How does Team Ranking work?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

HazeGrayUnderway #1 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:53 AM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

I'm trying to figure out how the game Ranks people in the team / combat group at the end of the match.  There are occasions where I finish with significantly higher Combat Points than anyone else in the team, yet I do not have 1st, 2nd, place, etc.  One example:

14k Combat Points, second closest was 9k on the team and I didn't even get 3rd place.

https://i.imgur.com/hsmPOlb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VsTWIPS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bdOLIsm.jpg

I've run into this multiple times, I'll have MUCH higher points than anyone else in the team, in the match, and I do not get even 3rd place.

Orion03 #2 Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:24 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 425 battles

You have to do what they want your plane type to do.

You have to read what your "tasks" are and do those tasks and then you'll get the ranking.

And you have to do the tasks in the capture circles in order to count.

A beaufighter, it's not enough to shoot stuff down, you have to capture sectors by destroying ground targets, and defend sectors by shooting planes down.

I think you press tab as the battle starts and it tells you what your plane type should do.

if you want to do well just shooting down planes, get a fighter.

Helsemaine #3 Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:16 AM

Senior Airman

• 408 battles

In this case, your main problem is the third number, "capture points received".

The fact that you have 10 kills (first number) but only 35 points (third number) means that almost every one of your kills were outside the objective circles, thus they did not help your team score points. All the players ranked above you got fewer kills yes, but the kills they got counted towards team victory. Yours did not.

Just like in boxing, scoring punches outside the ring hurts your opponent but doesn't count towards scoring.

HazeGrayUnderway #4 Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:10 AM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

View PostHelsemaine, on 14 November 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

In this case, your main problem is the third number, "capture points received".

The fact that you have 10 kills (first number) but only 35 points (third number) means that almost every one of your kills were outside the objective circles, thus they did not help your team score points. All the players ranked above you got fewer kills yes, but the kills they got counted towards team victory. Yours did not.

Just like in boxing, scoring punches outside the ring hurts your opponent but doesn't count towards scoring.

That's ridiculous.  I kill planes and it doesn't get weighted because I didn't do it in a circle...

Destroyer_Suzukaze #5 Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 277 battles

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 13 November 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

That's ridiculous.  I kill planes and it doesn't get weighted because I didn't do it in a circle...

It does get weighted, it earns you money. It does not help you cap. 

HazeGrayUnderway #6 Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:22 AM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 14 November 2017 - 04:21 AM, said:

It does get weighted, it earns you money. It does not help you cap. 

One less plane in the air for us to deal with, one less plane the enemy can spawn again.

Orion03 #7 Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 425 battles

shoot the ones in the circle so that it counts.

That's the game at the moment.

Like shooting down the bomber flights. You have to do it or else lose the base, but you don't get XP from doing it. That sucks.

Mercsn #8 Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 13 November 2017 - 10:22 PM, said:

One less plane in the air for us to deal with, one less plane the enemy can spawn again.

But...that plane will be back again in a few seconds, unless it's after squall line.  So, you may be taking out an enemy, but essentially, you've also taken your own aircraft out of the fight by not capturing or defending a zone.   In this case, you still achieved victory, so either try and achieve your kills in a zone or be happy that you won regardless of where you ranked by aircraft efficiency. Also, if it makes you feel better, you can click the top of the column to sort by score instead of aircraft type grade.  Also, if you're trying to complete some mission, check the requirements.  I noticed that one recently said "finish in the top 5 of your team by score".  You would have been good there, you were #1.  If it said finish in the top 3 by "aircraft type grade" then you wouldn't qualify.

Think of conquest as an actual battle.  You're just a pilot in a plane, not the commander of the air wing who decided what targets to hit.  You go where you're told to go and do what you're told to do there.  They say, "go to the plant and provide cover for your ground attack planes and help them knock out targets if no enemy aircraft are present", so you do that.  They didn't say, "fly off to wherever and kill whatever..."  I'm not saying don't play how you want....just trying to put it in RP (role play) perspective for ya.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Bubba_Zanetti #9 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Remove s from https (i.e. http://i.imgur.com/bdOLIsm.jpg)

HazeGrayUnderway #10 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

View PostMercsn, on 14 November 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

But...that plane will be back again in a few seconds, unless it's after squall line.  So, you may be taking out an enemy, but essentially, you've also taken your own aircraft out of the fight by not capturing or defending a zone.   In this case, you still achieved victory, so either try and achieve your kills in a zone or be happy that you won regardless of where you ranked by aircraft efficiency. Also, if it makes you feel better, you can click the top of the column to sort by score instead of aircraft type grade.  Also, if you're trying to complete some mission, check the requirements.  I noticed that one recently said "finish in the top 5 of your team by score".  You would have been good there, you were #1.  If it said finish in the top 3 by "aircraft type grade" then you wouldn't qualify.

