Premium Ammo - What the Hell?

what is this shit?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

hoom #41 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3136 battles

So I was reading a long thread in WoWS forum regarding EA Battlefront 2 P2W practices & went looking for the WG Free-to-win manifesto eg https://www.gamasutr...to_the_curb.php

Turns out the OP does have a good point: Gold only Premium ammo shouldn't be here as its against the Free-to-win scheme.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Mercsn #42 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

View Posthoom, on 16 November 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

So I was reading a long thread in WoWS forum regarding EA Battlefront 2 P2W practices & went looking for the WG Free-to-win manifesto eg https://www.gamasutr...to_the_curb.php

Turns out the OP does have a good point: Gold only Premium ammo shouldn't be here as its against the Free-to-win scheme.

I was surprised to see it as well.  Waaay back when I played last, they had several levels of upgraded ammo that could be purchased with either credits or gold (you had to choose via a dropdown menu, iirc -it was kinda sneaky because they'd have it set to gold by default and you'd have to remember to go in and change it to silver).

Nice find that gold only ammo is actually against WG's own p2p "rules"...well, maybe there more like "guidelines" than "rules"....

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

BrushWolf #43 Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 61 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Posthoom, on 16 November 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

That is about getting a loot box from playing the game and then having to spend money to open it with a high chance for something of very low game value. Any effect this will have on this game will be that whatever is in the paid for crates from the shop will have something that if sold in the shop will have a value that at least equals the cost of the crate which most already do even if it is not very valuable to you.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

hoom #44 Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:57 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3136 battles

Block Quote

That is about getting a loot box from playing the game and then having to spend money to open it with a high chance for something of very low game value.

Yes but the WG Free-to-win manifesto says there shouldn't be any advantage like premium ammo that can only be obtained by Gold/real $$$.

In general I'm very happy with WG lack of greediness, they basically invented & are the main example of reasonably implemented free-to-play.

Its just interesting to note this bit that breaks their own rules.

trikke #45 Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

• 1501 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

gold ammo won't help poor aimers like myself 

having said that, and having read this topic...  yesterday, i changed all of my planes to universal and then had a marginally better day than any days in the past week 

crap, i wish there were single pilot 'test flights' like WT has, so objective repeatable/measurable equipment testing could be done

i couldn't figure out the 'training flight' room...  i have a barely-remembered glimmer of how they worked in CBT, is there a handy youtube that would explain it better out there?

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Desmios #46 Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 854 battles

View Posthoom, on 16 November 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

Yes but the WG Free-to-win manifesto says there shouldn't be any advantage like premium ammo that can only be obtained by Gold/real $$$.

In general I'm very happy with WG lack of greediness, they basically invented & are the main example of reasonably implemented free-to-play.

Guess you are not a big WoT player, huh?

hoom #47 Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3136 battles

I'm a WoT player since Closed Beta.

Well basically no longer since I started playing WoWS late in its Closed Beta. (& now haven't really touched WoWS since I started playing WoWP 2.0)

Fact is I have a heap of free Premiums WG gave me, loads of tanks of various tiers, played it for many many many hours with 55.59% winrate & didn't spend a particularly large amount of money (including a bunch of unspent Gold which is now available to me in WoWP though I've only bought 3 days Premium time -> actually made Gold profit due to WoWP Gold missions).

Never felt pressured to spend money & actually didn't spend a cent until I was saving up to buy my first T10 at which point I bought my first T8 Premium & some premium time just to make it faster.

Edit: 14* free Premium tanks, 3* T5, 4* T3 & the rest T2.

I did buy 5* Premiums tiers 3-7 that I didn't really need to & retrospectively were a waste of $$$, they represent a big % of my total spend and it was when I was already pretty burnt out.

The tanks themselves are mostly good & would have been great to have earlier when I was enjoying it more.

