Conquest mode game hints for new players. Part Deux

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

comtedumas #1 Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles

1.  If you do not capture and hold the mining plant when it is on the map you will not win the match.  if there are two, you need to capture one and hold it.   its as simple as that.  not only is it 3 pts every 5 seconds, every 120 consecutive seconds its an additional 80pts dumped into the teams point total.

2.  if you are down significantly by squall time, your only chance at winning is to kill everybody on the other team.  If you are ahead at squall time and have more capped sites than the enemy, don't go getting yourself killed over an enemy cap trying to take it. All you typically need to do to secure a win in this case is to defend your already capped sites. Time is on your side. Make your enemy to come to you and fight on your terms - that is to say above your caps.

3.  Mining plants don't have air defense aircraft.  But they are a lot harder to capture, they require multirole fighters, bombers or attack aircraft to capture them within a reasonable time.  Fighters are practically useless there unless the enemy team has arrived.

4  Air defense aircraft are loosely paired up, don't turn for the first one as it goes by, wait until the second one goes by and go for that one.  but, the point of their being two is so the other one can cover each other, so you have to act fast to get ready for the one you aren't attacking.

5.  if a bot goes into the barrel roll of death, basically aim for the center of the roll, its where the mass of the aircraft is.

6.  Watch the bots, they have a preprogramed evasive pattern, learn it, and they are easier to deal with.

7.  Sometimes you have to slow down to turn faster.

8.  Use boost in spurts, not continuously.

9.  Kill planes over colored circles on mini map for most points.  Shooting down enemy planes outside the circles only sends them back to spawn. It does not score any points, (unless it is an air defense fighter.)

10.  Don't go head on with heavy fighters.

11. Lean what aircraft are what types of aircraft.

12.  Don't expend all of the ordnance carried by the aircraft on the very first capture point; the bots will do that, provided any come with that portion of the team.  Players do however have to expend all of one type to start the rearm counter, so drop/salvo all of a type (if both bombs and rockets are carried) over an area or none of it.

Uncontested garrisons & airfields can be captured quickly by just three or even two planes, but three is better; more is overkill.  Military bases and command centers need to be an all-in type of attack by the team, too few planes and it simply takes too long to capture.

14.  If team planes are respawning after being annihilated over a capture point, don't rush back to the same area; group up instead or try elsewhere.

15.  Universal ammo; use it, and if unsure of what it is, find out.​  Know its costs (in silver) and its benefits.

16.  If you start with a map where the majority of cap points (ie 2 caps north, military base or command center south) are on your side focus on holding them vs capturing the last bases. Albeit possible the odds are better to win. Have one group defend while a mix of heavies and fighters kill bombers.

17.  It doesn't take half the team to kill bombers.​ Two at most are needed.

18.  It's ok to play wingman. Keep your buddy's tail clear. Not only does it keep your team's planes in game it also allows for you to rack up some target focused kills.         

19.  Go into game settings, and change left ALT to be one-click only at the start of the match versus constantly clicking that ALT key to give more information on your enemies. Having more information like this will allow you to target real players over bots so you can prioritize targets.

20.  If you have free xp, it is better to use it for upgrading your plane versus using it to free xp your way to a higher level plane. This is so you don't "burden" your team with the usually poor stock configuration. Alternately, you also don't level up to a new plane that is beyond your competency. Things happen much faster at higher levels. I am a new player myself, so if you feel I have made any errors of judgment in my posts, feel free to point them out.

21.   Learn what F2, F3, F4 and F5 do, how they work and use them

F2 - attacking/defending base (hover reticule on cap symbol)
     F3 - calls for support
     F4 - attacking that enemy/defending that ally (hover reticule over caircraft)
     F5 - Affirmative.
22. You only need 1-2 HF to destroy a command centres bombing run, if you are any other plane, go do something else.

23.  If you need to kill a GA plane, come at it from the side and do a strafing pass, come back and repeat. If your only option is a rear attack, use your brakes, know what your stall speed is, and come in behind and under the GA. Keep in mind they may drop a bomb to ruin your day, so the strafing runs from the sides are recommended

24.  Try not to sealclub! It discourages new players and will eventually decrease the player base. If you are at any level, and you find yourself constantly on top or near the top of the leaderboard, it's time for you to move to a higher tier to compete with better players. This way, we can all reach our level of competency, allowing real players to compete at every tier versus bots, while not "strangling" lower tier play with an abundance of over-experienced players.

25.  Do not shoot at fellow team members. Accidents happen, where one plane collides with another and either causes damage or outright destroys the other plane. The player that hit you might not have the same competency level as you, or they collided by accident. Shooting at fellow team members will discourage team play in general, and might make that person quit the game entirely(particularly so if they are new to the game).

26.  If you transfer a pilot from your tech-tree plane to a premium plane, keep in mind training will occur on pilot skills only(example: engine guru etc). Transferring, for example, a 98% trained pilot to your premium will not train him to 100%. Put only 100% trained pilots into premiums.

