Looking for some opinions and advice

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

SpiritFoxMY #61 Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

I've made it to the Batplane and OHMYGODTHISISSOAWESOME. 

Its a huge difference from the earlier 190s in that its basically a light fighter. Its fast, maneuverable, has light fighter boost and hitpoints. Its ceiling is a nice change from the Dora and its guns... I free-XP'd to the revolver cannons and they are HILARIOUSLY PEW PEW. They require a lot of trigger discipline because they overheat like crazy, but they make up for that by having ridiculous DPS on top of their excellent accuracy. Frankly, if you've made it this far into the 190 tree, trigger discipline is second nature, but... its just so satisfying to watch your opponent melt in front of you. They're cheap to run Universal on too - where the Dora takes a whopping 41k silver per flight to rearm, the little BV does it in 10.5k. On my third flyout with this, I broke 16k CP and over 13k XP. 

I could get used to this.

The only complaint I have is that it loses the whole "multirole" part of being a multirole. As the Dora, I have the choice of killing fighters, bombers and ground targets. The BV is very much a light fighter - its revolvers overheat so fast I have to wonder how useful they'll actually be against bomber formations with their big globs of hitpoints. Its low hitpoints means it cannot afford to hang around either. Haven't tried strafing yet and tbh I don't expect much down low - this thing is a light fighter, pure and simple. With some rockets strapped to it. Feels like a TIE Fighter, so that's a bonus.

Still keeping the Dora - going to grind out the Ta 152 as well although I doubt I'll get it. 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

pyantoryng #62 Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 892 battles

For the Blohm und Voss multiroles, think of the multirole designation as permit to mount the R4M rockets. They have limited use these days, but you sure can wipe someone thinking your red health plane is easy food out head-on...

Those R4Ms are crap at attacking ground targets so don't use them that way unless you really have to, and only shoot at nearly destroyed targets.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SpiritFoxMY #63 Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 17 December 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

For the Blohm und Voss multiroles, think of the multirole designation as permit to mount the R4M rockets. They have limited use these days, but you sure can wipe someone thinking your red health plane is easy food out head-on...

Those R4Ms are crap at attacking ground targets so don't use them that way unless you really have to, and only shoot at nearly destroyed targets.

Question: what should my upgrades to this plane be? I was running: Engine Tuning, Gyroscopic Gunsight and Improved Radiators on my Dora. My pilot has Fire Resistance and Marksman I and II. So far all of this has been transferred off my Dora (which I specc'd for accuracy to help with the massive differences in weapons mounted all across the front of the plane. I like the idea of Engine Tuning and Gyroscopic Gunsight for the Batplane, but I don't think radiators would work as the boost is too short and the only time I'd idle my throttle is as part of the whole pulsing (A - S) technique to turn tighter. I don't know if the radiators will make a difference in how often I can pulse my boost in a turn fight. 

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 18 December 2017 - 03:00 AM.

pyantoryng #64 Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 892 battles

I use my old rocket spec from 1.9 from back when the R4Ms were fingers of death and I use only noncomplex stuff (Tuning, Gunsight, and Ordnance sight for maximum head-on performance of the R4M) on my BV210 (and 212) so take that with a gigantic grain of salt.

Radiator has limited use now that the idle engine hotkey also deploy flaps...so I'd say get something else in its place.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SpiritFoxMY #65 Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

Right now I'm running lightweight airframe for a bit more turning capacity since I haven't unlocked the rockets yet.

Anyone have an opinion of the J8M Shusui premium? I'm wondering if it'll be any good against the annoying RB-17 orbiters

LMG #66 Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 793 battles

Actually, I'm yet to find a proper bomber player that can flip caps consistently enough. The most I've seen was one that got a bombkill on me once in a game after he rushed to our side's Airbase at the start of a battle. I do know that AI bombers seem incapable of really getting anything done :sceptic: (kinda like an extreme version of GAA bots)

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #67 Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

So I unlocked the R4Ms last night... and they're pretty meh. I mean, they do SOME damage, but I didn't find them really great. :/ they're wildly inaccurate and each rocket only deals a small amount of damage. I got myself killed in a head on because I forgot they were on cooldown.

Four volleys of six - and they spray wildly. I wonder if the ordnance sight will help

SpiritFoxMY #68 Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

So I gave up on the R4Ms for now -.-; I hate those damn things so much. The delay between trigger pull and launch is execrable, the rockets fly out like they were being fired by some anime robot and they don't even do much damage to boot.

I've died SO many times trying to get them to work. I'll leave them off my plane until the patch removes the maneuverability penalty for them

SpiritFoxMY #69 Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

Today. I got. The 265.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :izmena:

This thing is yet another barrelful of yoks after the BATPLANE. After the horror of the Stuka and the grind on the 88P, this thing is so goddamn funny. I'm enjoying it.

SpiritFoxMY #70 Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

So...uh... Bombers. I got a Ju 88A and a Blenhiem IV in a santa bundle last night and...

