Jump to content


What does WG intend each plane type to be doing in 2.0; a quick reference.

type chevrons roles capture superiority

  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #1 Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 738 battles
  • 115
  • [SOL] SOL
  • Member since:
    12-08-2015

Either in game when loading into a battle, during a battle, or in the AAR when back to hanger there appears a visual guide of circle segments as to what an aircraft type should focus on during battle.

The more segments of each circle completed, the better the ''type'' reward of chevrons; which has an unclear relationship to mastery points.

 

It is possible to obtain a greater score in one of the three circles particular to an a/c type, but the grade awarded will never count anything beyond the actual existing segments.

 

 

For each kind of plane in game, these ''Aircraft-type Specific Missions'' are:

 

 

Light ''Pure'' Fighters

''Sector Defense''

- Destroy enemy a/c while defending sectors.

 

''Destruction of Aerial Targets''

- Destroy aerial targets (enemy a/c, air defense a/c, & bombers) from the attack flight.

 

''Air Battle for Sectors''

- Earn capture points for destroying air defense a/c & enemy a/c when attacking sectors.

 

 

Heavy Fighters

''Destruction of Aerial Targets''

- Destroy aerial targets (enemy a/c, air defense a/c, & bombers) from the attack flight.

 

''Sector Capture''

- Participate in capturing sectors.

 

''Sector Attack''

- Earn capture points for destroying air defense a/c, enemy a/c, & ground targets when attacking sectors.

 

 

Multi-Role Fighter

''Sector Attack''

- Earn capture points for destroying air defense a/c, enemy a/c, & ground targets when attacking sectors.

 

''Sector Capture''

- Participate in capturing sectors.

 

''Sector Defense''

- Destroy enemy a/c while defending sectors.

 

 

Ground Attack Aircraft

''Destruction of Infrastructure''

- Destroy sections of enemy ground targets.

 

''Destruction of Ground Targets''

- Earn capture points for destroying enemy ground targets.

 

''Sector Capture''

- Participate in capturing sectors.

 

 

Bombers

''Destruction of Ground Targets''

- Earn capture points for destroying enemy ground targets.

 

''Destruction of Infrastructure''

- Destroy sections of enemy ground targets.

 

''Sector Capture''

- Participate in capturing sectors.

 

 

 

Grade Rewards:

An aircraft type grade indicates the efficiency of a player's performance in aircraft of a certain type.

Successful completion of type-specific missions results in grade promotion.

 

The same grade is assigned to all aircraft of the same type.

Aircraft of different types have different missions and different grades.

 

The blue segments indicate the progress towards completing a mission on a scale of 1 to 5.

The total number of all segments corresponds to a certain aircraft type grade.

 

 

Grade [V] (aircraft type); 4, 5, or 6 points out of a cap of [7] = one chevron.

Grade [IV] (aircraft type); 7 or 8 points out of a cap of [9] = two chevrons.

Grade [III] (aircraft type); 9 or 10 points out of a cap of [11] = three chevrons.

Grade [II] (aircraft type); 11 or 12 points out of a cap of [13] = four chevrons.

 

Grade [I] (aircraft type); 13 points out of a cap of 13 = four chevrons and a star.

- once again, while it is possible to earn more than [13] ''type'' points the progression is hard-capped at thirteen and players get nothing extra.

 

 

Practical Uses of the Type Reward System

Akamatsu Medal = [1 token]; once per day, awarded for earning at least 400 capture points for destroying aerial targets with a fighter in a single sortie with a plane of tier IV or greater.

Hero of the Sky Badge = [1 token]; once per day, awarded for earning the highest type grade (I) in a battle in a plane of tier IV or greater.

Kozhedub Medal = [1 token]; once per day, awarded for destroying at least 5 aircraft from the enemy combat group after the arrival of the squall line and surviving until the end of the battle in a plane of tier IV or greater.

Lambert Medal = [1 token]; once per day, awarded for earning at least 400 capture points with a multi-role fighter in a single sortie with a plane of tier IV or greater.

Winged Legend = [1 token]; once per day, awarded for earning at least 14,000 combat points in a single battle in a plane of tier IV or greater.


Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 15 December 2017 - 09:13 AM.

5801234590.png


mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:09 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 102 battles
  • 1,910
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013

This is really useful, thanks!:great:

 

Unfortunately, defending sectors isn't properly...represented in the chevron system.

Last week's competitive scrimmage I hosted showed me that you don't have to kill a plane over a sector to defend it. In fact, merely distracting enemy planes from destroying the defense bots is actually enough to defend a sector. Staying alive and acting as bait is effective when out-numbered and actually gets the same job done. They aren't capping the sector if they're busy chasing you. 

 


Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

 

mnbv_fockewulfe.png


 


LMG #3 Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 788 battles
  • 558
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 30 November 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

This is really useful, thanks!:great:

 

Unfortunately, defending sectors isn't properly...represented in the chevron system.

Last week's competitive scrimmage I hosted showed me that you don't have to kill a plane over a sector to defend it. In fact, merely distracting enemy planes from destroying the defense bots is actually enough to defend a sector. Staying alive and acting as bait is effective when out-numbered and actually gets the same job done. They aren't capping the sector if they're busy chasing you. 

 

If only GAAs were durable enough to do this :(
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #4 Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:47 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 738 battles
  • 115
  • [SOL] SOL
  • Member since:
    12-08-2015

The pure & heavy fighter ''destruction of aerial targets'' mission is interesting as the only method to earn type points outside of capturing or defending, although bomber flight a/c do not apparently count.

 

Over the past three or four days of recording chevron results for both bots & players;

I have seen fighters earn all grades of reward, but I have rarely seen any other a/c type earn better than a grade [IV] reward; likewise, I have not yet seen heavy fighters or GAA earn more than a grade [IV] reward period.

One time I saw a MR fighter earn a grade [II] reward, as well as once a player-controlled bomber earn a grade [III] reward,

 

 

Given how GAA & bombers can double dip on ground targets (sections plus outright destruction) they should be more easily racking up the type rewards; except, the segments seem to be set too high for a realistic game result.

Bombers need (100) ground targets destroyed, and (20) sections, as do GAA; this appears to be a per segment requirement but I'm not 100% sure atm.


Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 30 November 2017 - 11:01 PM.

5801234590.png


mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 102 battles
  • 1,910
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013

100 ground targets destroyed in a single game?

That's unsurmountable.


Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

 

mnbv_fockewulfe.png


 


Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #6 Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 738 battles
  • 115
  • [SOL] SOL
  • Member since:
    12-08-2015

With the screenshots I have so far (70) in the tier V IL-2 didn't give me a segment of the ''ground targets'' circle, but (100) in the tier III BSH-1 did, as well as (125) in the IL-2.

Twenty-four in the BSH-1, and (39) with the IL-2, will complete a segment of the ''sections destroyed'' circle, but less than (20) does not.

 

Every sector capture a plane is present for seems to generate a complete segment; I'm not clear though on how the game decides segments are completed for planes downed as this seems to vary by type.


5801234590.png


LMG #7 Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 788 battles
  • 558
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostSoylent_Red_Isnt_People, on 30 November 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Given how GAA & bombers can double dip on ground targets (sections plus outright destruction) they should be more easily racking up the type rewards; except, the segments seem to be set too high for a realistic game result.

Bombers need (100) ground targets destroyed, and (20) sections, as do GAA; this appears to be a per segment requirement but I'm not 100% sure atm.

 

From experience, I can only get all the chevrons + the star if I get to capture >3 sectors unassisted and without enemies pouncing on me. Not only does that depend on the map, the enemy team needs to either be mostly bots focusing on bomber runs or simply not care about me lolling about. I do agree that I don't get paid enough for what I do, to the point where I've lost credits on my IL-2 (t) simply because the enemy team focus me down first on maps with 3 sectors; the ones where you can't avoid enemy contact at all unless you get lucky and the whole enemy team goes for the middle sector. It also seems that I get paid less for being effective and capturing bases quickly by hitting a few highly-armored ground targets,as opposed to slugging it out by attacking a lot of low-value soft targets and AA emplacements, which does not make any bit of sense to me :sceptic:

 

