Looking for some opinions and advice

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

LMG #41 Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1984 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 26 November 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Thanks guys.

I'm probably too in love with my 190 A-5 to give these GAAs a fair shake - I do prefer them over the Soviet GAAs at the moment and the 88P isn't a bad airplane even with the stock 37s. 

I'm learning which targets have the most value as well - seems like there's always a hardened cluster of buildings in the cap that grants a disproportionate amount of cap points and that's the best place to lay some eggs or send some shots downrange. The 37s overheat too much to take this cluster out in a single pass, though. Hopefully the 50 will do better - I'm saving up XP to get that.

The 50mm cannon is a straight up upgrade over the 37s in every practical way. The one thing I'd say the 37s outperform the 50 is air-to-air combat since you fire 2 bullets instead of 1, so it's more likely that at least one of them will connect, and even then it's arguable which is truly better in that regard :sceptic:
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Wombatmetal #42 Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 949 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostLMG, on 26 November 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

The 50mm cannon is a straight up upgrade over the 37s in every practical way. The one thing I'd say the 37s outperform the 50 is air-to-air combat since you fire 2 bullets instead of 1, so it's more likely that at least one of them will connect, and even then it's arguable which is truly better in that regard :sceptic:

I find the 50 easier to hit air to air. It's center aligned and has the better ROF. Just works better for me

SpiritFoxMY #43 Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2734 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Well, so I finally got my hands on long-nosed Dora... and holy crap is she a flaming turd right out of the box. Checking her stats in the World of Warplanes official site, she should be one of the most powerful planes of her tier, but mein gott is she a poop inferno stock. TWO, get it, TWO 20mms stock. That's it. She has the firepower of an Oscar at tier 7 The 13mm MGs are unlocked but you need to shovel in an additional 55k silver on top of the airplane's purchase price and it takes a further 14k XP to unlock the second set of 20mms to bring her firepower up to the same level as the A-5 at tier 6. She's only slightly faster (by 10kmph) and climbs just s smidge better, but I'm going to have to empty my entire stash of free XP getting her up to scratch. 

Just...wow.

88P's 50mm and every other upgrade is going to have to wait until I get Dora kitted up.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

pyantoryng #44 Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

At least you can use those 3cms on Me 265 when you get around to it...or vice versa...

The mainline Focke-Wulf family had never been forgiving planes...you need the correct mindset and a steeled resolution to get through it...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

LMG #45 Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1984 battles
Some planes are a torture to fly stock. Most notably the tier IV GAAs with only small machine guns and a handful of bombs

SpiritFoxMY #46 Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2734 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postpyantoryng, on 27 November 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

At least you can use those 3cms on Me 265 when you get around to it...or vice versa...

The mainline Focke-Wulf family had never been forgiving planes...you need the correct mindset and a steeled resolution to get through it...

I'm just hoping the Batplanes are worth it. Dora looks like it'll be a looooong grind

pyantoryng #47 Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:36 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 28 November 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

I'm just hoping the Batplanes are worth it. Dora looks like it'll be a looooong grind

Going for the bats? They are certainly worth it (...though it was one of the most recent addition to the tech tree and by the time I started it I already had R4M and all the engines for it)...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

StoptheViolins #48 Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:29 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1809 battles
Could be worse - could be the Jug line.

SpiritFoxMY #49 Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2734 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

So, today I took the Dora out on her first spin. I'd sunk every credit and Free XP I'd stockpiled to this point into upgrading her with her full load of guns (13/20/20) and her fuselage upgrade. Just a bit more to the second engine...

...and ran into a maximum uptier with something like 5 jets on each team.

Needless to say it was a slaughter, although I managed to come in second on the team anyway with about 4.5k CP. 

Without the upgraded engine, she just couldn't handle her own tier, let alone jets. Didn't help we were on one of those godawful alpine maps that start you in the middle of the orange zone for most planes. Her firepower was as expected from the 190 A-5, but that was with an almost 200k investment in silver on top of the 1.36m you need just to get the plane. Bottom line - if there's a plane that you need to Free XP through, this is it.

Once I'd Free XP'd the second engine, however, things improved quite dramatically. Second match was an all-7 game and I knocked it out of the park with 10k CP and top of the team...against a horde of bots, so not so good. But, still - she felt better immediately with the second engine. On a more even footing. I think, fully upgraded, she'll be a beauty. Just... for sanity's sake, just Free XP her out of stock config; before getting this plane, make sure you have about an additional 400k Silver on top of the purchase price and an something like 40k Free XP lying around. She's an XP sink, but I think the payout will be worth it.

