• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

MARS_REVENANT #41 Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3937 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 08 December 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

Lets put it this way. If I had as much GA play, Bomber play, and low tier play as you, I'd have a pretty nifty win rate. The system can be gamed for WR now, just like it could in 1.9. So, that's why I don't place emphasis on it. If we had all human teams, then skill would more or less equal WR. XP per battle, for now, is probably the best indicator of skill. When we get a bigger human population, then my opinion will change. 

We know what happens when you try games with 100% human populations. It's not pretty. 

So you think WR doesn't mean anything because games are mostly against bots... but you covet XP and damage which are also against bots... um... yeeeeeeeeeeeah.  And winning is easier at lower tiers (where there is a greater population of live players) than at high tiers where it is still 1v1, and 2v2.... LOL Okaaaaaaaaaay.

Anything else to justify your poor performance? WOW.

Better people will win more... period.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 08 December 2017 - 09:38 PM.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

General_Lee_Miserable #42 Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 08 December 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

So you think WR doesn't mean anything because games are mostly against bots... but you covet XP and damage which are also against bots... um... yeeeeeeeeeeeah.  And winning is easier at lower tiers (where there is a greater population of live players) than at high tiers where it is still 1v1, and 2v2.... LOL Okaaaaaaaaaay.

Anything else to justify your poor performance? WOW.

Better people will win more... period.

Its actually easier to win when there ARE more human players on your side. You can communicate, coordinate, and work more as a team. Please don't tell me you can't understand that? 

MARS_REVENANT #43 Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:09 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3937 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 08 December 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

Its actually easier to win when there ARE more human players on your side. You can communicate, coordinate, and work more as a team. Please don't tell me you can't understand that? 

OMG did I just read that?  There are the same number of human players on the other side... and humans, are smarter than bots... You did realize that right?

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

TornadoADV #44 Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 893 battles
Hey guys, let's dial this back to the P-80A instead of your pissing contest, mkay? :great:

Zergling #45 Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 710 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 08 December 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

Lets put it this way. If I had as much GA play, Bomber play, and low tier play as you, I'd have a pretty nifty win rate. The system can be gamed for WR now, just like it could in 1.9. So, that's why I don't place emphasis on it. If we had all human teams, then skill would more or less equal WR. XP per battle, for now, is probably the best indicator of skill. When we get a bigger human population, then my opinion will change. 

We know what happens when you try games with 100% human populations. It's not pretty. 

It is far easier to game stats like damage, kills and XP per battle than it is to game WR, so by your logic those stats are worth even less than WR.

If you think you can game to a 70% WR though, go ahead and prove it.

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 08 December 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

Some people believe it just does, winning has nothing to do with skill.  They have resolved to accept damage per battle and experience as participation trophies.

It's a textbook example of what people do when confronted with evidence that they aren't as good as they think they are; they'll claim different standards for success/failure.

Edited by Zergling, 09 December 2017 - 08:08 AM.

X01_ISAAC_7 #46 Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:16 AM

Master Sergeant

• 519 battles
Missed my chance to get this while it was in the premium shop. :( I thought it was a month-long deal, not just for a week and a half.

SpiritFoxMY #47 Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2783 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Same. Well, I'd be breaking the "don't buy anything above your level" if I'd gotten it. Will probably miss the Chain Lightning too. Still...

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

General_Lee_Miserable #48 Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

View PostZergling, on 09 December 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

It is far easier to game stats like damage, kills and XP per battle than it is to game WR, so by your logic those stats are worth even less than WR.

If you think you can game to a 70% WR though, go ahead and prove it.

It's a textbook example of what people do when confronted with evidence that they aren't as good as they think they are; they'll claim different standards for success/failure.

Oh geez... when I quit 1.9 a year ago, I was 80 on the NA server and climbing fast. That's when it took real skill to do well in the game and that is when we had quite a few great players that have since departed. So, yeah. nothing to prove here as far as being "good".  Go ahead and hang your hat on a WR based on low tier planes that act like they fly in pea soup compared to 1.9. 

