Thanksgiving (USA) Weekend Project (Updated 12-3-2017)

upgrade

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Bobby_Tables #1 Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:07 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

So.... since my system is getting pretty old aside from my graphics card (750Ti which I am putting into my son's PC), I decided it's time to update.....

Now, being on a strict budget limited by adding two years of Amazon gift cards to my balance, I dedicated myself to NOT exceeding my cumulative gift card balance, so this is what I came up with (The processor is a Ryzen 3 1300X, the rest is pretty obvious):

I delayed this for a week due to other stuff going on but finally got around to installing it on December 2, 2017.  

I will let you know how it works out.  I "upgraded" from an old Intel i3 2120, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a 750Ti video card.  While not a tremendous mind-blowing upgrade, this was a very very budget build yet leaving room to improve upon in the future.  

**So far, so good, game looks sharper, I dunno how, same monitor, but it looks better.  Frames still drop when low to the ground and facing AA, but not into the teens as with my old setup, it still stays above 30 which is good.  So far, frame rate seems to max at 90 when in clear skies.   Also, when switching views, I don't get those heart-stopping skips in the game like I did with my old setup.  Only a few games in, so I will let you know in a future post.  So far, so good.  Again, not a mega-gaming rig, but this game and a few others are the only ones I play, so laying down north of $1K for a computer upgrade was not something I was willing to do.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 03 December 2017 - 11:31 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #2 Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:41 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
Thanksgiving was over a month ago.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

poisonousblood #3 Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

Master Sergeant

• 705 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
although Intel announced multiple generations of processors, they had pretty much better the same capability with respect to gaming. The new generation of Intel Core i5 processors are similar to the 6th generation of i7 processors but almost 100 euro cheaper. I think the 8th generation processors are the wiser choice to buy than AMD processors. I don't know there is a overhype about AMD processors and Intel always crushes them. I always choose Intel.

GhostPrime #4 Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

People do have their own preference for hardware that's for sure. Intel CPUs are better at single core tasks and AMD multi-core. Take that as you will. Either should do the trick as long as you meet the minimum requirements for the game at the least. You can find that HERE

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

MARS_REVENANT #5 Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 22 November 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

People do have their own preference for hardware that's for sure. Intel CPUs are better at single core tasks and AMD multi-core. Take that as you will. Either should do the trick as long as you meet the minimum requirements for the game at the least. You can find that HERE

A little birdie told me the game will start to make use of multi cores...

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

khorender_1 #6 Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

Senior Airman

• 560 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 22 November 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

Thanksgiving was over a month ago.

​Only if you're  a Cannuck or ? here in the states it's tomorrow..

Edited by khorender_1, 22 November 2017 - 06:17 PM.

Zapperguy #7 Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 23 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 22 November 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

A little birdie told me the game will start to make use of multi cores...

Is that the same birdie that promised more game modes, no bombers, and clan wars years ago?

If so, that birdie was a dodo, and they're not a reliable news source as they've been extinct for a bit.

Founder of the original CLOWN clan. Haven't lost a single member in over 3 years of existence.

MARS_REVENANT #8 Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles

View PostZapperguy, on 23 November 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Is that the same birdie that promised more game modes, no bombers, and clan wars years ago?

If so, that birdie was a dodo, and they're not a reliable news source as they've been extinct for a bit.

Nope a differnt one.

Bubba_Zanetti #9 Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 23 November 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Nope a differnt one.

Probably a Cuckoo.  I'm guessing from India, since it's so fitting. "In India, cuckoos are sacred to Kamadeva, the god of desire (Hurricane, Hellcat, clan wars, end game, fixes) and longing (soon™)"

PhotoNinja101 #10 Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

Airman Basic

• 537 battles

Bummed I missed out on all of the fun before the OP was edited. I was thinking of putting together a parts list and possibly update my home system around Christmas time, was interested in what direction others had taken in updating their systems. My existing system is an i7-4790 that I have had for a few years; recently (back in October) I needed to replace my CPU cooler, and video card (went with an ASUS 1050TI OC card). Was thinking I might want to update the motherboard & cpu; and then switch to water cooling as well.