Also, I pulled in a top of the team 8k match in the 88P against a partially human team, so that went well too. Starting to get a bit more of a hang of GAAs - or at least the Junkers: Scoot around and solo cap Barracks, Depots and other cheap n' cheerful caps and basically annoy the bejeezus out of the enemy team, forcing them to divert resources to hunt you down and defend otherwise secure cap points. Don't know how much better the Soviet GAAs will be at this but if the Germans are faster and have more sustainability in their big guns/faster reloading bombs, then this is a line that's suited for those kinds of backdoor plays. 

pyantoryng #50 Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:26 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

The early jet encounter experience is intimidating...just because they are jets. Once you get to them, you wonder why they won't perform, and you understand, they they aren't THAT powerful in their thrust, unlike the true jet age jets at T9 and beyond...the majority of T8 are still props, but they are at the pinnacle of props technology and can compete with those early jets.

With more experience the "jet fear" will go...

LMG #51 Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1984 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 28 November 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

The early jet encounter experience is intimidating...just because they are jets. Once you get to them, you wonder why they won't perform, and you understand, they they aren't THAT powerful in their thrust, unlike the true jet age jets at T9 and beyond...the majority of T8 are still props, but they are at the pinnacle of props technology and can compete with those early jets.

With more experience the "jet fear" will go...

Personally I fear their guns more than their engines :ohmy:

pyantoryng #52 Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

View PostLMG, on 29 November 2017 - 06:06 AM, said:

Personally I fear their guns more than their engines :ohmy:

Yes, they indeed carry some formidable weapons (Yak-15's two NR-23 is not to be trifled while others are quite self-explanatory).

SpiritFoxMY #53 Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2734 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I've been pottering around in the Dora and 88P as well as my newly acquired Il-2. I must say, I'll miss the wallop of the 5cm PAK on the 88P; the IL-2 is a good plane, but its bombs and rockets just don't reload very fast. Its all about target selection and knowing the amount of firepower each weapon has to maximize damage. The 5cm PAK just does consistent moderate damage which I like. It's a disappointing AA weapon, if only because it doesn't pack as much of a wallop as its difficulty in use suggests - it takes 4 hits to kill an Il-2. Still - between it and the twin 3.7s, I'll pick the 5cm anyday for AA and AG.

I also had a taste of the 265. I was flying the Dora and pounced on one of them - I didn't realize it was player controlled and so got the shock of my life when it turned in hard on me and opened up with everything it had. Nearly blew me away and then he proceeded to turn with me and almost managed to force a second head on. I finally managed to roll in on his tail and shoot him down but it was a damn close-run thing; I had 2 HP left after that encounter. I will admit to getting the scare of my life.

Haven't seen many jets since my first encounter. Maybe I just don't acknowledge them much anymore - with my Dora fully upgraded, its a really fine airplane that can take on jets in their arena. The only thing I haven't made up my mind about is the twin 30mms. They pack a punch...when they hit, but they're slow firing, have a totally separate trajectory and seem to have even worse accuracy than the 20s. I'm not sure if having the quad 20s would be a better deal - less per hit, but more accurate and with a longer fire time. Seems like every German plane graduates to these 30s, though. 

The Dora is a really, really nice plane when fully upgraded. And it carries enough ordnance to actually make a difference in ground attack - its twin rockets and 250pd bomb allow it to take out one armored building cluster in a single pass. I'm willing to call it a true multi-role in that its a great bomber and strike fighter killer, a useful light attack and an effective boom-n-zoom fighter.

LMG #54 Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1984 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 02 December 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

I've been pottering around in the Dora and 88P as well as my newly acquired Il-2. I must say, I'll miss the wallop of the 5cm PAK on the 88P; the IL-2 is a good plane, but its bombs and rockets just don't reload very fast. Its all about target selection and knowing the amount of firepower each weapon has to maximize damage. The 5cm PAK just does consistent moderate damage which I like. It's a disappointing AA weapon, if only because it doesn't pack as much of a wallop as its difficulty in use suggests - it takes 4 hits to kill an Il-2. Still - between it and the twin 3.7s, I'll pick the 5cm anyday for AA and AG.

The 50mm cannon does hit very, VERY hard. The problem is that GAAs have tons of health and the cannon itself does not have any sort of "aim assist" as the ones fighters use, making them miss a lot more vs anything that can move (they even miss vs some ground targets). That said, I think the DPS calculations that are displayed are wrong. My IL-8's rear gunner supposedly has 120 DPS, but when I shoot at enemies I deal about 5 damage per hit with a rate of fire of about 4-5 shots per second, which should be at most 25 DPS :amazed:

pyantoryng #55 Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

You can use those 3cms on Me 265 if you want to go up there later on...but yes, MK 108 sucks.

...and the 250kg is equivalent or exceed 500lb, pretty much the largest bomb most any planes not advanced Ilyushins can carry.

