Is the A-26B Really a Bomber? Or a GAA in disguise?

A-26B invader bombers tree-top bombing ground attack not intended use

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: A-26B Invader (35 members have cast votes)

How do you fly your A-26B Invader?

1. I fly it as a high-altitude bomber, like what WG intended. (21 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. I fly it at low level like a ground attacker, not like what WG intended. (14 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Have you ever considered flying it the opposite way than your previous answer?

1. Yes. (26 votes [74.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.29%

2. No. (9 votes [25.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

HazeGrayUnderway #41 Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1513 battles

View PostMoggytwo, on 09 January 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

The bombs are fine, it's just important to know how many pickles you need to do on each target.  For example the larger hard targets normally take two pickles from an A-26, and the centre base of a mining plant takes three to reliably destroy in a pass.

I find the A-26 is definitely a better low level bomber than the 217, since it has half the bomb reload time (which makes it much more flexible) and is faster.  It also has the nose guns which are quite useful for shooting down enemy fighters.  The Ju88A is significantly worse than both the A-26 and 217, since it is slow, has very weak guns, short boost and fairly poor bombs with a long reload.  The A-26 is very easy to win with, you can get around the map very quickly and flip caps in less than a minute.  You should be flipping uncontested caps in two bomb loads.

German Bomber reload times are annoyingly long.  The quicker timers for A-26, RB-17 let them work caps much faster.

trikke #42 Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1501 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

the blennie is so much fun...  topped 10k for the first time yesterday, #1 on my team and a win

and i'm a horrible bomber

it's sure to get a quiet nerf in the next patch, sadly

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

legoboy0401 #43 Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View Posttrikke, on 12 January 2018 - 06:08 AM, said:

the blennie is so much fun...  topped 10k for the first time yesterday, #1 on my team and a win

and i'm a horrible bomber

it's sure to get a quiet nerf in the next patch, sadly

more like the German bombers need a small buff. They get better bomb loads, but it takes much longer for them to reload. Plus, that's nearly the only thing they've got going for them. They are very fragile, with weak defensive guns, and not particularly fast. In addition, their turrets lack coverage in a lot of areas.

Random Thoughts Of The Day:

World of Warplanes? More like World of Bots-that-are-designed-to-fail-so-you-lose-as-often-as-you-win.

Heavy Fighters? More like Obsolete Flying Bricks.

Attack Aircraft? More like Bomber-wannabes.

Moggytwo #44 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:09 AM

Senior Airman

• 931 battles

View PostOnyx, on 11 January 2018 - 03:25 AM, said:

The bombs are not fine when you can drop enough bombs to kill a ground target and they just randomly veer off course because the gods of RNG choose to and leave a target alive.  Bombers do not reset for passes fast enough for that kind of RNG to be tolerable, and it happens regularly with the A-26 and Ju 88A, but ironically not the Blennheim and RB-17.  Part of this is raw density, but most of it is having bombs with a large enough radius that you can actually drop them and confidently know that unless you get really screwed by RNG, the bombs will land on target as expected and drop the ground target.

50kg/100lb bombs flat out just don't have that reliability.  BTW, the Ju-88's bombs are functionally identical to the A-26.  You literally just praised the A-26 bombload at the same time as slamming the Ju 88's bomb load, despite the bombs literally being identical at 1200/50.

If they are veering off course then you're probably dropping from too high an altitude. Ideally a gentle dive and dropping from about 30m above the target should give a clustered grouping pretty close to your aiming point. 

As for the 88, the poor bit about the bombs isn't just the average damage/radius shared with the A-26, it's the reload which really impinges on how fast you can flip a cap. You can usually flip it in two bomb loads in the A-26, so less than a minute, but that takes an extra 15s in the 88 because the one extra pickle per load isn't enough to flip a cap on one load. If you need three loads due to poor aim or a contested cap going against you then the long reload really starts to hurt. 

hoom #45 Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:35 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3169 battles

Block Quote

If they are veering off course then you're probably dropping from too high an altitude.

In his previous post he said he's been running it at 1500m, its hardly high altitude.

I've actually been running it 1500m since that post too & liking it, feels pretty odd at first though. (anyone know the lowest the bombsight still works?)