It has been getting worse up the tiers (currently on the IL-20). While I was expecting to lose credits at tier VIII because of the design of the game, I was not expecting getting less than 1k experience after blowing up two mining facilities and a garrison + several reargunner assists. It makes me not even want to fly the thing anymore considering I need over 60k for the dual 57s :(

 

Edit: I just found out that the credits displayed at the results screen is actually your net earnings after repairs and resupply, I thought it displayed what I had earned in battle. That means that I'm actually getting profit with the IL-20 :amazed:


Edited by LMG, 01 December 2017 - 05:01 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

pyantoryng #8 Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:47 AM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 885 battles
  • 7,273
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostLMG, on 30 November 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

 

From experience, I can only get all the chevrons + the star if I get to capture >3 sectors unassisted and without enemies pouncing on me. Not only does that depend on the map, the enemy team needs to either be mostly bots focusing on bomber runs or simply not care about me lolling about. I do agree that I don't get paid enough for what I do, to the point where I've lost credits on my IL-2 (t) simply because the enemy team focus me down first on maps with 3 sectors; the ones where you can't avoid enemy contact at all unless you get lucky and the whole enemy team goes for the middle sector. It also seems that I get paid less for being effective and capturing bases quickly by hitting a few highly-armored ground targets,as opposed to slugging it out by attacking a lot of low-value soft targets and AA emplacements, which does not make any bit of sense to me :sceptic:

 

It has been getting worse up the tiers (currently on the IL-20). While I was expecting to lose credits at tier VIII because of the design of the game, I was not expecting getting less than 1k experience after blowing up two mining facilities and a garrison + several reargunner assists. It makes me not even want to fly the thing anymore considering I need over 60k for the dual 57s :(

 

To get EXP, forget the chevrons. Kill, assist, destroy targets fully, earn combat points, make rear gun kills, make rocket kills, make bomb kills, and even make ram kills. Do anything that give the milestone boxes to appear, and those yellow boxes in the same position too.



WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

LMG #9 Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:02 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 788 battles
  • 558
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postpyantoryng, on 30 November 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

To get EXP, forget the chevrons. Kill, assist, destroy targets fully, earn combat points, make rear gun kills, make rocket kills, make bomb kills, and even make ram kills. Do anything that give the milestone boxes to appear, and those yellow boxes in the same position too.

 

There's only so much I can do in a lumbering GAA that's programed to not hit with its frontal guns (it's kinda hilarious and sad that the most armed airplanes are the worst in head-on fights). Even when I do all that, I think the highest I've gotten was like 1.5k exp with the aerial verification on a win. Oh wait, I forgot I had those things in the first place... whoops :amazed:.

 

As a side note, I pretty much always ram anything that's not another GAA. I'm dead anyways if they get on my tail

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Mercsn #10 Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:32 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 965 battles
  • 2,841
  • Member since:
    04-17-2013

"...when attacking sectors" does NOT require attacking ground targets for multi-role (MR) and heavy fighters (HF).  In fact, attacking ground targets will often hurt a player's ability to earn capture points for attacking sectors by taking themselves out of the air fight.  Even just employing ordnance to quickly destroy a ground target can often result in death or severe loss of hitpoints for HF and MR aircraft.  Proof in this video.


 

Also, for newer players wanting a more indepth explanation of why MR and HF should not risk getting killed (giving capture points to the enemy team) or losing out on capture points for aerial kills while earning poor experience and credits for attempting ground target kills visit this thread.


 

Remember, WG doesn't know how to be successful at their own game.  They code and they do marketing; they don't play it often or well.  You do NOT need to follow the loading screen tooltip for "destroy anti-aircraft guns" or "small amounts of ground targets".  Winning, mastery, and the missions described in the original post (OP) of this thread do NOT require attacking ground targets for MR and HF.


 

Be a winner, don't attack ground targets with your MR or HF!

:medal:  :great:   :honoring:


All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

 

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #11 Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 738 battles
  • 115
  • [SOL] SOL
  • Member since:
    12-08-2015

Mission types break-down; What does it take to earn a segment? (may include some guesstimates):

 

''Air Battle for Sectors'' [LF's only]

- For each air defense plane shot down over a neutral/enemy cap the pilot is awarded (40 = air defense) points; the initial value is [x of 50], then [x of 75] -> [x of 100] -> [x of 150], but may go as high as [x of 200].

