News from the Russian side.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

S4pp3REffecT #41 Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 539 battles
  • [151RW] 151RW
Can we stop with the 1.x stuff?

It isn't coming back, best you can hope for is some of the elements to blend with 2.0 but I wouldn't hold your breath...

As to the marketing, I would definitely not be advertising this to the harder-core plane crowds... There's next to zero historical accuracy or realism, it is what it is - an arcade game. Accuracy or realism are more likely to be important to these crowds than others.

I worked in explosives for a long time, inside secret, almost all explosions in movies are incindiaries, proper bombs going off look a LOT different. Subsequently I find movie explosions very annoying, so I would expect realism/accuracy to be likewise important with planes/plane crowd.

To be honest I don't know how WG works out it's Target Audience (TA) and they've definitely demonstrated in Warships that they have no understanding of their TA. (CVs, Clan Battle restrictions, CB time slots, Clan sizes, etc).

Perhaps they're trying to reach military enthusiasts that aren't die-hard about planes?
ie. The next crowd down from flight-sim obsessives.

Who knows...

Krautjaeger #42 Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 943 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS

View PostS4pp3REffecT, on 29 November 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

It isn't coming back, best you can hope for is some of the elements to blend with 2.0 but I wouldn't hold your breath...

As to the marketing, I would definitely not be advertising this to the harder-core plane crowds... There's next to zero historical accuracy or realism, it is what it is - an arcade game. Accuracy or realism are more likely to be important to these crowds than others.

I worked in explosives for a long time, inside secret, almost all explosions in movies are incindiaries, proper bombs going off look a LOT different. Subsequently I find movie explosions very annoying, so I would expect realism/accuracy to be likewise important with planes/plane crowd.

To be honest I don't know how WG works out it's Target Audience (TA) and they've definitely demonstrated in Warships that they have no understanding of their TA. (CVs, Clan Battle restrictions, CB time slots, Clan sizes, etc).

Perhaps they're trying to reach military enthusiasts that aren't die-hard about planes?

Who knows...

I could not agree with you more.

I think perhaps finding a target audience in this currently shifting market, towards fully casual, is something that's bewildered more than just one developer the past couple of years. Also, marketing is really difficult for outsiders to understand. I had a company before I retired, and early on I hired an Ad-agency to help with marketing and all that. So they asked me who I felt was my target audience and I kinda looked at them and said well I was hoping everyone could be targeted, they told me that this was rather difficult because audience groups would some times shy away from things they felt were targeted towards others thus targeting towards all could mean less people coming. It could very well be that WG decided to not target the flight enthusiast market because they were worried they'd scare away the casual crowd later on when they were going to target them as I would imagine a lot of casuals would think it was too hard core and just not even try.

In the end we don't know, and we'll never know how they decided to go the route they decided to go except it all came down to money and what looks like being the most safe and largest revenue stream. Companies tend to keep things like that locked down tight.

Zapperguy #43 Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostS4pp3REffecT, on 29 November 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

Respectfully, who are you to tell people, who have been playing together for years, what version we're allowed to discuss on the forum?

mnbv_fockewulfe #44 Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

Captain

• 616 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostS4pp3REffecT, on 29 November 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

Who knows...

The game you describe as "full arcade" is 2.0. 

1.0 (which I played and had a blast playing) wasn't full arcade. It wasn't full sim either and we had what? 6,000 people on at one time from what I remember. Not a success by WG standards (I guess) but a lot better than we have now I can guarantee you. Full 15v15 battles in 30-60 seconds was fantastic. And why did those people leave? Because the game kept catering to the casual crowd, the dumb crowd, the minority crowd. No one wants to play a game that doesn't cater toward them. And guess what, even the casual crowd left leaving nothing but the diehards. 

Call me an elitist, you'd be right.

What happens when the casual crowd decides the game isn't fun anymore? They'll all up and leave faster than you can say gorovets. 

View PostKrautjaeger, on 29 November 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

I could not agree with you more.

I think perhaps finding a target audience in this currently shifting market, towards fully casual, is something that's bewildered more than just one developer the past couple of years. Also, marketing is really difficult for outsiders to understand. I had a company before I retired, and early on I hired an Ad-agency to help with marketing and all that. So they asked me who I felt was my target audience and I kinda looked at them and said well I was hoping everyone could be targeted, they told me that this was rather difficult because audience groups would some times shy away from things they felt were targeted towards others thus targeting towards all could mean less people coming. It could very well be that WG decided to not target the flight enthusiast market because they were worried they'd scare away the casual crowd later on when they were going to target them as I would imagine a lot of casuals would think it was too hard core and just not even try.