Very surprisingly rare to get messed up, I guess partly because I've been mostly staying away from populated caps with it.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

LMG #46 Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

Thanks to a very generous gift, I've been giving this big guy a couple of battles. One thing that really surprised me is that the reargun deals about as much damage as most tier VII GAAs :amazed:. That paired with the six machine guns in the nose mean that this Bomber can actually defend itself :). On top of that, the bombs reload quickly :great:. It's like this single Bomber fixes every single thing I disliked about the German Bomber line (aside of the bombs still being RNG whether or not they land properly) :playing:. Because of the defensive capabilities, I've been doing what I'm calling mid-altitude bombing, hanging around my optimal altitude so I can make use of my speed to avoid Air Defense Aircraft and not have to deal with AA for long periods of time. Even when I do catch someone on my tail the reargun just tears them to pieces. I haven't been brave enough to go too low yet, as my first attempt of bombing around 1k meters I lost over half of my health in one second :ohmy:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #47 Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

Once I see an A26 being driven along the deck in a match, I know blue is probably facing a usually quite abrupt loss with a horrendous score differential.

At altitude, even with the 37mm, I expect to lose quite a chunk of health (or take quite a few critical hits) off the P-38J before (if) I manage to down a human piloted Invader.

With most of my other planes I've started avoiding player RB-17s entirely, along with trios of bot Me-265s or -329s (& the ILs up at tier VIII plus).

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 09 February 2018 - 08:43 AM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

FIight #48 Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

• 2712 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
geez I like to ram red planes and bomber flights in my RB-17, indeed it has hp comparable to t9 GA.

Edited by Einssniper, 09 February 2018 - 12:58 PM.

SpiritFoxMY #49 Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1336 battles
I don't have any particular fear of RB17s or A26s. Not anymore at least. Usually the decision to engage them has more to do with the opportunity cost of forcing myself up to altitude and across the map to hit them. 51K, 152, 262 all handle bombers with ease and only the 210 Batplane struggles against a good one. Either that or I've never engaged a good bomber player on the opposite side

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 09 February 2018 - 09:10 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

comtedumas #50 Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

• 3924 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostNoLove_NoNothing, on 02 December 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

So yeah, I've routinely started taking my A-26B down to near ground level, bombing without the bomb sight, flying it like a gunship, and being a general pain in the [edited].

Best game so far with it? This one:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The one death I had was due to a purposeful crash just before the squall line hit as enemy player attacks and low-altitude AA had chewed me down to under 300 health. Survival wasn't also just because there were quite a few bots, because both the players in the A6M5 and the F4U-1 came after me several times. This thing being faster than other actual GAA, better rear guns than other same-tier GAA, and 25sec bomb reload time lead me to believe that this will eventually be "fixed" by Wargaming through the implementation of some mechanic making it impossible for bombers to drop bombs below a certain altitude. You can drop bombs at tree-top level, but the bomb sight is useless AND at that height, you don't even get the white aiming circle to appear either.

This isn't just a random occurrence either. I've regularly gotten games with 8k points or more just by pulling these shenanigans. Granted some games I do get focused and shot down more often, but running an almost full-tank set up (running rear gun stabilizers instead of added armor plates, though i may switch this cause the A-26 seems to have rather glass-like tail and wings), it's rather hard to knock out of the sky without either getting shot down by the tail guns, or seriously mauled by them in the process.

Still working on that Bombardier medal against GAA though. However given the small size of its bombs (only 100lbs), it's gonna take an Act of Congress and the will of God to get that to happen, and I'm not so sure about the Act of Congress.

Modules:
Reinforced Airframe II
Improved Covering II

Rear Gun Stabilization II

Crew skills:

Pilot - Demolition Expert, Protection Expert (next on the list is Battle-tested)
Gunner - Armorer (next on the list is Ballistics Expert, followed by Precision Gunner)

WG doesn't nerf premiums.  

IronWolfV #51 Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 271 battles

View Postcomtedumas, on 13 February 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Super Perishing and Type 59 say hello.

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Hiro_Yoshi #52 Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

Senior Airman

• 950 battles

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 07 December 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

There is a fun thing to do with A-26 is to pick off other A-26 bombers.  You're already flying at a similar altitude.  If you're lucky you get to dive on them from higher altitude.

I started doing the same with Tier III Blenheim IVe, but gun power sucks and have to rely on the turret.  Thankfully the turret is 360, so I fly underneath another Blenheim and let the turret go to work.  Yes, it takes forever, but it disrupts the other bomber from freely doing whatever the hell it wants

Haven't tried bomber vs bomber with RB-17 yet, but it seems limiting.  Forward gun is pathetic and the turret is only rearward facing.  Looks more like a "fart in the other guy's direction" kind of fight but the opponent can separate real quick.

