crit 4 times and lost 90% of my health.

This is so freaking broken I don't understand how you could disagree with my above statement.

GA TG can be avoid because you will always have the energy advantage if you know what you're doing.

With a bomber, you're on the same playing field and the BmB has the advantage.

As a LF you don't: have enough alt performance to climb above the bomber,

enough boost to zoom past the bomber,

enough range on your forward firing guns to stalk the BMB,

and enough HP to survive the TG.

LFs can't even look at a BmB hungrily.

So how in the whole of the WG universe is "MOAH BOMHAS" gonna solve the problem? /endrant

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 14 December 2017 - 03:56 AM.

ArrowZ_ #10 Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:59 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles
I guess one easy way to nerf TG mechanic for bombers is lessen the auto aim assist with the bullets. Making TG aiming more challenging by having to learn to lead. The way it is now its equivalent to having a bot aim with higher damage. Idk just ideas. 

Edited by ArrowZ_, 14 December 2017 - 04:00 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5067 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I just say make bombers big XP and Silver pinatas and just watch people swarm them. Like give all fighters a % bonus to CP for shooting down bombers - make the risk more worthwhile.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #12 Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 13 December 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

I disagree, from what I played with bombers in the CT you could cap a base by yourself in 3 or 4 passes. Couple this with having the strongest tail gunners and altitude performance in the game and no one wants to kill you in low population matches.

GA struggle in capping because of low ordinance and high reload times. BmBs offer a safer, faster way to cap a base out side of destroying DF bots. When update 2.0.2 roles out, I'll host another scrimmage to prove my point.

In fact, in the last scrimmage, we found that having a bomber on one side and not the other had too much influence on the battle, but having just one GA on each side and even having HF with rockets couldn't cap a military base in a timely manner.

P-51A was the most viable high alt LF IMO, because of top speed.

Me-410 and P-38 I'm undecided.

Spitfire was the favorite TnB and the German premium Spitfire was also really deadly.

The A-26 was almost untouchable, unless you were in the Me-410 and were a crack shot with a rocket (thanks TT).

GA such as the IL really didn't affect the outcome of the battle much out side of being cannon fodder for low flying planes.

At mid-tier the contribution of GAAs is debatable and mostly depends on the map and how both teams play things out. That said, you can't really leave a decent enemy GAA unattended or it WILL capture any sector it stumbles upon. It mostly depends on the player knowing how much damage their weaponry does and exploiting that (which is also why GAA bots are the worst of them all). For example here's how I capture Garrisons. First take out the low-alt AA guns (1 volley of 37s each), ignore the high-alt ones unless there's fighters or bombers around. I know FAB-250s with the bomb skill can one-shot the 3 parallel armored buildings on the garrisons every time, and my 37s one-shot the soft ones next to them, so with that I can secure about half of the sector in one pass with only bombs. After that mop up the soft targets with cannon fire (or rockets if I'm in a hurry) and finish off one AA emplacement with 2 rockets and some gunfire; garrison captured. If I don't screw up too badly I can take the place in 3-4 passes with ease on my own, and still have plenty of health for the next sector. Add in team coordination and things get interesting :playing: :playing: :playing:

It becomes insane at higher tiers, with my IL-20 capturing most sectors only using the bombs and a rocket here and there (and that's if the tailgun doesn't shoot down something half-way through).

Back on-topic, I'll answer the ones I can:

View PostNL_Celt, on 13 December 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

1) It can vary a lot from plane to plane. That said, in general for pilots the improved accuracy will help any plane, and the improved bomb radius and damage is a must-have on most Ground Attack Aircraft and Bombers (whenever we get them). For tailgunners, I like everything except the skill that makes the AI target weaker planes first, but that's because I usually do the shooting manually

2) If you plan on grinding a particular aircraft line, I think it's worth sticking to one crew in particular. Retraining pilots and tailgunners here works a lot better than in WoT; just pay some silver to get them to 90% proficiency and the last 10% should come quickly (I wouldn't recommend using gold there to be honest :sceptic:). On top of that, planes of the same line usually play very similar to each other, so skills that are good on one of them will most likely work on the next one as well.

