Is the A-26B Really a Bomber? Or a GAA in disguise?

A-26B invader bombers tree-top bombing ground attack not intended use

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: A-26B Invader (26 members have cast votes)

How do you fly your A-26B Invader?

1. I fly it as a high-altitude bomber, like what WG intended. (17 votes [65.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.38%

2. I fly it at low level like a ground attacker, not like what WG intended. (9 votes [34.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

Have you ever considered flying it the opposite way than your previous answer?

1. Yes. (20 votes [76.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

2. No. (6 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

NoLove_NoNothing #1 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:27 AM

Master Sergeant

• 506 battles

So yeah, I've routinely started taking my A-26B down to near ground level, bombing without the bomb sight, flying it like a gunship, and being a general pain in the [edited].

Best game so far with it? This one:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The one death I had was due to a purposeful crash just before the squall line hit as enemy player attacks and low-altitude AA had chewed me down to under 300 health. Survival wasn't also just because there were quite a few bots, because both the players in the A6M5 and the F4U-1 came after me several times. This thing being faster than other actual GAA, better rear guns than other same-tier GAA, and 25sec bomb reload time lead me to believe that this will eventually be "fixed" by Wargaming through the implementation of some mechanic making it impossible for bombers to drop bombs below a certain altitude. You can drop bombs at tree-top level, but the bomb sight is useless AND at that height, you don't even get the white aiming circle to appear either.

This isn't just a random occurrence either. I've regularly gotten games with 8k points or more just by pulling these shenanigans. Granted some games I do get focused and shot down more often, but running an almost full-tank set up (running rear gun stabilizers instead of added armor plates, though i may switch this cause the A-26 seems to have rather glass-like tail and wings), it's rather hard to knock out of the sky without either getting shot down by the tail guns, or seriously mauled by them in the process.

Still working on that Bombardier medal against GAA though. However given the small size of its bombs (only 100lbs), it's gonna take an Act of Congress and the will of God to get that to happen, and I'm not so sure about the Act of Congress.

Modules:
Reinforced Airframe II
Improved Covering II

Rear Gun Stabilization II

Crew skills:

Pilot - Demolition Expert, Protection Expert (next on the list is Battle-tested)
Gunner - Armorer (next on the list is Ballistics Expert, followed by Precision Gunner)

Edited by SaintCelestine_WH40K, 03 December 2017 - 12:51 AM.

CamuMahubah #2 Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1100 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS

Somebody get this man an a Chuck Norris trophy.  This is legendary.

"This isn't just a random occurrence either. I've regularly gotten games with 8k points or more just by pulling these shenanigans."-SaintCelestine 2017

I would love a video.

Hats off to the OP for having a pair instead of hiding at 3000m. I mean I realize that is what bombers do and that is the smart thing to do...but what taking the flying dragon to town and burning all the houses down is mighty darn awesome in my book.

;)

NoLove_NoNothing #3 Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:06 AM

Master Sergeant

• 506 battles
Just finished another game in less than 5 minutes. 145 cap points recd, 49 sections of GTs destroyed, 3 captured sectors (Scorching Sands - Desert Wind (2 rocket bases, 1 central garrison)), 28k damage to ground targets, 746 damage to aerial targets, 7830 combat points, 890 mastery points, 2 plane kills.

Final score: 402 to 36

Seriously, this thing is stupidly broken at low-altitude ground attacking.

CamuMahubah #4 Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1100 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS

Well I seriously doubt a Nerf is gonna be quick because this is the prize package in the shop right now.  So enjoy and make some videos for posterity.

I'm almost tempted to buy it but I need other things this Christmas.  

P.S.- One way to tell if it is over powered or just the pilot is to release the dragon by asking all Blenheim bomber owners to give it a go and report back.  Some will lie and say it is a terrible GAA with a terrible evil smile in their lips as they pwn noobs.

NoLove_NoNothing #5 Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:53 AM

Master Sergeant

• 506 battles
Don't have any video capture software, but I will see about doing a live-stream on YouTube for a couple of games.

rb1951 #6 Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:15 AM

Master Sergeant

• 115 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Download the free version of bandicam and you can record your flights

Einssniper #7 Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1457 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

A-26B is still very capable in getting super high and burning entire sector with ease;

I usually camp high when some heavy fighters chase me, I use rear gunners to deplete

his hp; after that, I head on with him and tear him into pieces with my 6 .50 cal;

don't know why it's intended to use as a 'low altitude bomber', I can still have an

average of 48K damage to ground targets even 'camping at high'.

NoLove_NoNothing #8 Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:28 AM

Master Sergeant

• 506 battles

So, I downloaded Xsplit Gamecaster. Did my very first live-stream that was recorded to YouTube. First game wasn't much to look at. Nervous as crapabout finally recording/streaming. Second match was closer to my average but still a little low. Third and final match I recorded was more along the norms. I'm rather shy and speaking on my mic over my headset, I'm rather quiet. But I admit that during the 3rd game, I was having a lot more fun with the game (and more fun in general) and having a lot less anger at crapthat happened. It's surprising how much having a hot-mic does for your mood and your temperament when others will be able to see it. Also started to hit my stride again and came away with a little over 9k points.