- Filling in one segment apparently requires at least (50) points worth of a/c shot down, yet (80) points will fill two segments and (120) three segments.

- Planes from the ''enemy flight'' (reds) are worth (60) if shot down over a neutral (white) capture area or a cap they control, otherwise they are worth only (40) points if shot down over friendly caps when defending.

 

 

''Destruction of Aerial Targets'' [LF's & HF's]

- Somewhat straightforward, where for each plane shot down anywhere the pilot is awarded points as per usual based on locale or type of cap; the initial value is [x of 2], then [x of 5] -> [x of 7] -> [x of 10], to a max [x of 15].

- Filling in one segment apparently requires at least (2) aircraft kills, yet achieving [6 of 7] will not fill in three segments, just two; however, (3 {or 4} of 5) will not fill two segments.

- This is apparently why light fighters can so easily achieve high scores and grades compared to other types, by being rewarded twice for all a/c shot down during a match.

 

 

''Destruction of Ground Targets'' [Bombers & GAA]

- Each destroyed ground target appears to be worth on average (20, 25, or 30) capture points; the initial value is [x of 100], then [x of 175] -> [x of 250] -> [x of 350] -> [x of 450], to an unknown maximum value.

- It takes (100) points to fill in one segment, and while (120 {to 130} of 175) remains at one segment (180 {to 225} of 250) fills in just two segments.

- Managing (250 of 350) fills in only three segments, and (390 of 450) fills in only four segments; this is a LOT of ground target destruction, four if not five caps worth.

- The bots seem quite truly bad at achieving any acceptable score in this mission type, with both bombers and GAA frequently ending up near the bottom of the after-battle scoreboard.

 

A selection of ground targets.

Small_Ground_01.jpg - Small Ground Targets; (4) sections, the ''dots'', and (15) capture points, all of which can be destroyed by non-cannon gunfire.

 

 Medium_Ground_00.jpg - Medium Ground Targets; (6) sections and (20) capture points, all of which can be destroyed by non-cannon gunfire. (Small Armored G/T's also earn 20 pts, with 4 or 5 sections.)

 

 Medium_Ground_01.jpg - Medium Ground Targets; (6) sections but (30) capture points, only some of which can be destroyed by non-cannon gunfire. (The Command Center's ''mattress'' aerial is this type.)

 

Heavy_Ground_00.jpg - Heavy Ground Targets; (6) sections but (50) capture points, and are unique to Command Centers (satellite dish) or Mining Plants. (These structures are usually solitary.)

 

Specialty_Ground_00.jpg - Specialty Ground Targets; these structures appear only on specific maps or are unique to a specific type of capture area.

- AA ''triangle'' ships are small armored targets (20 pts), but Flak ''home plate'' ships are regular small targets (15 pts), and both can be destroyed by non-cannon gunfire. (Archipelago map Garrison & Command Center.)

- Control Towers (unique to Airbases) are (6) section medium targets worth (35) points, but is of the tougher type requiring cannon gunfire or ordnance; the small tower in the corner is often missed.

- Factories (unique to Mining Plants) & Command Posts (unique to Military Bases) are solitary (9) section heavy targets worth (80) points, requiring substantial amounts of ordnance or gunfire to destroy.
 

 

''Destruction of Infrastructure'' [Bombers & GAA]

- As best I can figure the pilot receives (1) point per section [dot/square] of a ground target destroyed, even if the entire structure is taken out; the initial value is [x of 20], then [x of 40] -> [x of 60], but may go to [x of 100].

- It takes at least (20) points to fill in a segment, with (22 {to 32} of 40) still just one and (45 {to 52} of 60) filling in two segments; (100) plus points will fill in all the segments.

 

 

''Sector Attack'' [HF's & MRF's]

- Along with the standard points for planes, (40) or (60), there is the (15 to 20+) points for each destroyed ground target; the initial value is [x of 50], then [x of 125] -> [x of 200] -> [x of 275], to an unknown maximum value.

