what is this shit?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

hoom #21 Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10164 battles

Block Quote

Ok, now I see... standard loads for "free", universal cost credits and increase based on gun tier and caliber.   I was confused about the ammo cost.  It's not "premium" per say.

I don't see the Silver ammo as premium since it doesn't cost Gold.

Block Quote

I am guessing most folks who are new/returning don't realize there is a "difference" as there is no "standard" in drop down.  

Yes thats a pretty confusing bit of GUI, I was panicking & freaking out for a while when I wanted to reset ammo to Standard first time.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Mercsn #22 Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostSnickerDoodle99, on 15 November 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

If something is available to everyone, aka the universal ammunition, is it really paying to win?

I agree that it is not "pay to win", in terms of actual dollars, if it's reasonably attainable in game.  The universal ammo is reasonably attainable in-game.

@Desmios, As others have pointed out, premium (gold) ammo isn't as beneficial as in tanks.  To get any benefit, you still have to hit with it.  When you do hit with it, the benefit isn't that much greater than with universal ammo (purchasable with silver).  If you're just starting out and still learning how to hit other enemies and the universal is cost prohibitive, there's two ways to look at it.  Use the universal ammo and don't rush up the tiers, in which case you don't need as much silver for planes. Keep in mind, that when you get an aircraft elited, your pilot will earn skill points faster if you check the "crew training button".  So, no harm in going slow. Or, use the standard ammo while you work on aim.

Also, fight over your zones and don't attack ground targets unless you're in a ground attack aircraft (take the bombs off your multi-role planes). Shooting ground targets doesn't pay much and it takes you out of the fight as you go down to shoot/bomb a ground target and then you lose time and energy again climbing back into the fight...and it doesn't really help the team out (and winning adds a bonus to silver).

Shoot planes, over zones, earn silver.

I'm also in the crowd that use universal ammo in all my planes.  I don't buy silver.  I do have premium planes that are great for farming silver.  But, I don't have trouble making enough in a match, they're just nice when I want to add equipment to new planes without the gold demount fee.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

BrushWolf #23 Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Posthoom, on 15 November 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

I don't think many people actually use it.

Its super expensive & won't make up for poor piloting.

The Silver ammo is plenty good, expensive for 20+mm so I understand most people stick to Silver ammo for MGs & maybe smaller Cannon, Standard ammo for the bigger Cannon.

Edit: also noteworthy that WoT made the premium ammo purchasable for Silver long before WoWS came out so the argument there is basically void.

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 15 November 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

Premium ammo has always been considered irrelevant in this game. Only the uber try hards use it. But, there really isn't much benefit and the cost to benefit ratio is absurd .

It is mostly useless as it is useful for GA's but who in their right mind would use real money to kill ground targets except in a Clan Wars or other end game environment.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Colddawg #24 Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1921 battles
Universal ammo should be enough for any situation.  This isn't exactly "premium" but isn't free either.  I think WG took a page from WT here because in WT you have standard ammo and then every other belt loadout you can research comes at a higher cost and must be manually reloaded after you've used up its limited quantity.

Keep your head on the swivel.

Desmios #25 Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1215 battles

View PostSnickerDoodle99, on 15 November 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

If something is available to everyone, aka the universal ammunition, is it really paying to win?

you are making a mistake in assuming because it is purchaseable with credits, it is available to everyone. 

Credit costs are prohibitive. Only players who have premium planes and premium time can afford it consistently. 

Cenotaph #26 Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostDesmios, on 15 November 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

you are making a mistake in assuming because it is purchaseable with credits, it is available to everyone. 

Credit costs are prohibitive. Only players who have premium planes and premium time can afford it consistently. 

No, it's prohibitive to you... plenty of other people have no problems affording it without owning any tier 8 premiums.

Not going to have any sympathy for someone who won't even try before they start complaining that everything is against them.

