• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

SpiritFoxMY #1 Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2764 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Hi there,

So I've been playing WoWp for... a couple of weeks now, on and off and I figure since I've hit the tier 6 credit bump and there's precious little on the forums regarding most of the lines I'm grinding, I thought I'd reach out for some opinions and advice:

1. So I'm currently pushing the Focke Wulf tree and so far I've read nothing but oaths against it. I'm enjoying the 190 V1 so far, but where does it - objectively - stand in the meta? How about the rest of the tree (particularly the choice between the FW light jets and the BV multiroles)?

2. In the 190 V1, I try to never go below 500ft, which renders my bombs kinda useless in most cases since I'm usually too high or too fast to make use of them. Should I demount them or is the penalty for having them on so small that I might as well keep them for the rare occasions I find myself low over a cap without a bandit on my six?

3. There's a decent chance that sometime in a fight, I'll be low with a bandit on my six. What's the best way for a 190 pilot to scrape pesky doom flies off my tail? Turning ain't gonna work fo' sho'.

4. I'm also grinding the British heavy fighter line and am loving me the Brokenfighter. Is the Brokenfighter the best there is there though? None of the others have any tail gunners. 

5. Also, how do the German heavies stack against the British heavies? They seem to be the weaker lot with fewer guns and hitpoints

6. Ground attackers: I've been agonizing about this a lot. I've tried the Soviet line and while its funny as hell flattening an entire base by myself what killed the line for me was the long lonely journies back to the front after getting shot down (and the lack of tail gunners from t4 - 5) I've been thinking of the German line, but it doesn't appear to have the same base mangling ability. And how does a German GA handle having persistent killer gnats on  their tails.

7. For a 190 jumped by a Yak or a Spit at altitude, what's the best evasive maneuver? Nose over and go straight down or snap roll in the opposite direction and try to boost climb under their guns?

8. What's the significance of the orange altitude indicator?

9. FW.56 Stösser - is it worth it? I would like a decent premium at lower levels if only because I prefer puppy-kicking for modest amounts of silver and a training plane for the possibly large number of Luftwaffe pilots I'll accumulate. But the package is nearly RM100 with 3k gold and a 30 day premium which I'm unlikely to utilize

Thanks for your replies :p jolly decent community you have here

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #2 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2045 battles

On the 6th question:
The German GAAs seem to have longer boosts than the soviet GAAs (my Ju 88 P has 45 seconds of continuous boost, my IL-2 (t) has 30 seconds). They do also indeed have problems at taking down bases, as their cannons, while decent, are laking at taking down armored targets when compared to the soviet ordnance. That said, I personally enjoy both lines, and while the long drive to the front lines can get quite long at times, it does give me a bit of calm and time to prepare for my dance of death :playing:

For enemies on your tail, german GAAs fare no better than their soviet counterparts. You either kill them (tailgunner or bombs when available) or simply destroy as much stuff you can before being inevitably shot down. You can duel with some GAAs though, so check at the start of a battle who you can outturn

Edited by LMG, 16 November 2017 - 03:49 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Wombatmetal #3 Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:00 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 975 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 November 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

Hi there,

So I've been playing WoWp for... a couple of weeks now, on and off and I figure since I've hit the tier 6 credit bump and there's precious little on the forums regarding most of the lines I'm grinding, I thought I'd reach out for some opinions and advice:

1. So I'm currently pushing the Focke Wulf tree and so far I've read nothing but oaths against it. I'm enjoying the 190 V1 so far, but where does it - objectively - stand in the meta? How about the rest of the tree (particularly the choice between the FW light jets and the BV multiroles)?

2. In the 190 V1, I try to never go below 500ft, which renders my bombs kinda useless in most cases since I'm usually too high or too fast to make use of them. Should I demount them or is the penalty for having them on so small that I might as well keep them for the rare occasions I find myself low over a cap without a bandit on my six?

3. There's a decent chance that sometime in a fight, I'll be low with a bandit on my six. What's the best way for a 190 pilot to scrape pesky doom flies off my tail? Turning ain't gonna work fo' sho'.

4. I'm also grinding the British heavy fighter line and am loving me the Brokenfighter. Is the Brokenfighter the best there is there though? None of the others have any tail gunners. 

