A-26B Invader: High Level or Low Level?

bomber altitude ground pounding

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

X01_ISAAC_7 #1 Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

Master Sergeant

• 519 battles

So I'll admit, I bought the bomber bundle. But not for the RB-17 which most people will get it for. I got it for the A-26, which out of the 3, was the only one I really wanted. I already had the Blenheim from being lucky enough to get all the parts for it during the release of 2.0, but wasn't so lucky with the Invader, and only got 2 pieces out of the 20 some for the RB-17.

I can't find the video of it, but I remember Z3M from Shrike Gaming doing a live-stream of the Invader. And he was bombing at tree-top level. I'm talking so close to the ground that the normal bomb reticule doesn't even show up. It looked fun, and with the 4x4 bomb drop the Invader has, plus those beefy rear guns with awesome firing arcs AND the forward .50 cals, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Holy [edited]is it fun. It says low air speed, but I've found that the Invader is rather quick. And with a little practice, tree-top bombing seems to be able to wipe out ground targets a lot more often in one drop than doing it from absolute max altitude of 3000+ meters. Even managed a 10k combat point game in it that was mostly against other players.

Comparing all 3 bombers, I honestly think the only way you can get away with doing this type of bullschiesse is by flying the A-26B. Neither the RB-17 nor the Blenheim have good enough forward-firing armament to take out AA guns in a pinch, and neither of those two have strong enough tail gunners to reliably defend themselves when plunging through a deathball over a cap point. The RB-17 *might* be able to do it, but given the limited firing arc of it's rear cannon, i doubt it. The Blenheim, definitely not though, and that's mostly due to it only have 4 bombs and dropping them 1 at a time.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you ever consider taking a bomber into a position you really shouldn't be taking them in an effort to live a little bit more on the edge? Or do you prefer to play it nice and safe, as high up as possible where hardly anyone can get to you?

FIight #2 Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 4131 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

A-26B still needs to get high, if you fly low you become

very vulnerable and you are pretty useless if you are refilling

bombs. The trick is how to land all 4 bombs to the small

piece of ground targets.

Edited by Einssniper, 02 December 2017 - 10:23 AM.

Blast_Radius1 #3 Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1325 battles

I agree with Einssniper, the low level stuff looks fun, but having gone high in heavies to do a number on the A-26B and promptly getting my butt handed to me by those gunners, I'd say you'll be more effective for your team up high. Up high you're a PITA over a cap, and if I want to get rid of you it's going to take a lot more mucking around than BnZing the lower stuff, from which I'll also get more XP.

I did watch a video on low level A26 and I admit it does look pretty fun stuff, so I guess it's your choice to either say "I had fun", or say "We won."

pyantoryng #4 Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

Bombers cannot drop bombs below certain altitude...but the A-26 is quite powerful in its tier with 1200 HP or so, 6 forward guns, and very wide rear gun traverse range that lets it engage stuff in its tier and lower easily at lower altitude...besides, its bombs are pretty crap (four 50lbers per drop) so dropping lower is to ensure better spread and travel time.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

TornadoADV #5 Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 893 battles
The Invader is aptly name, very heavy self defense armament (4 .50 cals in 2 turrets of 2) and 6 forward firing .50 cals allowing it to act as a heavy fighter and light strafing.

FIight #6 Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

• 4131 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View Postpyantoryng, on 02 December 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

Bombers cannot drop bombs below certain altitude...but the A-26 is quite powerful in its tier with 1200 HP or so, 6 forward guns, and very wide rear gun traverse range that lets it engage stuff in its tier and lower easily at lower altitude...besides, its bombs are pretty crap (four 50lbers per drop) so dropping lower is to ensure better spread and travel time.

you can still land your bombs pretty accurately

Edited by Einssniper, 03 December 2017 - 02:27 AM.

trikke #7 Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2250 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

absolutely it's a great GA that can slow dance with heavies...   my 2 battles this morning as a GA/heavy killer ended in me as #1 in a win and #2 in a loss 

i baited HFs to follow me out of the cap and killed all that kept following me... what a rush!     then flew back over the airfield and was completely repaired each time

worth every penny!   and inb4 nerf!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Joiea #8 Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Senior Airman

• 1244 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 02 December 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Bombers cannot drop bombs below certain altitude.