Oh...and I did a little test. 7 battles. Tier 2 thru 6 meta turn and burners. i-15, i-16e, Bristol 146, Mig 3, Spit 1, Ki-61, German Spit. 6 Wins. 1 loss. Yes, you can certainly game WR flying the right planes in the right tiers.  Overnight jump in OA WR from 50 to 51.85. Oh, most of those battles I was completely sauced. I could continue to do that, also adding bombers and GA, which have a larger impact than a fighter does. So, yes, I could certainly game a 70%+ WR and it wouldn't be too difficult. There was a player named Donbe back in 1.9. He pretty much flew nothing but a T2 i-15, which is Russian bias OP. Literally, almost nothing but THAT plane all the time. Had something silly like a 90% OA WR. That alone is proof enough. 

No, I'm not going to go all balls out and try for a WR, that frankly I care nothing about, given the reasons I already stated over and over. #1 Flying low tiers sucks. #2 I am only playing to funnel XP into tanks and I can't make squat for XP playing low tier tech tree planes vs T8 premiums. 

FIight #49 Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:23 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 4145 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 09 December 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Oh geez... when I quit 1.9 a year ago, I was 80 on the NA server and climbing fast. That's when it took real skill to do well in the game and that is when we had quite a few great players that have since departed. So, yeah. nothing to prove here as far as being "good".  Go ahead and hang your hat on a WR based on low tier planes that act like they fly in pea soup compared to 1.9. 

Oh...and I did a little test. 7 battles. Tier 2 thru 6 meta turn and burners. i-15, i-16e, Bristol 146, Mig 3, Spit 1, Ki-61, German Spit. 6 Wins. 1 loss. Yes, you can certainly game WR flying the right planes in the right tiers.  Overnight jump in OA WR from 50 to 51.85. Oh, most of those battles I was completely sauced. I could continue to do that, also adding bombers and GA, which have a larger impact than a fighter does. So, yes, I could certainly game a 70%+ WR and it wouldn't be too difficult. There was a player named Donbe back in 1.9. He pretty much flew nothing but a T2 i-15, which is Russian bias OP. Literally, almost nothing but THAT plane all the time. Had something silly like a 90% OA WR. That alone is proof enough. 

No, I'm not going to go all balls out and try for a WR, that frankly I care nothing about, given the reasons I already stated over and over. #1 Flying low tiers sucks. #2 I am only playing to funnel XP into tanks and I can't make squat for XP playing low tier tech tree planes vs T8 premiums. 

I have to partially agree, if you say win rate cannot be farmed you are wrong;

there are people who only play tier 1-2 and have over 90% win rate, not difficult; not to say someone flights with me in t9-10 only lost one out of 10;

the game is unlike tanks in which the MM could really lower your win rate, most people don't understand how easily it is to win if you fly an OP plane--

the advantage of what you fly and what your teammates fly determine so much...

win rate and avg exp are both not accurate measures of personal skill, in old times K/D * average tier is pretty accurate in determining

personal skill: say someone farms t1 bots, and has a K/D ratio of over 20 but only an avg tier of 1, then his skill rating is no better than 30;

if another has a K/D ratio of 5 and avg tier of 9-10, then another player is definitely a better pilot.

It's all about statistics and different models for predicting your performance.

Edited by Einssniper, 09 December 2017 - 03:31 PM.

StoptheViolins #50 Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles
For me it's all about getting the next plane in the two branches I am running down.  I found the P-80 ok for dog fighting but since I am working on the derp Su-9 and the under gunned Yak-15 (which historically was a training bird anyways) I still prefer the 260 since when I am hot with the derp I do a lot better.