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

SnickerDoodle99 #27 Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1022 battles

Your words got me thinking, so I gave it a shot and ran the universal ammo in my BF109G and found even in a loss, I made a small profit. Note, VERY small profit, but at that tier it was not completely prohibitive. I have nothing above a tier 7 yet though, so I can't say about from tier 8 and beyond. I expect it would be rather costly though.

Desmios #28 Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1215 battles

View PostCenotaph, on 15 November 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

No, it's prohibitive to you... plenty of other people have no problems affording it without owning any tier 8 premiums.

Not going to have any sympathy for someone who won't even try before they start complaining that everything is against them.

Very strong words and assumptions about someone you know nothing about. 

1) I can afford universal ammo just fine

2) I have several premium planes

3) I have been playing and improving substantially -- so the notion that I haven't even "tried" is a joke.

vonluckner #29 Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 722 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

Really? We can see how much we'd make with and without premium.

This is your third WG title and you're still going to [edited]about this? The fact that you were fine with WoWS says a lot.. clearly you never ran into an Imperator Nikolai or the Belfast or Kutuzov when they were in full glory.

Cenotaph #30 Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostDesmios, on 15 November 2017 - 10:11 PM, said:

Very strong words and assumptions about someone you know nothing about. 

1) I can afford universal ammo just fine

2) I have several premium planes

3) I have been playing and improving substantially -- so the notion that I haven't even "tried" is a joke.

1: Then why are you crying about universal ammo so loudly?

2: Then why are you having such a hard time making credits?

3: Odd, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing... yet I've still managed to bank about 5 million credits stumbling my way through 300ish battles. (Including buying a few tier 6's at nearly 1 million per)

So, again... what's your issue?

Is it the affordability... or just the fact that the ammo exists, and you're too cheap to buy it, so you want everyone else to lose the option to use it?

Desmios #31 Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1215 battles

View PostCenotaph, on 15 November 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

1: Then why are you crying about universal ammo so loudly?

2: Then why are you having such a hard time making credits?

3: Odd, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing... yet I've still managed to bank about 5 million credits stumbling my way through 300ish battles. (Including buying a few tier 6's at nearly 1 million per)

So, again... what's your issue?

Is it the affordability... or just the fact that the ammo exists, and you're too cheap to buy it, so you want everyone else to lose the option to use it?

When did I say I had a hard time making credits?  This is your 4th false claim about me without evidence.  Do you have any?

I hate pay2win aspects in video games I enjoy; whether I can afford them or not is irrelevant.

Edited by Desmios, 16 November 2017 - 12:57 AM.

Cenotaph #32 Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostDesmios, on 16 November 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

When did I say I had a hard time making credits?  This is your 4th false claim about me without evidence.  Do you have any?

Gee... I don't know, how about this post?

Sure appears like you are complaining that it's too hard to afford universal ammo...

Also, 4th false claim?  I only see myself making one claim, which certainly appears to be true... "You seem to be having a tantrum about universal ammo, purely based on it's costs".

At this point one can only assume that you're either trolling... or just so brutally clueless, that further discourse is becoming unpalatable.

Edit: Seems possible that you don't know the difference between statements, and questions... so I'll help you out. If you see this "?" at the end of a sentence, that means it's a question, not a "claim".

View PostDesmios, on 16 November 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

I hate pay2win aspects in video games I enjoy; whether I can afford them or not is irrelevant.

Ok, then here's my advice... stop talking about how "not everyone can afford to use universal ammo" if that's your issue...

You are diluting your own message, and leaving yourself open to rebuke... because you seem like you don't even know your own opinion, and are creating a straw man to help bolster your argument.

Edited by Cenotaph, 16 November 2017 - 02:13 AM.

Wombatmetal #33 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostDesmios, on 15 November 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

View PostDesmios, on 15 November 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

For there to be a game WG needs to make money. FFXIV is completely not pay to win, the only stuff you can buy is purely cosmetic. It makes money because it is subscription based.  And so it is not F2P

F2P games then need a strategy to generate income. Some have a paywall to upper levels. SWTOR comes to mind. A really popular model is to offer premium accounts that provide economic and xp incentive and premium gear/vehicles. The list of this model is endless. It is quite successful, you can pay no money, and enjoy all content. But life is easier if you have a premium account. 