In the end we don't know, and we'll never know how they decided to go the route they decided to go except it all came down to money and what looks like being the most safe and largest revenue stream. Companies tend to keep things like that locked down tight.

I'm this kind of guy.

edit: I know about the inside secret shh!

p.s. I think real explosions look cooler.

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 29 November 2017 - 08:37 PM.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

Krautjaeger #45 Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 943 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 29 November 2017 - 08:31 PM, said

I'm this kind of guy.

edit: I know about the inside secret shh!

p.s. I think real explosions look cooler.

hahaha! :teethhappy: A lot of my friends, from back in uni-time, are engineers and they'd go 'oh yeah'. :) +1 as I'm out of the regular ones. And yes, real explosions does look cooler.

S4pp3REffecT #46 Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 539 battles
  • [151RW] 151RW

View PostZapperguy, on 30 November 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

Respectfully, who are you to tell people, who have been playing together for years, what version we're allowed to discuss on the forum?

I wasn't telling anyone anything, I merely posed a question...

And to be honest the reason I'm sick of seeing the 1.x stuff is that every 2nd thread gets the topic hijacked by that 1.x discussion... But discuss away, just expressing my opinion on it

mnbv_fockewulfe #47 Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:58 PM

Captain

• 616 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostS4pp3REffecT, on 29 November 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

I wasn't telling anyone anything, I merely posed a question...

And to be honest the reason I'm sick of seeing the 1.x stuff is that every 2nd thread gets the topic hijacked by that 1.x discussion... But discuss away, just expressing my opinion on it

Then don't read the forum. :P

In all seriousness,

it's only been a month and a half, give us time to morn our lost game.:(

And half the threads created are about how much worse 2.0 is compared to 1.x.

Not really hijacked if made with the intent to discuss such a topic.

S4pp3REffecT #48 Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 539 battles
  • [151RW] 151RW

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 30 November 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

The game you describe as "full arcade" is 2.0. 

1.0 (which I played and had a blast playing) wasn't full arcade. It wasn't full sim either and we had what? 6,000 people on at one time from what I remember. Not a success by WG standards (I guess) but a lot better than we have now I can guarantee you. Full 15v15 battles in 30-60 seconds was fantastic. And why did those people leave? Because the game kept catering to the casual crowd, the dumb crowd, the minority crowd. No one wants to play a game that doesn't cater toward them. And guess what, even the casual crowd left leaving nothing but the diehards. 

Call me an elitist, you'd be right.

What happens when the casual crowd decides the game isn't fun anymore? They'll all up and leave faster than you can say gorovets. 

I was talking about 2.0, which is the game we have now.

I'm glad you enjoyed 1.x but tbh I don't like discussing it, I have no ground to stand because I didn't play it, perhaps there's a point to be made there *shrugs*.

I do care about the game as it stands now. I really hope WG have a good plan in place with lots of well timed content releases and balancing, otherwise even un-casual folks like me will depart...

Need I mention GA/Fighter meta?

mnbv_fockewulfe #49 Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:52 AM

Captain

• 616 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Each to his own.

Unfortunately, after years of participating in the Open Beta Test for WOWP, none of us oldies are quite the same.:amazed:

Edit: if you don't want to discuss the topic that's fine,

just get out of my thread.:trollface:

DHwaCli.jpg?1

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 30 November 2017 - 12:54 AM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #50 Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

Captain

• 616 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Good news, the sound could change.:great:

Block Quote

Greetings. Sounds in the future can change, yes. Concerning the changes in the interface - serious in the patch will not, if there are, then cosmetic.  

Leviathan__W #51 Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Airman Basic

• 1125 battles

Thanks for the news.

By the way, have you noticed that you missed a question? Could you bring that question back so I can finish my translation. Thanks.:)

Zapperguy #52 Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostLeviathan__W, on 03 December 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Thanks for the news.

By the way, have you noticed that you missed a question? Could you bring that question back so I can finish my translation. Thanks.:)

Here's a link to the post in question: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.ru/index.php?/topic/94704-%D0%BE-%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%85-%D0%B8-%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BA%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5/page__st__40__pid__2676668#entry2676668

:honoring:

Joiea #53 Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

Senior Airman

• 1273 battles
Interesting info, thx!

Leviathan__W #54 Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:40 AM

Airman Basic

• 1125 battles

Oh thanks!

Zapperguy #55 Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostMelBrooks, on 03 December 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Got trouble with this guy fockewulfe? Get Ace an address, we’ll take it from there.

Gonna give 'em the Lego treatment?

mnbv_fockewulfe #56 Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

Captain

• 616 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users