How do I play them? They can fly really, really, really high, but they still can get picked off by heavy Flak, especially those around Missile Bases. I'm also realizing that I can't just hold down the drop button as that will result in about 50% of my bombs missing (in the 88A at least)  from 3.4k meters, even on a diagonal run on the largest target in the cap.  Their bombs reload really fast as well, and they actually feel reasonably maneuverable. But the 88A isn't an A-26 and can't operate down low without getting eaten alive, so how should I play them? Rain death from on high on light targets like Barracks to try to flip them faster than the enemy can cap? Or go for the hardened targets that my teammates will have trouble getting at? 

pyantoryng #71 Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 892 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 19 December 2017 - 11:16 PM, said:

So I unlocked the R4Ms last night... and they're pretty meh. I mean, they do SOME damage, but I didn't find them really great. :/ they're wildly inaccurate and each rocket only deals a small amount of damage. I got myself killed in a head on because I forgot they were on cooldown.

Four volleys of six - and they spray wildly. I wonder if the ordnance sight will help

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 21 December 2017 - 01:39 AM, said:

So I gave up on the R4Ms for now -.-; I hate those damn things so much. The delay between trigger pull and launch is execrable, the rockets fly out like they were being fired by some anime robot and they don't even do much damage to boot.

I've died SO many times trying to get them to work. I'll leave them off my plane until the patch removes the maneuverability penalty for them

You really need that rocket skill to effectively use aerial rocket...it adds a proximity fuze to the rockets making them much easier to hit with. Ordnance sight opinion differs, but I use them on mine, gives tight enough grouping exclusively for head-on, erases anything with less than 1000HP. Demo. Expert is an option to consider for pilots exclusive to this line to slightly soup up the R4M's blast...

While the whole point of the Batplane family is being nimble R4M delivery platforms, you don't need to actively use them, just save them for anyone foolish enough to try head-on with you and rely on revolver cannons (which is plenty powerful) for offense.

BTW, how do Ju 88A use its bomblets? Five per click?

Edited by pyantoryng, 21 December 2017 - 05:44 PM.

LMG #72 Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 793 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 21 December 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

Today. I got. The 265.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :izmena:

This thing is yet another barrelful of yoks after the BATPLANE. After the horror of the Stuka and the grind on the 88P, this thing is so goddamn funny. I'm enjoying it.

Me 265 is quite the plane when you get the hang of it :izmena:. Too bad you didn't like the Ju 88 P, I did keep mine around
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #73 Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 21 December 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

BTW, how do Ju 88A use its bomblets? Five per click?

Actually no. Four a click.

I think I'm getting the hang of dropping and how to maximize damage. Also the bomb sight upgrade helps.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 22 December 2017 - 06:47 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #74 Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

I was debating if I wanted to put up a new thread but I figured I'll just tag it here; as much a rant as questions about what I'm doing and where I'm going.

1. 109Z - I've been playing this a little now; unlocked the quad MK108s. My two biggest gripes about this plane are the spread of the guns and the lack of Radiators. I'm a little too used to my standard 190 attack pattern and the inability to recharge my boost rapidly grates on me in this thing moreso than any other and its mostly down to the guns

The quad MK108 30mms are incredibly frustrating to use because of their inaccuracy. In the Dora, Me 410 and Me 265 this is covered up by the presence of additional 13 and 20mm guns but in the Zwilling the low rate of fire and massive dispersion are painfully noticeable.  My question is this: is the Zwilling's gun performance sub-par because they're spread out along a broad area or will I experience this kind of frustration in the 262 as well? I've had planes seemingly fly in between my shots and even attacking bomber flights I need to get the broad side of the target to land all four shots. I'm hoping that with the 262s guns more tightly grouped together this will be less of an issue?

2. XP-58 bots - SWEET FURRY JEEBUS I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS PISSED AT SOMETHING SINCE FACING THE HETZER IN '12. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I've been one-shot over and over and over in every game that has had one of these monsters in it. Taking them down doesn't work very well either because they can boost away easily and they have quad 50 cal in the tail which shreds my Batplane. I don't know if its the lag or there's something up with the damage model but twin-boom planes seem to be harder to hit than most and that just makes the Chain Lightning all the more vexing to deal with. How do the rest of you handle this flying "I win" button?

3. Actually, on the subject of bots - is there a threshold which you cross where the bots go from "retarded" to "has been playing WoWp for a few months now"? Maybe I've just been having a bad day but I was being curbstomped all day and half of that has been down to bots being more vicious and aggressive than seems normal. At the least I noticed far less idiot behavior like straightening out while under attack or losing interest in me after a few turns. Also; my bots seem to have suddenly lost interest in bombers... which isn't always a good thing I'm finding.

4.  I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get the hang of the R4M. So far, its only ever been useful in suicidal head on passes. I use it so rarely that I'm wondering if the Ordnance Targeting upgrade is worthwhile or if I should just strip it out for something else. But the tier X BV is a flying rocket carrier - not learning to use these weapons seems to kinda nullify the whole reason for the plane. So how should I put this contraption to use? Do they have proximity warheads or are they pure on-impact weapons

5. Yeah... just been having a terrible day today. I don't know if something has been tweaked, if there are just more veteran players on the server right now or if I've just allowed myself to get a little slack in my Teutonic Efficiency after indulging in American and Chinese premiums. But the XP-58s.... hoo boy. 

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users