F2G Super Corsair, something wrong with it?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

comtedumas #1 Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles
In a post on the forum, someone said there was something wrong with the F2G, what might that be?  
Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercsn #2 Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

I don't know what post you're referring to, but from a design and balance perspective, the F2G is at an altitude range that is going to have it fighting Yaks and La-9 along with zeros.  It's not maneuverable enough to turn fight any of them and it's not fast enough to (slower than, even) outrun the La or Yak.   The things it would be good at killing with it's 4x 20mm cannon would be heavies, but they all outrun it and have higher altitude limits.  It looks designed, from a game perspective, to attack ground attack planes or to attack ground targets with ordnance.  Both of those things (which will have it flying straight, relatively level, and slow) will get it killed quickly by making it an easy target.

It would be interesting to hear what someone who does well in it and enjoys using it in-game has to say about it!

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Einssniper #3 Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostMercsn, on 01 December 2017 - 04:29 AM, said:

I don't know what post you're referring to, but from a design and balance perspective, the F2G is at an altitude range that is going to have it fighting Yaks and La-9 along with zeros.  It's not maneuverable enough to turn fight any of them and it's not fast enough to (slower than, even) outrun the La or Yak.   The things it would be good at killing with it's 4x 20mm cannon would be heavies, but they all outrun it and have higher altitude limits.  It looks designed, from a game perspective, to attack ground attack planes or to attack ground targets with ordnance.  Both of those things (which will have it flying straight, relatively level, and slow) will get it killed quickly by making it an easy target.

It would be interesting to hear what someone who does well in it and enjoys using it in-game has to say about it!

F2G is a unique type of aircraft, it has extremely powerful engine, making it accelerate very quickly;

you don't need to dogfight with a zero or yak, you can out run them;

with ordnance you can really farm a lot of points and contribute to the teamwork;

F2G has been great if you stay in your altitude bands-it's not really a plane that should go

super high. Find a flight mate who also flies F2G and let him clear your tail.

Even in 1.9 we used to flight F2Gs and use its ordnance to f**k motherships.

Colddawg #4 Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 241 battles

It might have been my post how I have the "resupply bug" for this bird.  I have to manually restock my outboard weapons after every battle.

Otherwise, the F2G and F-94D are both handicapped airplanes, not as fast as they should be and can't perform at the altitudes they should be.

Keep your head on the swivel.

NoLove_NoNothing #5 Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:09 PM

Master Sergeant

• 259 battles
Going from the F4F up to the F-4U Corsair felt like a serious downgrade to me. And going from 6x .50s to 4x 20mm cannons felt like even more of a downgrade. Even with a gunsight, in order to reliably hit anything with those guns, i still have to close to within 500m. Shouldn't upgrading from MGs to cannons...... i dunno....feel like an upgrade rather than a side grade? The overheat on those 20mms is horrible too.

I am not liking the Corsairs and dread having to grind through 2 more of the dang things just to get to the F-94D and it's M61 Vulcan.

SpiritFoxMY #6 Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:09 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 248 battles

... huh. I'm hating the F4F. Cannons are wonderful things IMO. 

Then again, I think it's just learning how to use it with the fite discipline required to make use of them...

Haven't you gone down any of the other nation's lines? 

HazeGrayUnderway #7 Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 742 battles
Corsairs just suck in this game.  Period.  Can't dogfight.  Can't outrun.  Can't outclimb.  Can't outdive.  No point in boom and zoom when a turn and burn just catches right up to you after it flips over in a 360 to catch you.  Can't even intercept high altitude bombers.  It sucks in high altitude fighting.  It sucks in low altitude fighting.  It sucks in fighting in between.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 03 December 2017 - 11:43 AM.

LMG #8 Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

View PostColddawg, on 01 December 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

It might have been my post how I have the "resupply bug" for this bird.  I have to manually restock my outboard weapons after every battle.

Otherwise, the F2G and F-94D are both handicapped airplanes, not as fast as they should be and can't perform at the altitudes they should be.

