A-26B Invader: High Level or Low Level?

bomber altitude ground pounding

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

NoLove_NoNothing #21 Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

Master Sergeant

• 259 battles

http://forum.worldof...aa-in-disguise/

Link to my original post. It also has a video of 3 battles I did in the A-26B doing tree-top level bombing in my first ever live-stream showcasing what my usual matches are like in this thing.

My scores from my first 3 battles tonight:
1. Victory, 9200 CP, 1130 MP, 48k dmg to ground, 1353 dmg to air, 3 air kills, 1 death.

2. Defeat, 11,910 CP, 1460 MP, 39k dmg to ground, 1424 dmg to air, 6 air kills, 1 death.

3. Victory, 11,980 CP, 1530 MP, 56k dmg to ground, 914 dmg to air, 5 air kills, 2 deaths (1 to fire cause this thing lights up like a tinderbox), and that sweet sweet Bombardier medal :teethhappy:. Didn't even realize I got it but it must've been one of the enemy players who was chasing me on a bomb run through a rocket base and got too close. Lel :trollface:. Also got my first "Air and Ground" ribbon for destroying 4 aerial targets and 4 ground targets in each of at least 2 battles played in a row. Walked away with the Conqueror medal too.

Honestly, how people can fly this thing at max altitude and do well is beyond me. Tree-top bombing is the Fun-Vee. High altitude is the Hum-drum-Vee.

Edited by SaintCelestine_WH40K, 04 December 2017 - 08:18 AM.

trikke #22 Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 238 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSaintCelestine_WH40K, on 04 December 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

http://forum.worldof...aa-in-disguise/

Link to my original post. It also has a video of 3 battles I did in the A-26B doing tree-top level bombing in my first ever live-stream showcasing what my usual matches are like in this thing.

My scores from my first 3 battles tonight:
1. Victory, 9200 CP, 1130 MP, 48k dmg to ground, 1353 dmg to air, 3 air kills, 1 death.

2. Defeat, 11,910 CP, 1460 MP, 39k dmg to ground, 1424 dmg to air, 6 air kills, 1 death.

3. Victory, 11,980 CP, 1530 MP, 56k dmg to ground, 914 dmg to air, 5 air kills, 2 deaths (1 to fire cause this thing lights up like a tinderbox), and that sweet sweet Bombardier medal :teethhappy:. Didn't even realize I got it but it must've been one of the enemy players who was chasing me on a bomb run through a rocket base and got too close. Lel :trollface:. Also got my first "Air and Ground" ribbon for destroying 4 aerial targets and 4 ground targets in each of at least 2 battles played in a row. Walked away with the Conqueror medal too.

Honestly, how people can fly this thing at max altitude and do well is beyond me. Tree-top bombing is the Fun-Vee. High altitude is the Hum-drum-Vee.

omg, it is so much fun down low!    WG had to know that we would all be 'misusing' this thing so wickedly

but no sniper zoom means that it becomes a real challenge for me to get on target

NoLove_NoNothing #23 Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

Master Sergeant

• 259 battles

View Posttrikke, on 04 December 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

omg, it is so much fun down low!    WG had to know that we would all be 'misusing' this thing so wickedly

but no sniper zoom means that it becomes a real challenge for me to get on target

You really need to practice the timing at various speeds for bomb release to hit targets efficiently (500kph, 400kph, 300kph, 200kph). I've been slowly working on doing it by every 100kph though i'm still going by "feel". However I *have* learned that if you do low-level, depending on the composition of the ground target you're trying to bomb, different avenues of attack on said target will result in either complete destruction of the sector, or you'll leave 1 or two buildings standing.

Overall, for most large targets oriented in squares or the rare E-shaped armored targets, dropping from corner-to corner works best rather than going side to side (cross over the sector diagonally from corner to opposite corner). On most AA (low alt) and AAA (high alt) gun batteries, to ensure full destruction, dropping length-wise is always best. If you're attacking a mining plant, and you wanna pop the factory in the center, you wanna drop 2 clusters to blanket the rectangle-shaped sector EXACTLY down the middle in a straight line length-wise. Demolition Expert helps with the anemic 1200 damage and 50m blast radius of the 100lbs bombs, upping both by 15%.