5. Also, how do the German heavies stack against the British heavies? They seem to be the weaker lot with fewer guns and hitpoints

6. Ground attackers: I've been agonizing about this a lot. I've tried the Soviet line and while its funny as hell flattening an entire base by myself what killed the line for me was the long lonely journies back to the front after getting shot down (and the lack of tail gunners from t4 - 5) I've been thinking of the German line, but it doesn't appear to have the same base mangling ability. And how does a German GA handle having persistent killer gnats on  their tails.

7. For a 190 jumped by a Yak or a Spit at altitude, what's the best evasive maneuver? Nose over and go straight down or snap roll in the opposite direction and try to boost climb under their guns?

9. FW.56 Stösser - is it worth it? I would like a decent premium at lower levels if only because I prefer puppy-kicking for modest amounts of silver and a training plane for the possibly large number of Luftwaffe pilots I'll accumulate. But the package is nearly RM100 with 3k gold and a 30 day premium which I'm unlikely to utilize

No expert on the line, but here are some thoughts

1: Keep speed and altitude high. The meta definitely favors turn and burn at the moment. You need to focus on hit and runs. You have speed, altitude, and firepower

2: When I have this sort of question in a game I ask myself when was the last time I dropped a bomb in my 190? If I can't remember doing it I generally get rid of it. If I use it once in 20 games, I probably don't keep it. 

5: Beware the American heavies. They are faster and will out turn British and German heavies. I expect heavies will come into their own when bomber lines are released in the tech trees

6: My most played class is GAA. I think the first seven planes I have logged the most time in are GA. Germans struggle against armored targets, but they handle better and are faster. They will out dogfight a Russian GA with ease, but you need to be able to handle the guns. The 37mm at tiers 5 and 6 are slow firing and you need to be precise in your aim - sniping a plane is a challenge. The wall of lead the Soviets have is nice. I have reinforced airframe, covers, and armor plating as well as the defense perk on the pilot, bringing down an IL2 is going to take work.  I slow down to my stall speed (80) and hit the deck. My rear gunner has increased crit - a fighter nearing their stall speed and getting an engine or wing knocked out at tree top level is going to have some fun. Think outside the box. Bombs take out folks on your 6 and low heights too

8: Orange is beyond the operational altitude of your craft and performance will start falling off

gerr22 #4 Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2750 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

try surprising a few fighters or heavies by fighting them 265 very good 325 good IL10 very good works for me

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2764 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Thanks all for the asnwers!

1. Hrm - so how does the tree stack up against, say, the Russians?  I prefer boom and zoom combat (turn fighting to me is like jumping into a Mexican standoff; something to be avoided unless you've stacked the deck), but its frustrating sometimes to leave a Zero on 2% HP on the way out; would love a bit more turning capacity... yet I wouldn't sacrifice the firepower for the world. The two late game branches of this tree - the BV looks the most promising while the FW jets seem mediocre at best, but would it be better still to just stop the tree at the Dora and grind the HF tree to the 262?

2. I originally carried bombs to try and help take Rocket bases on those maps that have them - Rocket bases irritatingly need at least one ground target eliminated to fully cap. But I quickly learnt that flying low in a 190 is certain death so I started just dropping bombs from high altitude, but even then, thanks to HMG's post about ground targets, I don't even do this anymore since its basically pointless and potentially detrimental. I guess I'll dismount them? The penalty seems paltry but if it makes the difference between escaping a P40 and being shot to shreds I guess its worth it.

5. American heavies are...sorta ok? I haven't faced many piloted by actual players so I can't really tell. I love the Beaufighter because of that lovely Defiant turret strapped to its hump, but the Mozzie is defenseless from the rear. I've been hesitant to play the German heavies because they have half the firepower of the Beaufighter, fewer HP, slightly less maneuverability in exchange for slightly more speed.  But I also have an eye on the 262...

6. I'm sorta leaning towards the German Heavy line because it unlocks both the 262 and 1102 lines while the GAAs are straight down with no branches; interested in the Ju 87, Hs129 and Ju 88 though, but the lack of bombs bothers me - if I have to go down, not having bombs is going to make it harder for me to mow down as many targets as I can before having to respawn...  for the Soviets, how nasty a grind are the tier 4 and 5s? I'd imagine lack of a tailgunner encourages a rather fatalistic outlook of life.