I discovered that selling and buying the bugged plane fixes the issue. It's not kind on the wallet, but you won't enter battles "naked" :sceptic:
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Einssniper #9 Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

corsair line has been a line for horizontal BNZ,

corsair is good, F6U and F7U definitely worth it,

if you fly it like traditional BNZ planes you are wrong,

if you fly it like TNB fighters you are also wrong,

it's corsair in principle, you pick a target, stay behind it, and output damage, making it heavily injured(or killed),

and apply full boost to disengage, don't turn until you get over 1200m away;

corsair line has strict requirement on boost you have, and is not recommended for new players who is

more suitable to play traditional BNZ, TNB planes.

HazeGrayUnderway #10 Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

View PostEinssniper, on 03 December 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

corsair line has been a line for horizontal BNZ,

corsair is good, F6U and F7U definitely worth it,

if you fly it like traditional BNZ planes you are wrong,

if you fly it like TNB fighters you are also wrong,

it's corsair in principle, you pick a target, stay behind it, and output damage, making it heavily injured(or killed),

and apply full boost to disengage, don't turn until you get over 1200m away;

corsair line has strict requirement on boost you have, and is not recommended for new players who is

more suitable to play traditional BNZ, TNB planes.

Unfortunately planes, especially players, don't keep flying straight for you.

Other aircraft will just as easy turn into and catch right up to you as you try to disengage.

Einssniper #11 Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:36 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 03 December 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Unfortunately planes, especially players, don't keep flying straight for you.

Other aircraft will just as easy turn into and catch right up to you as you try to disengage.

question is, will your FJ-1/MIG-9 catch my F6U after I ambush you?

will you evade my gunfire if you do not fly in a straight line?

Things can't be determined without trying

Edited by Einssniper, 04 December 2017 - 03:37 AM.

HazeGrayUnderway #12 Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

View PostEinssniper, on 04 December 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

question is, will your FJ-1/MIG-9 catch my F6U after I ambush you?

will you evade my gunfire if you do not fly in a straight line?

Things can't be determined without trying

After a simple turn to get out of your sights easily, yes.  Your multi-role isn't fast for sh*t and it gets run down by anything for their tier.  Slip around the multi role and it's game over.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 04 December 2017 - 03:47 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #13 Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 248 battles

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 04 December 2017 - 03:46 AM, said:

After a simple turn to get out of your sights easily, yes.  Your multi-role isn't fast for sh*t and it gets run down by anything for their tier.  Slip around the multi role and it's game over.

I disagree. Even a Zero can't turn fast enough to get more than a fleeting shot at a horizontal BnZ-er if he's forced to turn a 180. The degree gets lower and easier depending on the angle so aim for head-ons with smaller, lighter craft you can vaporize in a pass. At least a 90 degree angle (3 or 9 o'clock). Do not engage otherwise unless he's below 50%. Do not use boost in the approach (I'm often idling on the way in to recover as much boost as I can). Fly up to him, shoot him then boost out if he's a light. More often than not he'll be missing bits n pieces of his plane by the time you're through. The only danger at this point is a Russian with a big derp.

I hate fighting Corsairs. They have every advantage over the Focke Wulf save firepower. They have long enough boost and high enough speed that the 190 cannot outrun them, yet have high enough maneuverability and HP to outturn and outlast in a turn fight.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 04 December 2017 - 05:19 AM.

Einssniper #14 Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 03 December 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

you new players have a lot to learn, including how to BNZ attack;

some hidden stats are not listed in the 'stats panel', Cosair gets more

boost meaning you can accelerate at a longer time than normal light fighters,

not to say F6U gets 16 sec boost, almost double those of same tier fighters.

One of the top 3 fighters in tier 9 can 'suck' in your hands, then it's definitely your play style

Einssniper #15 Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 04 December 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

I disagree. Even a Zero can't turn fast enough to get more than a fleeting shot at a horizontal BnZ-er if he's forced to turn a 180. The degree gets lower and easier depending on the angle so aim for head-ons with smaller, lighter craft you can vaporize in a pass. At least a 90 degree angle (3 or 9 o'clock). Do not engage otherwise unless he's below 50%. Do not use boost in the approach (I'm often idling on the way in to recover as much boost as I can). Fly up to him, shoot him then boost out if he's a light. More often than not he'll be missing bits n pieces of his plane by the time you're through. The only danger at this point is a Russian with a big derp.