SpiritFoxMY #56 Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2734 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postpyantoryng, on 02 December 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

You can use those 3cms on Me 265 if you want to go up there later on...but yes, MK 108 sucks.

...and the 250kg is equivalent or exceed 500lb, pretty much the largest bomb most any planes not advanced Ilyushins can carry.

Whoops - I forgot that Germany uses metric  :P 250kg = 500lb sounds about right for a single powerful bomb. 

I'm slowly learning how to use the MK108 in short, close range bursts. It isn't too bad, but I'm still dying to get my pilot up to Marksman II for that extra 5% reduction in dispersion and 10% increase in accuracy against maneuvering targets.

SpiritFoxMY #57 Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2734 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 02 December 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

The 50mm cannon does hit very, VERY hard. The problem is that GAAs have tons of health and the cannon itself does not have any sort of "aim assist" as the ones fighters use, making them miss a lot more vs anything that can move (they even miss vs some ground targets). That said, I think the DPS calculations that are displayed are wrong. My IL-8's rear gunner supposedly has 120 DPS, but when I shoot at enemies I deal about 5 damage per hit with a rate of fire of about 4-5 shots per second, which should be at most 25 DPS :amazed:

Fair enough. One thing I find annoying about it is that often it seems to pass straight through my target without damaging it. Maybe its just the ballistics or lack of the auto aim function but I've poured round after round head on into an IL-2 and had only 3 - 4 connect.

HoIo #58 Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1336 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 November 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

Hi there,

So I've been playing WoWp for... a couple of weeks now, on and off and I figure since I've hit the tier 6 credit bump and there's precious little on the forums regarding most of the lines I'm grinding, I thought I'd reach out for some opinions and advice:

1. So I'm currently pushing the Focke Wulf tree and so far I've read nothing but oaths against it. I'm enjoying the 190 V1 so far, but where does it - objectively - stand in the meta? How about the rest of the tree (particularly the choice between the FW light jets and the BV multiroles)?

2. In the 190 V1, I try to never go below 500ft, which renders my bombs kinda useless in most cases since I'm usually too high or too fast to make use of them. Should I demount them or is the penalty for having them on so small that I might as well keep them for the rare occasions I find myself low over a cap without a bandit on my six?

3. There's a decent chance that sometime in a fight, I'll be low with a bandit on my six. What's the best way for a 190 pilot to scrape pesky doom flies off my tail? Turning ain't gonna work fo' sho'.

4. I'm also grinding the British heavy fighter line and am loving me the Brokenfighter. Is the Brokenfighter the best there is there though? None of the others have any tail gunners. 

5. Also, how do the German heavies stack against the British heavies? They seem to be the weaker lot with fewer guns and hitpoints

6. Ground attackers: I've been agonizing about this a lot. I've tried the Soviet line and while its funny as hell flattening an entire base by myself what killed the line for me was the long lonely journies back to the front after getting shot down (and the lack of tail gunners from t4 - 5) I've been thinking of the German line, but it doesn't appear to have the same base mangling ability. And how does a German GA handle having persistent killer gnats on  their tails.

7. For a 190 jumped by a Yak or a Spit at altitude, what's the best evasive maneuver? Nose over and go straight down or snap roll in the opposite direction and try to boost climb under their guns?

8. What's the significance of the orange altitude indicator?

9. FW.56 Stösser - is it worth it? I would like a decent premium at lower levels if only because I prefer puppy-kicking for modest amounts of silver and a training plane for the possibly large number of Luftwaffe pilots I'll accumulate. But the package is nearly RM100 with 3k gold and a 30 day premium which I'm unlikely to utilize

Thanks for your replies :p jolly decent community you have here

I really do have the confidence that someone has already said what I will, but as a FW line lover, I naturally have to give my two cents. You're at the Tier V. I hated the Tier V. Absolutely, irrevocably despised it. I still did well in it, but my not having fun in it defeated the purpose of doing well in it. I just really did not like it, not enough firepower to strafe in the middle of a murder ball and get away with 1 or 2 kills. 

Now we get to the tier VI... Whoo boy, I only sold it because the tier VII is even better. Firepower that'll just make you wish all your planes had it. GAs? No problem. HFs? Play your cards right, and you can nuke them as they dive you. Fighters? Ehh, don't get into a turn fight and you'll be fine. 

