Poll - Would you have invested resources in playing WoWP (AT/OBT/CBT/Release) if it was like update ...

Poll

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: WoWP first impression as Update 2.0 (111 members have cast votes)

Would you have invested resources in playing WoWP (AT/OBT/CBT/Release) if it was like update 2.0 originally?

1. Yes (59 votes [53.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.15%

2. No (48 votes [43.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.24%

3. Undecided (4 votes [3.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

Captain

• 41 battles
Something I would like to hear from our NA community. The resources would be time and money of course. Not that I am pushing one way or another. I just want to hear if you ran across WoWP update 2.0 "as is" originally, would you want this game as your hobby?

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 20 November 2017 - 03:13 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3121 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Ping and the Deathmatch only mode killed the original version of the game for me, waaaay back in CBT. Its hard to enjoy a PvP deathmatch when your latency is so high it takes 5 seconds for the airplane to respond to any commands given. Plus the matchmaking spread was borked (I got taken out by a Zero while flying an A4M) and the skill difference between players was so high that only two or three people per match were actually getting anything worthwhile done (and those two or three could lock down your plane for almost 30 minutes after you went down)

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Ritual__Murder #3 Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 243 battles
  • [-DEV-] -DEV-

I'm back to WoWP after a long hiatus and the only reason I haven't spent money for the game yet is I bought a few premium ships in WoWS and the Skorpion in WoT. So now I'm just waiting for some anticipated sales (Thanksgiving or Xmas) but I'll definitely buy some premium planes. Nothing higher than tier 5 though since I'm currently at tier 4 across the board. I already learned my lesson in WoT and raced into tier 8 matches only to perform abysmally and to unfairly take down the team. Unless they are "must have" unique premiums but then I promise not to play them until my skill level improves enough. And yes I promise to park my Duca Costa and Blyskawica and quit taking them out into WoWS battles (I'm tier 4 across the line). 

My premium time runs out soon. Maybe I'll renew for a year when the sale comes via WoWP to breathe some life into the community since WoT is already well established and WoWS doesn't seem to be hurting. The player base is smallest in WoWP (out of the 3) I imagine and with 2.0 may have lost some veterans. I know the money all goes into the same pool but I'm sure the marketing dept tracks where the money comes from. 

Sassover #4 Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 172 battles

One word answer: NO. I'm uninstalled after 4 straight years of playing. I have ZERO desire to play this kiddie shooter of a game. So much time, effort & money wasted on broken promises...but no more.

"The thrill is gone baby,

the thrill is gone away."

"You know I'm free,

free now baby."

-B.B. King

pyantoryng #5 Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1678 battles

Would've been much easier to collect tokens for 6 months of prem...

But I might have quit earlier because of no anniversaries...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

hoom #6 Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3995 battles

For sure.

I had a go at some point in Beta & I think a bit later, had no fun, 2.0 is great.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

jack_wdw #7 Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1178 battles
nope.

I started out here one year ago. (actually i was already here for a very short visit, 5 years ago, but with the tiers mixed from I to X, it was really unplayable, so i left real quick)
Like almost everyone, i've tried out WT first, after a week there I got so fed up with gamemode and lack of gamepadcontrols.
So i took my journey a bit further and I came back to check if WowP was still the unplayable game which i encountered 4 years back.
I was really surprised to discover 1.9, it worked instantly with my gamepad, it offered a simple gamemode that i really enjoyed. (simple as in kill all enemies and you win)
It was definitely arcade, but it gave somehow a real feel of flying.
I got hooked to it in an instant and played it for 2-3 hours every day since.
So that's already some time i've invested + add something of $200 money i've invested over a year.