I hate fighting Corsairs. They have every advantage over the Focke Wulf save firepower. They have long enough boost and high enough speed that the 190 cannot outrun them, yet have high enough maneuverability and HP to outturn and outlast in a turn fight.

speed + firepower combo, corsair trades fw190's roll rate for higher turn rate and airspeed.

vonluckner #16 Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 398 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 04 December 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

You're not merging properly if you're getting smoked by head-ons. You need to start turning while they're still closing with you so that you're pulling in right behind them as they go by. As long as your aircraft is more maneuverable it's just a matter of timing. If you're doing a lot of damage in the head on, you're probably turning too late.

Zero isn't particularly good at merging from head-on (low speed and slow roll rate means you're an easy target to track), but at T8 an F2G has to run even from an La-11. La-9 and Yak-15 totally outperform the F2G. No it does not accelerate fast enough to get out of gun range before dying... it only has 440hp to make up 1000ft+ of distance at a speed difference of like 45fps against the La-11. The La-9 and Yak-15 are both faster in level flight so uhh.. good luck.

What's wrong with the F2G is that it's a multirole. It just isn't going to beat a lightfighter in a dogfight unless you're fighting with some massive energy/hp advantage or the enemy is completely unaware. It has substantially worse maneuverability with a high stall speed. It's suited to killing enemies that are tunneled onto other targets, especially if they've been sucked into low speed TNBs.

Edited by vonluckner, 05 December 2017 - 10:20 AM.

Einssniper #17 Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View Postvonluckner, on 05 December 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

You're not merging properly if you're getting smoked by head-ons. You need to start turning while they're still closing with you so that you're pulling in right behind them as they go by. As long as your aircraft is more maneuverable it's just a matter of timing. If you're doing a lot of damage in the head on, you're probably turning too late.

Zero isn't particularly good at merging from head-on (low speed and slow roll rate means you're an easy target to track), but at T8 an F2G has to run even from an La-11. La-9 and Yak-15 totally outperform the F2G. No it does not accelerate fast enough to get out of gun range before dying... it only has 440hp to make up 1000ft+ of distance at a speed difference of like 45fps against the La-11. The La-9 and Yak-15 are both faster in level flight so uhh.. good luck.

What's wrong with the F2G is that it's a multirole. It just isn't going to beat a lightfighter in a dogfight unless you're fighting with some massive energy/hp advantage or the enemy is completely unaware. It has substantially worse maneuverability with a high stall speed. It's suited to killing enemies that are tunneled onto other targets, especially if they've been sucked into low speed TNBs.

The question is, why you turn with a light fighter like zero? Should that case never happen?

vonluckner #18 Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 398 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

View PostEinssniper, on 06 December 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

The question is, why you turn with a light fighter like zero? Should that case never happen?

You have to turn (not necessarily with a zero) because many LF are just faster than you.

If you just try to run certain aircraft will just kill you whether the pilot is good or bad like the I-220. If you turn you will still die to a player that's even a little good, but maybe if they're bad you can force an overshoot.

I don't think the A6M is that good, I only mentioned because it was brought up for head-ons. It's probably the only plane you can just fly away from.

Einssniper #19 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View Postvonluckner, on 06 December 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

You have to turn (not necessarily with a zero) because many LF are just faster than you.

If you just try to run certain aircraft will just kill you whether the pilot is good or bad like the I-220. If you turn you will still die to a player that's even a little good, but maybe if they're bad you can force an overshoot.

I don't think the A6M is that good, I only mentioned because it was brought up for head-ons. It's probably the only plane you can just fly away from.

You can also avoid the engagements far away, you don't even need to encounter a light fighter. I don't believe someone would fly 4 KM to get you if you intentionally evaded him

vonluckner #20 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 398 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

View PostEinssniper, on 07 December 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

You can also avoid the engagements far away, you don't even need to encounter a light fighter. I don't believe someone would fly 4 KM to get you if you intentionally evaded him

What's the point then? 

If you're going to play a low impact airplane that runs from pursuers, play a heavy fighter that's actually fast.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users