4) Fashion-aside, the concealment is very niche imo, and that's coming from a player that usually sneaks around a lot. Personally, I only got cosmetic camo on planes I love, but not the ones with +concealment.

6) Choosing a line really depends on your playstyle. I, for one, love my GAAs and don't really like much of anything else. Though I will give you a tip: never fly too close to a GAA aside of the Junkers, explosive ordnance can hit aerial targets too :B. Also, it is ill-advised to fight one head-on, same with heavy fighters.

Edited by LMG, 14 December 2017 - 06:19 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Mercsn #13 Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Welcome NL!

1)  Idk about WoT, haven't played it in years.  Here, crew skills are resettable with just silver, so if you have the silver, you can respect your crew anytime you like with no loss of proficiency.  The more skills you've unlocked the more expensive it gets.  When you pay the fee to reset, if gives back all your skill points, so you can do up a whole new spec for that crew...just for silver, no loss of pilot proficieny % or skill points.  Somebody linked the spreadsheet, but feel free to experiment, since you can reset it anytime.

2)  You can retrain your crew to 90% for silver...that means you only need 10k xp to get them to 100% after training them to 90% on a new craft.  With a daily double on the new plane, that's as few as 3-5-ish matches. for 100% crew after retraining for silver.  If you find a line you think you like, feel free to keep moving your pilot as you move up the line and if you find a craft you really enjoy, maybe leave him there so you know you have your good pilot in a fun plane that you can come back to for some enjoyment if you end up in some garbage matches.

3) I also always carry consumables.  I particularly enjoy the maneuvering consumable.  They can eat into credits though.  WoWP seems to have a much looser XP economy than credit economy, so if you find yourself short on credits, maybe ease up on the consumables (or use standard ammo instead of universal if you get a plane with lots of guns -ammo charged per gun).  They aren't really necessary with the respawn mechanic and with some maps having repairs (fly into the small circle with a wrech, at low-ish altitude).

4)  Looks only.  There is a "camo" bonus, but with the current game mode, it's practically useless, even for ground attack, imo.  In the old mode, you might want to be hard to spot if you were trying to sneak somewhere in a ground attack plane or stay alive at the end of a match to save a win with the other team hunting you.  In this game mode, that has happened exactly once in 450 battles and camo played no part in me hiding.  (also, having the sun at your back -if you can find it's "source"- or being in a cloud -if you can figure out where they are- will make you invisible, like bushes in the sky).

5) Not that I'm aware of. WoWP is pretty straight forward, with even aircraft loadout min/maxing pretty much removed.  Just point and shoot.  There's no pen values, etc.  While some craft do have heavier armor, standard ammo does damage if your in the ammos damage distance range.

6) The game's current meta is turn-fighting, and this is the easiest to learn.  Jump into furball and shoot at anything that gets in front of your guns while constantly maneuvering to avoid incoming fire (don't fixate on your target if you see or hear shots coming your way, evade immediately).

-The Japanese Zeros seem very effective for a lot of people who are good at keeping squishy planes alive and hitting with mis-matched weapon calibers.  I'm not good at either in that line, so I avoid them, YMMV.  And...this tree dead-ends into mult-role fighters at high tier that are nothing like the lower to mid tier craft.  These craft are slow, have a low altitude ceiling and mismatched caliber guns spaced out in the wings.  They are the best planes for a circling turn-fight as far as maneuvering goes, though.

-The Soviet Yak line (the turny ones, on the right side of the yak tree split) seem super fun, although lightly gunned and also with mis-matched weapons calibers, but all in the nose.

-My favorite is the La series.  It turns decently (but not as good as a zero, yak or spitfire), is somewhat faster, has a reasonable altitude ceiling and (what makes it my fav) it has good firepower all same caliber and all in the nose making it easier to hit and hit hard with the plane.

-The British Spitfire line is pretty insane with good maneuvering, decent speed and altitude cap, and 20mm that seem to crit waaay harder than they should (when I'm being shot by them).  Although, until higher tiers, those 20mm guns are also mismatched with mgs, so it can be difficult to hit with all of them.  The downside here is variety. You fly a spitfire from tier 5 until tier 9.  If you need variety, this might bore you.  If you like variety, but prefer a good plane in the game, no worries.

