Premium Ammo - What the Hell?

what is this shit?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Desmios #1 Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 854 battles

Hello all,

I've come over since 2.0 and I have been loving it so far -- but one of my worst fear's has been realized today -- premium ammo.

Premium ammo killed World of Tanks for me and it is why I quit it and switched to WoWs. 

Now I just noticed you can buy special ammo in this game for a decent amount of credits or gold that (seem) to give you an advantage over another person who cannot afford it?

Whats up with that?  How widespread is this?

Call me old school, but when I lose in a game, I like losing to someone is better than me -- not someone that just has more money.

Wargaming is notoriously greedy -- probably only surpassed by the likes of EA and activision -- and they have shown no hesitation to destroy the longevity of their games for short-term profit (especially in WoT).  In particular, catering to the 'whale' class while screwing the average player.

The rationale in WoT (for pay2win ammo) was the extra penetration helped players penetrate tanks they couldn't previously penetrate; which is [edited], but is was good enough for the pay2winners to tout on the forums as a 'legit' reason it is needed.

What is the rationale to have this pay2win crap in WoWp?

Edited by Desmios, 15 November 2017 - 12:57 PM.

hoom #2 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3136 battles

I don't think many people actually use it.

Its super expensive & won't make up for poor piloting.

The Silver ammo is plenty good, expensive for 20+mm so I understand most people stick to Silver ammo for MGs & maybe smaller Cannon, Standard ammo for the bigger Cannon.

Edit: also noteworthy that WoT made the premium ammo purchasable for Silver long before WoWS came out so the argument there is basically void.

Edited by hoom, 15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

StoptheViolins #3 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

• 1470 battles
I thought they only sold Premium ammo for gold.  Maybe I missed a drop down?

Desmios #4 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 854 battles

View Posthoom, on 15 November 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

I don't think many people actually use it.

Its super expensive & won't make up for poor piloting.

The Silver ammo is plenty good, expensive for 20+mm so I understand most people stick to Silver ammo for MGs & maybe smaller Cannon, Standard ammo for the bigger Cannon.

Edit: also noteworthy that WoT made the premium ammo purchasable for Silver long before WoWS came out so the argument there is basically void.

yes but the amount of silver it costs to fire is so astronomically large that you have to put money into having a premium account and a tier 8 premium vehicle to be able to fire it. 

It's funny how as soon as something becomes purchasable with silver it's no longer pay to win no matter how astronomically High the silver cost is. 

General_Lee_Miserable #5 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 297 battles
Premium ammo has always been considered irrelevant in this game. Only the uber try hards use it. But, there really isn't much benefit and the cost to benefit ratio is absurd .

Desmios #6 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 854 battles

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 15 November 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Premium ammo has always been considered irrelevant in this game. Only the uber try hards use it. But, there really isn't much benefit and the cost to benefit ratio is absurd .

very good news. Anyone who uses pay2win ammo should be shot IMHO. 

I no longer have sympathy for these people after the amount of games they have ruined by pumping thousands of dollars to gain advantages

Edited by Desmios, 15 November 2017 - 01:20 PM.

trikke #7 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

• 1501 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i shot premium in every wot battle because i sucked at tanks

i suck at planes so i never shoot premium 

yep, i suck at everything i touch for a wide variety of sucky reasons 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

hoom #8 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3136 battles

Block Quote

yes but the amount of silver it costs to fire is so astronomically large that you have to put money into having a premium account and a tier 8 premium vehicle to be able to fire it. 

Well I've been playing Non-Premium account except 3 days so far, using the Silver on MGs, 20mm & 23mm cannon, Standard on 37mm (not currently got any bigger) & have been making truckloads of Silver.

Helps that I've now got 8* free Premium planes :bajan: only 8* non-premium.

Zapperguy #9 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

I have universal ammo (credits not gold) loaded in every gun of all 200+ planes in my hangar. It sets a lot more fires than standard ammo and seems to pack more of a punch. In low tiers the cost is almost negligible. In higher tiers, even with a premium account, it took (speaking from 1.9 experience) a pretty awesome performance to break even on credits in some planes. It could easily cost you credits even with a win. That said, I still use it.