Premium planes in this game I discount from consideration as they are easy to get for free. 

You hate P2W, that's fine, what model do you suggest WG adopt? They have to make money somehow or there is no game.

Desmios #34 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1215 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 15 November 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

For there to be a game WG needs to make money. FFXIV is completely not pay to win, the only stuff you can buy is purely cosmetic. It makes money because it is subscription based.  And so it is not F2P

F2P games then need a strategy to generate income. Some have a paywall to upper levels. SWTOR comes to mind. A really popular model is to offer premium accounts that provide economic and xp incentive and premium gear/vehicles. The list of this model is endless. It is quite successful, you can pay no money, and enjoy all content. But life is easier if you have a premium account. 

Premium planes in this game I discount from consideration as they are easy to get for free. 

You hate P2W, that's fine, what model do you suggest WG adopt? They have to make money somehow or there is no game.

They can make money without selling premium ammo. 

Edited by Desmios, 16 November 2017 - 02:27 AM.

Wombatmetal #35 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostDesmios, on 15 November 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

They can make money without selling premium ammo. 

I would like no premium ammo, but I doubt anyone uses gold ammo. Silver I would want gone too, but as easy as silver is to make with free premium ships, not a huge issue IMO

CamuMahubah #36 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1224 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS

As the great great grandson of a Burlap Sack Baron I find myself obliged to run Universal ammo in machine guns and Standard in cannons.

Now being a Burlap Sack Baron's progeny lends me great enough coin to purchase Premium time 30% of the time.  I have also inherited much shrewd like busy sense in that I can scour the interwebs in search of codes that give me free Premium planes with which in turn allow me to fly around on fire burning to a spectacular pixel death every match.  

These robust displays of absolute undominance in the skies when done enough allow enough silver to be ground with which to shoot at observation balloons and bombers that know better to 1v1 me and instead fly away like cowards before my mighty il-2 mod can catch them..

All of this commotion on the forums have caused me to lose my place in my book about a great Spanish Knight who lances dragons on the regular!

Mind ye!  This whole pondering around about ammunition reminds me of the family business slogan, "Burlap Underwear, It's Kinda Itchy!".

Don't buy it if you don't like it.  And I pity the fool which shoots gold.  If they make pure gold rounds available for silver then I could understand the salt mines being open for business but as it is now we got a few Saudi princesses flying around shooting Gold and a few YouTubers who crave views and maybe a few 8 year olds with mom's credit card!

Gold rounds were invented for one reason and one reason only!  To embarrass your "buddy" in 1v1 training battles!

And now I must suit up in my Burlap pajamas and hunt each and everyone of you bomber pilots down in my ill-too mod.

Edited by CamuMahubah, 16 November 2017 - 03:58 AM.

trikke #37 Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

Captain

• 3620 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

snicker... that's pretty funny, Camu!

those seams in my burlap tighty brownies really chafes the boys

Edited by trikke, 16 November 2017 - 12:32 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

StoptheViolins #38 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2181 battles
I've found universal rounds hit or miss.  I'm still working on strategy but I think I will go with the universal in the 4 dot fire guns as crit cannons seem to do just as well without it.

pyantoryng #39 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2166 battles

View PostStoptheViolins, on 16 November 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

I've found universal rounds hit or miss.  I'm still working on strategy but I think I will go with the universal in the 4 dot fire guns as crit cannons seem to do just as well without it.

They are just ammo that can set fire and available to purchase in silver...the damage itself is not modified.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

StoptheViolins #40 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2181 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 16 November 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

They are just ammo that can set fire and available to purchase in silver...the damage itself is not modified.

I am more interested in the fires and crits as it seems I am usually in some sort of MR when I get to tangle with heavies.  I like setting them on fire and/or taking out an engine and/or tail to slow them down a bit.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users