Some players are good with and prefer with wider spread of lots of wing guns (ie, spitfire, mustang, p47) while some (like me!) are better with using craft that have all the guns in the nose.  You'll have to play a bit to see what you like, but for the current game, I'd recommend Spitfire first (and you already have a crew trainer!) and then Yak 2nd and Zero 3rd (many would reverse the last 2, I'm just not good with the zeros, but they do turn on a dime).   If you can aim "derp" guns well, some planes have large caliber guns that do tremendous damage when they hit (had a friend called a hacker for 1 shotting a guy at half health), but are difficult to hit with and have very slow rates of fire.  The left side of the Yak tree split is good example of this and you can find others as you browse through the tech trees looking at weapon caliber.

Most of the matches are filled in by bots and the match spread is only 1 or 2 tiers (total tiers per match), so there's not a need to race up the tech trees to find advantage vs lower tier enemies.

Once you get the hand of flying and shooting and want to start winning more matches, there are some links in my sig (the 2.0 links) that may help you understand what's going on in the game mode with the different objectives.  It'll be a bit confusing at first.  This game is a bit different than wot.  Don't beat yourself about w/r.  Just stick to the basics of not using fighters for shooting at ground targets and killing humans or even player bots (look identical to human players) before defense bots (have a different tag and circle over zones) and you should have a good time.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Pogo68 #14 Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 13 December 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

Annoyed that the Hornet has a lower ceiling than the A-26.

Especially considering the Hornet's service ceiling was greater than the Me-410 and A-26.

Frankly most of the tier 5 and up light fighters should be able to dive on the A-26 as the real planes had higher service ceilings than the A-26.

Edited by Pogo68, 14 December 2017 - 11:28 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

mnbv_fockewulfe #15 Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

Captain

• 653 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I'm annoyed with the low service ceilings in general. It's like the don't want us to fly high at all.

mnbv_fockewulfe #16 Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:33 PM

Captain

• 653 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
One of Two things bmbs had irl: speed or gunners. If you were fast that was your defence. If you were slow, you had more powerful gunners. In the game, bmbs get both. Which is really unbalanced.

LMG #17 Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 14 December 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

One of Two things bmbs had irl: speed or gunners. If you were fast that was your defence. If you were slow, you had more powerful gunners. In the game, bmbs get both. Which is really unbalanced.

I guess that's why we only got a few to start with. That way WG can test the waters before they release a full tech tree (which can explain why we still can get them for free, and the recent bundle with all 3). That said, hopefully they do make a few changes and don't just keep everything as-is, at least at lower tiers. I recently got a Blenheim IV and have seen first-hand just how untouchable I can be. Experienced players might be able to catch up to me with the right planes, but I don't think those tiers are where experienced players tend to roam in. However, I still can't seem to do much on it, so I'll have to fly it a bit more and see if I have any real effect in the outcome of the battle aside of survivability :sceptic:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #18 Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2395 battles

View PostNL_Celt, on 13 December 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

So I have some basic questions.

More knowledgeable folks have already commented with some good advice, so I won't (tried anyways.... lol) put too much into this post.

1/2 - Folks can go through the low tier planes so fast (sometimes just a single battle each with a tier II & III) that until tier IV I usually don't find it worth trying to ''grow'' a single pilot.

Primarily this is because spending 100K silver to only require 10K XP is good but pilots may not actually ''reskill'' until a match or two before earning the next plane; for instance, I got through the tier IV Zero in just 9 battles.

I only had my pilot to 100% for the last two battles with the plane, but for the tier V it can easily take two dozen or so matches to unlock a tier VI, so five is where I'll usually put down the 100K silver to recruit a 90% pilot.

If you already have a pilot from that nationality they can fly any plane at 50% already, and sometimes 75% if proficient in the same ''type'' (IE multi-role); their skills are reduced but it isn't all that much of a difference.

However, while such a pilot can fly the plane they do not earn any XP by not being 100% proficient, even if the post-battle results show pilot experience was awarded.

Likewise, a 90% pilot can only earn that last 10K on that same plane; you can place them on a premium and get regular pilot experience but unlike Warships you cannot ever ''cheat'' on needing to reskill with that vehicle.

