Mastery Points, Chevrons and Combat Points?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Thornir #1 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 445 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

Ok, couple hundred games in 2.0...questions:

What are "Mastery Points"? What are they used for?

Post battle rankings are based on the Chevrons, which I presume are an indicator of how well you did your job in the aircraft type you're in, then combat points?

Thanks in advance!

GiN_nTonic #2 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

Captain

• 38 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I am still trying to figure it all out myself as well.  I wish WG would release some more in-depth videos explaining what is happening and the math behind what is the most effective ways to gain pts vs defend against the enemy taking points. 

mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostGiN_nTonic, on 13 November 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

I am still trying to figure it all out myself as well.  I wish WG would release some more in-depth videos explaining what is happening and the math behind what is the most effective ways to gain pts vs defend against the enemy taking points. 

Easy to learn, hard easy to master!:great:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

pyantoryng #4 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

Mastery points is your EXP earnings...there are times that you can get 1k mastery but only a few thousands of combat points and others you can get as much combat points as you can possibly get but barely 1k mastery.

Apparently those popups that pop as you kill stuff are one of the sources of mastery...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Colddawg #5 Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 241 battles

Post battle rankings are based on whatever you want them to be based on.  WoWP just defaults to chevrons.

Here's the trick to getting the most out of your battles:  Don't fight in open airspace, always be fighting in CP controlled territory.  This go towards multiplying your results.

If an AI aircraft leaves controlled airspace let it go, players won't typically leave the airspace if you stay in it.  Defense of CP airspace nets some good points and it is part of most all aircraft type mastery requirements.

Keep your head on the swivel.

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #6 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Master Sergeant

• 204 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

Experimented in the training room with a flight-mate, over neutral territory only; flying pure fighters this still counted towards segments on the [middle] ''type'' status circle = downing enemy aircraft.

Obviously no supremacy points were earned by either of us.

Blue results:

- 1051 damage translated to [480] combat points & [5800] mastery points.

- 4 shoot downs translated from [2] aerial targets destroyed, along with a ram and Avenger.

Red results:

- 500 damage translated to [120] combat points & [3100] mastery points.

- 1 shoot down translated from [1] aerial targets destroyed, along with a combat point earned and Avenger.

But yeah, I have no idea how to figure out the scoring other than to keep trying what @Colddawg suggested (regardless of the abysmal bot behavior...), because whatever/however the metric is it all seems rather ambiguous.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 14 November 2017 - 10:31 PM.

Conal_Cochran #7 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 17 battles
Frankly,  I don't think it matters...it's a lot of flash and bang and hey look at the shiny stuff and ooh explosions. Classic diversion tactics lol.  I'm 9-5 so far just screwing around. .

pyantoryng #8 Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:06 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostColddawg, on 13 November 2017 - 09:08 PM, said:

Post battle rankings are based on whatever you want them to be based on.  WoWP just defaults to chevrons.

Here's the trick to getting the most out of your battles:  Don't fight in open airspace, always be fighting in CP controlled territory.  This go towards multiplying your results.

If an AI aircraft leaves controlled airspace let it go, players won't typically leave the airspace if you stay in it.  Defense of CP airspace nets some good points and it is part of most all aircraft type mastery requirements.

Fighting in open airspace is more tactically sound...because nobody will be contributing anything to either capture or defense, leaving sectors open for NPC attack or doing its work without interruption.

...but hey, you're in it for the EXP, right?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Seafodder #9 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Senior Airman

• 531 battles
  • [OTG-I] OTG-I
Personally, I like to win but maximizing my exp is a close second...  So exp is based on the ranking stat, not the combat points stat?  Or some combination of the two?

Thornir #10 Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 445 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View Postpyantoryng, on 14 November 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

Fighting in open airspace is more tactically sound...because nobody will be contributing anything to either capture or defense, leaving sectors open for NPC attack or doing its work without interruption.

...but hey, you're in it for the EXP, right?

​This is at odds with everything I've seen or heard to date, which is, don't fight outside the circles. 

I understand dying inside the circles is bad, but didn't understand anyone previously to say that fighting in them is suboptimal.

Can you explain further, please?

trikke #11 Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles
should be called 'mystery points'

pyantoryng #12 Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

I don't think the mastery points are tied to chevrons at all...or only coincidentially.

Mastery points come in as you do things that get the little milestones to appear on upper right corner...kills, assists, targets destroyed...certain acts seem to contribute as well, such as bomb kills, rocket kills, and apparently even ram kills and "Avenger". Things that appear in blue boxes with progress and some yellow boxes on the upper right corner of the screen...

Thornir #13 Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 445 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View Postpyantoryng, on 16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

I don't think the mastery points are tied to chevrons at all...or only coincidentially.

Mastery points come in as you do things that get the little milestones to appear on upper right corner...kills, assists, targets destroyed...certain acts seem to contribute as well, such as bomb kills, rocket kills, and apparently even ram kills and "Avenger". Things that appear in blue boxes with progress and some yellow boxes on the upper right corner of the screen...

Ok, but what good are they?

Pogo68 #14 Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Posttrikke, on 15 November 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

should be called 'mystery points'

​That's what I read when I saw them on the mission requirement.

So far of the 9 (3+3+3) missions that I'm supposed to have them (3,000 in a mission + win) I've at 1+0+2, and it's been like that since sunday.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

trikke #15 Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles
maybe they give you 'forum points'

pyantoryng #16 Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostThornir, on 16 November 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Ok, but what good are they?

They are directly tied to your EXP payout.

SpiritFoxMY #17 Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 248 battles

What's the average CP score a player should aim for to be able to say that they're at least competent in the game? 3k - 5k seems about average while 5k - 7k looks good.

I'm having trouble keeping my CP score above 4k in the Focke Wulf line while the Spitfire, Zero and Beaufighter regularly score in the 8k - 12k range - is it a function of the plane, an issue with my playstyle, "just the meta"? I got yelled at in chat yday for not pulling my weight in a match >.>;

Thornir #18 Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 445 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 18 November 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

What's the average CP score a player should aim for to be able to say that they're at least competent in the game? 3k - 5k seems about average while 5k - 7k looks good.

I'm having trouble keeping my CP score above 4k in the Focke Wulf line while the Spitfire, Zero and Beaufighter regularly score in the 8k - 12k range - is it a function of the plane, an issue with my playstyle, "just the meta"? I got yelled at in chat yday for not pulling my weight in a match >.>;

​It's really hard to say. One game, you have 6 humans on a team, the next game 2...and not all the maps are balanced depending on the side where you start. One game you're brilliant, the next you can't get out of spawn...I wish I could see my win % by aircraft, so I could have SOME indicator of what's working and what's not.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users