Now Presenting the WOWP Cheatsheet!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Unraveler #41 Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Master Sergeant

• 947 battles

View PostMercsn, on 15 November 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

Regarding aim-assist...I think it's more tied into the perks now. Although, seat of the pants (and knowing WG, especially if they're going more "casual") tells me that there's still some small "gravity" tied to each craft.  I tried a speed build for my fw-190 which didn't include marksmen perks.  This was rough on me as I wasn't able to land enough damage on high speed passes.  So, I went back to marksmen and noticed that I'd get more hits on a pass.  Sure, I was a little bit slower, but my aim wasn't any better and I was scoring more hits.

I have literally been chasing people in my La-x planes and been thinking, "I should not be hitting that guy with this lead".  When the match is a comfortable victory and the bot is much less maneuverable, I've played around with it a bit, varying my shooting lead as well as aiming off his centerline to see where I can still score hits...hits that really shouldn't land.  I'd really be interested in testing it out in a training room.  My guess would be that you need a red plane to try it out on, green planes probably wouldn't have the same "gravity", if it exists at all now (I'm not discounting "placebo" effect, until I have seen aim-assist proved or disproved in the current version).

I think you're on the right track. On a certain non-WG website that lists comprehensive stats on planes (and tanks and ships) each gun has many values which are not displayed in-game. Dispersion is one such parameter, and probably works similarly to how it does in Tanks. Another listed parameter is Autoaim. Some weapons have a relatively high value for this (Bf 109E's synchro MGs, for example) and they don't have to be uniform on any particular plane (Bf 109E's hub cannon has a lower autoaim value). The system appears to apply this autoaim mechanism to correct for any imperfect aim of the player. However, not all weapons have this attribute! Anyone who has tried downing enemy planes in a Ju 88P or IL-2 37mm will know how frustratingly difficult it can be to land hits. Looking at the stats for these particular GA weapons, Autoaim is listed as zero. So even though their Dispersion is very good, without autoaim assistance they are quite poor at anti-air capability (which is fair enough, considering how powerful they would be if they were easy to hit with).

The Heavy Yak line cannons feature excellent Dispersion and moderate Autoaim. Unlike the big GA guns, these cannons actually do hit enemy planes fairly reliably. You still have to aim properly, but they are nowhere near as flaky as their GA counterparts.

Marksman skills and Gunsight equipment enhance (reduce) the dispersion circle so that more shots land closer to where you're aiming and I imagine this works especially well for weapons that have a high autoaim value. For weapons with low (or zero) Autoaim, it might actually make it harder to hit things if your aim isn't perfect. The Dev blog notes hint at this:

Block Quote

It is worth noting that decreasing the spread angle of projectiles can actually make aiming harder for some types of aircraft. Most notable are machines equipped with machinegun batteries that are quite forgiving in terms of skill-dependency. Installing sights will make hitting the target a bit harder for them. Improved sights don’t do much for aircraft equipped with long range high caliber cannons. At the same time machinegunners, as well as aircraft with close-range high caliber cannons will get a nice boost to their shooting efficiency, especially at medium range — if you manage to keep the target in your sights.

Furthermore, there's another interesting note on Marksman II:

Block Quote

Marksman II (3 skill points) — further decreases weapon spread by 5% and improves accuracy when shooting at a maneuverable target by 10%. In terms of game mechanics this means that you will score 10% more hits when aiming at a lead-compensating aiming point imprecisely.

10% more hits when aiming imprecisely? It could be that the 10% bonus from this skill is applied to a weapon's Autoaim value directly. This is important, because the aforementioned GAs would get no benefit at all (10% of zero is still zero). They would still get the 5% improved dispersion, of course.

Mercsn #42 Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles
@Unraveler, very interesting points.  Thanks for reminding me of those substats that aren't listed. I forgot they had different values per plane and such.