I guess I'll chew on it a bit more. Maybe I'll... just try all and see which one suits me better

8. How dramatic is that performance fall off? I always have my planes - regardless of type - up at around 1300 - 1500 before the battle starts. It seems a bit of a drag the Focke Wulf 190 A1 suffers from this even though, IMO, the best way to play it is to stay high until an opportunity presents itself

LMG #6 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2045 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 16 November 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

6. I'm sorta leaning towards the German Heavy line because it unlocks both the 262 and 1102 lines while the GAAs are straight down with no branches; interested in the Ju 87, Hs129 and Ju 88 though, but the lack of bombs bothers me - if I have to go down, not having bombs is going to make it harder for me to mow down as many targets as I can before having to respawn...  for the Soviets, how nasty a grind are the tier 4 and 5s? I'd imagine lack of a tailgunner encourages a rather fatalistic outlook of life.

To be honest I don't remember it being as bad, as they still have bombs. If anything, you learn how to bombkill on them. That said, I agree that not having a tailgunner does make their job a bit rougher, but at least we're not in 1.x where one death means you're back in the hangar, so you have the time to properly try them out. Also, if I recall correctly, they're deceptively maneuverable with their 20mm/23mm cannons, so there's that (the IL-2 does throw maneuverability out the window with the 37mm cannons though). In general, running those GAAs can help you understand them a little better and get you to become a bit more sneaky :hiding: (though don't force yourself to fly them either)

Jaguardian #7 Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

• 1 battle
If I had to do it over again, I would skip the low tier Russian GA and go down the Mig line and then research/buy the tier 7 IL 10 once you get the I-220 fighter.  In my opinion, the fighter grind was better than the GA grind but that fits my play style more.

HazeGrayUnderway #8 Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1515 battles

5.  Currently am at Tier VIII Me 262 for German Hvy Fighters.  Among HFs they turn pretty bad.  You do get good speed and engine boost to make Boom & Zoom very viable.  Unlike Multiroles, you have the speed and engines to make it a reality.  For a good chunk of the game, German HFs also have the highest altitude.  Make good use of it, as you're needed in killing those high flying bombers like A-26 and RB-17.

6.  Ground attack is very vulnerable to intercept.  Keep low in the altitude to limit movement options to the faster flying fighters.  Or start flying low and slow around terrain like mountains, canyons, etc.  If they want to slow down to stay behind you and are close, drop a bomb, you may get them.  Either that, or let the rear gunner work on them, all while you maneuver slow and low around terrain.  IMO, a GA caught in open ground is super vulnerable because smaller, nimbler, faster aircraft will have all the movement options to make attack runs on you at any angle, altitude they prefer.  If you were flying around low in canyons, valleys, etc, they don't have as many options.  Some rear gunners on some GAs are pretty strong but IMO, not many are that good.  OTOH, no rear gunner means the pursuer can do whatever they like behind you with no repercussions.

You can't bank on friendly fighters / multirole / heavy fighters helping you out.  They're are on their own program dogfighting at higher altitudes, not at ground level.  They'll notice and help you out if there's nothing else nearby pressing, but otherwise, you're on your own.  Ground Attack play is an exercise in placing complete trust in others to do the air war.  Unless someone is dumb enough to approach your heavily armed GA head on, there's not much you can do to bring weapons to bear on them.

8.  Your plane is sputtering in performance.  In the hangar, look at the Altitude Performance rating and click on it, as it says what your highest performance ceiling is.  Also look at Airspeed and click on it for some performance and altitude information.

Edit:  Once your high enough, aircraft agility seems to take a nosedive, so speed is even more important.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 16 November 2017 - 09:29 PM.

pyantoryng #9 Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

The Blohm und Voss line is great for anti-air battling. 20mm revolvers at tier 8 is hard to beat as only one other plane (XF5U) has that privilege, and has access to R4M rockets to attempt for rocket-related achievements and scoring some extra mastery points. The advanced Focke-Wulf planes are supposed to have really powerful engine (Both the BV212 and Ta 183 can use the tier 10 Heinkel turbine at tier 9) and some of the best roll rates, but their weapons are hard to use effectively (Ta 152 fully upgraded is single-shot guns only and the Ta 183 is stuck with outdated weaponry).

Rear gunners doesn't really matter that much at low tier...and killing targets easily reward mastery points so you should be done in no time to move on to where rear guns exist. You also need a well-trained rear gunner to make the most out of it, so you can just go on and bust as many targets as you can. Mastery points roll in that way.

