Is the A-26B Really a Bomber? Or a GAA in disguise?

A-26B invader bombers tree-top bombing ground attack not intended use

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: A-26B Invader (26 members have cast votes)

How do you fly your A-26B Invader?

1. I fly it as a high-altitude bomber, like what WG intended. (17 votes [65.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.38%

2. I fly it at low level like a ground attacker, not like what WG intended. (9 votes [34.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

Have you ever considered flying it the opposite way than your previous answer?

1. Yes. (20 votes [76.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

2. No. (6 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

HazeGrayUnderway #41 Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1513 battles

View PostMoggytwo, on 09 January 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

The bombs are fine, it's just important to know how many pickles you need to do on each target.  For example the larger hard targets normally take two pickles from an A-26, and the centre base of a mining plant takes three to reliably destroy in a pass.

I find the A-26 is definitely a better low level bomber than the 217, since it has half the bomb reload time (which makes it much more flexible) and is faster.  It also has the nose guns which are quite useful for shooting down enemy fighters.  The Ju88A is significantly worse than both the A-26 and 217, since it is slow, has very weak guns, short boost and fairly poor bombs with a long reload.  The A-26 is very easy to win with, you can get around the map very quickly and flip caps in less than a minute.  You should be flipping uncontested caps in two bomb loads.

German Bomber reload times are annoyingly long.  The quicker timers for A-26, RB-17 let them work caps much faster.

trikke #42 Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 847 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

the blennie is so much fun...  topped 10k for the first time yesterday, #1 on my team and a win

and i'm a horrible bomber

it's sure to get a quiet nerf in the next patch, sadly

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

legoboy0401 #43 Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 325 battles

View Posttrikke, on 12 January 2018 - 06:08 AM, said:

the blennie is so much fun...  topped 10k for the first time yesterday, #1 on my team and a win

and i'm a horrible bomber

it's sure to get a quiet nerf in the next patch, sadly

more like the German bombers need a small buff. They get better bomb loads, but it takes much longer for them to reload. Plus, that's nearly the only thing they've got going for them. They are very fragile, with weak defensive guns, and not particularly fast. In addition, their turrets lack coverage in a lot of areas.

Random Thoughts Of The Day:

World of Warplanes? More like World of Bots-that-are-designed-to-fail-so-you-lose-as-often-as-you-win.

Heavy Fighters? More like Obsolete Flying Bricks.

Attack Aircraft? More like Bomber-wannabes.

Moggytwo #44 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:09 AM

Senior Airman

• 852 battles

View PostOnyx, on 11 January 2018 - 03:25 AM, said:

The bombs are not fine when you can drop enough bombs to kill a ground target and they just randomly veer off course because the gods of RNG choose to and leave a target alive.  Bombers do not reset for passes fast enough for that kind of RNG to be tolerable, and it happens regularly with the A-26 and Ju 88A, but ironically not the Blennheim and RB-17.  Part of this is raw density, but most of it is having bombs with a large enough radius that you can actually drop them and confidently know that unless you get really screwed by RNG, the bombs will land on target as expected and drop the ground target.

50kg/100lb bombs flat out just don't have that reliability.  BTW, the Ju-88's bombs are functionally identical to the A-26.  You literally just praised the A-26 bombload at the same time as slamming the Ju 88's bomb load, despite the bombs literally being identical at 1200/50.

If they are veering off course then you're probably dropping from too high an altitude. Ideally a gentle dive and dropping from about 30m above the target should give a clustered grouping pretty close to your aiming point. 

As for the 88, the poor bit about the bombs isn't just the average damage/radius shared with the A-26, it's the reload which really impinges on how fast you can flip a cap. You can usually flip it in two bomb loads in the A-26, so less than a minute, but that takes an extra 15s in the 88 because the one extra pickle per load isn't enough to flip a cap on one load. If you need three loads due to poor aim or a contested cap going against you then the long reload really starts to hurt. 

hoom #45 Posted Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2190 battles

Block Quote

If they are veering off course then you're probably dropping from too high an altitude.

In his previous post he said he's been running it at 1500m, its hardly high altitude.

I've actually been running it 1500m since that post too & liking it, feels pretty odd at first though. (anyone know the lowest the bombsight still works?)

Very surprisingly rare to get messed up, I guess partly because I've been mostly staying away from populated caps with it.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users