What is the purpose of Combat Points, Aircraft Type Grade?

scoring combat points aircraft type grade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Combat Points, Aircraft Type, what are they for? (8 members have cast votes)

Who Should Have Won the Battle?

1. Blue Team (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. Red Team (1 vote [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Hanzle #1 Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

Senior Airman

• 3246 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

1212table.jpg

I have a seemingly simple question.  What is the purpose of Combat Points and Aircraft Type Grade?

We all jump out of battle and immediately access the Battle Results Table.  My experience has been, far too often, the Battle Results Table does not correspond with the Victory or Loss.  As an example, see the screenshot, please submit who SHOULD HAVE won the battle?

If Combat Points and Aircraft Type Grade do not support important criteria to Victory, back to original question, what are they for?

Wouldn't it be really frustrating if Combat Points and Aircraft Type Grade have nothing to do with Victories or Losses?  Is that where we are at???

Update -

Just to finish out the picture.  The blue team - on the left had 28% more combat pts then the red team (enemies).  Further, the blue humans had 163% more combat pts then red.  Blue humans had 6 grade bars to red's 2.  Blue lost the battle 810 to 411.  

Red team doubled blue teams score despite the numbers shared above.

So either there is a terrible bug, or you can win battles without combat points or grades.  Personally, I don't know why they would design a game this way.

Attached Thumbnails

Edited by Hanzle, 13 December 2017 - 11:59 PM.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2146 battles

Combat points = silver, an extra token per day at 14k.

Aircraft Type Grade = an extra token per day at maximum grade.

Think less on it and focus on battling...

Edited by pyantoryng, 13 December 2017 - 01:49 PM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4847 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Actually... I kinda like it this way. That way even on a loss, I walk away with something if I played well. There was a 14k CP haul I brought back in my A-5 on a loss. It was more than the top two players on the enemy team combined and, tbh, I felt it was satisfactory compensation for a game that was let down by idiot bots and equally dim players.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Hanzle #4 Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

Senior Airman

• 3246 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Py thanks for your opinion.  Spirit seems like your happy with earning credits regardless of win rate.

I think the question is more around what to focus on while battling.  Is it participation medals or wins?  If BP's and ATG do not substantially measure to wins, aren't they participation medals?

Do we play the game for participation medals or wins?

How do you win a battle without accumulating BPs and ATGs?

Edited by Hanzle, 13 December 2017 - 01:59 PM.

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4847 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostHanzle, on 13 December 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Py thanks for your opinion.

I think the question is more around what to focus on while battling.  Is it participation medals or wins?  If BP's and ATG do not substantially measure to wins, aren't they participation medals?

Do we play the game for participation medals or wins?

Focus on wins. Isn't that why we play?

cobra_marksman #6 Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7364 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 13 December 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Focus on wins. Isn't that why we play?

Tell that to players .....that go on their own,:B​  flying solo around a capped bases. They are trying to complete their defensive required Token mission. :izmena:You know the one that has you flying all day for a token, or should I say CARROT.:facepalm:

Edited by cobra_marksman, 13 December 2017 - 03:20 PM.

ARCNA442 #7 Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1907 battles

They do a decent job of showing who was actually trying to win and who was flying around doing pointless damage. I have some problems with how they were implemented but in general they were a good idea.

Also, you don't have any screenshots in your post.

FIight #8 Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 5069 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Some heavy fighters can have mediocre aircraft type grade, but they do kill a dozen and could influence the battle greatly

SpiritFoxMY #9 Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4847 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostHanzle, on 13 December 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Spirit seems like your happy with earning credits regardless of win rate.

How do you win a battle without accumulating BPs and ATGs?

Oh, I care about winning (win rate is a different matter), but earning a ton of silver and xp takes the sting out of a loss.

You can get very low CP and Mastery by not fighting in caps, chasing objectives around the map or doing things your plane wasn't "intended" to do.

One of the frustrations at higher tiers is GAA and Bomber hunting (for me at least). You spend so much time haring around the map, you don't rack up many points in damage and assault/defense scores yet left unchecked a good player in a GAA can easily flip caps and ninja a win. Bomber flights too as you don't get a lot of points shooting them down but they can flip caps easy. Both can be hard nuts to crack as well, so they eat into your score by being fairly mission critical yet not giving enough points by themselves to make up for time you waste on them that could have been spent on farming kills on fighters.

The flip side is one or two good pilots in light or mr fighters can rack up proverbial cricket scores by just sitting and defending a cap and basically doing nothing else to win the game. My 14k A-5 game was an eight minute last stand on our sole remaining cap. I did nothing but farm kills on the swarms of fighters coming at me for nearly half the duration of the match. Great for scores, not so great for winning. You'll find that some pilots like to do that regardless of the state of the match and it will frustrate the hell out of you 

Mercsn #10 Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:26 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

They are "pat yourself on the back" stats mostly.  Mastery is a better indicator of doing things that matter in a battle, which is a stat you have to dig through to find in your personal tab, after match, and there's no breakdown of what you earned the points for.

You can fill up your "chevrons meter" (TOTALLY USELESS, when considering what helps affect a win) or combat points (slightly less useless than the chevrons, but still a stupid metric), and lose because you can fill them up in one sector, farming bots and have the enemy team capping everything around you.

I don't worry about chevrons or combat points goals.  I just look at the map and the enemy team composition (players and bots and which aircraft) and do things based on that info.  I mean, earning good silver is great...but why do we keep score if we aren't here to win?

:playing:

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

hoom #11 Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9926 battles

I think I have a 20k battle that was still a loss.

I lost because I was tied down the whole battle destroying the endless trickle of enemy coming to that cap while the enemy team was able to capture the other points.

I've won battles from far behind in cap points by killing the enemy team. (& vice versa)

Both are OK, great when my team sneaks in a win :) but feelsbadman :( when the enemy gets it out of seemingly nowhere.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users