All heavy fighters lose their rear guns beyond tier 6, but their engine and firepower are hard to beat. The 262 requires a specific playstyle and being good at the MK 108 cannons to be effective. Both the British and American contemporaries are more reliable and practical. IMO, The XF5U is probably one of the best plane in the entire game once upgraded to revolver cannons.

As for the mid tier HF...it's just that Beaufighter happened to be very powerful in the current meta of dogfighting and nerfed energy. The German heavies can hold their own, just not performing as good as Beaufighter would...

To expand on what Jaguardian is saying, look around the tech tree and find any crossovers to consider. Another example is how the Me 410 can branch into Me 265 in GA line bypassing the Junkers entirely, but you'll need to adjust to a different playstyle in higher tier. In the crossover topic, there are many modules that could be used elsewhere after obtaining them from one line. Plan ahead and use those to help your future lines grind easier.

The yellow zone is tolerable...the effect is not THAT noticeable and you should continue fighting if the fight is up there...just be more careful of your airspeed and mind your boost. The red zone is where the penalty truly begins, where even level flight will stall things that are not heavy fighters or bombers with plenty of boost (It's pretty extreme compared to 1.9). The only reason you are up there in a fighter, though, is to take care of bombers, and for now they only exist in specific tier ranges, so don't worry too much about it.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SpiritFoxMY #10 Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2764 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Oh, wow! Thanks pyantoryng. And thanks again, everyone, for replying. 

Never been up to the red zone for altitude :p 

I think I'll give both the German Heavy and GAA lines a whirl, then branch into the Soviet GAA at a later date (or when they're on sale) :)

You've also given me hope for the FW-BV line. I'll keep at it; with any luck the BV P215.02 will be my first ever T10 >:D

Furysghost #11 Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3561 battles

The T-3 Attack A/C... Blohm und Voss Ha 137 V1 ...is a good one its also a premium and oddly has pretty good maneuvering abilities but no rear gunner.

Like pyantoryng said tho at low tiers not much of an issue l have one and quite like it.

l generally shoot down several A/C during a battle in it 2x 7.92 and 2x 20mm is pretty powerful at tier plus 4 bombs.

Wombatmetal #12 Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:46 PM

• 975 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostFurysghost, on 18 November 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

The T-3 Attack A/C... Blohm und Voss Ha 137 V1 ...is a good one its also a premium and oddly has pretty good maneuvering abilities but no rear gunner.

Like pyantoryng said tho at low tiers not much of an issue l have one and quite like it.

l generally shoot down several A/C during a battle in it 2x 7.92 and 2x 20mm is pretty powerful at tier plus 4 bombs.

I have the B&V HA 137 and I have fun in it blowing stuff up

Johnny_Wishbone #13 Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 378 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 November 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

Hi there,

The 190s are very dependent upon speed and boost, but not upon altitude, which makes them unique in the game.  They've long been treated by the best players as a sort of "horizontal boom-n-zoom," whereby instead of relying on vertical escape after an attack pass, you just blast away more or less straight and level, or possibly a fairly shallow climb. 

SpiritFoxMY

It used to be that there was a penalty for unexpended ordinance, but my understanding is that it has been removed since 2.0.

SpiritFoxMY

Put the hammer down and boost.  Speed is your salvation in the 190s.  They are wickedly, wickedly fast.  The only thing that can consistently catch a 190V1 is a P-38F, XP-77, or Me 209.

SpiritFoxMY

Only two heavies after tier 5 have tail guns: the Me 410 and the XP-58.  You won't be at any real disadvantage most of the time.  The British heavies aren't bad, but they're a little confused, and aren't sure what their niche is, but a good player can do just fine.  Tier 8 is the low-point, though.

SpiritFoxMY

German heavies are generally faster, more agile, and better-armed than other heavies until tier 9, when things start to equalize.  I'd say that, in terms of heavies tier 9 is the high point of British, and tier 10 belongs to the US.

SpiritFoxMY

Bomb them!  :trollface:

SpiritFoxMY

Boost in a shallow dive.  There's no way they'll be able to catch you.

SpiritFoxMY

That's when you're above your optimum altitude.  Your engine loses power, you lose maneuverability, and you can't climb as well.

SpiritFoxMY

Can't help you on this one, unfortunately.  Good luck out there!

SpiritFoxMY #14 Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2764 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Thanks Johnny! 

