P-47 Tips Aircraft Help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

AncientRaig #1 Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:13 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 109 battles
  • [KRTFL] KRTFL
I recently unlocked the P-47 and got everything unlocked for it except the bombs and rockets. It's one of my favorite aircraft in real life, so it was one of the first planes I got in WoWP, after the F4U-1. But it's utterly disappointing in every possible way. Weak armament due to MGs, even massed .50 cals, being arbitrarily classified as "low damage" and having an RNG cone of fire, slow speed as soon as you run out of boost, turns like a brick due to... well, due to being a P-47. It's pretty terrible. What's the point in this plane? How am I supposed to fly it? Compared to the Corsair it's worse in every single way save for 40 extra HP, which is practically nothing.

ArrowZ_ #2 Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10 battles

If the p-47 got hit with its altitude performance in 2.0 then yea there's not much you can do. In this state you'll need to spec the p-47 with all speed and engine upgrades to make up for its dead weight. I'll give them this, the p47 can definitely dive pretty fast. So horizontal boom and zoom is your option. Avoid vertical dogfights and obviously avoid turn and burning.

As for equipment. I would do reinforcement (+hp +critical damage resist),  Lightweight (all axis +manoeuvrability), engine tuning (+engine power)

Pilot skills : aerobatics expert, engine I & II (forgot the name), Evasive tactics (active skill), and that skill that increases your speed and sight (5% top speed), and marksman I.

Basically you're going to need a damn good pilot to fly a p-47 to get it anywhere near to what it was at 1.9. The grind looks like it's going to be rough. But we all went through that brickwall many times times before. Just depends on what you want to do. If in the end you don't like it. Just find another line or stick to the corsair. WOWP is not known for historical accuracy. They're bound to screw with the planes characteristics for the sake of balance. 

Edited by ArrowZ_, 13 November 2017 - 01:15 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

StoptheViolins #3 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 621 battles
To get to the P-47D...

comtedumas #4 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles
  • [NIN-] NIN-

View PostAncientRaig, on 12 November 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

I recently unlocked the P-47 and got everything unlocked for it except the bombs and rockets. It's one of my favorite aircraft in real life, so it was one of the first planes I got in WoWP, after the F4U-1. But it's utterly disappointing in every possible way. Weak armament due to MGs, even massed .50 cals, being arbitrarily classified as "low damage" and having an RNG cone of fire, slow speed as soon as you run out of boost, turns like a brick due to... well, due to being a P-47. It's pretty terrible. What's the point in this plane? How am I supposed to fly it? Compared to the Corsair it's worse in every single way save for 40 extra HP, which is practically nothing.

Put engine tuning on it, Engine Guru, it’s follow up pilot skill, marksmanship, there is another pilot skill that boosts engine tuning and play a half ga and half Air to air fighter and it’s a beast. Nothing can kill aa gun barrels fast that a P47 except maybe a Corsair.   Use boost in spurts.  Put on a maneuverability module.  And 8 .50s will still shred planes PDQ, nerf or not.

Edited by comtedumas, 13 November 2017 - 02:52 AM.

Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pyantoryng #5 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:54 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles
P-47N is the best for matching speed with bombers and fire rockets at them...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

StoptheViolins #6 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 621 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 12 November 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

P-47N is the best for matching speed with bombers and fire rockets at them...

260 with that 57 mm 2 shots per bomber gun..

pyantoryng #7 Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:58 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostStoptheViolins, on 13 November 2017 - 02:57 AM, said:

260 with that 57 mm 2 shots per bomber gun..

It doesn't have rockets...and there are things that demand you to kill with rockets.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

StoptheViolins #8 Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 621 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 12 November 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

It doesn't have rockets...and there are things that demand you to kill with rockets.

They need to get rid of some of these stupid missions...

Jyarbro28 #9 Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:05 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Prior to wp2 the 47b was a buzzsaw killer at its tier, but alas, you're right it is a sad effort of a plane now. I took mine out for spin and the blocky maneuverability really hampers it in air-to-air and it doesn't have enough ordinance to make up for "low firepower" guns.

It never was able to turn with anyone, but if you could get a pass at them, they were tore up, not so much now. Maybe the N is better, but overall planes aren't as good as they were.

thehelmsman #10 Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

Senior Airman

• 102 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Yay, cannon bias!   Seriously, though, I haven't played P-47B sicne the 2.0 revamp and this saddens me to read. It was a lot of fun to play it in 1.9. And I can't say I'm a particular fan of the P-51 these days, either, owing to how much work gets done on the deck, where the P-51 can't turn and isn't particularly fast.