​The A-26 excels at shooting down other bombers within its matchmaking. You can even drive away or outright kill some of the more sluggish heavy fighters.

Hiro_Yoshi #53 Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:35 PM

Senior Airman

• 950 battles

View Postcomtedumas, on 13 February 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

​Oh yes they do.

LMG #54 Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

View PostHiro_Yoshi, on 14 February 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

​The A-26 excels at shooting down other bombers within its matchmaking. You can even drive away or outright kill some of the more sluggish heavy fighters.

Actually, I had an odd case the other day. A heavy went up to intercept me and shot out my tail and one wing. After this I kept him in a bit of a zig-zag dance while my aircraft slowed down due to the damage. He ended up overshooting and broke off to hit another plane, which I used to my advantage to do a split-s and get on his tail, shooting him down. Nothing like doing some fancy-flying on a bomber of all things :teethhappy:

hoom #55 Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3169 battles

Block Quote

I don't have any particular fear of RB17s or A26s. Not anymore at least. Usually the decision to engage them has more to do with the opportunity cost of forcing myself up to altitude and across the map to hit them. 51K, 152, 262 all handle bombers with ease and only the 210 Batplane struggles against a good one. Either that or I've never engaged a good bomber player on the opposite side

Well try going after an A26B in a Yak-1 and tell me you don't fear it :sceptic:

Its all well & good saying they're easy to kill with planes that easily attain the height & have huge DPS, its something else in a plane that has difficulty reaching the height and who have to sit in range of the A26B tail gunner for significant time before actually getting in range.

I really love my I-220 which easily reaches the height, easily out-paces A26B & has 4* 700m range 20mm but it doesn't mean A26B is a weak plane.

Edited by hoom, 22 February 2018 - 04:49 AM.

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #56 Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

I've discovered with my La-160 to avoid AA, bombers, and GAA whenever possible; the plane is a lot more fragile than its health pool would suggest.

It has the gun firepower with the 37mms, and enough speed to close the low range save at very high altitudes, but cannot handle much any return fire.

I can see where bombers might've been a good idea on paper to attract a wider audience, but in practice they seem more like an inclusion that allows folks a playstyle in large part at the expense of those not in one.

Attack aircraft with good pilots are incredibly annoying, and too dominant in high tiers even when not in flights, but at the same time are subject to most of the risk & limitations imposed on everyone else flying in that match.

Once more bombers get introduced, in particular heavy types, how will a match work with even half of the current human players per team in planes often untouchable by the remaining aircraft; World of Bombers?

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

LMG #57 Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

View PostSoylent_Red_Isnt_People, on 16 February 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

I've discovered with my La-160 to avoid AA, bombers, and GAA whenever possible; the plane is a lot more fragile than its health pool would suggest.

It has the gun firepower with the 37mms, and enough speed to close the low range save at very high altitudes, but cannot handle much any return fire.

I can see where bombers might've been a good idea on paper to attract a wider audience, but in practice they seem more like an inclusion that allows folks a playstyle in large part at the expense of those not in one.

Attack aircraft with good pilots are incredibly annoying, and too dominant in high tiers even when not in flights, but at the same time are subject to most of the risk & limitations imposed on everyone else flying in that match.

Once more bombers get introduced, in particular heavy types, how will a match work with even half of the current human players per team in planes often untouchable by the remaining aircraft; World of Bombers?

I'm guessing that's where high-altitude aircraft come into play to bring the fight back up into the sky. I think I mentioned it some time ago, but I think that GAAs are supposed to bring the fight down low, while bombers are supposed to take it up into "space", effectively giving everyone something to shoot at where they perform best. Besides, personally I haven't found Bombers to be game-breakingly effective yet. Even when I do good on my A-26B I don't feel like I'm outperforming a good GAA player

Landsraad #58 Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 254 battles
  • [5PANZ] 5PANZ

Okay, I know this thread is a bit old and I don't actually own an A-26, buuuut...

It's got an "A" in the name, as in "Attack". Of course it's a beast of a ground attacker, that's what it's made for! WG just decided to slap a bomber logo on it because of its bomb payload.

hoom #59 Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3169 battles

Very true.

I was experimenting going under 1500m to see if I can get better speed, found out the hard way that ~1000m is a very bad height to run it at: you get shot by both light and heavy AA :hiding:

comtedumas #60 Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

• 3924 battles
  • [FK] FK
For the Do-335 mission 12, it’s a bomber hunter.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users