I'd never pay gold for ammo. It's quite pricey and you pay the same whether you fire 1 bullet or 10k in a battle. It's simply not cost effective.

:honoring:

hoom #10 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3136 battles
Should say my highest tier so far is T6.

Zapperguy #11 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN
Tier 8 & up is where the ammo costs get a lil silly.

pyantoryng #12 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1296 battles

The advantages of premium ammo in Planes is insignificant most of the time. You can completely evade gunfire, individual hits from guns smaller that 30mm won't kill you too quickly, and there is no more instagib mechanics.

...but I usually run free ammo and find myself swimming in silver...:unsure:

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Tigris_Alpha #13 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

Senior Airman

• 511 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

Antes de la 2.0 las batallas de warplanes eran muy similares a las batallas reales de la segunda guerra o la primera guerra, eran peleas 1 a 1 o 3 a 1 eran una pelea de caballeros del aire y valía la pena mejorar tu avión porque era una ventaja,   las pequeñas diferencias de tu  avión ahora son inútiles, las batallas ahora es solo son peleas de perros ... nadie analiza eso de los programadores ..

Edited by eltigris1, 15 November 2017 - 02:11 PM.

comtedumas #14 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

• 3914 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostZapperguy, on 15 November 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

I have universal ammo (credits not gold) loaded in every gun of all 200+ planes in my hangar. It sets a lot more fires than standard ammo and seems to pack more of a punch. In low tiers the cost is almost negligible. In higher tiers, even with a premium account, it took (speaking from 1.9 experience) a pretty awesome performance to break even on credits in some planes. It could easily cost you credits even with a win. That said, I still use it.

I'd never pay gold for ammo. It's quite pricey and you pay the same whether you fire 1 bullet or 10k in a battle. It's simply not cost effective.

Fires are def. worth using universal ammo for.  Lots of people don’t use fire extinguisher or the pilot skill for that either.  

Desmios #15 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 854 battles

View Posteltigris1, on 15 November 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

Antes de la 2.0 las batallas de warplanes eran muy similares a las batallas reales de la segunda guerra o la primera guerra, eran peleas 1 a 1 o 3 a 1 eran una pelea de caballeros del aire y valía la pena mejorar tu avión porque era una ventaja,   las pequeñas diferencias de tu  avión ahora son inútiles, las batallas ahora es solo son peleas de perros ... nadie analiza eso de los programadores ..

¿Cree ahora que el uso de munición premium es insignificante ya que la diferencia de plano es tan pequeña?

Bear_82 #16 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

• 40 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostZapperguy, on 15 November 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

​same here, 235 planes in hangar, every one loaded exclusively with universal ammo; with premium account I rarely had net loss of credits, then only tier 9/10 in a loss

StoptheViolins #17 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

• 1470 battles

Ok, now I see... standard loads for "free", universal cost credits and increase based on gun tier and caliber.   I was confused about the ammo cost.  It's not "premium" per say.  I'll have to try it out.  I am guessing most folks who are new/returning don't realize there is a "difference" as there is no "standard" in drop down.  

So if you go to Service, Click the line item for the gun/ammo you want to pick ammo for, click the arrow to the right, then you can pick universal for credit.  If you change your mind and want to run "standard" ammo, click the line item for the gun/ammo you want to revert, but click the X instead of the arrow.  This will load standard free ammo.

SpiritFoxMY #18 Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1330 battles
Huh. Never realized there was a difference between standard and universal

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

StoptheViolins #19 Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:15 PM

• 1470 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 November 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Huh. Never realized there was a difference between standard and universal

I think standard is one "dot" - whatever that means vs universal which has 6 "dots" total divided between "fire" and "critical"  some have 4/3 (12.7mm and below) 3/3 (20mm and below 30mm) some have 2/4 (30mm and above)

SnickerDoodle99 #20 Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1022 battles
If something is available to everyone, aka the universal ammunition, is it really paying to win?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users