Quite specifically thanks for the advice about just dropping the hammer in a straight line. It's been working - most of the time so long as I'm not being hit by a Wildcat dropping from above XD

I've hit tier 6 with the A-5 and its pretty nice. Hits like a truck and can carry a decent external loadout. Dumped a lot of Free XP into getting the engine though - felt really slow stock, although that's probably the lack of maneuverability talking.

Got myself the Stösser and the Boomerang and I must say I'm enjoying the Boomerang a sight more than the Stösser which feels rather meh. Good for leveling pilots though. 

Bf110 is quite nice. Feels a bit like an Fw190 except longer boost and larger target. Still unsure about the GA line, but the Eule is alright. Feels like its rather difficult to really influence the battle because its so slow though.

So... after the Eule, which should I aim for? The Stuka or the Duck? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

gmann14 #15 Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2938 battles
I made a mistake of crossing in front of a stuka some 600 m out while strafing a ground target, one second I was full health, next I was watching a cinematic fly by of a stuka.. with 2x37 and 1.2 range u can fap planes out of the sky like Yak9

LMG #16 Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2045 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 19 November 2017 - 04:23 AM, said:

So... after the Eule, which should I aim for? The Stuka or the Duck? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

From my experience, the Stuka is quite poor at dealing with ground targets when stock, while the duck gets bombs to at least pretend to be useful. Once fully upgraded, the Stuka has two 37mm cannons; the Duck can equip one 37mm cannon, two decent 20mm cannons and two machineguns or ditch the big cannon for some small bombs. Aside of that, the Stuka gets a rear gunner and is quite maneuverable, and the Duck gets an engine with a warp speed boost.

Overall I really disliked the Duck when I played it. It wasn't as much the lack of a rear gunner, but the fact that it didn't really offer anything over the Stuka aside of that super boost and a slightly better performance in air-to-air combat due to the larger amount of guns, which is negated by its rather poor manueverability and energy retention (it's so bad I stalled turning around to make another pass on a ground target, let alone dealing with hostile GAAs). That said, I didn't use the bombs, so maybe that's where I made my mistake :sceptic:

SpiritFoxMY #17 Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2764 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 19 November 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

From my experience, the Stuka is quite poor at dealing with ground targets when stock, while the duck gets bombs to at least pretend to be useful. Once fully upgraded, the Stuka has two 37mm cannons; the Duck can equip one 37mm cannon, two decent 20mm cannons and two machineguns or ditch the big cannon for some small bombs. Aside of that, the Stuka gets a rear gunner and is quite maneuverable, and the Duck gets an engine with a warp speed boost.

Overall I really disliked the Duck when I played it. It wasn't as much the lack of a rear gunner, but the fact that it didn't really offer anything over the Stuka aside of that super boost and a slightly better performance in air-to-air combat due to the larger amount of guns, which is negated by its rather poor manueverability and energy retention (it's so bad I stalled turning around to make another pass on a ground target, let alone dealing with hostile GAAs). That said, I didn't use the bombs, so maybe that's where I made my mistake :sceptic:

I find bombs and rockets are great for stealing caps but the long cooldowns mean you're out of the fight for quite a bit (although as you've pointed out before, the slow speed of GAAs means you're probably reloaded by the time you get to the next target anyway). The Duck's two bombs are only 250s though. They're enough to take out a flack battery but not much else.

Thanks! I'll aim for the Stuka then. I have a pile of free XP sitting around to get out of stock - the Mosquito I just got seems to perform jus' fine stock so I'll save the FXP and use it to boost the Stuka when I get it.

HazeGrayUnderway #18 Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1515 battles

View PostLMG, on 19 November 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

Very much this, except in air-to-air, the Ju 87G with the 37mm cannons was far more enjoyable.  If you can hit targets with the 37mm, they pack a lot of punch but it's frustrating hitting aerial targets with them.  The funny thing is when you move onto Tier VI Ju 88P, it's more consistent with that plane's playstyle.  But then again, the Tier VII Me 265 is similar to the Hs 129's playstyle...

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 19 November 2017 - 10:25 PM.

SpiritFoxMY #19 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2764 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 19 November 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

But then again, the Tier VII Me 265 is similar to the Hs 129's playstyle...

In what way?

LMG #20 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2045 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 19 November 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

In what way?

Lots of guns mainly. The Junkers live and die on few big cannons, where most other german GAAs get access to smaller cannons in larger quantities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users