Best t6 turn and burn

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Desmios #1 Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1175 battles

Hello all,

I thoroughly enjoy fighters. I love dog fights where we circle each other and focus for a bit. 

Which aircraft is best for this?  I'm talking most agile, best turning aircraft. 

So I went thru the tech tree and looked at the Yak Russian line. Low altitude but high manueravability. 

Was this the right choice? Is there a better line?  Please let me know. 

P.s. I have a t5 fighter of each line so going up the tech trree of the right line is no issue. 

ThanKS all. 

StoptheViolins #2 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2178 battles
Usually birds within a 100 or so maneuverability are almost hard to tell apart.  But you also need to consider time to kill.  A Yak might out turn another plane but it does you no good if it takes so long that it's buddy has time to kill you.

Desmios #3 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1175 battles

View PostStoptheViolins, on 15 November 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Usually birds within a 100 or so maneuverability are almost hard to tell apart. But you also need to consider time to kill. A Yak might out turn another plane but it does you no good if it takes so long that it's buddy has time to kill you.

Ain't that the truth. I'm surprised how long it takes this yak to kill another plane de spite me having the upgraded guns. It's sad. 

hoom #4 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7036 battles

Which Yak line?

The Yak-7 line gets grunty big hub cannon but don't seem to turn so well. (just got the Yak-9)

Yak-1 line are very manoeuvrable but don't carry much in the way of guns. (haven't played yet but they've been a PITA to fly against)

La line is kinda in-between. (have fully upgraded La-5)

Japanese A6M line are probably the best turning planes. (not actually played them but I've learnt not to turn fight them if I can)

UK Spitfires are excellent, I think slightly inferior turning than A6M (partly upgraded Spitfire V)

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Desmios #5 Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1175 battles

View Posthoom, on 15 November 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Which Yak line?

The Yak-7 line gets grunty big hub cannon but don't seem to turn so well. (just got the Yak-9)

Yak-1 line are very manoeuvrable but don't carry much in the way of guns. (haven't played yet but they've been a PITA to fly against)

La line is kinda in-between. (have fully upgraded La-5)

Japanese A6M line are probably the best turning planes. (not actually played them but I've learnt not to turn fight them if I can)

UK Spitfires are excellent, I think slightly inferior turning than A6M (partly upgraded Spitfire V)

I just grabbed and pimped out the Yak-1.  I may try the yak-7 line if you like it though :D

Yak-1 takes so long to kill another plane it is ridiculous.  They might as well call it the 'tickle cannon'

Edited by Desmios, 15 November 2017 - 01:48 PM.

hoom #6 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7036 battles

Yeah LaGG-3 was like that too.

Burst firing the guns will give them time to cool a bit.

A bit of care in target selection when you have the choice is important with so little firepower, if you can pick on low-hitpoint enemies first it can give you a clear six for long enough to wear down the higher hitpoint enemies.

Yak-7 37mm is a blast once you get used to the lead you need for the big gun & start landing hits with it.

Yak-9 & 9U get a whopping 45mm :playing: (still on the stock 20mm though)

Flamu with the Yak-9U

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4434 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
According to plane compare, you'd probably be best off with the A6M5 which has better maneuverability, firepower and HP than the Yak-1 but loses out in speed. Certainly the lower stall speed would be a plus in a turn fight.

I haven't gotten past tier 5 and I'm not planning to play Russian but Yaks are the planes I dislike fighting the most because of their all-round performance.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

comtedumas #8 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6842 battles
  • [FK] FK

That free P39 is pretty good at tuning and burning.  

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

pyantoryng #9 Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1846 battles

The heavy Yak are more sluggish than the light one and leads to even heavier planes...though both side of Yak lines can get to Yak-15.

You are probably better off with the light (1 and 3) Yak going by turnfighting performance alone. The Japanese Navy (Zero) line end up becoming fighters with usable quad 30mm.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Colddawg #10 Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1904 battles
Spitfires are usually good at this tier.

Keep your head on the swivel.

General_Lee_Miserable #11 Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 320 battles
All things considered, the Ki-61 and German Spit 5 are the best all around turn burn planes in that tier.  The Zero is the best pure turner but it has no altitude ability and is made of paper. 

S4pp3REffecT #12 Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 539 battles
  • [151RW] 151RW
A6M5 is awesome...

All of the A6s are amazing and the A7M is a monster (T7 of that line).

Everything changes at T8-10 FYI...

HazeGrayUnderway #13 Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles

My A6M5 is still upgrading but as with prior Zeroes and dealing with them, I never try to dogfight them.