Any more?

Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

comtedumas #2 Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles

27. After you research an upgrade, remember to 'purchase and mount' the damn thing.don't 28. 28. Forget to sell old/unneeded modules; after awhile, you can easily wind up with several million credits tied up in inventory.
29. Before you have an inventory garage sale, check the tech tree, it may be useable on another plane in that country's tree; if so, may be worth hanging on to
30. Learn to fire in bursts as soon as possible. It is very easy, at lower levels, to learn bad habits. Your machine guns can fire continuously for an extended period of time, and I know from my own first fifty games, my left mouse button was jammed in permanently. I also tended to ignore the range and open fire immediately I had a target. Instead, wait until the range indicator turns from white to red, and practice short, well-aimed bursts. Why you ask? Later on, you will get a mix of cannon and machine guns on some planes, or all cannon, or all machine guns. You will notice different firing ranges and cool-downs on your guns. Since you have already learned burst fire, you won't have to break your bad habit of mashing down the fire button, and can control cannon fire without overheating your guns. You will find that your damage output has increased as a result. This leads me to my next post...
31. Map awareness. Just like world of warships, it is very important to have good map awareness. Every now and then, make it a habit to glance at the minimap. Hit the TAB key also and look at the overall picture. Use your right mouse button to look around, especially for threats above you. You can often spot a heavy fighter early enough to completely avoid his fire. Make decisions based on how to win the game rather than heading directly where everyone else is. I am not saying you should avoid the heavy fighting; I am suggesting you take a close look at the map so you can determine the best place for you to have an impact on the game. As an example, instead of joining the massive fight at the center of the map, maybe you should go after that bomber formation, or go after that blip on the map you barely saw only to find out it was actually a player GA intent on flipping one of your teams cap points. Map awareness is key and will advance you from being a competent player to a good player.
32. Re-mapping guns. At some point in the game, your guns will be a mix of machine guns and cannon. These have different ranges and cool downs. You can go into settings and change how these are mapped in-game. As an example, you could assign your left mouse for machine guns and right mouse for cannon. If you use, for example, a nostromo keypad, you could assign these functions there. This allows you greater control of your guns cooling and range management.

33.  Always, ALWAYS set the crew switch to Accelerate Crew Training (in Hangar under Crew Tab) on Aircraft ASAP, for Premiums when you get them, for others when you've elited (i.e. everything and next tier researched).  For Premium aircraft, that's a main reason you have them. For both, if you don't do this you'll just rack up XP that can't be used on research and will cost you (lots of in my case before I realized the error) Gold to convert to Free XP for use elsewhere.  Occasionally you might need to uncheck the switch, but only if you've some pressing need to get XP on a plane to convert to free XP with Gold for use elsewhere- otherwise ACT switch default should ALWAYS be on.

34.  Don’t kill all the buildings at AA sites unless you want them to respawn, if you kill the gun and two buildings, the site will sit there and not respawn until you take the base.  

35.  Ground targets & Superiority Points

- To best help your team, identify the largest & most valuable target within a capture area and then alpha strike that structure with all ordnance if you can completely demolish it as most buildings are worth less than a plane kill.

Edited by comtedumas, 10 December 2017 - 05:55 PM.

Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

comtedumas #3 Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles
reserved for more answers

comtedumas #4 Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles

COLDDAWG’s info for new players moved up.  

TL : DR

1. Capture Control Points (CPs) to win

Special CPs are important and should be prioritized in order of:  Mining Plants (MP), Command Centers (CC), Missile Bases (MB), Airfields

2.  Fight in CP airspace for more points, you know you're in CP airspace when the CP's icon shows up in your HUD

3.  Only Ground Attack Aircraft (GAAs) and Multirole Fighters (F/A) should attack Mining Bases at first because there's no Defense AI planes.

4.  Fighters cover your attackers

5.  Dying in CP airspace affects the control/ownership of the CP, so try not to do it.

6.  Learn your keybinds and special callout keys:  F2, F3, F4, F5, and F7

F3 - calls for support  ("Defending sector XX, requesting assistance")
     F5 - Affirmative.

F7 - Get him off my tail!

7.  Alternate HUD display provides a wealth of information and should be setup for easy access.

8.  Certain planes have very good rear facing defensive guns.  Attack these planes from the side.

9.  When in a fighter or F/A, attack high to low.  Speed and altitude are life.

10.  Don't be afraid to dive and run if your plane is good at it.

11.  There are two major categories of Fighters.  "Boom and zoom" (dive and attack then straight line away) and "turn and burn" (turning fights are where you excel).

Lastly, learn who on yours and the enemy's team are AI and who are players by trying to RMB on the name of the pilot in the team list.  You can get help from players, but asking for help when it's all AI and getting frustrated gets you nowhere.

Edited by comtedumas, 25 November 2017 - 09:13 AM.