Sorry for the poor video quality at the start. Was having issues with the stream loading and rendering properly on my second monitor. Also suffering from a cold right now, so the clicks where the microphone cuts out and back in, that's me cutting the mic during a coughing fit. Also, the free version of Xsplit only allows up to 720p HD, if i want to do 1080p then I will have to pay for it. Also definitely gonna have to look at upgrading my gaming PC with a second graphics card.

1st game starts at 1:18
2nd game starts at 10:47

3rd game starts at 23:01

And the "Notser" moment happens at 15:10. :P

CamuMahubah #9 Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1100 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS
Very very cool.  I will likely never acquire a bomber but this is how I would fly it if I did have one in the hangar.

hawkeyededic #10 Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 429 battles

View PostSaintCelestine_WH40K, on 02 December 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

Don't have any video capture software, but I will see about doing a live-stream on YouTube for a couple of games.

If your running a newer Radeon card you can enable ReLive and record your battles as you play them, it's included as part of the software package for the card. I thing Nvidia also has something along those line but not sure.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

HazeGrayUnderway #11 Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1513 battles

Been flying A-26 low and high, sometimes both in the same match.  Both viable but it's a lot more risky down low.  You are open to far more attacks than you would flying at 3k+ meters.  At higher altitudes only very uncommon player heavy fighters and very specific high altitude light fighters can get to you.  Planes like Me 410 can and will get to you if they're player flown. My RB-17 can get picked off by Me 262 and J8M. But not many fly them.  Down low, EVERYTHING is a threat.  There are times, especially late night, that heavy fighters are not in existence at all and up high, you're untouchable.

The fun thing with low altitude A-26 is it's the polar opposite of the other RU & DE GA lines.

RU packs a balance of guns / cannons, ordnance.

DE packs an emphasis on cannons / guns.

Both take a while in reloading their ordnance.

A-26 is different.  You have 6 .50 cals up front but IMO that is too light for real GA work.  What A-26 does pack is very fast reloading bombs.  It's real fun but it's dangerous.  Down low, it's harder to make use of the aim reticle that you normally have an easier time to use in other planes for bomb attacks.  You have to eyeball it with A-26.  But down low, planes intercepting you have their full range of speed, maneuvering to use against you, options they really lack compared to you flying at high altitude and their engines sputter.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 04 December 2017 - 03:19 AM.

HazeGrayUnderway #12 Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1513 battles

Well, gave it a try with low altitude, mid altitude bombing.  F--k that.  It is fun but you'll get run down and shot apart.  You're too slow, too cumbersome.  Your long Engine Boost isn't enough as you're still too slow.

Now, you COULD do a sort of fast bombing run at low and mid altitude which is a tad bit safer, but your time on target is s--t and you'll be trying to get away from the pursuit.  So with such minimal time on target and then total focus of, "I need to get away from these fighters" the damage you do is pitiful on ground targets.

Everything will catch you and you're clumsier than a GA.  Those rear guns are not enough against the fighters, heavy fighters, multi roles that WILL get behind you and have all the full range of movement and speed to use against you, and easy application of firepower against you.  You can't get away.

Sorry, but it's high altitude for even A-26 for me.  I feel safer in an IL-2 with no rear gunner doing GA than I do in a low level A-26.  In high altitude bombing, heavy fighters and high altitude rating light fighters are dangerous to you.  At low altitude, everything will easily take you out and you barely do anything on the ground.  In high altitude, you will have much, MUCH more time on target to deal damage.  If you spot someone trying to come for you, you can try to escape with a more realistic chance at high altitude than at low, mid levels.  At high altitude, your rear guns are more dangerous as planes struggle to perform at your height.  Something like a Me 410 coming for you at high alt is still very dangerous but your chances of coming out of it alive are FAR better at that height than at lower levels.  You'll get eaten up.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 04 December 2017 - 03:45 AM.

NoLove_NoNothing #13 Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

Master Sergeant

• 506 battles

View Posthawkeyededic, on 03 December 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

If your running a newer Radeon card you can enable ReLive and record your battles as you play them, it's included as part of the software package for the card. I thing Nvidia also has something along those line but not sure.

I have a Radeon card, and the original software did come with some sort of video-capture program, but I built this rig 2 years ago, and at the time didn't know wthit was and had no interest in recording or live streaming so I uninstalled the program. I'll have to see about finding the install CD and putting it back on my computer. My initial foray into live streaming and upload to YouTube was pretty fun, and I've started working on a "Hangar Review" of the A-26B Invader, kind of like what The Mighty Jingles has done for years with Garage Reviews of tanks in World of Tanks. Being on mandatory 6 days, 10 hour shifts at my work place for the whole month though is making it slow-going. And tonight i've had bad connection due to high winds where I live. Wasn't able to get much done on the recording cause I kept losing connection and had to restart.