- Filling in one segment apparently requires at least (50) points, and while (155 of 200) points in an MRF may fill in three segments for some reason (160 of 200) in a HF only fills in two segments; (200) fills in three arcs.

- No a/c type besides bombers & GAA get any points whatsoever for sections of a ground target destroyed, only all or nothing.

 

 

''Sector Capture'' [All types except LF's]

- For each sector the pilot assisted in capturing (1) segment is filled in; the initial value is [x of 2], then [x of 3] -> [x of 4], and so on I assume by a step of one to an unknown maximum value (possibly 5).

 

 

''Sector Defense'' [LF's & MRF's]

- This seems to be straightforward, as for each plane shot down the pilot is awarded (40) points and (1) segment of the total arc; the initial value is [x of 1], then [x of 2] -> [x of 3] -> [x of 5], but may go as high as [x of 7].


Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 16 December 2017 - 01:16 PM.

5801234590.png


Mercsn #12 Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 965 battles
  • 2,841
  • Member since:
    04-17-2013

I appreciate your time in doing the breakdown.  It further highlights that HF and MR need to not attack ground targets, both for their team's benefit as well as their own.  ONE are kill is worth three ground target kills, keeping in mind a "ground target kill" is only awarded once all little pieces of a target group are destroyed.

 


 

And...also highlights that bots aren't programmed well at all, since the ground attack (GA) bots should be quite good, since...shooting stationary targets is fairly easy.


 

Also a note on combat points...you don't need to do "mission" related things to achieve high scores.  Often, when I try to fly GA, I end up doing more air fighting than ground attacking, if I can't find a quiet zone (no player enemies) to attack.  I will often score higher than most players in the "combat points" category (and earn gobs of xp) while playing the GA completely "wrong" from a chevrons/role-missions perspective.  Mastery is awarded, regardless of craft flown, for doing things that earn mastery (such as killing fighters -even in a ground attack craft).


 

I really don't see why WG felt a need to make the metrics of it so complicated.  There are so many things measured and which are ultimately irrelevant (combat points, chevrons, role-missions, mastery) which should just be boiled down into friggin XP.   And then that one metric can be broken down to show which actions gave how much XP.


 

A big part of the problem is WG not knowing how to play their own game to win.  And thinking that adding superfluous layers of complexity is the same as adding depth.  When I play, I want to win.  I'm going to do things to help my team win, regardless of what aircraft I'm flying.  And, often, those things don't line up with what WG's load screen and role-missions say I should be doing.


 

While the breakdown info is excellent for someone interested in understanding what earns what....the bottom line really is:  kill fighters to win AND earn the most XP and, preferably, kill them in a sector.  The role-missions, load screen "tips", combat points, and chevrons are all meaningless.  The one stat that's important to winning, mastery (which translates to XP), isn't shown on the main end of match summary screen and you have to go hunting for it, if you want to see what it is for that match.


All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

 

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

LMG #13 Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 788 battles
  • 558
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostMercsn, on 01 December 2017 - 04:19 AM, said:

And...also highlights that bots aren't programmed well at all, since the ground attack (GA) bots should be quite good, since...shooting stationary targets is fairly easy.


 

Also a note on combat points...you don't need to do "mission" related things to achieve high scores.  Often, when I try to fly GA, I end up doing more air fighting than ground attacking, if I can't find a quiet zone (no player enemies) to attack.  I will often score higher than most players in the "combat points" category (and earn gobs of xp) while playing the GA completely "wrong" from a chevrons/role-missions perspective.  Mastery is awarded, regardless of craft flown, for doing things that earn mastery (such as killing fighters -even in a ground attack craft).

 

From my understanding from the translated post from the RU server, bot programing is very, very simplistic. GAA bots only know that they have to shoot ground targets and capture anything that isn't an airfield or an airbase (I've never seen them shoot aircraft). They do not know how to control speed to make use of their cannons, they do not know how to prioritize certain targets, nor do they know when you should use rockets and bombs. All they do is go into a sector and start firing all weapons at whatever is in front of them. It's quite obvious they can't deal with the game when you see a Ju 88 P bot trying to capture a Mining Facility, or that one french GAA. Bomber bots are also iffy at best too, spraying bombs all over the place except the target I'm guessing they're aiming at.