Some tips I can offer is to completely dislocate yourself from the flow of murder balls and Turn N' Burn meta. You sit back, let others go and do their thing, and you go in and assassinate and clean up. You must be akin to an assassin when playing this plane. If you do not kill your target in the run through the ball, do not expect to live. It is that kind of line. As far as Tier VIII and up go, I actually can't offer too much in the way of advice and tips since I personally am only at the Ta 152. I can however say that the division goes like this: If you want more maneuverable crafts, go BVP (keep in mind the tier X is the apex philosophy of strafing murder balls though); if you want more of the speed that the FW line has (more notable when diving), the FW 252 line seems to be the way to go (and it ultimately retains that philosophy at tier X). That's about all I'll offer, since I have a few tricks I like to keep up my own sleeves... Though I'm certain you'll pick them up along the way :teethhappy:

-Gets 8th in average experience per game-

"Hey guys, I'm in the top 10 :trollface:"

"What about your win rate"

"Oh we don't need to talk about that do we...? Right?"

SpiritFoxMY #59 Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2734 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostHoIo, on 03 December 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

I really do have the confidence that someone has already said what I will, but as a FW line lover, I naturally have to give my two cents. You're at the Tier V. I hated the Tier V. Absolutely, irrevocably despised it. I still did well in it, but my not having fun in it defeated the purpose of doing well in it. I just really did not like it, not enough firepower to strafe in the middle of a murder ball and get away with 1 or 2 kills. 

Now we get to the tier VI... Whoo boy, I only sold it because the tier VII is even better. Firepower that'll just make you wish all your planes had it. GAs? No problem. HFs? Play your cards right, and you can nuke them as they dive you. Fighters? Ehh, don't get into a turn fight and you'll be fine. 

Some tips I can offer is to completely dislocate yourself from the flow of murder balls and Turn N' Burn meta. You sit back, let others go and do their thing, and you go in and assassinate and clean up. You must be akin to an assassin when playing this plane. If you do not kill your target in the run through the ball, do not expect to live. It is that kind of line. As far as Tier VIII and up go, I actually can't offer too much in the way of advice and tips since I personally am only at the Ta 152. I can however say that the division goes like this: If you want more maneuverable crafts, go BVP (keep in mind the tier X is the apex philosophy of strafing murder balls though); if you want more of the speed that the FW line has (more notable when diving), the FW 252 line seems to be the way to go (and it ultimately retains that philosophy at tier X). That's about all I'll offer, since I have a few tricks I like to keep up my own sleeves... Though I'm certain you'll pick them up along the way :teethhappy:

Didn't you smoke me a few times today? :P

Thanks for the tips! I still keep the A-5 in my hanger, even though I don't have the pilot for it. Enjoying the D-9 so far but still a little leery about the MK108. Learning to lead with it a little better now, so my overall DPS is up.

I got tag-teamed by a Tigercat/Gustav combo on the Alpine central rocket map. That wasn't fun - the Tigercat could keep up with me in a boost run and the Gustav kept me off his tail when dogfighting. In hindsight I should have boomed the Gustav first - all three times - but in my defense, he was hiding in the clouds. First time I didn't realize they were working as a pair. Second time I hurt the Tigercat, but then the Gustav locked onto me and I nailed me in a downward spiral. Third time, I got a clean boom, but the Tigercat ran me down in the zoom and nailed me when I tried looping back.

Playing against human pilots, the large calibre weapons are a bit of a handicap since you're far less likely to get a clean shot at them as you are against the bots (who inexplicably straighten out after a bit). Also humans have a tendency to have a hard lock on you and will try to run you down compared to the bots who tend to lose interest after a while; it makes a human pilot more vulnerable if you have a wingman to take advantage of that, but I typically fly alone, so I have to trust someone else is going to bounce my pursuers. 

HoIo #60 Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1336 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 03 December 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Playing against human pilots, the large calibre weapons are a bit of a handicap since you're far less likely to get a clean shot at them as you are against the bots (who inexplicably straighten out after a bit). Also humans have a tendency to have a hard lock on you and will try to run you down compared to the bots who tend to lose interest after a while; it makes a human pilot more vulnerable if you have a wingman to take advantage of that, but I typically fly alone, so I have to trust someone else is going to bounce my pursuers. 

And this is what honestly keeps people from achieving 10k+ scores. You're not flying to or at least shouldn't be completely annihilate the enemy team on your own. You yourself must do as much damage as possible, and sticking onto a human pilot for no other real reason than to kill the human pilot is what kills people's scores, especially if the pilot refuses to die. I've wasted someone's time on me for over a minute and they lost the game effectively off of that. So...

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 03 December 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Didn't you smoke me a few times today? :P

If I did, then I apologize for not remembering :hiding: but if you're already at tier 7+, then I've probably seen you around. I'll be your wingman any time :honoring:

-Gets 8th in average experience per game-

"Hey guys, I'm in the top 10 :trollface:"

"What about your win rate"

"Oh we don't need to talk about that do we...? Right?"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users