It's okay though, learning as I go. Hopefully I'll have it done and uploaded soon ™. When I do, I'll be sure to post a link to it here on the forums and in the two threads I've made so far about the High-Alt vs. Low-Alt play styles for the plane.

poppavein #14 Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 802 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View Posthawkeyededic, on 03 December 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Nvidia does also and can be accessed through GeForce Experience.

SgtRock52 #15 Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:03 AM

Airman Basic

• 1018 battles
  • [BTB] BTB
Nice vid, gonna give it a whirl today.

HazeGrayUnderway #16 Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1513 battles

There is a fun thing to do with A-26 is to pick off other A-26 bombers.  You're already flying at a similar altitude.  If you're lucky you get to dive on them from higher altitude.

I started doing the same with Tier III Blenheim IVe, but gun power sucks and have to rely on the turret.  Thankfully the turret is 360, so I fly underneath another Blenheim and let the turret go to work.  Yes, it takes forever, but it disrupts the other bomber from freely doing whatever the hell it wants

Haven't tried bomber vs bomber with RB-17 yet, but it seems limiting.  Forward gun is pathetic and the turret is only rearward facing.  Looks more like a "fart in the other guy's direction" kind of fight but the opponent can separate real quick.

trikke #17 Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 839 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i've never even considered high alt bombing in my a-26

but i do love chasing down other a-26s actually trying to bomb something

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

ComradeZ #18 Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

Senior Airman

• 1021 battles
  • [T-S-I] T-S-I

View PostNoLove_NoNothing, on 03 December 2017 - 12:27 AM, said:

So yeah, I've routinely started taking my A-26B down to near ground level, bombing without the bomb sight, flying it like a gunship, and being a general pain in the [edited].

Best game so far with it? This one:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The one death I had was due to a purposeful crash just before the squall line hit as enemy player attacks and low-altitude AA had chewed me down to under 300 health. Survival wasn't also just because there were quite a few bots, because both the players in the A6M5 and the F4U-1 came after me several times. This thing being faster than other actual GAA, better rear guns than other same-tier GAA, and 25sec bomb reload time lead me to believe that this will eventually be "fixed" by Wargaming through the implementation of some mechanic making it impossible for bombers to drop bombs below a certain altitude. You can drop bombs at tree-top level, but the bomb sight is useless AND at that height, you don't even get the white aiming circle to appear either.

This isn't just a random occurrence either. I've regularly gotten games with 8k points or more just by pulling these shenanigans. Granted some games I do get focused and shot down more often, but running an almost full-tank set up (running rear gun stabilizers instead of added armor plates, though i may switch this cause the A-26 seems to have rather glass-like tail and wings), it's rather hard to knock out of the sky without either getting shot down by the tail guns, or seriously mauled by them in the process.

Still working on that Bombardier medal against GAA though. However given the small size of its bombs (only 100lbs), it's gonna take an Act of Congress and the will of God to get that to happen, and I'm not so sure about the Act of Congress.

Modules:
Reinforced Airframe II
Improved Covering II

Rear Gun Stabilization II

Crew skills:

Pilot - Demolition Expert, Protection Expert (next on the list is Battle-tested)
Gunner - Armorer (next on the list is Ballistics Expert, followed by Precision Gunner)

You need to do more reviews of bombers. Thanks fro the info. I got my A-26b tonight!

Moggytwo #19 Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:12 AM

Senior Airman

• 843 battles

I generally bomb at an altitude of about 50m in the A-26.  Once you work out the release point it is incredibly effective.  You are faster on to every cap than if you are high or medium altitude bombing, and you are incredibly effective at flipping caps quickly at this altitude.  Since you are down with the light fighters and multi-roles you can often shoot a few of them down a battle as you go through the cap at tree top height, this helps flip the cap as well, and is hilariously satisfying to do in a bomber.  I average about one death per battle despite being down amongst all the action.  You do have to build your aircraft to tank damage though.

The main problem with this is that you often win by capping all the bases and finishing the game in 5 mins or so, which limits the points you can get per battle.  When you have a close battle though, you get very consistently high combat points.  The ability to solo carry a battle is unmatched with any other aircraft that I have played.

Flying the A-26 this way is, quite frankly, overpowered.

hoom #20 Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:36 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2164 battles

So I've just got this today.

Its a very different thing than the Blenheim IV.

Really beautiful plane, flies remarkably lively, much more than I'd expected.

Played a few matches not feeling particularly effective, partly because of stock pilots.

Wound up boosting them to 2pts to get that DE & Quick Reflexes which helped.

First time out I was all height, up over 3.2km & yet still got shredded by an Me 410 before I realised what was going on & was still taking damage from flak over 3.5km.

Other battles I've not tried for such extreme height & frankly seem to do better primarily chasing/killing the enemy Bombers plus the odd Heavy that gets in the way.

Did try a bit of low level but didn't feel extremely effective, maybe works better when you get empty caps, I ran into a bunch of enemy down low.

Bombs do feel decently effective but you do have to pretty carefully line up the runs.

You can't just dump the whole load on a single target like with the Blenheim.

The good turning does help it adjust a run quicker than Blenheim though.

So how high do you guys go if you're running High mode?

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users