 

I've also noticed that I get paid a lot more for shooting aircraft on my GAAs than ground targets. When I'm on my IL-20 and I'm against a team full of bot GAAs I just start farming xp from them to at least feel I'm getting some sort of progression. I just wish we had a tiny bit of aiming assistance like the fighters get; those big cannons are quite unreliable, even in head-on fights :(


This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

pyantoryng #14 Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:08 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 885 battles
  • 7,273
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostLMG, on 01 December 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

 

From my understanding from the translated post from the RU server, bot programing is very, very simplistic. GAA bots only know that they have to shoot ground targets and capture anything that isn't an airfield or an airbase (I've never seen them shoot aircraft). They do not know how to control speed to make use of their cannons, they do not know how to prioritize certain targets, nor do they know when you should use rockets and bombs. All they do is go into a sector and start firing all weapons at whatever is in front of them. It's quite obvious they can't deal with the game when you see a Ju 88 P bot trying to capture a Mining Facility, or that one french GAA. Bomber bots are also iffy at best too, spraying bombs all over the place except the target I'm guessing they're aiming at.

 

I've also noticed that I get paid a lot more for shooting aircraft on my GAAs than ground targets. When I'm on my IL-20 and I'm against a team full of bot GAAs I just start farming xp from them to at least feel I'm getting some sort of progression. I just wish we had a tiny bit of aiming assistance like the fighters get; those big cannons are quite unreliable, even in head-on fights :(

 

You sacrifice too much for the 57mm. In case of the Ju 88P it's kinda its only option, and the 1099B-2's 50mm seem slightly beter at shooting at planes than the 57mm which shake the screen a lot when fired. The 1099B-2 also has only 4x250kg while the high tier ILs get 2x500kgs and x12 1300 damage rockets to take care of armored targets.

 

I'd say stick with the NR-23s so you can shoot both planes and targets...and don't be afraid to die. Respawning seem to reset all the milestones that feed into mastery points so you can get more of it in the end.



WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

LMG #15 Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:10 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 788 battles
  • 558
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postpyantoryng, on 01 December 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

You sacrifice too much for the 57mm. In case of the Ju 88P it's kinda its only option, and the 1099B-2's 50mm seem slightly beter at shooting at planes than the 57mm which shake the screen a lot when fired. The 1099B-2 also has only 4x250kg while the high tier ILs get 2x500kgs and x12 1300 damage rockets to take care of armored targets.

 

I'd say stick with the NR-23s so you can shoot both planes and targets...and don't be afraid to die. Respawning seem to reset all the milestones that feed into mastery points so you can get more of it in the end.

 

The thing is that big cannons that shoot from afar are my prefered playstyle in GAAs. The 23s seem to do fine for now (finally got the upgraded ones), but I'm missing my range and punching power to properly sweep an area. It's especially troublesome when I have several AA guns firing at me and I can't take them out quickly. I'm not saying which is better, but the pseudo-sniping capabilities of the big guns just fits me properly. In any case, I have to get the guns to "elite" the IL-20, so worse case scenario I just switch back to the 23s and call it a day. I'm also not really planning to go past the Ju 88 P, as I only really wanted that 50mm cannon :playing:


This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #16 Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 738 battles
  • 115
  • [SOL] SOL
  • Member since:
    12-08-2015

On the practical side, there does seem to be some badges along the lines of earning the old Ace or Thunder medal where folks can get a once a day token for playing to the type/grade requirements.

As I see myself or other folks get any I'll amend the first post.

 

 

 

View PostMercsn, on 01 December 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Often, when I try to fly GA, I end up doing more air fighting than ground attacking, if I can't find a quiet zone (no player enemies) to attack.

 

A big part of the problem is WG not knowing how to play their own game to win.  And thinking that adding superfluous layers of complexity is the same as adding depth.

And, often, those things don't line up with what WG's load screen and role-missions say I should be doing.


