Bomber aiming question

bomber

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Buchanan83 #1 Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

Airman Basic

• 307 battles
When using either the tier 6 or tier 8 bombers that drop multiple bombs at a time does the center of the aiming reticle generally indicate where the first bomb should hit or does it auto adjust so that the bombs drop before and after the center of the reticle? I think thats the best way I can explain my question.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:12 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

Don't think too much...just cover the target(s) in the bombing circle and let your dump bomb away.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

LMG #3 Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

I've only flown GAAs, but my best guess is that the bombs can land anywhere inside the circle, sort of like how frontal guns have a cone of fire. I've heard the more you move and the higher you go, the less accurate your bombs will be, causing them to hit further away from the center of the circle more often than not, so getting the Bomb Sight is recommended

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

MARS_REVENANT #4 Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
I generally aim accounting for the time it takes from the first bomb to the last bomb to drop.  So rather than dropping centre of sight to centre of target, I will drop early so the spread of bombs goes from front to back of the target.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Pogo68 #5 Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Follow the old USAAF procedure.

You'll notice that many of your targets are actually in a line.

Drop your first bomb early and your last bomb just after the last target, this will allow you to straddle the target and the bomb blasts will overlap.

Dropping your bombs at a slight diagonal that cuts across that line, guarantees that even if you are too far left or right, short or long, you'll still hit it.

Combine the two to get the best effects.

Since your using a bomber, boost to get out of the area after you drop your bombs.

Pay attention to the alignment of your next target.

Check your bomb re-spawn timer and when you get to the 2/3 mark, turn back and set up your next bomb run.

If you do this right, you should be able to set up the run so that you will not have to make too many adjustments during the last seconds prior to the next bomb drop.

Edited by Pogo68, 08 December 2017 - 05:11 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

hoom #6 Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Block Quote

Drop your first bomb early and your last bomb just after the last target

I think you missed the point: A-26B (& apparently the Soviet one too) drop 4 bombs per 'drop' button push, each stick hits in a line of fairly significant length..

The OP question is a good one regarding how the drop is linked to the aim-point, I'd like to know the answer.

Though its one I'd have thought should be fairly easy to check by watching where the bombs actually hit relative to where your aim was when released.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

cobra_marksman #7 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 678 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostBuchanan83, on 05 December 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

When using either the tier 6 or tier 8 bombers that drop multiple bombs at a time does the center of the aiming reticle generally indicate where the first bomb should hit or does it auto adjust so that the bombs drop before and after the center of the reticle? I think thats the best way I can explain my question.

The Biggest mistake you can make, would be performing a hard turn  to adjust bomb sight "On Target ", when bombing a target . This will cause the multi drops to scatter around target. Sometime you will miss the whole target that you were trying to bomb. Line -up your targets early, &  only do minor adjustments with your rudder. Ignore defensive fighters on your 6 ( don't let the distract you ), let tail gunner handle them & stay on target.  Rinse & Repeat.

Edited by cobra_marksman, 07 December 2017 - 02:08 PM.

hoom #8 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

pyantoryng #9 Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View Posthoom, on 07 December 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Hmm...did Porkins quitted?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Also tagged with bomber

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users