_Rumple_ #5 Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

Senior Airman

• 780 battles
This needs to be pinned, if possible. Otherwise it's going to get lost amongst other posts.

comtedumas #6 Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles

View Post_Rumple_, on 22 November 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

This needs to be pinned, if possible. Otherwise it's going to get lost amongst other posts.

I agree but who would pin it?  I haven’t seen a mod ever.  

Krautjaeger #7 Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 290 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS

View Postcomtedumas, on 22 November 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

I agree but who would pin it?  I haven’t seen a mod ever.  

You could possibly try to "report" your own thread asking for a pin? Or send a message to GhostPrime.

GhostPrime #8 Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostKrautjaeger, on 22 November 2017 - 07:16 AM, said:

You could possibly try to "report" your own thread asking for a pin? Or send a message to GhostPrime.

Pming me for questions works well if you need to get a hold of me personally. 

I like the idea of this thrad, and I'll move it to the Guides section, where I'll get a pin.  

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Colddawg #9 Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 241 battles

Special CPs are important and should be prioritized in order of:  Mining Plants (MP), Command Centers (CC), Missile Bases (MB), Airfields

2.  Fight in CP airspace for more points, you know you're in CP airspace when the CP's icon shows up in your HUD

3.  Only Ground Attack Aircraft (GAAs) and Multirole Fighters (F/A) should attack Mining Bases at first because there's no Defense AI planes.

5.  Dying in CP airspace affects the control/ownership of the CP, so try not to do it.

F5 - Affirmative.

7.  Alternate HUD display provides a wealth of information and should be setup for easy access.

8.  Certain planes have very good rear facing defensive guns.  Attack these planes from the side.

11.  There are two major categories of Fighters.  "Boom and zoom" (dive and attack then straight line away) and "turn and burn" (turning fights are where you excel).

Lastly, learn who on yours and the enemy's team are AI and who are players by trying to RMB on the name of the pilot in the team list.  You can get help from players, but asking for help when it's all AI and getting frustrated gets you nowhere.

Edited by Colddawg, 22 November 2017 - 04:35 PM.

Keep your head on the swivel.

comtedumas #10 Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles

View PostColddawg, on 22 November 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

F5 - Affirmative.

added and gave your own space.  Message 3.

Catch21 #11 Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 466 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostColddawg, on 22 November 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

Or use this mod. Puts an * in front of bot names. VERY handy to weed out the humans those who won't ever listen to you.

comtedumas #12 Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles

View PostCatch21, on 27 November 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Or use this mod. Puts an * in front of bot names. VERY handy to weed out the humans those who won't ever listen to you.

that mod works but it puts a * in front of all pilots names.  Not a game breaker.  

Catch21 #13 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 466 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Postcomtedumas, on 07 December 2017 - 07:01 AM, said:

that mod works but it puts a * in front of all pilots names. Not a game breaker.  

Just the bot names, human players don't have the * in front, so it's easy to tell them apart.

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #14 Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:32 PM

Master Sergeant

• 204 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

Ground targets & Superiority Points

- To best help your team, identify the largest & most valuable target within a capture area and then alpha strike that structure with all ordnance if you can completely demolish it as most buildings are worth less than a plane kill.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 08 December 2017 - 07:34 PM.

5801234590.png

Dru83 #15 Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

Master Sergeant

• 176 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

First of all, thanks for doing this ComteDumas.

In point 32, about the remapping of gun controls, you suggest using the right mouse button. I know that was just a hypothetical, but I think it is a very bad suggestion, because then what are you going to use to engage the mouse look?

There are a bunch of ways to remap the guns my favorite is to leave the left mouse button as fire all and set the space bar to fire only your secondary guns. In a plane with two groups of weapons it allows you to fire the machine guns while the cannons recover. The only time this can be bad is if you have a plane with 3 groups of weapons where the space bar will end up firing the second group of cannons instead of the machine guns.

comtedumas #16 Posted Yesterday, 07:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles

View PostDru83, on 10 December 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

First of all, thanks for doing this ComteDumas.

In point 32, about the remapping of gun controls, you suggest using the right mouse button. I know that was just a hypothetical, but I think it is a very bad suggestion, because then what are you going to use to engage the mouse look?

There are a bunch of ways to remap the guns my favorite is to leave the left mouse button as fire all and set the space bar to fire only your secondary guns. In a plane with two groups of weapons it allows you to fire the machine guns while the cannons recover. The only time this can be bad is if you have a plane with 3 groups of weapons where the space bar will end up firing the second group of cannons instead of the machine guns.

These are not all from me they are from many players on the forums, I don’t know about that one specifically.

Space bar is usually for drop bombs.  What do you do with that?  

Edited by comtedumas, Yesterday, 07:40 PM.

pyantoryng #17 Posted Yesterday, 09:27 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View Postcomtedumas, on 11 December 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

These are not all from me they are from many players on the forums, I don’t know about that one specifically.

Space bar is usually for drop bombs.  What do you do with that?  

There's always the B key...or you map something else for it.

Personally I remapped the Shift key for sniper and use the F key for bombsight...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users