 

....the bottom line really is:  kill fighters to win AND earn the most XP and, preferably, kill them in a sector.  The role-missions, load screen "tips", combat points, and chevrons are all meaningless.

Indeed, a lot of the 2.0 revamp seems more window dressing than meaty content - with the light fighter reigning supreme in most respects, unless a flight of heavy fighters queues into a match.

Any contributions by MRF or GAA not playing at aerial superiority pales by comparison, with bombers looking to be the CVs of Warplanes; OP in the right hands, but a detriment to a team otherwise.

 

My explorations today in the training room seeing how GAA score (post above edited with results) leads me as well to the same conclusion as y'all; most ground targets are not worth the time & ordnance it takes to destroy it.


Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 02 December 2017 - 09:31 AM.

5801234590.png


pyantoryng #17 Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 885 battles
  • 7,273
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostLMG, on 01 December 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

 

The thing is that big cannons that shoot from afar are my prefered playstyle in GAAs. The 23s seem to do fine for now (finally got the upgraded ones), but I'm missing my range and punching power to properly sweep an area. It's especially troublesome when I have several AA guns firing at me and I can't take them out quickly. I'm not saying which is better, but the pseudo-sniping capabilities of the big guns just fits me properly. In any case, I have to get the guns to "elite" the IL-20, so worse case scenario I just switch back to the 23s and call it a day. I'm also not really planning to go past the Ju 88 P, as I only really wanted that 50mm cannon :playing:

 

Sounds like you came from the IL-8...whatever suits your boat I suppose. I prefer the IL-10 style of 23mms as I have pretty bad ping, and it's the common style in the jet tier.

 

The conversion from mastery points to EXP is pretty near or slightly above 1:1, so if you can battle well those EXP should be flowing in no time.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

If you are planning to destroy targets to capture a sector you might as well be soloing it or only with other GAs. Having a lot of planes dying above you tend to render everything futile.

 

...and low tier GA just don't bust target as quickly as the higher tier ones with guns alone. Guns takes a couple seconds at most to reload while ordnance takes well over a minute.



WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

LMG #18 Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 788 battles
  • 558
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postpyantoryng, on 02 December 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

Sounds like you came from the IL-8...whatever suits your boat I suppose. I prefer the IL-10 style of 23mms as I have pretty bad ping, and it's the common style in the jet tier.

 

The conversion from mastery points to EXP is pretty near or slightly above 1:1, so if you can battle well those EXP should be flowing in no time.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

If you are planning to destroy targets to capture a sector you might as well be soloing it or only with other GAs. Having a lot of planes dying above you tend to render everything futile.

 

...and low tier GA just don't bust target as quickly as the higher tier ones with guns alone. Guns takes a couple seconds at most to reload while ordnance takes well over a minute.

 

Yes I went down the IL-8, I even kept the thing in my hangar. I also know how badly allies can hamper my progress of capturing sectors, I even mentioned it on a different thread. In general I avoid dogfighting on my GAAs except on stuff like the Bsh-2, which doesn't have much of a choice but can hit somewhat consistently with its twin 23s :playing:


This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

trikke #19 Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 839 battles
  • 468
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
this is all great info, and i'm going to have to reread it several times, i'm afraid
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #20 Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 738 battles
  • 115
  • [SOL] SOL
  • Member since:
    12-08-2015

View PostSoylent_Red_Isnt_People, on 01 December 2017 - 04:59 AM, said:

- Planes from the ''enemy flight'' (reds) are worth (60) if shot down over a neutral (white) capture area or a cap they control, otherwise they are worth only (40) points if shot down over friendly caps when defending.

This is a critical but understated point in 2.0; if you crash your own plane, or ram-kill a friendly/get ram-killed, within a capture area it counts AGAINST superiority as if the opposing combat group (reds) had shot down the plane.

If, until made to where it can no longer be exploitable, players choose to crash before squall hits to respawn at full health during a match ensure they don't do it inside a capture area.

 

Capture areas DO NOT automatically regain any lost supremacy points, although they still grant their points per tick or other benefits to the controlling team until completely turned by the opposing side.


Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 16 December 2017 - 04:40 PM.

5801234590.png






Also tagged with type, chevrons, roles, capture, superiority

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users