Bombers can absolutely drop bombs at ground level, just no aiming circle.

comtedumas #9 Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

• 5050 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Posttrikke, on 02 December 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

absolutely it's a great GA that can slow dance with heavies...   my 2 battles this morning as a GA/heavy killer ended in me as #1 in a win and #2 in a loss 

i baited HFs to follow me out of the cap and killed all that kept following me... what a rush!     then flew back over the airfield and was completely repaired each time

worth every penny!   and inb4 nerf!

WG never nerfs premiums, even if they are so overpowered they break the game.  

Edited by comtedumas, 02 December 2017 - 05:29 PM.

Damage_Magnet #10 Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

Airman Basic

• 854 battles
  • [D_2] D_2

This is how you do low level bombing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GDdIU6lk6JU

And a proposed bomber to add, probably as a premium

https://www.youtube....h?v=cEek5IvGYKg

trikke #11 Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2250 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postcaptaingzer0x, on 02 December 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

Bombers can absolutely drop bombs at ground level, just no aiming circle.

i get a 'bombs don't work at this altitude' message, or something like that, when i'm skimming the treetops in the a-26

i haven't tried it yet, but i'll try it and get back to you

X01_ISAAC_7 #12 Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• 519 battles

View Posttrikke, on 02 December 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

i get a 'bombs don't work at this altitude' message, or something like that, when i'm skimming the treetops in the a-26

i haven't tried it yet, but i'll try it and get back to you

I got that message too. You can still drop your bombs, however you don't even get the basic white targetting circle that GAA and MRFs get when going in for bomb drops. You essentially get no target indicator at all. It really relies on learning what angle the bombs will impact based on your speed.

mnbv_fockewulfe #13 Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

Captain

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSaintCelestine_WH40K, on 02 December 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

I got that message too. You can still drop your bombs, however you don't even get the basic white targetting circle that GAA and MRFs get when going in for bomb drops. You essentially get no target indicator at all. It really relies on learning what angle the bombs will impact based on your speed.

What!? A skill based mechanic?

Image result for fainting gif

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Wombatmetal #14 Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

• 949 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostSaintCelestine_WH40K, on 02 December 2017 - 02:09 AM, said:

So I'll admit, I bought the bomber bundle. But not for the RB-17 which most people will get it for. I got it for the A-26, which out of the 3, was the only one I really wanted. I already had the Blenheim from being lucky enough to get all the parts for it during the release of 2.0, but wasn't so lucky with the Invader, and only got 2 pieces out of the 20 some for the RB-17.

I can't find the video of it, but I remember Z3M from Shrike Gaming doing a live-stream of the Invader. And he was bombing at tree-top level. I'm talking so close to the ground that the normal bomb reticule doesn't even show up. It looked fun, and with the 4x4 bomb drop the Invader has, plus those beefy rear guns with awesome firing arcs AND the forward .50 cals, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Holy [edited]is it fun. It says low air speed, but I've found that the Invader is rather quick. And with a little practice, tree-top bombing seems to be able to wipe out ground targets a lot more often in one drop than doing it from absolute max altitude of 3000+ meters. Even managed a 10k combat point game in it that was mostly against other players.

Comparing all 3 bombers, I honestly think the only way you can get away with doing this type of bullschiesse is by flying the A-26B. Neither the RB-17 nor the Blenheim have good enough forward-firing armament to take out AA guns in a pinch, and neither of those two have strong enough tail gunners to reliably defend themselves when plunging through a deathball over a cap point. The RB-17 *might* be able to do it, but given the limited firing arc of it's rear cannon, i doubt it. The Blenheim, definitely not though, and that's mostly due to it only have 4 bombs and dropping them 1 at a time.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you ever consider taking a bomber into a position you really shouldn't be taking them in an effort to live a little bit more on the edge? Or do you prefer to play it nice and safe, as high up as possible where hardly anyone can get to you?