Edited by hoom, 17 November 2017 - 04:52 PM.

trikke #48 Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:34 PM

• 1501 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posthoom, on 16 November 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

Block Quote

That is about getting a loot box from playing the game and then having to spend money to open it with a high chance for something of very low game value.

me too!

if 2.0 somehow breeds as many players as there was/is in WoT, then the greediness might emerge

but hey, it's not really greed as long as you think that you're getting enjoyment equal to the amount of money that you're spending 

SkyWolf__WM #49 Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2150 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I was actually thinking of trying gold ammo on my 81A. It's 2 .50's are pretty anemic.

High explosive, incendiary, or Fark it?

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

SkyWolf__WM #50 Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2150 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Thanks tor the suggestions!
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

hoom #51 Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3136 battles

No idea what an 81A is, can't help.

Also haven't tried any of the Gold ammo, just Standard & Universal.

Universal is better than Standard.

CPO_Shrky #52 Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:13 PM

Airman Basic

• 972 battles

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 17 November 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

I was actually thinking of trying gold ammo on my 81A. It's 2 .50's are pretty anemic.

Got some free gold ammo with the premiums I bought.  Thought I'd try it out to see what all the fuss was about.  Used the HE and to be honest I don't think it performed as well as the universal ammo.  I didn't start a single fire with it, and if it did more alpha damage I couldn't tell.

Edited by CPO_Shrky, 18 November 2017 - 08:14 PM.

Never run out of altitude, airspeed and ideas all at the same time.

Bear_82 #53 Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

• 40 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Posthoom, on 18 November 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

No idea what an 81A is, can't help.

Also haven't tried any of the Gold ammo, just Standard & Universal.

Universal is better than Standard.

https://worldofwarpl...nes/usa/m81a-1/

hoom #54 Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:18 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3136 battles

Oooh.

I was wondering why the stock P-40 skips that config with cowling guns, there it is.

Desmios #55 Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 854 battles

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 17 November 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

:facepalm:

StoptheViolins #56 Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

• 1470 battles
Yup WG turned some previous tree gun options into premium planes.

NateKrool #57 Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

Airman Basic

• 901 battles
  • [XILES] XILES

How do you use Universal ammo for silver?  When I look at ammo choices, there are usually 2-3 choices, the kind that maximizes critical damage, the kind that maximizes fire damage, and sometimes Universal which usually has the same number/ratio of dots as Standard.  All three have gold prices next to them.  How to switch from paying with Gold to paying with Silver?

UPDATE: I am dumb!  The screenshot helped clear it up in my mind.  "Standard" is the default is probably just frozen peas.  "Universal" is a bit better and available for silver.  The rest, HE Incendiary, HE, and AP Incendiary, are only available for gold.  My bad. 

Edited by NateKrool, 28 November 2017 - 08:08 PM.

pyantoryng #58 Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1296 battles

View PostNateKrool, on 28 November 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

How do you use Universal ammo for silver?  When I look at ammo choices, there are usually 2-3 choices, the kind that maximizes critical damage, the kind that maximizes fire damage, and sometimes Universal which usually has the same number/ratio of dots as Standard.  All three have gold prices next to them.  How to switch from paying with Gold to paying with Silver?

Standard is free, Universal is silver, everything else is gold.

Click the X on the ammo to return to standard and try again.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Master_DarkVan #59 Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• 458 battles

It just a little difference between free  silver  gold(premium)ammo.Most time  people couldn't feel the disparity with them.

Premium ammo in WOWP is different from the one in WOT.In WOT,you can use premium ammo penetrated enemies easiler.In WOWP,it doesn't work much better than free or silver ammo

Bear_82 #60 Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

• 40 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostNateKrool, on 28 November 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

From the ammo choices(#1), Universal(#2) is always (not sometimes) available for forward-firing weapons. Click Apply(#3) to confirm your selection.

In the picture below, notice the icon & text for Universal is white/gray/silver, where the other 3 are yellow/gold? That tells you the cost is in credits, rather than gold.

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users