Fw 190 A-1

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

NorthernPorter #21 Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1583 battles
The FW 190 A-1 isn't completely out classed by the P-40. On paper it has a better Rate of Climb, Rate of Roll, Survivability, and Gun Armament than the P-40. They're matched on airspeed though. Granted I have no difficulty zapping FW's in my P-40 though but I've flown the Warhawk much more than the 190. Calling it outright worthless though is a bit heavy handed in my opinion. It has its niche and can do well it the right hands. Its certainly not the best Tier V and I agree it's outclassed by the 109's 3x 20mm's. It's weird though how on paper the 190 is supposed to have better Airspeed, Survivability, Rate of Climb, and Rate of Roll than the 109.

SpiritFoxMY #22 Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2494 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostNorthernPorter, on 29 March 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

The FW 190 A-1 isn't completely out classed by the P-40. On paper it has a better Rate of Climb, Rate of Roll, Survivability, and Gun Armament than the P-40. They're matched on airspeed though. Granted I have no difficulty zapping FW's in my P-40 though but I've flown the Warhawk much more than the 190. Calling it outright worthless though is a bit heavy handed in my opinion. It has its niche and can do well it the right hands. Its certainly not the best Tier V and I agree it's outclassed by the 109's 3x 20mm's. It's weird though how on paper the 190 is supposed to have better Airspeed, Survivability, Rate of Climb, and Rate of Roll than the 109.

Rate of climb doesn't really matter for the A-1; a P-40 has a higher operational altitude so climbing is actually a really bad idea. If anything, it isn't the paper stats that saves the A-1 against most planes it faces; its its 15 second boost that will get you out of trouble in almost every case.

The Focke Wulf line suffers in that none of its supposed "advantages" actually meaningfully contribute to long-term effectiveness. I've always found the planes to be good only in bursts (as long as they still have boost!) Then they're sidelined until they recover their boost and positioning in a battle. That's why they have issues with Defense on Invasion - the Attackers are relentless and there's no "down time" for a Focke Wulf pilot to recover and reset.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

NovaTempest #23 Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1314 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 23 November 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

I liked the A-1 and adore the A-5. They cannot rack up the kind of cricket scores that the Spitfire and Zero can, but they are good fighters.

The moment I "got good" with the Focke Wulfs was when Johnny_Wishbone popped onto my thread and told me to "drop the hammer straight out or in a shallow climb" and "the Focke Wulf is unique in that it can outrun almost anything going straight and level. Older hands use it as a sort of horizontal boom and zoomer".

Being such a small fighter I think tempts people into using it as such when you can't. It doesn't have the HP of a heavy or the maneuverability of a light so getting in and out FAST is an imperative. My preferred trick is to stay at altitude until someone blunders in below me, dive, shoot level out and boost away with one eye on the mirror. 

The problem with the A1 is its comparatively modest firepower. It can't kill in one pass. The A5, OTOH, hits like a train and can vaporize most lights in a single pass with a bit of sharp shooting. Don't spray from range as your cannons are the key. Get in close and light him up where you can't miss.

Then hit the gas and get out.

I'm still not *great* in 190, but my average CP on them has gone up doing this.

^^^ Im going to adopt this playstyle with the A-1 Whenever I start popping it again, I got almost as frustrated with the A-1 as the OP. I've heard historians argue that the Focke-Wulf 190s were among the best fighters Germany created in the 1940s, and with how they are set in Warplanes, the A-1 feels like a disappointing shadow of the performance capabilities of the real thing.

It was called the Butcher Bird for a reason, though clearly its the A-5 that best fits the nickname in-game, I'm looking forward to eventually getting my hands on it.

Edited by NovaTempest, 30 March 2018 - 06:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users