are you having intermittent high pings?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

trikke #1 Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

Captain

• 3633 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

What is PingPlotter? How do I use PingPlotter?

What is PingPlotter?

It is a tool to help you determine if your connection speed is the root of your issue.

To find out if you are having connectivity issues, i recommend using PingPlotter.

PingPlotter helps you pinpoint where the problems are in an intuitive graphical way, and to continue monitoring your connection long-term to further identify issues.

PingPlotter is a network troubleshooting and diagnostic tool. It uses a combination of traceroute, ping, and whois to collect data quickly, and then allows you to continue to collect data over time.

The Pingplotter report shows where your information is being sent through the internet (via ICMP packets), and what is happening along the way. Each 'hop" (numbered on the left hand side) represents a location your data is traveling through. The first few hops are local, hop #1 normally being your router or modem. The middle hops are normally your ISP and transfer locations, and the last few hops are your destination, in this case our servers. Packet loss is an indication of information being lost along the way. 100% packet loss is an information stoppage. 100% packet loss on the first, second, or third hop is normally an indication of a firewall, antivirus program or router blocking internet access. Partial packet loss midway through the hops is normally an ISP issue, and may require contacting an ISP.

How do I use PingPlotter?

1. Close all open applications including torrents, DC-clients, ICQ, Web Browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and the like), and Mail clients, etc. as these can interfere with the connection test results.
  3. Install Pingplotter on your computer.   there is a free version if you search
  5. Launch Pingplotter and maximize the window.
  7. In the "Target Name" field, please type in:
  9. dc11-sl-a15.fe.core.pw       (if you're on the east coast NA server)

i believe that this could be the Ashburn VA data center, but i cannot know that for sure

set your Trace Interval at 15 - 30 seconds (never never less than 15 seconds or you'll be congesting the server unnecessarily)

if you have a little IP expertise, you can set a sound alarm in the Edit section to give you a sound alarm when you exceed a ping and/or packet loss level, and another sound when pings fall back to normal level... let it run in the background while you're in battle

remember that this only helps diagnose intermittent issues, not the high pings from far away locations

hope this helps someone!

1. Edit:   if you're like me, the closest ISP node to your router is often my most congested/slowest/highest ping rate node...
  3. i replaced the Ashburn IP address with that slow ISP IP address in the target window, then i can reduce the Trace Interval to 5 seconds without congesting the entire route all the way to Virginia

the red alert sound cues me to break off a DF, and rejoin when the All Clear sound occurs

Edited by trikke, 02 December 2017 - 02:57 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

gmann14 #2 Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2938 battles

I heard if your ping is bad you need to update your drivers

https://memegenerato...-and-update.jpg

get 30-40 ping in tanks or ships, 30ish in wt, and keep seeing 100+ in wowp... it's the solar flares..if it makes you feel better, go nuts:)

The wowp server is in Washington DC

During streams, people have reported 100+ pings if they're on the west coast.. and people from the east coast get 30, 40. Some guy in New York said he sees 20's.. Brain's ping during streams is pretty much always 120 and he's on the west coast.. So besides the high ping, game crashes and the lag spikes when this happens:

https://clips.twitch...emurKeyboardCat

Unless you want to move to DC to have the best ping ever, better put wowp on a ssd drive when it lags out and the server shts the bed and kicks you out to a log in screen, hope you can log back in and load the game back up before the game ends

Tragic Loss was streaming wowp on thurs and her ping was 100,110... from a wg office in San Fran.. so if they get 100+ yeah... sounds like they need to update their drivers as well

Was in a flight with a guy, flying mid match.. game pauses for few sec, then few more, ping jumped up to few thousand.. and got dumped to main log in screen. I tell the guy what just happened; he says "me to... game froze and I got kicked to log in screen" Now that is some timing

Edited by gmann14, 02 December 2017 - 04:54 PM.

trikke #3 Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

Captain

• 3633 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
ping response times aren't related to driver updates, unless your current drivers are pre-21st century 

Vanillain #4 Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2298 battles
Haha, I'm in South-Africa and I've never seen a ping below 280. Usually I'm at 360

losttwo #5 Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

OMG yes.< holding in inhale> That game is so difficult.

That little white ball < long slow exhale > moves so fast when you're that high.

I could not even imagine trying to plot it's course, speed and direction.

Sure it's all geometry but pool is easier and slower. 

Here < with hand out >

Wanna a beer?.

trikke #6 Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

Captain

• 3633 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

our friend SFMY had 400+ pings early Saturday morning EDT (Saturday evening his time), but still was able to double my scores in every battle 

300+ is his normal ping, but Saturday was far worse, for some reason 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users