There is one big catch to pilots in Warplanes; even if you still have a pilot you're using on say a premium, IIRC you can't purchase crew skills unless you place that pilot on their 100% ''proficiency'' aircraft.

Once you hit the fifth skill point on a pilot the sixth IIRC hits 100K in cost; something you can do is accelerate that process by converting free XP to pilot XP, which costs nothing besides gold for the free XP conversion.

Unlike a premium, if I drop a 50 or 75% pilot onto an ''elite'' plane I kept (low-tier as I play mid-tier plus) but don't have a regular pilot for is when I'll leave it unlocked for earning regular XP versus pilot XP.

Folks mentioned the spreadsheet for skills/equipment, but there is also a nice video by Magus that explains what the skills in more detail, which are all still current from 1.9 to 2.0.

3 - On the multi-engine heavies I tend to use those consumables often awarded for the non-daily missions; automatic fire extinguisher & engine restarter.

For other planes I may only use a single consumable to compensate for the criticals the plane most often takes, such as control surface for Spitfires or engine restarter for the Fw190s.

I've found though most non-heavy planes get shot down or take too much damage too quickly once they take a critical hit to make consumables worth spending the silver, especially for aircraft like the Zero or Bf109.

Silver I think is more effectively spent on modules, planes, and ammunition.

4 - As others mentioned I may only do camo just for looks, but more often than not instead just buy paint on the nose along with some kind of fuselage emblem for a week or a month.

The only permanent (gold) nose art I've purchased was a shark mouth for the Tomahawk IIb & Mustang-K.

A trick to keeping camo cost down, if you do want what little concealment they offer, is to remember that in 2.0 certain tiers won't see certain types of maps so you may only need one or two kinds of camo if desired.

As for how the visibility mechanics function in-game, no idea if this blog post is still current or not.

5 - A friend I flight with has streamed some of his Warplanes activity; we obviously aren't the caliber of folks like Quesnel, Magus, or others who stream (and the information/griping may not be accurate) but we do okay.

Check it out here if you'd like.

6 - As others have talked about types, there is a thread I created and keep editing as I continue to play 2.0 that might provide some insight on how WG thinks the game should play out.

I will agree though that plane lines armed with .50 caliber machine-guns plus 20 or 23mm cannons are significantly easier to play and hit things with than aircraft with any 30/37mm (or larger) cannons.

And be sure to use universal ammo in your machine-guns or 20/23mm cannons when you can afford it.

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 14 December 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

I'm annoyed with the low service ceilings in general. It's like the don't want us to fly high at all.

Meanwhile, as a match progresses, the bots start coming in higher and higher until they're right up with the heavies and low-flying bombers - even at tier I & II.

Makes it a bit hard to play a Zero and accomplish anything.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 15 December 2017 - 03:02 AM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

Capture Points & You --- Graphic Settings Explored --- Grinding Tokens; Not so Daily Missions --- Ground Targets & Mission Types in 2.0 --- Equipment 2.0.5; Huh?

mnbv_fockewulfe #19 Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:06 AM

Captain

• 653 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostLMG, on 15 December 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

I guess that's why we only got a few to start with. That way WG can test the waters before they release a full tech tree (which can explain why we still can get them for free, and the recent bundle with all 3). That said, hopefully they do make a few changes and don't just keep everything as-is, at least at lower tiers. I recently got a Blenheim IV and have seen first-hand just how untouchable I can be. Experienced players might be able to catch up to me with the right planes, but I don't think those tiers are where experienced players tend to roam in. However, I still can't seem to do much on it, so I'll have to fly it a bit more and see if I have any real effect in the outcome of the battle aside of survivability :sceptic:

Dude, this gamemode was created for the sake of bombers and Persha isn't even sure how they'll affect the game?

You're the one that said it not me.

They've had two years to test bombers out. They've had all of 2017 to test bombers out. They had they're supertest (who I suspect are all yes-men), two closed tests, and an open public test. And Persha needed to test the waters at release before releasing a new line of the reason why we have two point oh?

Jaw drop .gif please...

If this doesn't strike you as complete and utter incompetence, how can you stand by you're original argument (bombers are imbalanced because Persha didn't know any better)?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users