Spitfire V is very good, IMO.  I grinded through to Spitfire IX with a fully Stock Spitfire V and had absolutely zero problems.  In contrast, my F4U-1 would not perform any decently unless heavily upgraded with a decent pilot.  Spitfire V in Stock Config with a 0-1 point Pilot is still very powerful.

That freebie Premium P-39 is also solid as hell.  Great turn and burn and respectable firepower.  The cannon packs a good punch.

Johnny_Wishbone #14 Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 502 battles
The Zeros have the fastest 360 degree turn time and excellent firepower, but are slow, fragile, and don't change direction easily, the Yak-1 line can change direction VERY quickly and have excellent low-altitude velocity but doesn't turn quite so fast as the Zeros and their firepower is a bit lame (although it's concentrated in the nose, which makes up for it, somewhat).  The Spitfires tend to lean towards the Zeros, but give up some turn time for better altitude capability and energy retention, and the Lavochkins lean towards the Yaks, but give up some maneuverability to get a bit more altitude capability (losing energy a bit of energy retention, actually), durability, and HORRIFYING firepower.

Edited by Johnny_Wishbone, 15 November 2017 - 07:35 PM.

PrincessTerrik #15 Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:48 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 303 battles
So if I really want to feel what it's like to turn and burn, would a Spitfire be a good choice then? Out of the Spit, Yak, Ki, and Zero lines it looks like it has best durability, firepower, speed, and altitude. . .only losing out on maneuverability, except that's the name of the game. Except the Ki has the worst firepower and durability to get it. But Ki has almost 180 more points in maneuverability, which is an even greater gap than the 150 point difference between the Spitfire and my Bf 109. . .I'm actually looking more at the numbers for the tier fives, but I'm assuming things stay about the same in the mid tiers within the lines.

hoom #16 Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7036 battles
Really can't go wrong with the Spit :great:

HazeGrayUnderway #17 Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles

For tech tree Turn & Burn fighters that I've worked on, Spitfires and Zeroes, the Zeroes are slower but their insane agility lets them quickly flip around.  This is the fighter you want that can fly in a small area and can maneuver quickly to bring weapons on target.  This is the fighter that quickly, easily can kill one target, flip to the next at a completely different direction, kill that, and keep going.  Spitfire's "fighting space" is a bit larger than the Zero but it's not super squishy as the Japanese fighter.  Honestly, if a Spitfire wants to dance with a Zero, it's going to lose so it has to look for other means to fight.

The only catch to the Zero fighting with low speed, great turns, maneuvers is that low speed... If someone is outside that furball like some Boom & Zoom plane with a couple 20mm cannons, they'll see your slow flying but maneuvering Zero and make a run on you and have a very realistic, easy chance on blasting you.

There is another limiter to the Zero, is it's altitude rating is lower than the Spitfire.  This should not be a problem at Tier IV-VI.  But when you move onto A7 Reppu at Tier VII, I noticed the air-to-air fighting is taking place higher than the 1100m rating the Reppu gets.  Zero is a low altitude fighter, even the A7 Reppu doesn't really change that at Tier VII.  It's not so much the Tier VII competition likes to fight higher... It's that Tier VII can run into Tier VIII and the planes there have higher ceilings, zoomy engines for that kind of fighting.  You'll also run into J8M and Me 262, etc.  The Tier VII Spitfire IX has an altitude rating of 1500 (1600 for Spitfire XIV) so it can tangle up there better than the Zero / Reppu.

vonluckner #18 Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 722 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

Yak-1M is a better TnB fighter than both the Spitfire and A6M in pretty much every way but firepower. La-5 looks like no slouch either. I can understand why people avoid playing the Yak-3 line, simply because the really low firepower is pretty offputting, but the La-5 onward look like air superiority fighters with those wicked roll rates.

Spitfire is obvious and excellent, but I think those two should be mentioned as well.

A6M frankly is not that good. 350mph at T6 is really terrible and just being good at turning isn't enough IMO when the La-5, Yak-1M and Spitfire all go about 50mph faster and only turn slightly worse... the only thing they can't out-turn is the A6M.

StoptheViolins #19 Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2178 battles
Spits and other turners don't like the 302 when used properly.  The spit can't turn fast enough to get at it because it's out of range by the time they do.

hoom #20 Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7036 battles

Block Quote

La-5 looks like no slouch either.

Its nice when turning in a furball but 1 v 1 it gets out turned by Spits & A6M, isn't really fast enough to get away from them either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users