Improved Aircraft Polish Test Results

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Unraveler #1 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

Master Sergeant

• 947 battles

I was curious to know if the Aerodynamics Expert skill worked with the Improved Aircraft Polish equipment (for Heavy Fighters), as the description states "Aircraft Polish" but doesn't specifically mention "Improved Aircraft Polish." After a few training room speed tests, here's what I discovered.

Improved Aircraft Polish increases both cruising speed (level flying, with no control inputs) and maximum speed (level flying, with full boost) by 5%. Pretty obvious, but I can confirm that the equipment works as expected.

Aerodynamics Expert increases the Improved Aircraft Polish speed bonus to 7%. Confirmed! Again, this might seem obvious but I've come across threads concerning IAP and AE that claimed otherwise. Maybe it was an old bug that has since been fixed.

On a side note, I found that a 50% pilot has no negative effect on either cruising speed or maximum speed, though it might affect acceleration (engine power).

Mercsn #2 Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles
Thanks for taking the time to experiment and report!

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

poisonousblood #3 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

Senior Airman

• 705 battles
oh i thought those things were there to give you a mental satisfaction that you are flying with extraordinary speed!

thanks for your research ;)

scrapking #4 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 540 battles
  • [BLAR] BLAR
Thanks for your time investment, I was curious about this myself.

Wesrin #5 Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 254 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Please keep in mind the polish does NOT make your plane faster on its own, rather simply reduces drag. Your engine is what generates thrust. 99% of all dogfights in this game involve trading energy for maneuvering. You are better off with engine tuning in almost any scenario.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

CruzANDBruz #6 Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

Master Sergeant

• 797 battles

View PostWesrin, on 13 November 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Please keep in mind the polish does NOT make your plane faster on its own, rather simply reduces drag. Your engine is what generates thrust. 99% of all dogfights in this game involve trading energy for maneuvering. You are better off with engine tuning in almost any scenario.

​That makes sense. What about lightweight airframe? Is engine tuning generally a better way to go for a fighter or multirole? When they say lightweight airframe "increases maneuverability in all axes", what exactly are they saying? Just that the plane will roll and change directions quicker?

A tighter circle seems to be what I need to get behind someone in turn and burn. I've experimented with flaps and reducing throttle, that can help, but that also robs energy. I usually run "improved covering", "lightweight airframe" and "improved optical" in my fighters and multi-roles. I'm also curious as to whether I need "improved optical" once I've mastered marksman 1. I was thinking dropping improved optical for engine tuning.

Any opinions welcomed. I know these nuances probably aren't as critical in 2.0, but I'm always looking for an edge.

Edited by CruzANDBruz, 13 November 2017 - 04:11 PM.

Wesrin #7 Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 254 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostCruzANDBruz, on 13 November 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

​That makes sense. What about lightweight airframe? Is engine tuning generally a better way to go for a fighter or multirole? When they say lightweight airframe "increases maneuverability in all axes", what exactly are they saying? Just that the plane will roll and change directions quicker?

A tighter circle seems to be what I need to get behind someone in turn and burn. I've experimented with flaps and reducing throttle, that can help, but that also robs energy. I usually run "improved covering", "lightweight airframe" and "improved optical" in my fighters and multi-roles. I'm also curious as to whether I need "improved optical" once I've mastered marksman 1. I was thinking dropping improved optical for engine tuning.

Any opinions welcomed. I know these nuances probably aren't as critical in 2.0, but I'm always looking for an edge.

Light weight airframe decreases TTT 360, and increases roll and pitch rates by 3%. It is a great mod for turnfighters.

The optic does help your dps, but you better served by engine tuning. It is required when dealing with heavy fighters as you boost after them when they make a pass.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

Einssniper #8 Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Energy is the most important, as Wesrin said you can trade energy with

maneuverability, with the difference in turn rate being smaller and smaller

it is even more true.

Zapperguy #9 Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 23 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostMercsn, on 13 November 2017 - 05:54 AM, said:

Thanks for taking the time to experiment and report!

This +1

:great:

CruzANDBruz #10 Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

Master Sergeant

• 797 battles

View PostWesrin, on 13 November 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

Light weight airframe decreases TTT 360, and increases roll and pitch rates by 3%. It is a great mod for turnfighters.

The optic does help your dps, but you better served by engine tuning. It is required when dealing with heavy fighters as you boost after them when they make a pass.

​Thanks. Sounds like a good idea to keep the lightweight airframe and experiment with swapping improved optical for engine tuning. 

ARCNA442 #11 Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Senior Airman

• 299 battles

Thanks for sharing your research.

Your comment about a 50% pilot  does make me wonder exactly what stats pilot training effects - as far as I've been able to tell, a wounded pilot only reduces accuracy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users