To get back to your question.
If I had no memory of 1.9 and i would come across this game that is unplayable with my gamepad and its offering only  conquest mode, would you invest time and money in it? Still a nope.

hawkeyededic #8 Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
In all honesty yes, the game right now is more polished then when I joined it back in 2012, and five years down the road, who here can accurately predict what will happen, just like back in 2012 during CBT. Back then the WG line was No bombers ever. Well look at it now,

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

Moonrider #9 Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 908 battles

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 20 November 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

One word answer: NO. I'm uninstalled after 4 straight years of playing. I have ZERO desire to play this kiddie shooter of a game. So much time, effort & money wasted on broken promises...but no more.

Yet you're still here in the forum to whine about it.
Go away.
Don't go away mad, just Go. Away. 
Here's a example of how much I care about your whines.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

Conal_Cochran #10 Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 28 battles
If they come back with a deathmatch mode of somekind without respawns I may rethink this but right now no I wouldnt invest in it. 

cobra_marksman #11 Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4283 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 20 November 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Ping and the Deathmatch only mode killed the original version of the game for me, waaaay back in CBT. Its hard to enjoy a PvP deathmatch when your latency is so high it takes 5 seconds for the airplane to respond to any commands given. Plus the matchmaking spread was borked (I got taken out by a Zero while flying an A4M) and the skill difference between players was so high that only two or three people per match were actually getting anything worthwhile done (and those two or three could lock down your plane for almost 30 minutes after you went down)

It was never 30 min's, but more like 10 min's.( length of battles ) That being said, you always had the option to " Return to Hanger "&choose another plane. Then que into another battle match, & you would always be in battle in less then 2 minutes. Also in those matches, you had some control in what was going on. Here your at the mercy of what bots they que you in with. I have never lost so many battles on 2.0 where I've have come in first or 2nd place. It almost seems like within the first 5 minutes, ( based on your DUMB BOTS ) how the battles going to unfold, no matter....what you do ....or how you do it.

SpiritFoxMY #12 Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3121 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postcobra_marksman, on 20 November 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

It was never 30 min's, but more like 10 min's.( length of battles ) That being said, you always had the option to " Return to Hanger "&choose another plane. Then que into another battle match, & you would always be in battle in less then 2 minutes. Also in those matches, you had some control in what was going on. Here your at the mercy of what bots they que you in with. I have never lost so many battles on 2.0 where I've have come in first or 2nd place. It almost seems like within the first 5 minutes, ( based on your DUMB BOTS ) how the battles going to unfold, no matter....what you do ....or how you do it.

I'm the kind of person who likes to obsessively grind a particular airplane/vehicle rather than constantly swap between them in a session, so meh. I prefer the respawns that let me continue to grind them throughout a battle rather than waiting for von Richtofen and Billy Bishop over there to finish their honor duel to the death. Also I never had a very large hanger so I ended up sitting around twiddling my thumbs quite a bit anyhoo. 

And the idea that you had control of those matches was an illusion - YOU never had control unless you were top tier; the best of the best, the ace of aces, on the field, because THEY were the ones who determined who won or lost. The rest of us were merely spectators and tally marks to be quickly disposed off so that the elite few could get on to their REAL game, which was duelling each other. I'm not against that - fair's fair if you're good enough. I just don't enjoy it all that much. Maybe one good match then a string of frustrating early exits.

And, really, let's be honest - that's what all the bellyaching is about. It's about that loss of status that all the "Vets" are experiencing. Suddenly you're at the mercy of the team effort instead of charging off on dawn patrol to do battle with the dreaded enemy Ace who has eluded you so long. And while its frustrating to do really, really well and still lose (I've just come off a string of eight losses tonight with personal scores ranging from 8k - 14k CP), I'm happy to take that as the price to pay for not having to deal with being headhunted and curbstomped again and again and again by some guy who's put in 10k hours over the last five years and is determined to prove it.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Blucraft #13 Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1475 battles

Yes!  I absolutely hated the previous mode...it's actually enjoyable to me now :great:.

-Blu 

Zapperguy #14 Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 20 November 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

I've been here since CBT in 2012. Battles have never been more than 15 minutes and very few ever lasted that long - the locking down your plane for 30 minutes argument is moot.