As folks have said the P-80's take a bit to wear down a target even with universal ammo.  But it's a good little fighter that takes moderate skill to do well in - you need to know what you are fighting.

mnbv_fockewulfe #51 Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

Captain

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

There are four kinds of people in this world:

Good pilots

Good players

Bad players

Good pilots do the best in the worst situations.

Good players are nice, helpful, and good sports.

Bad players "game" the meta to artificially look like good pilots. Is the same thing as a bad pilot because they block themselves from having any kind of disadvantage and don't know what to do in those situations.

Bad pilots are easy to shoot down.

In order of techniques that require more skill TnB<BnZ<TnB defence against BnZ<TnB offence against BnZ

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

MARS_REVENANT #52 Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3937 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 09 December 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Good pilots

Good players

Bad players

Good pilots do the best in the worst situations.

Good players are nice, helpful, and good sports.

Bad players "game" the meta to artificially look like good pilots. Is the same thing as a bad pilot because they block themselves from having any kind of disadvantage and don't know what to do in those situations.

In order of techniques that require more skill TnB<BnZ<TnB defence against BnZ<TnB offence against BnZ

So true... don't be bad pilots guys... don't be Nacys.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 10 December 2017 - 04:17 AM.

GouIdy #53 Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:23 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 09 December 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

So true... don't be bad pilots guys... don't be Nancy's

FTFY

Zergling #54 Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 710 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
/sigh I give up, not worth it

Edited by Zergling, 10 December 2017 - 07:22 AM.

General_Lee_Miserable #55 Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 09 December 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

FTFY

I'm pretty confident that, IRL, you guys are more likely to be mistaken for women than I ever will. :-) 

trikke #56 Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2276 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
please, folks...
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

General_Lee_Miserable #57 Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

View Posttrikke, on 10 December 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

please, folks...

Oh..this is tame compared to the 1.9 forum.  Most of those trolls are gone now. 

mnbv_fockewulfe #58 Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Captain

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 10 December 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Oh..this is tame compared to the 1.9 forum.  Most of those trolls are gone now. 

I miss 'em all. 

Porkins isn't even around anymore, and he was the guy who called it. 

Last night I got scared because I almost forgot dityboy's username.:ohmy: 

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #59 Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 09 December 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 09 December 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

So true... don't be bad pilots guys...

Too late for me I'm afraid; I get waaay too salty with this game in the chat; poor connection or not I think I've gotten about as good at this game as I'll ever get, which isn't actually all that good.

Sure, I can at times top out the scoreboard in 2.0 at most tiers even if other human players are in the match but it doesn't feel like I've done that well when compared to flying in the previous version.

As for the P80, yeah, I was surprised too that a ''monthly deal'' apparently only meant a week or less; fact of the matter is I had the $$$$ for either of the jets (P80 or TL) but changed my mind.

I have no use now or in the foreseeable future for token grinding, provided I could even complete the ''daily'' missions for them without a whole bunch of days spent ditching the impossible ones.

As for the tech tree VIIIs, the more I look through them the more I'm surprised and dismayed at how lackluster they all seem to the point where I cannot decide if any line is worth grinding up to an eight or nine.

Some do have decent speed or maneuver, but overall the altitude capability is questionable when I'm already having trouble with the mid-tier aircraft being able to climb up to the necessary heights.

Firepower-wise, either too many low RoF cannons that overheat too quickly or too many machine-guns when MG-only armed planes are already having trouble causing enough damage in the mid-tiers.

To be honest, quite a few if not most all of the tier VIII aircraft are in my opinion just paywalls so folks will grind free XP and/or convert XP off a premium/elite, plus purchase premium time, to get into a IX or X.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 11 December 2017 - 03:24 AM.

General_Lee_Miserable #60 Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 10 December 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

I miss 'em all. 

Porkins isn't even around anymore, and he was the guy who called it. 

Last night I got scared because I almost forgot dityboy's username.:ohmy: 

I was pretty sure Pork Roast would be back, since GA's are extremely relevant again. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users