As far as enemy players, bomb runs take priority. Once your bay is empty you have 25 seconds of free time to try and get on the tail of a GAA and maul them with the forward .50 cals, if not outright destroy them. But once your bombs reload, if there are any ground targets left, your priority must go back to bombing immediately. With the rapid reload of 25 seconds, and 4 bomb cluster drops, you can nuke things faster than GAA if you're quick. Kinda of a d*ckish move, but diving from the battle start down to about 300m then levelling out, you'll outrun the GAAs and be able to drop on targets first. This accelerates the flipping of initial caps. Make sure you have a GAA with you. They will mop up anything left behind from your initial bombing run and you still get points from "sector destruction assists".

As far as WG knowing we were gonna try this bullschiesse, I really don't think they intended on us doing this, despite having HAD to have looked into the historical use of the Invader and its low-altitude and tree-top level bombing. Though I suppose doing this is compensated by losing the ability to use the 'bombsight' mode usefulness due to low flying AND losing the white targeting reticule due to being too low..... so maybe you're right and they did think people would try it out, but not be interested given the lack of the bomb sight and targeting reticules.

Even in my "crappier" games, I'm still doing just as good as other players who fly it at max altitude, and in my average games I'm doing anywhere between 2k to 4k more in combat points than opposing A-26 pilots bombing from max altitude, and still managing to get close to or over 1k mastery points too (indicating that not only am i being productive with high combat points, but also doing my job with high mastery). Considering the Invader is a premium aircraft, and that combat points directly translate into credits earned, the higher CP totals you can get gives you vast amounts of credits after the match. I foresee this being my go-to plane for grinding credits from now on. It's more fun down low (that's what she said:playing:)

EDIT: As far as loadouts and crew skills go, once I get ballistics expert on my gunner, I'm thinking about dropping the rear-gun stabilizer mod. With as much as I get lit on fire flying down low, I'm seriously considering picking up Fire Fighting on my pilot for 1 skill point, and swapping the RGS mod for Self-Sealing tanks instead of the armor plates. Seriously, this thing at least for me is like flying around in the Hindenburg. Feels like I'm getting lit up like a bonfire at least once every battle and if I don't get killed by the plane, the fire gets me despite having the max health this thing can get (1554 hp with mods and skills). Fire in this thing hurts bad, and you can't maneuver enough to put it out.

Edited by NoLove_NoNothing, 05 December 2017 - 09:36 AM.

trikke #24 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 238 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
i can smell a consumable called 'sniper view' and another called 'dive bomber sight' coming for this particular plane

Blucraft #25 Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

Senior Airman

• 57 battles

I'm really starting to want this package :coin:...

-Blu

NoLove_NoNothing #26 Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:21 AM

Master Sergeant

• 259 battles

For what you get in the package for the price, you are really only paying full price for the RB-17 and getting the Blenheim and Invader for free. It's a good package.

trikke #27 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 238 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

win or lose, i always have fun, productive battles in it

i like some premies that i still own and rage-sold many others, but i love love this one

WG, may i have my gold now?    that gold that you confidentiality promised me if i helped promote sales of the A-26?

i've still got your email right here...

SpiritFoxMY #28 Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 248 battles
Dammit, stop tempting me with WarGaming's package.

GhostPrime #29 Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View Posttrikke, on 07 December 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

win or lose, i always have fun, productive battles in it

i like some premies that i still own and rage-sold many others, but i love love this one

WG, may i have my gold now?    that gold that you confidentiality promised me if i helped promote sales of the A-26?

i've still got your email right here...

Haha. I'm glad you like the A-26b its actually my favorite out of the three as well. The RB-17 is a beast though. I feel the A-26B is a bit more versatile of a plane on the whole. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Also tagged with bomber, altitude, ground pounding

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users