I remember that video by G3m too but it seems to be taken down. Looked very effective and fun. If I had the A26 I would definitely do it 

Mercsn #15 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1075 battles
Here's Magus' vidon the a26, low level subject. 

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

MagusGerhardt #16 Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:32 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 526 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostSaintCelestine_WH40K, on 02 December 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

In my opinion the A-26B is the real jewel of this bundle.  The Tier III Blenheim Mark IV is completely lulzy with its ability to climb and bomb with practical impunity from 2,500 to 3,000 meters altitude.  The RB-17 looks neat and very memorable with her vertically paired jet engines.

But the Invader is the most versatile of the trio.  She can perform multiple roles in combat, depending on what skills you give her crew and what optional equipment you opt to mount.  The A-26B has no trouble at all climbing to stupid altitudes for some strategic bombing action.  The A-26B also has no problem at all zipping at top speed at tree level before hopping over a plateau and diving down to perform a point-blank low level bombing run.  Her half dozen forward firing 50 cals aren't just for show, either; easily capable of blowing up AA guns and enemy GA if you're flying low level, and capable of shooting down enemy A-26Bs you find bombing from high altitude.

It goes without saying that any fighter or heavy that gets in front of the Invader is going to have a hard time.  Oh, yeah, and this whole time the Invader has another pair of 50 cals in a turret on her back and a twin for it on her belly.  Those have been shooting at anything within 700 meters of you if you give her range extension with the gunner's skills and mount the gun stabilizer as well.

She's just all around nasty and fun to play no matter how you choose to fly her.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

MagusGerhardt #17 Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:33 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 526 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMercsn, on 02 December 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

In other news, I opened up this thread and began my previous reply around 4 O'clock.  That will teach me to AFK before I finish replying.  :D

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Mercsn #18 Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1075 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 02 December 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

In other news, I opened up this thread and began my previous reply around 4 O'clock.  That will teach me to AFK before I finish replying.  :D

:honoring:

Your vids on the bombers, a26 in particular, was first thing I thought  of when I saw the subject and was surprised you hadn't thrown in a link already. Little did I know you were in the laborious process of a 5 hour reply! Teamwork!

I'm looking forward to messing with these, also...just as soon as I can tell my bank that WG isn't really terrorists who are trying to steal my money to fund illicit things....hopefully I'm not lying.  :ohmy:

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

HazeGrayUnderway #19 Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1515 battles

View PostMercsn, on 03 December 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

Thanks for the video link.  The style reminds me so much of German GA because of that speed and handling.  Interesting.

Edit:  Built for low level attack, did 2 matches like that, indeed it is fun.  I need to work a bit on my timing of low altitude releases.  With the same build, I did try the higher altitude bombing, effective in its own way and safer.  Low level you are more open to attack, high altitude, it's going to take someone with determination to get to you.

In addition, while playing other aircraft types I never noticed it, but only now in a bomber that I realize how little heavy fighters are played.  

Definitely a big f-u to the light fighter / turn & burn meta in the caps.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 03 December 2017 - 10:17 AM.

trikke #20 Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2250 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMercsn, on 02 December 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to messing with these, also...just as soon as I can tell my bank that WG isn't really terrorists who are trying to steal my money to fund illicit things....hopefully I'm not lying.  :ohmy:

i'll bet it's because of the Cyprus location of the bank that WG uses...   Cyprus has a reputation as a banking version of Ali Baba's Den of Forty Thieves

apologies to anyone from Cyprus, or if your name is Ali Baba

Also tagged with bomber, altitude, ground pounding

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users