Your bad ping and 5 second latency was related to your location to the server, your ISP, and/or the hardware you were running. That's not the previous versions' fault.

There was a larger tier spread, and some players were indeed very skilled. That simply meant a steeper learning curve if you wanted to play a competitive flying game where individual skills could carry a battle.

It doesn't sound like that's the type of game you were seeking. To me, your post says, "I had had a rig/connection that couldn't handle the game. it was hard, and other players were better than me; so, I stopped playing."

Many of us loved it, and had 10s of thousands of battles as proof of our dedication.

As for the poll: No, I would not have stuck around in CBT, if the 2.0 mode had been the only one available. I wouldn't have stuck around for 5 years without a first person camera mod either. I just can't mod the badness out of 2.0

:honoring:

Tuesdaysgone #15 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
No vote, go back to 1-4, and keep the 2-0 for the new players, this ain't rocket brain surgery...

"Virgil Caine is my name, and I served on the Danville train"
Not Scared to play SOLO!

Krautjaeger #16 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 753 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS
Previous iterations didn't interest me one bit, 2.0 is wholesome casual fun. Preparing to dump wads of cash and time on this game already. :great:

paradat #17 Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 246 battles
  • [TBW] TBW

Wow, that is a really good question.

So going back to launch if the game was like 2.0 I can say that my odds of investing would have been much higher but we still had War Thunder that I would have likely still have considered it to be better. So hmm.... for me at the time I think I would have invested more just because of the synergy with World of Tanks. I might of even tried to play War Thunder and World of Warplanes at the same time.

If the accounts were truly unified Gold, Credits and Free XP then I would have played Wowp for sure.

Fast forward to today. I now play World of Warships and have come back to more World of Tanks with some World of War Planes in the mix. I no longer play War Thunder but it still has an appeal. If WG ever really messed things up then I would head back to War Thunder with out any reservations. I should also add when I say War Thunder it is really just the Air battles, I barley scratched the surface of the ground battles when they first came out. I also played a bit of Armored Warfare as well.

Edited by paradat, 20 November 2017 - 05:52 PM.

​The Sea is full of Wolves. Lone Wolves Clans

MelBrooks #18 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 12 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
WG never has gotten this title right and they never will given the past four years. The entire 1.xxx saga offered only one game mode for pvp, and look today, one mode for pvp with bots mixed in. You can see the real difference with developers as WoWS demonstrates. Co-op battles, random battles, special contests, ranked battles, and now clan battles. Their developers are very in tune to the marketing appeal of gamers in NA, Europe, and Asia. World of Warplanes does not have the same development team and suffers greatly for it.

StoptheViolins #19 Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1989 battles
Actually the DM and therefore the economy killed it for me way back.  I mean every tree has poop planes so getting stuck in a match loaded with uber planes pretty much means a short match which means poor xp and poor credit earning.  The current version isn't perfect (yeah limit respawns to 3-4, ditch the squall line, no first person is getting to me esp on GA's, few other things...) but it's a lot more team oriented than previous versions which quickly broke down into 10v5 matches.  The missions in 2.0 could be re-worked to be devoid of tier since I feel so dirty dropping down into a t4 match just to club some seals to get a mission done.  I'll feel the same once I hit T8 in most lines.

Colddawg #20 Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1882 battles

The poor flight controls and lack of directive killed it for me.  I couldn't stand needing to lead my leading shot on an aircraft (aiming in front of where you needed to aim in front of an aircraft to hit it) where often times the enemy plane wasn't even on my screen in a turn fight.

As for an arcade game that doesn't have the forgiveness of WoT and WoWS I would say that the single spawn mode is mostly what killed pre 2.0 game play. It's no fun to spawn in, get jumped by a much better plane/player/player and plane after 1-2 minutes of trying to just get to the fight.  There was no reward, no skill improvement, and nothing keeping the player in this game that had come out 2+ years after WT.

Keep your head on the swivel.

Also tagged with Poll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users