--Helms
The Airfield

Zergling #11 Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 545 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
It's not terrible, but it isn't exactly great either.

pyantoryng #12 Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View Postthehelmsman, on 13 November 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yay, cannon bias!   Seriously, though, I haven't played P-47B sicne the 2.0 revamp and this saddens me to read. It was a lot of fun to play it in 1.9. And I can't say I'm a particular fan of the P-51 these days, either, owing to how much work gets done on the deck, where the P-51 can't turn and isn't particularly fast.

--Helms

P-51 family gets the worst shaft. The P-47 (and XP-72) at least have a massive ordnance load compared to other multiroles making them able to carry out raids or assist GAs on hard targets and 8 machine guns (in case of XP-72, six M3 machine guns) on a durable chassis that will tear bomber flights a new one.

Can't help thinking that WG is nerfing energy as a whole by turning the way to win battle into dogfighting bots and a complete overhaul on flight mechanics to favor turning...and increasing cannon power. I remember how ridiculous the 8 machine guns and the XP-72's early access to the M3 is back in 1.9...especially the latter, it feels like I had a cannon plane that heat a lot slower...

vonluckner #13 Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 398 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

View Postpyantoryng, on 13 November 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

P-51 family gets the worst shaft. The P-47 (and XP-72) at least have a massive ordnance load compared to other multiroles making them able to carry out raids or assist GAs on hard targets and 8 machine guns (in case of XP-72, six M3 machine guns) on a durable chassis that will tear bomber flights a new one.

Can't help thinking that WG is nerfing energy as a whole by turning the way to win battle into dogfighting bots and a complete overhaul on flight mechanics to favor turning...and increasing cannon power. I remember how ridiculous the 8 machine guns and the XP-72's early access to the M3 is back in 1.9...especially the latter, it feels like I had a cannon plane that heat a lot slower...

The weakness of the P-47 line is that even the T9 and T10 look like dogs. Perhaps that's characteristic of Multi-roles when comparing them to LFs, but at least the cannons on the others allow them to be more opportunistic when shooting- not to mention more dramatic effect when a connection happens. The rockets are substantial and I look forward to trying the F-84F, but it looks really bad, especially when compared alongside something like the J7W3. If they had a relatively fast reload that would be a pleasant surprise that might redeem it for me.

The F-86 (and P-51 line more generally) has a pretty excellent combination of speed, maneuverability, and high altitude performance, and other cannon-armed fighters have either much lower flight ceilings (Yak-30/La-15/Ki-162-III), or worse maneuverability (MiG-15), or fall somewhere between (Swift, P.1101, Fw 252).

It's the case so far on the P-47B that you aren't nearly maneuverable enough to cope with the poor range of your guns, and you don't have the climb rate or speed (which is in practice much lower than advertised) to fight using boom and zoom. You're just sort of praying people don't notice you which isn't very fun.

Edited by vonluckner, 14 November 2017 - 09:09 AM.

StoptheViolins #14 Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 621 battles
Well WG has sanitized the line either to "just do it that way" or to keep player pilots focused on aircraft roles.

Historical a lot of the plane lines had rockets and or bombs. However one of the complaints early on was fighters would strap on bombs and go all GA. It looked like a gnat trying to take down an elephant plus immediately put the team down a fighter.

The Multi role line on the US tree is GA light focused. Corsair is light light GA while the 4* line is GA light medium. Kind of like a light heavy fighter?

jack_wdw #15 Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21 battles
If the p-47b and p-47n are dissapointing now, i would suggest not to grind that line any further.
The higher tier planes from it's line have only 6 0.50 cals and they do improve a little bit on manoeuvrability, but are easily outturned by most light fighters.

The p-47b/N were (to me) the best from the entire line, but with it's altitude nerfed down, it is stripped of its potential.

Edited by jack_wdw, 14 November 2017 - 02:42 PM.

StoptheViolins #16 Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 621 battles
Concur, but the whole multirole line needs a looking. Artificial nerfing of altitude was a mistake. They can maneuver poorly regardless of altitude.

ARCNA442 #17 Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:16 AM

Senior Airman

• 299 battles

I've been liking the P-47B. The .50 may lack the raw damage of cannon but I find it far more forgiving and eight of them can shred tier 5-6 planes.

However, I think the bombs and rockets make the plane. They give you enough firepower to destroy 2-3 ground targets and really make a difference in capping.

Yesterday I played a game in my P-47B where I was top tier and I captured an airbase from the enemy single handedly because the A2G ordnance let me get a lot of cap points while the .50's could destroy tier 5's in seconds.

Also tagged with P-47, Tips, Aircraft, Help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users