Edited by Mercsn, 16 November 2017 - 11:21 AM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Catch21 #43 Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 466 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostWafflesOfWrath, on 16 November 2017 - 02:05 AM, said:

You should never put concealing livery on GA. Attack aircraft as a class take less AA damage and have the capacity to kill all the AA on a cap point. You should wipe out most, if not ALL AA on your first pass, and AA can't damage you if it's dead, making livery useless

Given AA positions are generally at the 4 corners++ of bases (makes tactical sense) and I'm looking to try to help turn over a sector ASAP, I usually focus on biggest (armored) targets. I'd hope the little guys would sort AA positions for me. And the fact they're at the 4 corners++ also makes a 1st pass in something inherently ungainly/unwieldy to take all of them out nigh on impossible.

Any which way, either because I haven't/can't- and others didn't- take out all corner++ flak positions, it seems to me I'm usually taking significant AA fire (as in everyone wants a piece of my [edited]) so Concealed Livery I seems useful. But thanks a million for the suggestion, I'll bear it in mind next few times out and double check, then maybe use Improved Covering I instead.

WafflesOfWrath #44 Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

Master Sergeant

• 598 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostCatch21, on 16 November 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

Given AA positions are generally at the 4 corners++ of bases (makes tactical sense) and I'm looking to try to help turn over a sector ASAP, I usually focus on biggest (armored) targets. I'd hope the little guys would sort AA positions for me. And the fact they're at the 4 corners++ also makes a 1st pass in something inherently ungainly/unwieldy to take all of them out nigh on impossible.

Any which way, either because I haven't/can't- and others didn't- take out all corner++ flak positions, it seems to me I'm usually taking significant AA fire (as in everyone wants a piece of my [edited]) so Concealed Livery I seems useful. But thanks a million for the suggestion, I'll bear it in mind next few times out and double check, then maybe use Improved Covering I instead.

AA does actually prioritize GA over all other aircraft, meaning you're going to be tanking it for your team, but this is only low-alt AA. High- alt will still be unable to fire on you at your low altitude. You want to kill low-alt AA first (triangles) and then high-alt (home plate symbol) if it's a cap that's going to be contested for quite some time. 

Going straight for the jugular and destroying high-value targets is only truly viable on certain points, such as factories or some variants of military bases, for a point like a garrison or an airfield there's mostly low-value target clusters and some AA. I still prioritize AA as the first thing to kill (1.9 force of habit) because that's less damage hurting your teammates, and dead teammates = less cap meter (which hurt your efforts in the first place). I do see what you're saying, though.

If you have, say, 75% of a factory capped and you suddenly draw a bead on the massive, high-value target in the center...yeah, you should unload on that thing and secure the point. Each method has its own merits. Also remember that AA is less of a threat the lower tier you are. If you're in an il-2(mod), you might be able to ignore it for a bit.

Edited by WafflesOfWrath, 17 November 2017 - 05:41 AM.

ARCNA442 #45 Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

Senior Airman

• 299 battles

New question about recommended equipment - why wouldn't you put Improved Aircraft Polish on the P-38J?

It gives you +25% acceleration when diving which I have found dramatically improves the plane's ability to escape from bad situations.

SithSteel #46 Posted Yesterday, 02:27 AM

Senior Airman

• 337 battles

Hi. So, what's the rule of thumb on the radiator and engine tuning? Should I continue using them on my XP-44, Yak-7, or Fw 190 A? Given the good boost on these planes, especially the XP-44 and Fw 190 A, I figured a faster recharging engine would be useful. 

ARCNA442 #47 Posted Yesterday, 06:57 AM

Senior Airman

• 299 battles

A 5% boost in engine power doesn't really seem worth it to me but I am rapidly growing to appreciate the radiator.

I've only played the American lines, but now my thinking for multirole fighters is: radiator / lightweight airframe / gunsight. Since multiroles don't really excel in any one area, I figure the equipment should reflect their versatility and boost speed, maneuverability, and DPS.

SithSteel #48 Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Senior Airman

• 337 battles

View PostARCNA442, on 20 November 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

A 5% boost in engine power doesn't really seem worth it to me but I am rapidly growing to appreciate the radiator.

I've only played the American lines, but now my thinking for multirole fighters is: radiator / lightweight airframe / gunsight. Since multiroles don't really excel in any one area, I figure the equipment should reflect their versatility and boost speed, maneuverability, and DPS.

Which American multirole do you think fits best with the radiator? Or do they benefit from it equally? I haven't gone down the Pacific line, yet.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users