Is the A-26B Really a Bomber? Or a GAA in disguise?

A-26B invader bombers tree-top bombing ground attack not intended use

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: A-26B Invader (35 members have cast votes)

How do you fly your A-26B Invader?

1. I fly it as a high-altitude bomber, like what WG intended. (21 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. I fly it at low level like a ground attacker, not like what WG intended. (14 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Have you ever considered flying it the opposite way than your previous answer?

1. Yes. (26 votes [74.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.29%

2. No. (9 votes [25.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

hoom #61 Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:19 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3836 battles

So I've seen some people complain about A-26B being slow down on the deck, like only doing ~350km/h, have experienced similar myself when I tried the low level stuff.

Is the low altitude performance bugged? At higher altitude it seems to cruise at a more useful ~450km/h, boosting up easily over 550.

The other day I was out in my Il-10 & ran into an enemy A-26B doing the ground hugging thing, and he was going slow as -> I was able to kill him. Twice. In tailchase :child:

Its possible I got early engine crits both times but I really shouldn't have been able to hang with that thing.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

LMG #62 Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1868 battles

View Posthoom, on 18 March 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

So I've seen some people complain about A-26B being slow down on the deck, like only doing ~350km/h, have experienced similar myself when I tried the low level stuff.

Is the low altitude performance bugged? At higher altitude it seems to cruise at a more useful ~450km/h, boosting up easily over 550.

The other day I was out in my Il-10 & ran into an enemy A-26B doing the ground hugging thing, and he was going slow as -> I was able to kill him. Twice. In tailchase :child:

Its possible I got early engine crits both times but I really shouldn't have been able to hang with that thing.

The IL-10 travels pretty fast all things considered, 530 km/h with full ordnance. And yes, the A-26B loses an engine whenever it gets shot from my experience :ohmy:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

hoom #63 Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3836 battles
True. I hit 550 with a bit of a dive but it does take a while to get up to speed & I'd still expect an A-26B to be able to get away from me.

ExploratorOne #64 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:32 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1643 battles
  • [LOU1] LOU1

You use boost over/near targets to get around the 500 range.  I almost always am under 150m - 200m.  Interestingly, the top scorer on the personal points is a low-level A26 driver.  I was actually in the top 10 most of the weekend with mine, but decided to just finish my XF15C grind with certs I had.  My job was to keep the multiplier up and i was usually successful at it.

As far as getting attacked, I sometimes had to slow down a bit to let the attacker get in my gun range to take them down.  Really disliked cannon loaded heavies hanging on my tail, though. When there are no ground targets, it is fun to do a bit of dogfighting - really throws the enemy off.  And, yes, it does take learning timing for different heights and speeds.  This is made more difficult due to the barometric altimeter.  Except on the sea-based maps, your indicated altitude is not relative to the ground.

Blenheim IV is actually more accurate with the single, bigger bomb per salvo for me down low than the A26B, but it is slower.  Faster bomb reload, but very poor armor and armament.  Can be fun to fly down low with my joystick.  Here's some dancing around buildings to avoid attackers (near the end) from my early bomber flying days a couple of months ago.  i fly the A-26B the same way, but her nose guns let me go on the offensive, her armor stands up better, and the rear gun shreds a lot faster:

Edited by ExploratorOne, 10 April 2018 - 02:52 AM.

hoom #65 Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:43 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3836 battles
I have no accuracy issues with Blenheim up to about 2750m or so, about 3000m you get only partial damage hits fairly often but still plenty of 1-shot target kills on medium targets so I don't see any great reason to drop down into easy range of fighters like that

hoom #66 Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3836 battles

So I have actually tried running the Blenheim down low a bit since that post.

It is handy for early Plant cap on certain maps.

And I haven't been trashed hard by planes like I'd expected.

But the accuracy feels less good than at height, I think the aim circle is significantly larger down low than up high which is kinda odd.

Edit: also I'm doing much better with the A-26B these days, has become one of the planes I look forward to when running through dailies

eg today

Edited by hoom, 14 April 2018 - 02:52 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users