Think of conquest as an actual battle.  You're just a pilot in a plane, not the commander of the air wing who decided what targets to hit.  You go where you're told to go and do what you're told to do there.  They say, "go to the plant and provide cover for your ground attack planes and help them knock out targets if no enemy aircraft are present", so you do that.  They didn't say, "fly off to wherever and kill whatever..."  I'm not saying don't play how you want....just trying to put it in RP (role play) perspective for ya.

We don't have infinite spawns.  A shot down plane from the enemy combat group is one less respawn.  Bleeding the other team dry in respawns is valid because you get the reds to field a depleted team earlier, hopefully before your own.

I also keep it sorted by score.

And Bubba_Zanetti, thx.  I don't know why this board hates the format when the same boards in WoWS official boards accepts the straight link for the image to show with no problems.

Bubba_Zanetti #11 Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 14 November 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

And Bubba_Zanetti, thx.  I don't know why this board hates the format when the same boards in WoWS official boards accepts the straight link for the image to show with no problems.

Things that make you go “hmmm”.  You get used to this befuddled WG/Persha way of making/enacting choices, while hoping one day soon they’ll get their act in gear.  It’s an uphill battle though.  They’re their worst enemy.

Mercsn #12 Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 14 November 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

We don't have infinite spawns.  A shot down plane from the enemy combat group is one less respawn.  Bleeding the other team dry in respawns is valid because you get the reds to field a depleted team earlier, hopefully before your own.

I also keep it sorted by score.

You have infinite respawns as long as it's before the "squall line" cutoff.  Each respawn just adds seconds to the respawn timer.  There's no depleting respawns.  Owning airfields can even negate any extra time as they reduce the respawn timer, down to the minimum of 10 seconds.  Also, I'm VERY suspicious that "player bot" don't obey the increased respawn delay between deaths.

So, you kill a guy and he'll come back every time.  Players and "player bots" can respawn as long as you killed him before the timeout for "squall line".  Which means, even after squal line hits, you can have enemies respawning 20,30,40 seconds after squall line cutoff, depending on how much of a respawn timer that had accumulated.

AND, vs another player, I specifically waited to kill his wounded plane until AFTER the timer hit zero.  He messages in chat, "yes, it's letting me respawn!"  So, add a few seconds onto that cutoff, even.

This forum software has been garbage since the switched to it.  To get pic links to work, I have to preview, post, edit, preview, post.

Edited by Mercsn, 14 November 2017 - 02:22 PM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

HazeGrayUnderway #13 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles
Ahh, interesting, thx on that clarification.

trikke #14 Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles

View PostMercsn, on 14 November 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

You have infinite respawns as long as it's before the "squall line" cutoff.  Each respawn just adds seconds to the respawn timer.  There's no depleting respawns.  Owning airfields can even negate any extra time as they reduce the respawn timer, down to the minimum of 10 seconds.  Also, I'm VERY suspicious that "player bot" don't obey the increased respawn delay between deaths.

So, you kill a guy and he'll come back every time.  Players and "player bots" can respawn as long as you killed him before the timeout for "squall line".  Which means, even after squal line hits, you can have enemies respawning 20,30,40 seconds after squall line cutoff, depending on how much of a respawn timer that had accumulated.

AND, vs another player, I specifically waited to kill his wounded plane until AFTER the timer hit zero.  He messages in chat, "yes, it's letting me respawn!"  So, add a few seconds onto that cutoff, even.

This forum software has been garbage since the switched to it.  To get pic links to work, I have to preview, post, edit, preview, post.

ty, mercsn!    always great posts from you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users