Bobby_Tables #11 Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

• 603 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I will update once I install.  Then I will be over buyers remorse.  I did this on a strict budget based on Amazon gift cards collected over the past two years.  This is pretty much the only game I play aside from some non graphics intensive games.  The other things I do such as running virtual machines had more to do with my selection.  I did not want to get into an Intel vs. AMD pee pee match because I made my choice and gosh darnit, I don't want no second guessing.  

I will update with results once I got through with it.  For now, I am cleaning an incredible amount of dust under and over my desk and rearranging my home office and installing holiday lights and the tree, etc. so lots going on.

I am interested to see if I get any improvement because my old i3 2120 and 750Ti still work well with most things that I do.  Not sure that my new budget build will do anything to move the needle, but I will let you all know.  

I don't buy i7's and 1080Ti's because I do not play GTA on ultra and this game does not warrant that type of expense IMHO.  

Bobby_Tables #12 Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:11 AM

• 603 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Running for about 3 days now and all is good.  I did not get a HUGE performance improvement (in this game, but other apps, OMG night and day) but it still is significant.  The game is much more stable and with 16GB of RAM, other processes can run while I play and it has little impact (unless it's a resource hog like Crashplan which is going away soon anyway).  

I did, as of yesterday, overclock the RAM to 2666 and that gave a bit of a boost especially in low level Ground Attack where the FPS seem to drop the most.  The Ryzen processor is heavily dependent on RAM speed to run well and I chose the 2400 rated RAM due to budget.  

I tried to overclock the processor but the game kept crashing.  I will try with a different utility as the Ryzen processors almost scream to be overclocked to a certain extent. 

All in all, if I had the Amazon credit, I would have gone with a Ryzen 5 series, but the good news is I should be able to upgrade to the next Ryzen release without buying a new motherboard.  I just got sick of Intel making motherboards obsolete 4 months after I bought the darn thing.  This is my second AMD build (did one for a home media/light gaming PC) and I am giving a big middle finger to Intel who, while I like their processors, I cannot stand how quickly they make motherboards obsolete.   

One other thing:  my main criteria is a quiet PC and this thing operates at a whisper once I tweaked the fan settings.  

Oh yeah, and word to the wise:  If you have a desktop, open up the case every 6 months or so to clean it out and check what's what.  I left mine for about 2 years and the rubber case fan holders had rotted away and my case fan was lying on top of my graphics card.  Kept the card cool, I am sure, but not really conducive to case cooling ya know?

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 07 December 2017 - 03:47 AM.

Bubba_Zanetti #13 Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBobby_Tables, on 06 December 2017 - 10:11 PM, said:

All in all, if I had the Amazon credit, I would have gone with a Ryzen 5 series, but the good news is I should be able to upgrade to the next Ryzen release without buying a new motherboard.  I just got sick of Intel making motherboards obsolete 4 months after I bought the darn thing.  This is my second AMD build (did one for a home media/light gaming PC) and I am giving a big middle finger to Intel who, while I like their processors, I cannot stand how quickly they make motherboards obsolete.   

While some truthiness to your point, new feature chipsets and new technologies are included in the motherboard updates.  NVMe connectors, USB-C, Thunderbolt 3, more PCI-E lanes, etc, etc. 

Intel's Tick-Tock strategy has lengthened the lifespan of a motherboard.  But I'm glad AMD is still around, otherwise I doubt we'd be where we are now.  But then with tablets, and cloud, this all feels dumb terminal/mainframe-ish to me lately.  But then the industry's always been cyclic.  Outsource, bring back in-house.  Centralize, decentralize.  I blame the bean counters.  My ex works at a bank in mortgages on mainframes.  They outsourced to an outfit in India a decade ago.  Many layoffs, much headaches but they forged ahead.  Then I recall she said that Indian company outsourced to China...wonder who they'll outsource to?

Bobby_Tables #14 Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:56 AM

• 603 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 06 December 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

They outsourced to an outfit in India a decade ago.  Many layoffs, much headaches but they forged ahead.  Then I recall she said that Indian company outsourced to China...wonder who they'll outsource to?

Africa my man, Africa.  It's the next China.  China and India are so, like, 2010.  

Also tagged with upgrade

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users