AHA!!! A CLUE!!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

SnickerDoodle99 #1 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

Master Sergeant

• 324 battles

So after getting my brain matter splattered all over the cockpit by bots for games on end, I decided "I'm gonna watch these monkeys and see what they do"

#1 - At the beginning of each battle, the light, heavy and multi role fighters all went practically straight up. Why I wondered? Then I realized they were climbing and then diving down into the mob of neutral defense fighters as opposed to flying into them horizontally.

--- AHA!! A CLUE!!!

So I decide to try this tactic myself in my BF109....

The result?

Fighter 2nd Class, top of the exp list and enough badges to fill my pockets plus an Akamatsu's Medal. One of my best results yet.

Krautjaeger #2 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

Master Sergeant

• 290 battles
  • [KOOKS] KOOKS

View PostSnickerDoodle99, on 13 November 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

So after getting my brain matter splattered all over the cockpit by bots for games on end, I decided "I'm gonna watch these monkeys and see what they do"

#1 - At the beginning of each battle, the light, heavy and multi role fighters all went practically straight up. Why I wondered? Then I realized they were climbing and then diving down into the mob of neutral defense fighters as opposed to flying into them horizontally.

--- AHA!! A CLUE!!!

So I decide to try this tactic myself in my BF109....

The result?

Fighter 2nd Class, top of the exp list and enough badges to fill my pockets plus an Akamatsu's Medal. One of my best results yet.

Nice one. Grats. :great:

SnickerDoodle99 #3 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• 324 battles
Ty ty. For a potato like me, it was one of my best games. I actually managed to survive from start to finish. That's rare for me, lol

Colddawg #4 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 241 battles

Good job.

I've also noticed that the team AI tactics are pretty textbook.  There's a few things they won't do, but generally they're better than the Defender AI.

One thing you can count on them to do though is a slow barrel roll which is easy to follow.  It throws off one's aim just a little but only buys the team AI a few more seconds to live.  Sometimes this is enough, most times it isn't.

:playing:

Keep your head on the swivel.

mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSnickerDoodle99, on 13 November 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

Ty ty. For a potato like me, it was one of my best games. I actually managed to survive from start to finish. That's rare for me, lol

The tactic you discovered is called, "Boom and Zoom (BnZ)". 

It actually can be considered a defensive tactic as opposed to an offensive one. 

It operates on the principle of turning potential energy (altitude) into kinetic energy (speed). These two elements are exchangeable and a surplus of one can be turned into a surplus of the other.

Boosting while climbing allows you to climb at a higher angle allowing you to gain more altitude quicker. Boosting is essentially "free energy" because it can increase your speed and altitude at the same time. Climbing without boosting means you have to climb at a shallower angle. If you climb at a steeper angle without boosting you will lose speed faster. 

Generally the higher you go, the more your plane performance will drop. This causes a disadvantage from climbing too high, as your plane won't have enough speed to fly and you will go into a stall. 

On the other hand, if you dive from a high altitude you will gain more speed the longer you dive. The rate at which you gain speed is determined by the angle at which you dive. You don't need to boost while diving because you will need that boost when you want to climb again. 

Planes with good climb rates, max speed, and acceleration at better at BnZ. 

With 2.0 several factors made BnZ less effective.

Climb rates have been super inflated so anyone can catch you in a climb. The lowering of the service ceiling means you can't gain as much potential energy as you used to. 

There are a few more but I'm getting tired of typing.  

Generally the meta has shifted from energy fighting or BnZ to turn fighting only. :(

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

hoom #6 Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Block Quote

One thing you can count on them to do though is a slow barrel roll which is easy to follow. 

Yes that needs to be fixed.

Once you get a shot or two into them they flip into that barrel roll & are toast.

They're pretty dangerous if you ignore them though, will definitely zap you if you're not taking appropriate defensive measures.

The Heavy Defense fighters in particular have been giving me hell when I'm in Fighters, much more than the Defense Fighters the Heavies work as a pair (possibly just lower turn rate prevents them from going their own way), actively use boom & zoom.

I'll often spot & dodge one dive only to get smashed by the 2nd I hadn't seen/expected :hiding:

Fun thing about going in above a furball is often an enemy will pop up chasing someone, they make great targets when they run out of boost near your level & if not actually stalling they lack speed to get out of the way when you pounce on them.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

SnickerDoodle99 #7 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Master Sergeant

• 324 battles
One thing.. and maybe I'm a goofball on this. But regardless of wether I'm coming out of a dive or climb, if I have to turn to tail an enemy I will hit the air brakes.. is this the right thing to do?

mnbv_fockewulfe #8 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

In this meta, I would say its alright to slow down to get on an enemy tail.

Slowing down allows you to get more time on target and helps prevent you from overshooting.

Ways to slow down include:

airbrakes (S key), flaps (set to E key), and high yo-yo (pull up to bleed airspeed nose down to shoot).  

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

SnickerDoodle99 #9 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

Master Sergeant

• 324 battles
but will slowing down allow you a smaller turn radius?

mullyman #10 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 30 battles
Yes,  but then you have to accelerate out of the turn
mullyman.png

SnickerDoodle99 #11 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• 324 battles
okay, thank you. :)

mnbv_fockewulfe #12 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSnickerDoodle99, on 13 November 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

okay, thank you. :)

NP,

around here you'll find plenty of people willing to give advice so long as you don't say you know better even when we give you an answer ;) 

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

hoom #13 Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Block Quote

Yes,  but then you have to accelerate out of the turn

And hope there isn't someone doing a BnZ on you

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Orion03 #14 Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 425 battles

if you are in a heavy fighter then don't slow and turn, run away and come back (boom and zoom)

later in the game you will notice that the Zero>spitfire>Me109>P51 in turning.

So if you are in a P51 you will lose to a Zero/Spitfire in a turn battle.

Zergling #15 Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 545 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
The ability to admit you're doing something wrong and try to learn better is quite rare, so good on you OP.

SnickerDoodle99 #16 Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:47 PM

Master Sergeant

• 324 battles
:)

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #17 Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• 204 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

View PostOrion03, on 14 November 2017 - 03:38 AM, said:

So if you are in a P51 you will lose to a Zero/Spitfire in a turn battle.

Unfortunately, with alt/target no longer working to show type at range, it is now quite common for me to bounce or get bounced by a superior performing plane I cannot out-turn or out-run.

GhostPrime #18 Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

BnZ is a great tactic that works well for certain high altitude fighters, such as Heavy fighters. You do run the risk of losing your energy and not being able to recover, so that is something to consider, but with practice, this will become second nature.

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

mnbv_fockewulfe #19 Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostGhostPrime, on 14 November 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

BnZ is a great tactic that works well for certain high altitude fighters, such as Heavy fighters. You do run the risk of losing your energy and not being able to recover, so that is something to consider, but with practice, this will become second nature.

I'm sorry Ghost, but your wrong. 

BnZ is no longer a viable tactic for staying alive.

Although with respawn that doesn't really matter anymore.

Climbing above 3,000m no longer provides any sort of advantage anymore because of this problem. http://forum.wotlabs...and-dispersion/

When the problem only applied to T9 and 10 it now applies to  T6 and up.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users