Multi-role Dilemma/ My Target Priority in Ground Attack Craft

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Dru83 #41 Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1557 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Wow... so much has been posted since I was last reading this. This is a case of we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Mercsn is blanket posting to try to straighten out all the beginner players which I can understand, but you can get an advantage in the right situation by taking out ground targets. Sure, if you're not comfortable with making snap decisions to attack ground targets, yeah go delete your ordnance and focus on downing planes. Otherwise, be smart and apply explosive force when necessary to either quick flip a cap or make life easier by removing AA guns. I have been in situations with a defense fighter on my tail with the cap almost under control where quickly dropping all ordnance on a single target flipped the cap and removed the fighter from my tail. Way quicker and effective than taking damage and using time to dogfight. Yes, in a neutral cap it is often faster to take out the defenders and flip it. In a Red cap especially in the center, you can't always flip it fast because your guys are dying too. In such cases, it can be prudent to take out AA guns to make life easier for you and for your low flying buddies. I do generally ignore the high alt guns unless there's only a few or I'm flying a heavy with ground ordinance. I'll even take out AA guns in a fighter (yes, I only mean a real fighter with no ordnance and not MR or HVY) IF there's only a couple AA guns (airfields) and it will make my life in a squishy fighter (Zero, Yak-1) easier. Gotta do something while I'm waiting for the high alt heavy defense planes to come visit, right?

Yes, not all MR are equal. That score for a I-16 posted above by Suzukaze was good because the I-16 is best at turning and killing planes and not great at ground pounding. The I-16 is best when shooting off all rockets at once to get a single ground target or using all rockets in a head on attack against heavies. The score posted for the Beaufighter by Mercsn though, was ok IMO, not great, but OK. Nothing wrong with 4 Air to Air kills and 2 ground targets killed. A MR with heavy ordnance (F4U-4, P-47) or a Heavy with heavy ground ordnance (Beaufighter, Mossy, Hornet, P-38, etc) can make a Mine or Mil base or Comm center flip much faster if they help out the GA. Those bases cannot be flipped by killing planes alone, so if you're limited in attack or bombers attacking the cap, yes go help out the single attacker. Just don't stay down there. Dive in, attack and kill planes, drop all ordnance on 1 or 2 targets and get back to killing planes. Nothing wrong with that. The only problem is if you fail to completely destroy a ground target. Leave nothing standing. As a HVY or MR, it is perfectly fine to salvo all your ordnance on 1 or 2 targets. Don't be picky about saving ordnance. Shoot it all off at once, to purposefully flip a cap or eliminate AA guns at an airfield and also start the reloading process immediately. Just don't linger at low altitude, don't go guns only on multiple ground targets, and don't ignore easy Air targets to play GA. Don't get me wrong. I hate people who fart around on the deck (flying slow at low altitude slowly wounding ground targets) in a Fighter, MR, or HVY, just as much as the next guy. Don't Ever Do That! Make surgical strikes and climb back up to get back to killing planes. Here endeth the lesson.

Wombatmetal #42 Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:23 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 750 battles

And that's how I play it. I do a lot more ground attack than @Mercsn recommends. However, for someone starting out I think it important to develop good habits in shooting planes.  That needs to be first priority because new players tend towards tunnel vision. Don't tunnel vision on GA. 

Once they have that down then start playing more advanced. 

This is a more typical match, but it muddies the waters. 

StoptheViolins #43 Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:32 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1470 battles
The hurricane is on par with the 109 so you can dogfight with it.

Mercsn #44 Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

hoom, stop, spirit, dru   the thing you guys aren't taking into consideration is that this thread is not for YOU.  It's for the guy who starred in the vid clip (the HF getting wrecked by defense bots because he wanted to play GA) and these other random newbies that I find attacking ground targets (particularly fighters strafing!!) with no benefit to themselves or the team.

Are there times when it's good to use ordnance?  Absolutely.  But, they are very few and far between AND there is no general rule for when is a good time other than "when there are no air targets available". 

Ask yourself this:  If you are on a team with one or more of these guys that DO NOT have the experience, knowledge, or intuition on how to correctly use ordnance, do you want them following my blanket advice to not attack ground targets or do you want them following your advice that it is ok to attack ground targets?

Because if you tell them it's ok to attack ground targets, they will pick stupid occasions to do so that will get them killed and help YOU lose the match.  If you have a fighter on your tail, would you prefer a human teammate to shoot that fighter or shoot a ground target?  Now, before you answer, keep in mind that most of these guys DO NOT KILL THE GROUND TARGET and so, receive zero capture points and will not turn off defense bots/AA (and of course, the only way to turn off enemy players or player bots is to splash them).

This thread isn't for those of you who have the experience, knowledge, skill, or intuition to correctly decide when is a good or bad time to attack a ground target instead of an air target.  This thread is for players like this, who obviously don't have the required skillset to determine yes/no on attacking ground targets instead of air targets:

Spoiler

Now, it shows him having a match time of only about a minute out of five minute match (fast loss, this unproductive player and a guy who dropped match early when we still had a chance...in a spitfire no less).  So, perhaps he had some issue joining the match, but there's still no excuse for a fighter to do equal damage to a ground target as air targets...especially since he's not killing any ground target groups and, therefore, scoring ZERO capture points.  This guy just isn't doing himself or his team any favors.  Getting stomped is not fun.  Getting stomped because you're being stupid is extra not fun.

Now, again, ask yourselves the question, if this guy is on your team, do you want him to avoid attacking ground targets, as a general rule or do you want him to shoot aircraft?

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users